Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

The Zwangsarbeit system was slavery though, and just because other people did similar doesn't make it anything else, otherwise you get into "well actually the Union shot more enslaved Africans than the Confederacy during the American civil war" type hot takes. Yes, because the slave states were forcing them to act as porters in the line of fire. Slavers bear the ultimate responsibility.

It was quite bad but you still had different levels of unpersoning depending on how bad whichever targeted group was perceived as. There was an elaborate system with tables and everything.

That's not to say it was a good fate either way, the nazis really ****ing sucked (obviously).

There was even a fair amount of sexual slavery despite the whole blood purity thing.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Strong echoes of the Daily Mail's "I went to a church and lied and said my family was starving and they sent me to a food bank and I lied to them too and then they gave me free food! Disgusting!" in the BBC here.

https://twitter.com/ellaisrlyonline/status/1658007307152703489

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm sure someone ITT does IT for a charity.

If so, could I PM you with a couple of questions regarding requirements for getting the charity discount licence for Microsoft 365 (we have it and as I understand we have to have a Microsoft certified approved professional for support which we have, but he is rather 'unresponsive' and we've had a security issue lately that luckily we noticed before any damage was done - namely my laptop logged me in to the CEO's Office & her email! She'd used my laptop once before I started work there!) I notified her and she changed her password & made the Brownie Guide promise that I hadn't read any of her stuff - which I hadn't).

I thought we had to have someone with Microsoft Certification of some sort, but recall reading that the particular Certification doesn't exist anymore o what should I be looking for?

PM'ed you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Strong echoes of the Daily Mail's "I went to a church and lied and said my family was starving and they sent me to a food bank and I lied to them too and then they gave me free food! Disgusting!" in the BBC here.

Wow, who would have known that institutions that rely on good faith can be easily manipulated by lying cunts deliberately undermining the system.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seeing updates from the National Conservative (henceforth called the NatCs) cuntfest on Twitter and

https://twitter.com/NatConTalk/status/1658033163279425538?t=_ylW9inET5eOB4IDVo0J9A&s=19

They have sent their best, their best just isn't very good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Breton Beacon

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Seeing updates from the National Conservative (henceforth called the NatCs) cuntfest on Twitter and

https://twitter.com/NatConTalk/status/1658033163279425538?t=_ylW9inET5eOB4IDVo0J9A&s=19

They have sent their best, their best just isn't very good.

...why is an Israeli-American talking about Britain like this? Go suck off your own fascist states you freak, we have enough dickheads in domestic supply.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

...why is an Israeli-American talking about Britain like this? Go suck off your own fascist states you freak, we have enough dickheads in domestic supply.

Presumably it's a paying gig

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Back in the day we could afford our own local scientific racists to speak about how masterfully we colonially bootstomped the world, now we're having to import cheap overseas labour to do the same.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/robdothutton/status/1658044087159738369?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

...so he's for it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm guessing that he realized that they shot themselves in the foot with voter suppression, by copying it from the US South states that did it for racism reasons and ending up mostly disenfranchising older white suburban voters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm more pissed that the Tories removed second-preference voting. I had to grit my teeth and vote piss diamond because anything else would let the Tories in.

Sadly the piss diamond got 100 less votes than the loving Tory so now I'm preparing for the local area to become an austerity hellscape.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

i guess he doesn’t know that Edward the first expelled all the jews in 1290 and they weren’t allowed to return for 350 years? that kind of beacon for europe?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jel Shaker posted:

i guess he doesn’t know that Edward the first expelled all the jews in 1290 and they weren’t allowed to return for 350 years? that kind of beacon for europe?

More likely he does know and that's the kind of example he thinks we should be setting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He already supports at least two pseudohistorical conspiracy theories, so I'm not sure I care to know what he thinks about Jews.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Ein tausend jahre Reich Shining Beacon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The beacon:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

I'm guessing that he realized that they shot themselves in the foot with voter suppression, by copying it from the US South states that did it for racism reasons and ending up mostly disenfranchising older white suburban voters.

In his speech to the NatCon conference, Rees-Mogg (who defended the legislation when he was a minister and it was going through parliament) said:

Parties that try and gerrymander end up finding their clever scheme comes back to bite them, as dare I say we found by insisting on voter ID for elections.
We found the people who didn’t have ID were elderly and they by and large voted Conservative, so we made it hard for our own voters and we upset a system that worked perfectly well.

Ministers insist that the legislation was not introduced for party political advantage, and the Electoral Commission originally called for people to have to show ID when they voted. But the system actually chosen by the government – compulsory photo ID, with the list of acceptable photo ID cards appearing to favour pensioners – did fuel opposition suspicions that the move was, at least in part, intended to suppress the anti-Tory vote.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm betting that the Wes Streetings of the world will now be fully in favour of it.

Which is bad because it still is legitimacy theatre against a problem that doesn't exist, no matter who is being suppressed by it.

We know that the Tories copied arguments from the US without thinking them through, I wonder how the conversation would have played out if Liberty/ERS/etc. hadn't also copied arguments from the US without thinking them through. I saw a lot of the opposition to it on grounds that "it's racist", which only galvanized the racists to favour it, even though the whole thing was built on mistruths.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Guavanaut posted:

This is an incorrect reading of the article and its intent: the NHS specifically did not diagnose him with ADHD, the private services that he paid for a consultation did and were easily tricked into doing so. The article is basically highlighting how loving corrupt and stupid it is to privatise any of this, diagnosis should absolutely not sit with organisation who have a profit motive.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There are two theories of leadership: one is where you stick to your guns no matter what, and the other is that you don’t even try to if you can get away with claiming the Tories hosed the economy so much that you can’t enact broadly popular left wing policies because your corporate paymasters don’t like them.

What a twat, he’s making up the fact that the economy means his policies are “unaffordable”. They’re not, he just isn’t prepared to do anything to make them affordable because it might annoy the Sun.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/OhHeyJacob/status/1657951174761357314?t=-8ZrvfOWzppT87bCjMRlow&s=19

It looks other be an interesting edit of actor Siobhán McSweeney's speech at the BAFTA's by the BBC.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Cork Excellence on display

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Did this get discussed in here yet?

Leaked "draft policy platform that could form 2024 Labour manifesto"

Some good stuff in there, to the point where I'm having trouble believing Starmer would allow any of it to happen

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Scientastic posted:

This is an incorrect reading of the article and its intent: the NHS specifically did not diagnose him with ADHD, the private services that he paid for a consultation did and were easily tricked into doing so. The article is basically highlighting how loving corrupt and stupid it is to privatise any of this, diagnosis should absolutely not sit with organisation who have a profit motive.

Of course the NHS didn't because the waiting list is like 2 to 3 years or longer, hence the proliferation of private services. And I don't think it's an incorrect reading of intent given that they had to be lobbied into changing the original title of the programme which was pretty pointedly "ADHD - self-diagnosed nonsense".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gort posted:

Some good stuff in there, to the point where I'm having trouble believing Starmer would allow any of it to happen

They could print every word as their manifesto & I've simply got no reason to believe they'd meant a single syllable of it. Kieth's shown us what his word is worth already.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/paperbagbadger/status/1658077171297005571?s=20

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Wasn't there that bunch of squaddies using Corbyn's photo as target practice and promising to coup him if he ever got elected?

Wonder what happened to them.

Spoke to an officer about them once. He's fairly sure they were punished severely. Appearing partisan and allowing this stuff to be leaked makes the military look really bad.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Gort posted:

I note that it's mostly based of NPF submissions, so I'd expect most of them to be "not accepted" by the NPF or watered down.

And lots of the more aspirational ones there require more money - while the listed tax reforms are good, but few in number. While also restating a commitment to "fiscal rules". Maybe Starmer plans to just make lots of uncosted pledges and rely on perception and the media being bad at maths to get him to office and do something with taxes, but I doubt it. More likely a bunch of aspirational and good policies get dropped either before or in government because bean counters at the Treasury say no.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Lol I met this guy at a wedding last week (he was a +1 of a uni friend, I don’t make a habit of hanging out with Tory MPs).

The people sat on the table with him quizzed him about his job and what he liked about it. His response was that he liked “rooting out bad people”. He ended up leaving early.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scientastic posted:

There are two theories of leadership: one is where you stick to your guns no matter what, and the other is that you don’t even try to if you can get away with claiming the Tories hosed the economy so much that you can’t enact broadly popular left wing policies because your corporate paymasters don’t like them.

What a twat, he’s making up the fact that the economy means his policies are “unaffordable”. They’re not, he just isn’t prepared to do anything to make them affordable because it might annoy the Sun.

If he does something that annoys the Sun then he doesn't get to be Prime Minister. He knows this as well as we do. Not that this is a defence of the man - what's the point of even having the job if only to push someone else's ideology? - but the papers are far worse than he ever could be because he still has to convince people of what he says he thinks whereas the media just tell people to believe it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

His response was that he liked “rooting out bad people”. He ended up leaving early.

Sounds like he's pretty good at his job

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Starmer has no ideology or reasoning behind his actions, he simply reacts to whatever push-polls Akehurst puts in front of him in the same way single-celled organisms react to stimuli. But because he has the appearance of having thoughts (and sensible centrist ones at that), people transpose all kinds of weird justifications on his random flailings.

He's a political sea monkey.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unfair comparison, when single-celled organisms are exposed to ethyl alcohol they die instead of reversing over a cyclist.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Whitey Snipes posted:

Of course the NHS didn't because the waiting list is like 2 to 3 years or longer, hence the proliferation of private services. And I don't think it's an incorrect reading of intent given that they had to be lobbied into changing the original title of the programme which was pretty pointedly "ADHD - self-diagnosed nonsense".

Have you actually read the article? He speaks to an NHS consultant, who runs through the diagnostic criteria and tells him he doesn’t have ADHD. The point is that you can easily game the private system to get hold of drugs based on a system that has an obvious incentive to diagnose people who have paid the fee for that diagnosis and want a prescription.

The point of the article is not that ADHD does not exist, it’s to illustrate the shocking ease with which people can get hold of drugs they don’t need, and to show that the private diagnostic services are a bad thing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1658067353899237377

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The 'slaves' were POWs. If they had been 1000 British POWs not Soviet POWs how do you think the UK population would've judged the success of the raids?

The forced labourers weren't all POWs, POWs were only a small portion of the total.

Out of 7.6M total, i.e. about 15% POWs and the rest captured civilians of various kinds, mostly either politically inconvenient or 'racially impure', but sometimes just because they were young and about when the Germans stopped by (obviously does not apply to countries allied with Germany, except Slovakia because LMBO becoming a breakaway fash state wasn't enough to save them from being randomly taken off the street as labourers and sex slaves - then again it kindof did help them a bit, the quality of life was immeasurably better than in the Czech part, even if they had to go fight the soviets in Russia).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 15, 2023

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Gort posted:

quote:

Introduce a full, trans-inclusive ban on conversion practices while protecting legitimate talking therapies, closing any consent loopholes that remain on the statute book

Build consensus and modernise the process of gender recognition to remove indignities for trans people, while upholding the Equality Act, its protected characteristics and its provision for single-sex exemptions.

Bruv these suck rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
"Talking therapy" is still conversion therapy!!!!