Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FunOne posted:

Anyone have draft 3rd round schedules yet? Usually by game 7 they're already floating around.

They're waiting to hear from ESPN if there's space in the schedule after preseason Lawn Bowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Darnell Nurse sent us off with two more "what the hell was Nurse doing??" goals. I haven't kept an exact count but I believe his total for this playoffs was about 650 of those.

The team that scored first in Oilers-Knights went 2-4 in the series. That (and the fact they lost) basically tells you everything you need to know about the Edmonton Oilers.

ThinkTank posted:

It feels bizarre and totally devoid of stoylines. Just a bunch of teams that seemed to be destined to be stops on the paths to greatness for Boston, Toronto or Edmonton. Weird year.

Carolina don't even have Svechnikov. It's impressive they've succeeded without him but the fact that it has seemingly not been mentioned goes to show how little anyone thinks about them.

Who's even the Conn Smythe favourite at this point?

Eichel.

Vegas is the only really complete team in the field with Boston gone: they have a superstar, they have four lines that can carry play, they have defensemen that can move the puck, they have adequate goaltending, and they play dirty. Good coaching is not actually a requirement to win the Cup but it helps. Vegas is going to win the Cup.

Carolina could win but probably not, lacking a superstar or adequate goaltending. Dallas could win but man are they shaky defensively, Oettinger's head is hosed right now, and the refs are probably going to mug them again tonight. Seattle isn't going to get the friendly officiating against Vegas that they got against Colorado and Dallas. I think Florida will upset Carolina and then, in the long, proud, unblemished tradition of out-of-nowhere teams that reach the SCF, get summarily crushed in 4 or 5 games by Vegas.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 15, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good thing I'm not an Oilers fan or I would've been mad at yet another missed high sticking double minor, which I assume is (on pace for?) setting some kind of modern-day (two-referee) record.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Nervous about tonight but I have faith that Oettinger will pull off some miracle saves

Hopefully the rest of the team steps up as well

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Carolina has the feelgood story of the season in Jesse Puljujarvi finally being freed from Edmonton so it would be good to see him finally hoist the cup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You have to respect Carolina's strategy of collecting all the goofiest (to English ears, anyway) names they can.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Carolina could win but probably not, lacking a superstar or adequate goaltending.

Sébastien Aho's career is basically identical to Eichel's so far.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think Aho is the most underrated player in the league (because he plays in Carolina and looks like he's 13) and he's also suddenly added dirty cheapshots to his game this year which is great for the playoffs, but he's not quite Jack Eichel in terms of offensive dynamism.

But yes, I concede the point at least this far: Aho is good enough to be the best player on a Cup winner.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Darnell Nurse sent us off with two more "what the hell was Nurse doing??" goals. I haven't kept an exact count but I believe his total for this playoffs was about 650 of those.

Do you mean the two goals where Nurse was playing in his correct position and Skinner let in a stupid bounce off his shoulder or where Ceci went skating about and Nuge/Draisaitl didn't rotate and let Marchessault fly in on the backside?

Cause neither of those had much to do with Nurse other than him being near the net covering the player he should have been covering.

Edit: The Oilers got caved with Eichel on versus Nurse/Ceci/Leon/Nuge/whatever other winger slots here. Nurse was like the 4th least concerning player covering Eichel's line.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 15, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Call Your Grandma posted:

Carolina has the feelgood story of the season in Jesse Puljujarvi finally being freed from Edmonton so it would be good to see him finally hoist the cup.

It's pretty good how he's barely breaking into the lineup with Svechnikov, Teravainen, and Pacioretty out.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Of the remaining teams, I think I want Florida to win the most. Then I can rationalize that maybe it's less that the Bruins choked (although obviously they did) and more that the Panthers are a good team. I also like Tkachuk a lot as a player.

Seattle or Vegas winning would be very funny just because they haven't been around for very long and I'm sure we'd get some good meltdowns out of it.

For Carolina, I've been to Canes games and I have family and friends there. I don't particularly like the team but I'd be happy for the fan base if they won.

Don't really have an opinion on Dallas. It'd be cool for Pavelski to finally get a Cup I suppose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Go Seattle.

Going through Vegas with their "some guys" team while Vegas is doing a full on Lakers would be fun.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

T-Bone posted:

I know like Vegas and Carolina are technically top 5 teams by points but this feels like the strangest final four since like 2006.

I didn't even realize Vegas had a strong regular season this year.

I think these Conference Finals feel odd, because Carolina and Florida are historically bad teams, despite their recent success. And, the possibility of Seattle/Vegas just feels a humorous result, even if Vegas has been great for most of their 6 years in the NHL.

Dallas is Dallas.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Carolina only really feels odd to me because of their injuries tbh. Otherwise I had them as easily the #2 team behind Boston this year, like a good tier above everyone else.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Oh yeah, Carolina definitely deserves to be there. They are a great team. It's just hard to shake that "bad for a decade-plus" thought from my head.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is one of JFresh's dumb positions to hold. The NHL being bad at business is one of the things that contributes to the many lockouts that are incredibly impactful to the fan experience. Yes it's dumb that fans have to care about the business side of the sport, but the league has made it abundantly clear that they have no problem making their dollars and cents our problem.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

They're waiting to hear from ESPN if there's space in the schedule after preseason Lawn Bowling.

I wonder if ESPN actually picked the Western Finals this year (ESPN always gets to pick which conference final it wants to air , and TNT gets the other one).

Pretty much any other year East would be the easy choice but this time I wonder. Though they probably had to decide before they knew it's Panthers vs Canes...

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

This is one of JFresh's dumb positions to hold. The NHL being bad at business is one of the things that contributes to the many lockouts that are incredibly impactful to the fan experience. Yes it's dumb that fans have to care about the business side of the sport, but the league has made it abundantly clear that they have no problem making their dollars and cents our problem.

On the other hand the 2012 lockout was preceded by 5 Stanley Cup Finals with teams in pretty popular TV markets and intriguing matchups:

DET vs PIT x2
PHI vs CHI
VAN vs BOS
LA vs NYR

I kind of doubt the matchups themselves drive revenue in any real way.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m flying to Las Vegas on May 26th, what if there’s a playoff game that night should I go? I couldn’t do the rest of the weekend, it’s Punk Rock Bowling weekend.

I am going to a book signing with Dr Greg Graffin (from Bad Religion) but that starts at 4pm. But I could go after?!

Just as a warning playoff tickets are going to be stupid expensive here.

Eric the Mauve posted:

...they have adequate goaltending...

While this may be true it amuses me to no end that a fourth string goalie with (now) three total playoff starts is our adequate goaltending. Our goaltending situation as it approaches the end of this hockey year has just been strange. That said, Hill has been a whole lot better than I expected he would be at this point.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Starsfan posted:

The Stars have a very strong bounce back theme going this year where they've played their best games in the playoffs after losing, but on the other hand the Stars have lost alot of game 7s over the years lol..

I'm nervous but I think they'll pull through on home ice for the fans.. if not, oh well.. I just hope they lose because Seattle outplays them, not because they get unlucky or a poo poo game from Jake Oettinger.

3-5 all time in Game 7s. And all 3 wins against the Avs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, I wasn't sure about Hill, but Brossoit wasn't that great either. Just adequate. I don't think the change makes much difference.

Now if Hill also gets injured then they're probably fried. I said "Vegas will win the Cup" but a major injury like losing Eichel or their 4th goalie could derail it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I want to post that it's coming out of the East but I really have no idea anymore. Very interested to see how Carolina looks vs. a bigger, nastier Florida after their struggles vs. a big, nasty Islanders team.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Florida winning would be bad because Paul Maurice blows

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure about Hill, but Brossoit wasn't that great either. Just adequate. I don't think the change makes much difference.

Now if Hill also gets injured then they're probably fried. I said "Vegas will win the Cup" but a major injury like losing Eichel or their 4th goalie could derail it.

If Hill gets injured we get to see the return of Jonathan Quick to the playoffs, right? It'd be hilarious if he came in to close it out for a series win.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

not to mention their inability to market their sport leads to them doing stupid poo poo like the jersey ads and the animated boards (not that making more money elsewhere would stop them but, ostensibly, a league worried about image wouldn't be scrimping for that sort of petty cash compared to the allure of primetime coverage)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Duckman2008 posted:

Potential Conn Smythe winners (no idea for Vegas):

Tkachuk
Pavs
Buoy
Brindamour

Roope Hintz my dude

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Carolina is probably the only team in the league that more casual fans can name their coach than any one of their players.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

not to mention their inability to market their sport leads to them doing stupid poo poo like the jersey ads and the animated boards (not that making more money elsewhere would stop them but, ostensibly, a league worried about image wouldn't be scrimping for that sort of petty cash compared to the allure of primetime coverage)

how many leagues don't have jersey ads now? nfl and mlb?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

In order:

1. Seattle - lot of ex Caps
2. Florida - Tkachuk is cool
3. Dallas - Pavelski
4. Vegas - don’t like them much but Stone, Eichel, and Stephenson are cool
5. Carolina - I respect that they play balls to the wall at all times but I hate their coach and I hate Jordan Staal from his days in Pittsburgh

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

i'm starting to think that the nhl isn't a uniquely awful league :mrgw:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Aphrodite posted:

Go Seattle.

Going through Vegas with their "some guys" team while Vegas is doing a full on Lakers would be fun.

They're sort of Lakers, but honestly both playoffs and regular season they've got a lot of mileage out of always being able to field 18 credible skaters.

The Oilers partly got undone because their 19th and 20th guys got absolutely caved and they had to just burn McDavid and Draisatl for heavy heavy minutes.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Draisatl got six goals in the first two games, but by game six was a shadow of himself (also possibly the slashing I will admit).

The Knights are due a change of injury luck - they've only got two meaningful injuries at the moment, compared to the rotating MASH ward they had during the regular season.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Maybe creating a "Playoff Hockey" environment where 3rd line journeymen can concuss, punch, slash and crosscheck their way to ultimate success while actually entertaining players get more and more injured and ineffective from non-penalty calls for weeks isn't as cool as everyone is saying it is.

Maybe there's a middle ground between calling 7 penalties for each team in game one round one and none by game 6 of the second round.

Maybe...

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
none of America should exist, but Florida and Vegas shouldn’t exist way more than even the rest of America. they’re the drains of America. every other state sends their biggest rear end holes there. they’re a refuge for the type of people who only want to exist in perfectly climate controlled spaces. the people that live there are a worse invasive species than the Burmese Pythons and capybaras they brought with them. most pro golfers live there or Arizona. truly awful places that no American should live.

having said that, both their teams are pretty cool, so I think that’s gonna be the finals.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tarbrush posted:

They're sort of Lakers, but honestly both playoffs and regular season they've got a lot of mileage out of always being able to field 18 credible skaters.

The Oilers partly got undone because their 19th and 20th guys got absolutely caved and they had to just burn McDavid and Draisatl for heavy heavy minutes.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Draisatl got six goals in the first two games, but by game six was a shadow of himself (also possibly the slashing I will admit).

The Knights are due a change of injury luck - they've only got two meaningful injuries at the moment, compared to the rotating MASH ward they had during the regular season.

I don't watch basketball I just meant they have amassed a bunch of superstar players through nefarious means.

Maybe that's a Yankees. I don't watch baseball either.

In hockey it's a Rangers.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

"nefarious means" ?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trading with Buffalo and Ottawa is like getting a little kid to give you their bike for a cool rock because they don't know any better.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Waiting with baited breath to see which media member has the poor taste to write a Staal brothers puff piece for the ECF.

Probably it has already happened on one of the team published sites

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
No matter how the Stars do tonight, I'll be drunk and eating BBQ. Got tickets to AHL stars on Wednesday and don't have to work the next day, so gonna do the same there then walk home.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Trading with Florida is like getting a little kid to give you their bike for a cool rock because they don't know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

but then the rock win the Conn Smythe and the bike turned out to be roller blades the whole time