Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Somebody pointed out the shrines look like goatse so now the game is improved for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Tiny Timbs posted:

Somebody pointed out the shrines look like goatse so now the game is ruined for me

The thought crossed my mind and I was like "maybe I don't need to be online as much."

The gorons though, wtf is going on.

edit: That's why he's the GOAT! The GOAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SNcR5qobuo

Wrong Theory fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 14, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why the heck can’t I hold items from the menu that pops up when I press the dedicated “look at your items” button

If I have any complaints about Zelda so far it’s that they are packing way too much into the control scheme. And why does the dash button switch when you’re swimming?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Having fun but made sure to change my approach after BotW. Avoided as much info as I could to enjoy surprises, realized emphasis is on making my own fun, and wasn’t shy about muting the audio and playing podcasts.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why the heck can’t I hold items from the menu that pops up when I press the dedicated “look at your items” button

If I have any complaints about Zelda so far it’s that they are packing way too much into the control scheme. And why does the dash button switch when you’re swimming?

You hold the "get ready to throw my melee weapon" button, THEN push the UP button, find the thing you want, and release the UP button, and now you're gonna throw that thing instead of your sword.

Also:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CainFortea posted:

You hold the "get ready to throw my melee weapon" button, THEN push the UP button, find the thing you want, and release the UP button, and now you're gonna throw that thing instead of your sword.

I mean for holding stuff to cook or insert into the gumball machine, not to throw (which is a different type of holding I guess)

I think the menu that comes up when you press Up is meant solely for dropping stuff on the ground as far as I can tell

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was having fun channeling :jeb: with throwing rockets on mining carts (4 of them will make your cart jump off the track when it drops), but someone else went higher, further, and faster with a whole drat 2-stage rocket :getin:

(Shamelessly stolen from Discord)

https://twitter.com/Ambler/status/1657733479696859137?s=20

e:

Tiny Timbs posted:

I mean for holding stuff to cook or insert into the gumball machine, not to throw (which is a different type of holding I guess)

I think the menu that comes up when you press Up is meant solely for dropping stuff on the ground as far as I can tell

You can combine lots of things with arrows via this menu, like brightweed, firefruit, and bombflowers for their relevant effects

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Also:

Ahahahha nice.

For Korok mistreatment I’m not doing it on purpose but needed to get one across a big river so fused eight logs then attached the guy. I misjudged the river length so he got a good dunking like I was concerned he was practicing witchcraft.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lmao and I felt bad about trying to float one across the river, and falling in myself so the little guy got a bath when the ULTRA HAND shut off.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Tiny Timbs posted:

You access your inventory through the + menu for that, like in the first game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I know, I was just wondering why I couldn’t also hold my items from the shortcut menu dedicated to showing me my items

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/FuwaMortis/status/1658310327606607873?t=4GeCU_xv0a5zNFpRqUA0pA&s=19

I haven't played the game yet but this made me chuckle

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Accurate

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Holy shiiiiiit

I got all of the petroglyphs and holy shiiiiit

I haven't been this invested in a Zelda plot in... ever.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1657924989016834051

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm about 15 hours in, and I've been avoiding all major quests/plotlines entirely, and just been spelunking around, re-discovering places I remember, unlocking shrines and towers, boosting my stamina to CLIMB ALL THE THINGS and hangglide ALL THE DISTANCES

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm about 15 hours in, and I've been avoiding all major quests/plotlines entirely, and just been spelunking around, re-discovering places I remember, unlocking shrines and towers, boosting my stamina to CLIMB ALL THE THINGS and hangglide ALL THE DISTANCES

There's at least one thing that helps you a lot with hang gliding around that comes from doing a bit of the story quests. Specifically doing the Rito story bit after talking to Purah at lookout landing.

It gives you a dash forward while hang gliding.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Running around in the underdark with four hearts with my glowy pants and shirt looking for my glowing hat....why do I hate myself so much. Zelda game is good 10 out of 10 beers.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A good sign that it's a once-in-a-generation kind of game is all the gamedev-adjacent people trying to figure out just how they built the loving thing. The running theory is that the development team hasn't changed much, if at all, year-over-year.

So they can quickly figure out how to develop on top of an old map, tack on an engine for creating clusterfuck abortion deathtraps, and polish the hell out of it. Simply not possible in other modern game studios.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I also enjoy how we've just decided to call it the underdark and not whatever in game name they use which i've already forgotten.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The underdark gave me serious Subnautica vibes, particularly from like the mushroom forest. Meanwhile the death traps are straight up inspired by :jeb:, and all of this is somehow contained and makes sense layered on top of Breath of the Wild.

It’s sheer magic that they were able to pull it off so cleanly.

e: it’s possible to strap a rocket to my shield and fly off, create a glider that can be described as an aerial warcrime to strafe bokoblin camps with cannons, and let’s not even get into the poor Koroks and how they’re being literally spit-roasted over open flame.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 18, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

The underdark gave me serious Subnautica vibes, particularly from like the mushroom forest. Meanwhile the death traps are straight up inspired by :jeb:, and all of this is somehow contained and makes sense layered on top of Breath of the Wild.

It’s sheer magic that they were able to pull it off so cleanly.

e: it’s possible to strap a rocket to my shield and fly off, create a glider that can be described as an aerial warcrime to strafe bokoblin camps with cannons, and let’s not even get into the poor Koroks and how they’re being literally spit-roasted over open flame.

On my list of "things to make" is definitely "AC-130" for dealing with lionels

Also, in a funny turn of events, you can strap a rocket to fly into the air.

You can also strap a bomb to your shield, start to shield surf, and this will rocket jump you.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Dang I'm most of the way through botw right now, but maybe I should just ditch it and jump into totk instead

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Wrapping up Jedi Survivor now before I dive into Zelda, and I gotta say one thing I tire of, is platforming poo poo. Otherwise, it's been really fun.

Yes, I am fully aware more of that awaits me in Zelda. IDGAF.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Dang I'm most of the way through botw right now, but maybe I should just ditch it and jump into totk instead

I played botw last year and I'm glad I have that experience now that I'm playing this, for what that's worth. It very much plays like a direct sequel with a a noticable but minor increase in difficulty

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I find the shrines are a lot easier and it's been years since I played BotW. I think i've only had to google an answer twice?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'd say try and fast-finish it without doing all the 100% collectible-type stuff. I remember a lot of the late game stuff being worth it.

But I was a gigantic plot sucker and really, really, really liked the Hyrule Warriors game based on BOTW too if you can hold off longer on Tears. Wasn't expecting Age of Calamity to plot-grab me like it did.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

CainFortea posted:

I find the shrines are a lot easier and it's been years since I played BotW. I think i've only had to google an answer twice?

The only time I Googled an answer it turned out I had the solution right but I was just doing it wrong.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McNally posted:

The only time I Googled an answer it turned out I had the solution right but I was just doing it wrong.

I had a couple of moments like that in BotW and was very much entertained by the fact that my solution to the shrine - while neither intended nor efficient - somehow ended up working in the end anyway.

I didn't even care that i spent like five times the expected effort

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Both times it was while I was at work and I didn't see the ledge or whatever. The breakroom at work is pretty bright.

Edit: I also enjoy the "Task Failed Successfully" aspect of this game and botw.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Mortal Kombat 1 officially announced. Pretend it's 1992 again!

(Gore warning, it's Mortal Kombat :cmon:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6eFEjFfJ0

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

McNally posted:

Holy shiiiiiit

I got all of the petroglyphs and holy shiiiiit

I haven't been this invested in a Zelda plot in... ever.

SAME!!!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Started a playthrough of Ixion on the new hard mode difficulty setting and things are going about as well as expected.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Started a playthrough of Ixion on the new hard mode difficulty setting and things are going about as well as expected.

sounds about right

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Lol vibes of SimCity game over when a mob led by your mother would remove an unpopular mayor.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
HellDivers 2 :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDhaY8T9fyw

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Learned you can attach a cannon to a pole to shell enemies. And that nothing stops you from attaching more cannons & now the enemies are on fire & the big one fell off his pirate ship. 10/10

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Item duplication got patched out of Tears of the Kingdom in the latest patch.

I never close the software, just put the Switch into sleep mode, so I'm going to avoid this patch for as long as I possibly can

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I need to go raiding with a monster control crew, but I’ve got so much else I keep getting distracted on :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I need to go raiding with a monster control crew, but I’ve got so much else I keep getting distracted on :cry:

I like those guys.

The fusion ability is so fun and pretty much negates concerns about weapon erosion. I like how it nudges you to try weird combos, like finding a monster had fused a fish to his club.