Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That’s a future problem! There’s money to be made NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhQG54QvTTc&t=51s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
about 30 years ago american airlines found out that by removing a single olive from each economy class passenger's breakfast, they could save $150,000 (in today's dollars)

northwestern airlines around the same time found that by cutting a lime into 16 slices instead of 10 for its drinks service, they saved $500,000

so yeah taking an inch off the top of a pringles can has to result in an absolute fuckload of savings for the manufacturer!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I used to always think a lot of those shrinkflation posts were just different packaging made by different regional warehouses or whatever but when they are actually making oreos thinner lol.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PoundSand posted:

this would be true if we actually had competition in the US and functional laws about stuff like price fixing but instead when literally ever brand of seltzer water in the store raises their price by 50% and goes from a 12 pack to an 8 pack by pure magical coincidence as far as our courts are concerned you can get angry but it’s not going to do anything.

sometimes its actually a cartel but most of the time its just that every company is responding to the same stimulus (trptf) in the same way and that causes cartel-like behavior without the need for explicit collusion

the legal solution is to bring capitalism to heel as the cpc has done or to destroy it as best we can as the pcc has done

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm gonna pay this car off two years early and have never missed a payment and this is their offer

I got an Apple Card last weekend b/c I expect to fly home on short notice very soon and that gave me enough additional credit to at least buy the flight home and book someone to check in on my cat daily

I’ve never received a reward for being a good paypig, my insurance keeps going up and my credit rates are like 15%, but I don’t pay interest if I can help it

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

err posted:

I used to always think a lot of those shrinkflation posts were just different packaging made by different regional warehouses or whatever but when they are actually making oreos thinner lol.

Can't wait for Oreos to be basically two communion wafers with a mm of creme in between.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

New! Essence of Oreo! Open the package and take a whiff of the smell of Oreo cookies from the gas filled inside. Now with 35% more Oreo smell! 12.99

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The My Little Pony Holocaust picture but it's a goon and Oreos

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

The My Little Pony Holocaust picture but it's a goon and Oreos

the removal of sierra mist is a genocide

at least my precious mountain dew is still safe...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

err posted:

There are entire consulting companies that just tell them how to do this stuff. It's not at all incidental or random.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I've worked on projects in the food manufacturing industry where per unit profit would be measured in pennies and fractions of pennies. $0.01 across 100,000 units is $1,000

bedpan has issued a correction as of 10:09 on May 15, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Vice Media files for Chapter 11
(allegedly to facilitate a sale)

https://twitter.com/bloombergasia/status/1657995853930307585

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
making poo poo up with AI and then blame AI for it is so much easier

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The question is if people will move from packaged food to fresh food (even though it is also going up) or simply buy cheaper/less healthy packaged food until people are just drinking from an ever shrinking bottle of corn syrup?

Wasn't the net result of the school lunch reforms that the nutritional content went up a bit, but because there weren't strict guidelines, they just got such ridiculously small portions that it wasn't worth it? Those kids probably just bought a candy bar just so they could stand up straight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1658011866767949825

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

There are entire consulting companies that just tell them how to do this stuff. It's not at all incidental or random.

Yeah, everyone uses the same crime consultants

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

even the Costco thread's getting Doom-y

Ah, yeah. I made that post, but I read this thread a lot so that's definitely on brand. I'm thinking about stopping though; the completely honest truth is that the world is getting a little too hosed.

I don't know how long I've been reading this thread- many years- and it was always fun on some level to talk about the state of the world even if those things were, on balance, fairly negative.

But the completely honest truth is that poo poo is bumming me out so bad lately. It's so easy to see that unless something changes, the world will be a pretty horrible place going forward. Too many bad things happening at once.

It's all just a bit too real, I'm going to keep reading for now though and see where it goes. Just really, really upset recently at where things are obviously heading. We're lucky; we decided not to have kids and I thank my lucky stars every loving day for that.

Maybe that makes me a bad person idk but I'm finding it harder and harder to read the Doomsday when the doom is so viscerally real and at our front door. We can see the shoe, we know it's going to drop, we just don't know when, and in the meantime everything is becoming steadily and possibly irrevocably lovely.

anyways sorry I'll stop. I wish you all the best <3 this thread has an incredible duality where it's a place that we congregate to talk about the bad times, but it's ultimately friends talking, which has value. I guess in short, america is a land of contrasts and I think most people would take human companionship where they can get it these days.

Taima has issued a correction as of 13:03 on May 15, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A new study keeps coming out every like four years pointing this out as if it isn’t a known thing that created the middle class in America to begin with but because it might make the wealthy part with .00000001% of their hoards it’ll be memory holed yet again. Meanwhile the government and media will keep staring blankly at a wall and repeating inflation is caused by workers having too much money while companies continue to increase prices and replace two third of processed foods with sawdust and sand to keep getting record smashing profits

liberal economic theory is not a scientific study of economic systems, but ideology in the business of justifying the current economic order.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I'm not nearly as mad about shrinkflation as I should be because Americans could stand to eat less junk food

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

:one year later:

Oops all sunsetted

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m still waiting for the day i can actually do anything useful with Siri on my phone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't use any kind of voice stuff on the phone because I've never been in a situation where talking to your phone like that wouldn't be incredibly conspicuous (and if you're by yourself... like... just use the phone)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't use any kind of voice stuff on the phone because I've never been in a situation where talking to your phone like that wouldn't be incredibly conspicuous (and if you're by yourself... like... just use the phone)

I like to set timers using Siri (via voice trigger) while cooking so my phone doesn’t get all dirty

that’s about it though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m beginning to suspect the economy described by American media does not exist

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what would you estimate the population of undocumented workers to be for example ? 40 million ?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

webcams for christ posted:

Vice Media files for Chapter 11
(allegedly to facilitate a sale)

https://twitter.com/bloombergasia/status/1657995853930307585

I like it when they do the article about a trust fund kid doing a thing poor people normally do but on drugs

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Willa Rogers posted:

At Aldi's self-checkouts they show a video of you in front of you

Incredible opportunity to practice your skills.
Basically watch the video and practice on yourself until you feel comfortable with your slight of hand. Don't actually steal anything during practice runs when you're staring dead eyed at the screen of course.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

i use speech to text for notes when i'm reading outside.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I went to several stores today after a long rear end hike to buy food for grilling since it’s too drat hot. I walked past the ice cream section and it was depressing. $8 for 1.5qts of tillamook ice cream. We don’t often buy ice cream or any sweets for that matter but I wanted to see what the price was.

Usually you can get it on sale for $4-5 and it’s good ice cream, not whipped full of air but I’m dreading the day that brand goes even further to poo poo. It’s my go to ice cream, I like the small pints of local stuff but they are a ripoff and tillamook uses good ingredients, no HFCs.

I’d rather pay that than pay salt and straw or other bougie ice cream shop prices for ice cream. $20+ for a couple of kids scoops and an adult scoop?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Taima posted:

Ah, yeah. I made that post, but I read this thread a lot so that's definitely on brand. I'm thinking about stopping though; the completely honest truth is that the world is getting a little too hosed.

I don't know how long I've been reading this thread- many years- and it was always fun on some level to talk about the state of the world even if those things were, on balance, fairly negative.

But the completely honest truth is that poo poo is bumming me out so bad lately. It's so easy to see that unless something changes, the world will be a pretty horrible place going forward. Too many bad things happening at once.

It's all just a bit too real, I'm going to keep reading for now though and see where it goes. Just really, really upset recently at where things are obviously heading. We're lucky; we decided not to have kids and I thank my lucky stars every loving day for that.

Maybe that makes me a bad person idk but I'm finding it harder and harder to read the Doomsday when the doom is so viscerally real and at our front door. We can see the shoe, we know it's going to drop, we just don't know when, and in the meantime everything is becoming steadily and possibly irrevocably lovely.

anyways sorry I'll stop. I wish you all the best <3 this thread has an incredible duality where it's a place that we congregate to talk about the bad times, but it's ultimately friends talking, which has value. I guess in short, america is a land of contrasts and I think most people would take human companionship where they can get it these days.

I'm not joking when I say take a break from C-SPAM

It may feel like you're gaining control by staying up-to-the-minute informed but you're really just ruminating on how out of your hands the world is. Disconnect a while, focus on things you enjoy, and just try to mellow. If the world ends it won't be because you stopped reading this thread, but when you're reading this thread you're not generally getting as much out of your time as reading a book or talking to loved ones

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ardennes posted:

The question is if people will move from packaged food to fresh food (even though it is also going up) or simply buy cheaper/less healthy packaged food until people are just drinking from an ever shrinking bottle of corn syrup?

Yes but I imagine they'll mix in some xanax and antidepressents or something.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

An industrial experiment in pre‐colonial Africa: the case of imperial Madagascar, 1825–1861

https://twitter.com/spacemarine000/status/1657953387038625793
https://twitter.com/spacemarine000/status/1657957049345495040

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Let's just skip over that "unrenumerated industrial employment" as a possible cause of failure.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Egg Moron posted:

I like it when they do the article about a trust fund kid doing a thing poor people normally do but on drugs

I honestly can't believe "I put vodka in my pussy for 2 weeks. Turns out it's a real bad idea, don't do it." articles weren't a viable business model

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the fed perks up at unremunerated employment and begins salivating

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Taima posted:

instead of reading this forum you should read some Marx and fill your empty vessel with light .

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

I agree. Consultants exist to facilitate collusion. Same thing with the companies that collect/buy wage data and sell it back to employers. Collusion to keep wages down.

Boot and Rally has issued a correction as of 15:05 on May 15, 2023

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

lets see:
- they cut SNAP benefits
- they busted train unions (cant remember if this was before or after)
- they sold a bunch of wildlife land to oil companies
- they ramped up MIC spending and throwing a bunch of weapons into the wind
- they bailed out SVB and FRB
- they ended covid

idk probably some other really good things. they've mostly gone full hoo-rah neocon jingoists qq-ing about china and russia, which is obviously very important to the american people. this lets them pretend they're doing something while material conditions continue to rapidly deteriorate and crumble into ruins

Just Vote ( for Dems who swap to republican after elected or just vote against their constituents desires so we can come together, across the isle, to keep trans people out of society.)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it is time for allah to destroy the dems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

it is time for allah to destroy the dems