Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In public funded research the scientists hold all the power. The scientists generate the income and the scientists populate the management structure, so if a scientist decides they need something they're gonna get it. This isn't dramatically different from the corporate world, rock stars whining their way up the chain is a universal but when the whole organization is people with PhD's it turns out they all see things generally the same way so the whining is more effective. As an admin you do your best to enforce best practices but in the end keeping the research going (and by extension, keeping the grant money coming in) is going to win.

And this is why everyone gets local admin. And probably unrestricted sudo on a server. Heck, we got scientists designing server rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

In public funded research the scientists hold all the power. The scientists generate the income and the scientists populate the management structure, so if a scientist decides they need something they're gonna get it. This isn't dramatically different from the corporate world, rock stars whining their way up the chain is a universal but when the whole organization is people with PhD's it turns out they all see things generally the same way so the whining is more effective. As an admin you do your best to enforce best practices but in the end keeping the research going (and by extension, keeping the grant money coming in) is going to win.

And this is why everyone gets local admin. And probably unrestricted sudo on a server. Heck, we got scientists designing server rooms.

100%

I’m a former research scientist-turned-sysadmin and that experience (plus a very expensive and hard to obtain piece of paper that entitles me to certain honorifics) makes it easy to empathize with the needs of the scientists, and in turn makes them more patient with me when I do have to put my foot down on something. Mutual understanding and respect goes a long way

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

SlowBloke posted:

It's a solid way to get poo poo installed in ways you won't find unless you do proper analysis on machines. It has minimal pros and a lot of cons.

It's far better to gradually drop software that cannot work as user than to manage exceptions on standard software(beyond dev boxes but that's a lost cause anyway).

It entirely depends on where you work and who you work with which is why it’s a group think deal imo. people who haven’t worked in places that have the appropriate controls for it in place and where it’s necessary can’t imagine it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

Which tool is this out of curiosity?

This has been such a pain in the rear end at my job. It's an "engineer" (dev) focused org, and apparently some of their tools, I think Docker being a major one, don't work without admin access.

We tried using our MDM, Mosyle, for admin-on-demand, but the drat thing is hard-coded to permit a max of 5 minutes of time and the vendor refuses to allow anymore. Using Privileges.app now, but it's quite kludgy, especially forcing it to time out.

this is what we use, no idea what it's like to manage

https://www.remediant.com/product-remediant-secureone

i am a moron posted:

People make a huge deal about local admin because of IT groupthink reasons imo

There used to be a lot of very good reasons to not allow local admin. it was a necessary first step in protecting your endpoints

things have changed quite a bit with new endpoint management tools and modern windows, so there is no reason to be as strict about it

I still wouldnt hand it out willy nilly though, most end users have no need to install their own software

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
To be clear, no I don’t believe giving all users local admin is a good idea. But people making blanket statements about it are engaging in IT cult-ery

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

i am a moron posted:

To be clear, no I don’t believe giving all users local admin is a good idea. But people making blanket statements about it are engaging in IT cult-ery
loving audits man. And public financial companies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Care to go into any detail? You can do a lot more damage with admin rights than you can with normal user rights. It's why privilege escalation exploits are bad.

[edit: Didn't mean to come off as flippant in this response, but I did! I am genuinely interested in hearing how blanket statements in this come off as cargo culty. I think it's always been a "best practice" that had exceptions.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 15, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

i am a moron posted:

It entirely depends on where you work and who you work with which is why it’s a group think deal imo. people who haven’t worked in places that have the appropriate controls for it in place and where it’s necessary can’t imagine it.

I work in public sector and are under the "cyber" umbrella of a nato government, it's easy to get hit as collateral. I am sure that a "normal" firm can manage it if they have a set of spherical users that won't click on weird poo poo but in a gov adjacent institution i'm seeing it as unnecessary risk. Relying on xdr automation is a tall order for us, esp since we had ransomware executing with the detection engine going all "something is happening, maybe it's bad, maybe not" and not reacting, with the sole thing stopping the malware from touching the local credential store being executed as standard user.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Currently wondering why someone thought using an SSN in an API’s query string would be a good idea.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How else would you reference the primary key :cthulhu:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

App13 posted:

My workplace is exclusively “kooky/zany scientists and engineers who do linear algebra in their head” and they all get local admin rights.

Want a new flavor of Linux to run some insane CFD tensor? Go for it. We don’t care. The backend security systems are set up to anticipate this.

Somehow it works.

I find this really interesting. Users can install whatever OS they want? How are the backend security systems set up to work in this scenario? Are endpoints completely unmanaged, or do you capture them and enroll in MDM as they try to access resources?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

How else would you reference the primary key :cthulhu:

By making passwords unique and using those as PK of course! Make sure not to store the hash value + salt but just the password as plain text. That way you can both easily search for it as well as test logging in and experience your users specific issue.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I find this really interesting. Users can install whatever OS they want? How are the backend security systems set up to work in this scenario? Are endpoints completely unmanaged, or do you capture them and enroll in MDM as they try to access resources?

I’ve been trying to deduce that myself honestly. The security backend is handled by an entirely separate organization from the group I’m in

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I think right now the world still has a lot of native software and licensing that can only work on the OS. If their specific organization is very heavy on web tools and does not have a lot of traditional software or traditional client work going on, I don't see a big need for controlling OS, because there are no resources the computer needs to be specially set up to access. They can just log in with a web prompt or web API agnostic of OS if their tools are set up for it right?

Then if they leave the org or threaten the CEO or whatever, can't your off-boarding simply cut their account and API access rather than worrying about the endpoint so much? Again, only if their endpoint does not have traditional access such as shared drives with company data and that sort of thing.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 15, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Care to go into any detail? You can do a lot more damage with admin rights than you can with normal user rights. It's why privilege escalation exploits are bad.

[edit: Didn't mean to come off as flippant in this response, but I did! I am genuinely interested in hearing how blanket statements in this come off as cargo culty. I think it's always been a "best practice" that had exceptions.]

I’m in the same boat as The Fool - I don’t provide these kinds of things to people anymore if I ever did, I’m a consumer of endpoint services. If I had to go to someone every time I needed admin it would be super annoying to do my job and negotiating it with people would be a deal breaker in terms of continuing to work anywhere. So anyone in a similar role to myself, developers, etc. because you can reflexively hate local admin but there is no way the roadblocks it places are outweighing the risks. I don’t have domain admin accounts, all my identity stuff in the cloud is behind MFA and geolocated risk stuff, infosec has a ton of poo poo on my machine, I don’t connect via VPN to any on premises services like AD/DNS. It’s a big leap from me being stupid with what I install to someone doing anything useful with it. Is it possible? Sure. But I’m not responsible for weighing the risk and peoples who’s entire job it is to do so have decided it’s fine so it’s all good imo

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't even WANT local admin, but they couldn't figure out how to give me permission to change the IP on my network card without it :cripes:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cyks posted:

IMO that’s always an acceptable answer (as long as it isn’t a common issue you’ve seen and fixed multiple times before). I rather my techs come back after researching a few ideas instead of just wasting everybody’s time blindly clicking around.

But I’ve also seen the customer told “just deal with it” too many times.

I've been told explicitly to not waste time doing research and that "sometimes we just can't fix anything" by my boss

So my advice is if you think a place sounds screwy at the interview it will be so much worse than you can imagine

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

By making passwords unique and using those as PK of course! Make sure not to store the hash value + salt but just the password as plain text. That way you can both easily search for it as well as test logging in and experience your users specific issue.

I knew what you were doing and I still flinched while reading this.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

For permanent local admin I have an email convo with their department head with my boss cced in which I am totally clear about potential consequences and basically put it on them if it goes wrong. We’ll always fix but getting that in writing is the rear end cover I want.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inner Light posted:

I think right now the world still has a lot of native software and licensing that can only work on the OS. If their specific organization is very heavy on web tools and does not have a lot of traditional software or traditional client work going on, I don't see a big need for controlling OS, because there are no resources the computer needs to be specially set up to access. They can just log in with a web prompt or web API agnostic of OS if their tools are set up for it right?

Then if they leave the org or threaten the CEO or whatever, can't your off-boarding simply cut their account and API access rather than worrying about the endpoint so much? Again, only if their endpoint does not have traditional access such as shared drives with company data and that sort of thing.

Yeah, that makes sense, and I think the direction everyone is headed in. I still think about something like downloading a file containing PII from your web software. Or even something as simple as inventory. If you don't have an agent, do you track them by hand? Do you just not care at all? It's interesting that these options are out there.

App13 posted:

I’ve been trying to deduce that myself honestly. The security backend is handled by an entirely separate organization from the group I’m in

i am a moron posted:

I’m in the same boat as The Fool - I don’t provide these kinds of things to people anymore if I ever did, I’m a consumer of endpoint services. If I had to go to someone every time I needed admin it would be super annoying to do my job and negotiating it with people would be a deal breaker in terms of continuing to work anywhere. So anyone in a similar role to myself, developers, etc. because you can reflexively hate local admin but there is no way the roadblocks it places are outweighing the risks. I don’t have domain admin accounts, all my identity stuff in the cloud is behind MFA and geolocated risk stuff, infosec has a ton of poo poo on my machine, I don’t connect via VPN to any on premises services like AD/DNS. It’s a big leap from me being stupid with what I install to someone doing anything useful with it. Is it possible? Sure. But I’m not responsible for weighing the risk and peoples who’s entire job it is to do so have decided it’s fine so it’s all good imo

I hear both of these, but they're really "I don't deal with that, it's someone else's problem, I'm just an end-user in this regard." Which is fine, but I think less interesting than talking about what the solutions actually looks like. I think there's something to be said about modern auth methods, but if your local machine is compromised and it dumps your password vault that's still a problem. A screen scraper or keylogger is still a problem. A rogue extension in your browser is still a problem. Something that grabs your key pairs is still a problem.

I guess my point of view is saying "no one should ever have local admin ever" is a problem, like pretty much any sort of engineering blanket statement. Maybe when people speak shortly it comes off that way unnecessarily. But I don't think that's cargo culty. And if you tell me all users have local admin all the time, I am going to put a lot of thought into that requirement.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The purpose of most organizations is not avoiding cybersecurity incidents or damage. The purpose of most organizations is to make money.

As in all things, local admin vs not is a tradeoff of IT expenditure and development speed versus the security gains that come with it, and it is not always going to be best practice to have unprivileged user accounts nor should it always be an IT priority to pursue.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 15, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

oh, well in that case

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

skipdogg posted:

Here's some advice off the top of my head. Some you may or may not agree with.

-They hired you knowing your background. I can tell you no one expects much out of any new hire, regardless of experience, the first 60 days or so. At the 90 day mark you should be getting your feet under you and at 6 months you should be handling things pretty much on your own. You're probably won't feel 1000% comfortable until 9 to 12 months in. This is completely normal. Every org is different and even someone with 20 years of experience will need 2 months to get familiar with a new environment.

-Observe and listen at first, and don't judge how things are done until you have an understanding of why they are done that way. Don't be that guy that walks in the first week and declares everything is wrong and dumb and it would be better to do it this way. Organizations are dysfunctional, and there's often reasons things are done certain ways even if they don't make sense at first.

-Take notes on things as you learn them. You'll be asking your peers and boss for help a lot at first. If you ask 3 or more times on something you've already asked about, that's not a good thing and people may get annoyed. Spend 5 minutes and search internal documentation and google before you ask a question.

-Being friendly goes a long way. The BOFH stuff is old and tired, customer service skills and not being a dick will get you far in your career.

Couple of pages back but thanks for posting this. Started a new gig last week, my first IT/desktop support job, and this has been how I've been going about things but it's helpful reminding myself of the first point you made.

So far so good otherwise though, I think I landed in a pretty solid starter position compared to some of the horror stories I've heard.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

oh, well in that case

She’s right :shrug:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I hear both of these, but they're really "I don't deal with that, it's someone else's problem, I'm just an end-user in this regard." Which is fine, but I think less interesting than talking about what the solutions actually looks like. I think there's something to be said about modern auth methods, but if your local machine is compromised and it dumps your password vault that's still a problem. A screen scraper or keylogger is still a problem. A rogue extension in your browser is still a problem. Something that grabs your key pairs is still a problem.

I guess my point of view is saying "no one should ever have local admin ever" is a problem, like pretty much any sort of engineering blanket statement. Maybe when people speak shortly it comes off that way unnecessarily. But I don't think that's cargo culty. And if you tell me all users have local admin all the time, I am going to put a lot of thought into that requirement.

From a risk management perspective if an attacker has gained access to a machine we’re already in deep poo poo. Like as a nation. That’s what I tell myself in order to sleep at night.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I’ve got a ridiculous compensation right now for the experience I have, and compared to my local market (current position is 100% remote for a Bay Area company, and I live in Alberta so duh), and I worry that it’ll have spoiled me if I ever try to make a change.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Handsome Ralph posted:

Couple of pages back but thanks for posting this. Started a new gig last week, my first IT/desktop support job, and this has been how I've been going about things but it's helpful reminding myself of the first point you made.

So far so good otherwise though, I think I landed in a pretty solid starter position compared to some of the horror stories I've heard.

Something else about your first couple of months, is that is when you set expectations with everyone. If you come in firing on all cylinders and going 80MPH, working 12 hours a day and all that, that's your baseline expectation that you've set with everyone. Say you get comfortable a few months down the road and dial it back to what you consider to be reasonable, people are going to think "Man Ralph is slowing down or slacking". Way better to come in and set those expectations at first, and save some reserves when needed.

madmatt112 posted:

I’ve got a ridiculous compensation right now for the experience I have, and compared to my local market (current position is 100% remote for a Bay Area company, and I live in Alberta so duh), and I worry that it’ll have spoiled me if I ever try to make a change.

I call these silver handcuffs. I'm a bit overpaid for sure, and if I left my current gig I'd probably lose 15% total comp and some vacation. The best advice I can give you is keep your lifestyle in check. Lifestyle creep is a real thing and if you start living on assuming you'll always be making ridiculous money, and something happens it's going to be painful. I'm guilty of having some lifestyle creep and I consciously try to keep it in check now.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 15, 2023

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

madmatt112 posted:

Bronze/silver handcuffs are real - want to break out of corp work and into that wfh govt job world but taking a hard look at a 40% pay cut is rough.

Even taking the pension into consideration vs 401king it… ouch

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Soylent Majority posted:

Bronze/silver handcuffs are real - want to break out of corp work and into that wfh govt job world but taking a hard look at a 40% pay cut is rough.

Even taking the pension into consideration vs 401king it… ouch

I don't know if it was here or the US GOV job thread or somewhere else, but they're supposedly working on increasing tech workers salaries, because the GS scale doesn't keep up with the private sector.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/pay/2023/02/opms-special-salary-rate-for-federal-it-employees-narrows-gap-with-private-sector-pay/

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
No one should have admin rights except me

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sepist posted:

No one should have admin rights except me

I'm at the point in my career I don't even want admin rights anymore. Can't make me do things if I don't have access

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

skipdogg posted:

Something else about your first couple of months, is that is when you set expectations with everyone. If you come in firing on all cylinders and going 80MPH, working 12 hours a day and all that, that's your baseline expectation that you've set with everyone. Say you get comfortable a few months down the road and dial it back to what you consider to be reasonable, people are going to think "Man Ralph is slowing down or slacking". Way better to come in and set those expectations at first, and save some reserves when needed.

Good point and I'm wayyyyyyyyy ahead of you. Literally the first day I asked about how to enter in some vacation time that was agreed upon before I accepted the offer, as well as just taking my full lunch break and leaving after I've worked my full shift instead of staying longer. Manager was also pretty upfront about adjusting my schedule to my liking and taking time off for doctors appointments and stuff.

Fortunately I think most of the people on my team have the same "don't over do it" mentality.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

skipdogg posted:

I'm at the point in my career I don't even want admin rights anymore. Can't make me do things if I don't have access

Honestly, same. But it's less "me" and more "I don't want my team owning these steaming piles of poo poo"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
nobody should have admin access, just use the built in programs

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

using computers is a mistake

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vanity slug posted:

using computers is a mistake
:goonsay:

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 15, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tokin opposition posted:

nobody should have admin access, just use the built in programs

Unironically agree. Edge is built in and good enough for SaaSing all the things. Sorry developers but I don’t have a use for you internally anyways~

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If more than one person needs it, package the application.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If more than one person needs it, package the application.

related, I have a rule for automation development that I call the 2x2x2 rule

If a process needs to be done more than 2 times
AND the process has more than 2 steps
AND the work to automate will take less than 2x the cumulative labor to perform the task by hand

Then it should never be done by hand again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I use the ‘Im never gonna see this poo poo again’ rule and just tell people I automated things when in fact I did not