Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Am I right in guessing that you can't buy a variant of a card you don't own in the shop but you can open variants of cards you don't own in reserves and rewards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Pretty sure you can't get variants of cards you don't own period, but I think there's been a few exceptions to that. Don't know what but I know it's basically impossible.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I had autographed Nick Fury before I had regular Nick Fury

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bowmore posted:

Am I right in guessing that you can't buy a variant of a card you don't own in the shop but you can open variants of cards you don't own in reserves and rewards?

I think the only bypasses are the bundles, right? I believe you could buy Captain America prior to pulling him. Ditto for Collector, Groot, etc.

The token shop either sells base cards you don't own, or exclusive variants of cards that you do own (baby Hulk with fart cloud, Venom White Queen, arty Namor, etc.).

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

bowmore posted:

Variants for cards you don't own won't appear in the variant shop. I think you can buy such variants if there is special bundle in the shop (e.g. Chibi Spider-Man that was sold a while back and the much more recent Goose bundle). You can also get these variants from reserves and caches during special events. For example, around Christmas they boosted rates for Winter Vacation variants and I opened winter Rogue before I had the base card.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah I had Steampunk Wasp before I managed to get the regular one. I think if they're season rewards you can get them before the base version.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes I was able to buy that Daredevil/Elektra bundle before I had base Daredevil. But no, if you don't have a certain card you can't buy it with gold in the shop.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
a.) Shop bundles
b.) Season pass
c.) Variant rush (rip)
d.) Random giveaways

Those are the ways so far you can get variants for cards you haven't pulled yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I also just bought Stature today and I have been running the Stature/Black Bolt deck to some success. I don't have Jeff so I substituted Juggernaut.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

bowmore posted:

Pretty sure the only way to get variants for stuff you don't own is through bundles/season pass card variants (not mystery variants)/Variant Rush events

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I also just bought Stature today and I have been running the Stature/Black Bolt deck to some success. I don't have Jeff so I substituted Juggernaut.

What deck are you using because the one I found is garbage

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nebula, Korg, Zabu, Polaris, Juggernaut, Darkhawk, Rockslide, Enchantress, Miles Morales, Shang-Chi, Black Bolt, Stature

(this is the top meta deck from last week on SnapZone, except they have Jeff instead of Juggernaut)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Opopanax posted:

# (1) Sunspot
# (1) Nebula
# (1) Nightcrawler
# (2) Armor
# (3) Polaris
# (4) Shuri
# (4) Miles Morales
# (5) Taskmaster
# (5) Stature
# (5) Aero
# (5) Black Bolt
# (6) She-Hulk
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Vuc3BvdCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTmlnaHRjcmF3bGVyIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBcm1vciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiUG9sYXJpcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2h1cmkifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1pbGVzTW9yYWxlcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiVGFza21hc3RlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3RhdHVyZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQmxhY2tCb2x0In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBZXJvIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGVIdWxrIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJOZWJ1bGEifV19
#

this deck's worked real well for me. I don't have zabu or I'd try something more top meta

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dang, I didn't want to have buy the regular High Evolutionary when there will be a Dan Hipp variant

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nebula, Korg, Zabu, Polaris, Juggernaut, Darkhawk, Rockslide, Enchantress, Miles Morales, Shang-Chi, Black Bolt, Stature

(this is the top meta deck from last week on SnapZone, except they have Jeff instead of Juggernaut)

I’ve been using Nightcrawler over Jeff and Doom over Shang Chi and it’s been working fantastically. Oh also Iron Lad over Nebula technically but just cuz I bought it and it slots in well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm going to miss Peak gaming. Managed a game with the ironman/mystique/skrull/onslaught on an opponents ironman/knull combo and it was many thousands of points. Pretty sure it broke my previous best of 4k something on 2 lanes with a giant BP/Wong/Arnim combo.

This game is at its best when its at its dumbest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Devo posted:

I *think* this means you have a maximum of 36 caches, so 152 collection levels, before you are complete. It would be 32 but there's a likelihood there's a S4 card in there also. At a rate of 100 credits for 2 collection levels, you need 7600 credits. This is a little less than 17 days worth of dailies without counting weekly rewards or season pass track rewards.

e: this also doesn't count the 50 credits per day freebie.

This isn't close to correct. 36 Reserves is 432 CLs. Assuming no common upgrades that's 19800 credits, which is around 4 weeks of F2P earnings excluding box rewards.

OP's maximum distance to S3-complete is 43 boxes/516 CLs. The worst case scenario is that he's had an S3 card in his last box and it was first in the cluster; his last S3 card will be last in its cluster; he hasn't had an S4 card in his current block of 40; and the S4 card in the next block will come early.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Jedit posted:

This isn't close to correct. 36 Reserves is 432 CLs. Assuming no common upgrades that's 19800 credits, which is around 4 weeks of F2P earnings excluding box rewards.

Agh I knew something seemed off when I was thinking that through. I forgot all of the random trash between boxes.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Opopanax posted:

I've had fun with this one:

# (1) Iron Fist
# (2) Dagger
# (2) Swarm
# (2) Cloak
# (2) Colleen Wing
# (3) Rogue
# (3) Vulture
# (3) Polaris
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Miles Morales
# (5) Stature
# (5) Black Bolt
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQmxhY2tCb2x0In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTdGF0dXJlIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJNaWxlc01vcmFsZXMifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlBvbGFyaXMifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNoYW5nQ2hpIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTd2FybSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ29sbGVlbldpbmcifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkNsb2FrIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJEYWdnZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlJvZ3VlIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJJcm9uRmlzdCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiVnVsdHVyZSJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Hmmm, had been saving up for High Evolutionary but have just realised I’m at 11,900 tokens so might as well buy myself something.

I’m Season 3 complete and have the big bads, season pass cards, Darkhawk, Dazzler, Knull and Shadow King.

Leaning towards Iron lad as I don’t tend to click well with pane control decks for Jeff, but just wanted to check how people have found him or if there are other cards I’m sleeping on it would be worth getting (Probably Stature).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stature is dropping next month. I'd never consider buying her over Iron Lad, who is fast proving to be one of the best cards in the game.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Jedit posted:

Stature is dropping next month. I'd never consider buying her over Iron Lad, who is fast proving to be one of the best cards in the game.

2 months I think for Stature, which is why I was considering her.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'd wait until Tuesday's patch to buy Stature, it seems like they're overhauling Wave and/or cards that self-discount.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Infinite Karma posted:

I'd wait until Tuesday's patch to buy Stature, it seems like they're overhauling Wave and/or cards that self-discount.

Great advice, although I'd be surprised if Stature sees any changes Tuesday.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm glad someone said Darkhawk was dropping to 3 because he's in my shop and I would have blown the tokens. I'm tier 3 complete and have everyone else that's dropping so he's a guaranteed freebie now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GarudaPrime posted:

Great advice, although I'd be surprised if Stature sees any changes Tuesday.
It's not so much that Stature will get nerfed, it's that Stature is strong right now partly because of how she lines up vs every wave deck.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Welp, bought Iron Lad rather than Stature and the first three Iron Lad decks I google all have the Stature/Black Bolt combo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

Welp, bought Iron Lad rather than Stature and the first three Iron Lad decks I google all have the Stature/Black Bolt combo.

If you have Darkhawk then try this, or something like it.

Jeff is a flex if you don't have him - he's great if you have him as he'll win lanes with Professor X, but there's other good 2-drops to replace him.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Jedit posted:

If you have Darkhawk then try this, or something like it.

Jeff is a flex if you don't have him - he's great if you have him as he'll win lanes with Professor X, but there's other good 2-drops to replace him.

Thanks, but I don’t have Jeff and the reason I wasn’t considering Jeff as a purchase is because the Prof X lane control play style never clicked with me. Added Iron Lad to my Dino Darkhawk deck and managed to grind up a few ranks and get into the 80s for the first time this season.

godogg
Dec 29, 2008
<salt>When they say it's a healthy meta, they mean a healthy meta for longtime Season Pass holders and whales. It's a healthy meta for being stomped repeatedly for weeks by decks built on the backs of cards I'm a long way from having. Galactus, Zabu, Darkhawk, MODOK, Stature, Hit Monkey, Jeff, even Nebula. Fundamental deck archetypes simply can't compete if they're lacking their Season Pass payoffs or S4 enablers. This has easily been the most frustrating season for me since beta. I am super-excited for the day that Darkhawk drops to Series 3 because that's when SD will finally nerf him to 5/3 like he always should have been and he'll stop being a functional 3/10 and also everywhere.
Will they *never* learn that mana-cheat is *always* game breaking?
I've been saving my tokens for a day 1 High Evolutionary so here's hoping he's at least fun.</salt>

Okay, okay, I'm better now

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah I finally feel like I'm in a good card acquisition place after like, eight months of playing and getting every season pass. I've got ten cards (plus Kitty) that I don't have, and Iron Lad is the only one of those that I'd really like to have for shenanigans; I'll get Knull as soon as the series drops from my free card, and everything else is stuff I don't care about waiting on. I'm likely to have enough tokens to get HE as soon as he drops. I've only ever gotten one free S5 card drop (Stature), but it feels like I'm finally keeping pace with the treadmill instead of just waiting on the one piece I want for various decks.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Speaking of Kitty, when are we supposed to get her as a freebie? Wasn't that a thing they announced?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

As my luck with this game usually goes... the first time I log in after Peak Day ended, I get Mystique as my freebie and unlock Rogue from a cache.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

New Leaf posted:

Speaking of Kitty, when are we supposed to get her as a freebie? Wasn't that a thing they announced?

The current theory is tomorrow (Patch day) actually

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last they said was ‘May’

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last they said was ‘May’

It has to be as a result of the patch though, since they’re changing the text mechanics of a card and tomorrow is patch day I’m pretty sure

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

godogg posted:

<salt>When they say it's a healthy meta, they mean a healthy meta for longtime Season Pass holders and whales. It's a healthy meta for being stomped repeatedly for weeks by decks built on the backs of cards I'm a long way from having. Galactus, Zabu, Darkhawk, MODOK, Stature, Hit Monkey, Jeff, even Nebula. Fundamental deck archetypes simply can't compete if they're lacking their Season Pass payoffs or S4 enablers. This has easily been the most frustrating season for me since beta. I am super-excited for the day that Darkhawk drops to Series 3 because that's when SD will finally nerf him to 5/3 like he always should have been and he'll stop being a functional 3/10 and also everywhere.
Will they *never* learn that mana-cheat is *always* game breaking?
I've been saving my tokens for a day 1 High Evolutionary so here's hoping he's at least fun.</salt>

Okay, okay, I'm better now

If you've been playing since beta i assume you're P3 complete with a fair bit of options out of P4 and 5. Like, this MIGHT be kinda true at lower CLs where you have fewer tools to work with if you're strictly f2p, but for you? Idk.

E: maybe the matchmaking is garbo at that level and you're truly running into completely unwinnable matchups but there's counters to everything and while you can't fit them all in a single deck and win with it, that's what retreats are for.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to play now.. After this weekend, I'm seeing a TON of Venom/Zola for some reason, and I've been playing Discard where you have essentially just playing Solitaire and hope your numbers are bigger at the end.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Quetzadilla posted:

E: maybe the matchmaking is garbo at that level and you're truly running into completely unwinnable matchups but there's counters to everything and while you can't fit them all in a single deck and win with it, that's what retreats are for.

I have lost twenty plus cubes today alone from having to retreat almost every game. It's hard out here for a f2p because you're playing the second rate version of a lot of great decks.

Turn one snappers are the devil btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't really get the badge of honor thing of being f2p. It's like 33 cents a day to play this game every month with the battle pass.