Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
In 2005 I was a civilian contractor working for the United States Department of Defense. I can safely state with great confidence that you do not gently caress with the US Military unless you have no desire to continue existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lukashenko looked disgusting--nipples protruding--in his little uniform in the woods. Very very disrespectful.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wonder, and to be clear I'm not saying it is, but I wonder if he does have any doubles.

That seems pretty much a must-have fashion accessory for your absolute dictator.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Reminds me of the show Zelensky accidentally used to become president. His staff are walking his character through diplomatic niceties and he learns to stand and how to greet doubles of Obama, Merkel, and other leaders. Then they have Lukashenka’s double come in and he stands and they basically say: “No, you don’t stand. It is Lukashenka.”

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 15, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

tango alpha delta posted:

In 2005 I was a civilian contractor working for the United States Department of Defense. I can safely state with great confidence that you do not gently caress with the US Military unless you have no desire to continue existing.

This kinda confirms what I always suspected: that the US is far and away the most powerful country militarily on the planet, and China is probably a far second.

Shame about the sheer dedication to militarism and weapons to make everyone dead, and not like, Healthcare or human rights, or UBI, but :shrug: I guess.

I hate it here :(

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nelson Mandingo posted:

People genuinely don't understand how powerful the US military really is after it's reformations in the 80's. There have been a lot of military stomps throughout history but it always came with heavy losses on both sides. The 1990 Gulf War was two of the largest militaries in the world fighting one another. Even Germany's incredibly successful blitzkrieg of France resulted in 40,000 casualties on their side.

The United States lost 292 people. Literally half of that was friendly fire incidents. There just hasn't been a lopsided victory on that level when two large militaries fought, ever. Fighting the United States is less about winning on the battlefield and more about creating a successful insurgency that outlasts the occupation.

Edit: Why this relates to Russia is because the US has been overestimating it badly. US military planners default position in wargames against Russia is "We believe we'll win but we have to be on the top of our game to prevent a massacre on our side." and now it's clear that no they would lose very badly. And that's a bad thing because now all they have are nukes to get their way.

Tbf, NO ONE who had any knowledge of geo-politics expected this utter dumpsterfire. The Russian military being in this shambling state shocked the world. I expected very much a very well armed insurgency/ opposition government in Lyviv, not "the Russian military traffic jams itself surrounding Kyiv for loving miles, gets picked off while the VDV parachutes into anti aircraft/ artillery fire/ OMON police are the only Russian forces to successfully enter Kyiv.

This is a bad loving joke. The greatest Russian State secret is that their military couldn't invade a Polish Walmart, let alone attack NATO and even gain ground.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 15, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TulliusCicero posted:

Tbf, NO ONE who had any knowledge of geo-politics expected this utter dumpsterfire. Thr Russian military being in this shambling state shocked the world. I expected very much a very well armed insurgency/ opposition government in Lyviv, not "the Russian military traffic jams itself surrounding Kyiv for loving miles, gets picked off while the VDV parachutes into anti aircraft/ artillery fire/ OMON police are the only Russian forces to successfully enter Kyiv.

This is a bad loving joke. The greatest Russian State secret is that their military couldn't invade a Polish Walmart, let alone attack NATO and even gain ground.

The OMON police turn towards a crowd holding Aks and thinks "oh yes they're rising up against the kyivan government let's go greet them"

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
This has been my understanding of events over the past 70 or so years, if memory serves:

The US: We must be able to fight a war in 2 theaters! We must not allow the mistakes of WWII to happen again! We will maintain an active fighting force that is well trained and equipped to counter the Russian AND Chinese threat! *does exactly that because of oversight committees and watch dog groups*

China: Holy gently caress! Holy poo poo! They really mean it! gently caress! gently caress! gently caress! *builds something like a fighting force that seems capable of maybe taking Taiwan but who knows*

Russia: Hey, our nukes from the Soviet times works still, nyet? Well then, we will buy yachts and dachas for everyone, and hope the US is still afraid of those nukes! *grifts and corruption happen on an epic scale the likes of which have never before seen in human history*

Bottom line: the US, Russia and China have been holding each other's population centers hostage with nukes, conventional war poo poo is for the GDP of those 3 Nations, and their customers are everyone else not in the nuclear club.

Ukraine is saying, "gently caress you, gently caress your nukes, get the gently caress out of Ukraine!"

And that makes them pretty loving alright in my book.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Ukraine is saying, "gently caress you, gently caress your nukes, get the gently caress out of Ukraine!"

And that makes them pretty loving alright in my book.

It's this^

This is not a dick wagging competition. This is a war for sovereignty and independence.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

TulliusCicero posted:

This kinda confirms what I always suspected: that the US is far and away the most powerful country militarily on the planet, and China is probably a far second.

Shame about the sheer dedication to militarism and weapons to make everyone dead, and not like, Healthcare or human rights, or UBI, but :shrug: I guess.

I realize that you're not saying this, and I don't mean to derail into uspol, but in the interests of the joke not becoming perceived as true: universal healthcare would be less expensive than what we are doing now and we could totally do both. it's discouraging that it hasn't become our priority in such a way it's made real (for all the times it's been attempted), but the military budget isn't why we don't get to visit the doctor.

TulliusCicero posted:

It's this^

This is not a dick wagging competition. This is a war for sovereignty and independence.

and while we're sort of on the subject of budgets I'm somewhat worried about post-war reconstruction even if Ukraine decisively restores its borders. hopefully we can defeat austerity types saying "but we've already given so much military aid [a significant fraction in mothballed equipment we'd have had to pay to destroy soon anyway], now I'm supposed to pay for their highways???" to give Ukraine a proper leg up into EU accession.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

If the US had universal healthcare on the level of other first world countries, we would have far better outcomes, and also save huge, huge amounts of money and be able to afford even more exciting explody things.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Tunicate posted:

that's kind of understating how surreal it is

He's a tv comedian who wrote and starred in a series where a normal guy's rant about political corruption went viral, and the disgruntled public gets him elected with over 60% of the vote.

That series went viral, which meant the disgruntled public got him elected with over 70% of the vote.

He's the only man this has ever happened to twice.

He also played a piano with his cock

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

tiaz posted:

I realize that you're not saying this, and I don't mean to derail into uspol, but in the interests of the joke not becoming perceived as true: universal healthcare would be less expensive than what we are doing now and we could totally do both. it's discouraging that it hasn't become our priority in such a way it's made real (for all the times it's been attempted), but the military budget isn't why we don't get to visit the doctor.

This isn't politics and should be repeated as often as possible so people who don't know this get on UHC train.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

thekeeshman posted:

If the US had universal healthcare on the level of other first world countries, we would have far better outcomes, and also save huge, huge amounts of money and be able to afford even more exciting explody things.

This is true.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

In todays stupid medieval cosplay news

https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1658135863375667201?t=s-GouYjBv20dzjVXwGfmHQ&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:honk: patrol footage

https://i.imgur.com/Kd6mJNS.mp4

thekeeshman posted:

It's honestly pretty surprising that the healthcare lobby is somehow overpowering the MIC on this. Please fix your healthcare and build a few more carriers. An F-35 in every garage.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ah I thought the carrier group, including the ships surrounding it with Patriot systems on all sides and shitloads of long range missiles to destroy attack platforms, would be enough to keep the thing safe against however many hypersonic missiles Russia has left.

Ha, Aegis cruisers have poo poo that's even better than Patriot missiles.

But besides that, Russia still has attack subs and those are what I'd be worried about even more than missiles.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I totally get the "it's not worth risking the carrier for something so easily winnable" and "NOOOOKS" arguments. Just wanted to know if I was missing something in believing a modern air force and navy would roll this stupid conflict up in weeks if it became necessary.

Yes, if the US was providing air support, the Ukrainians would absolutely roll the Russians. Even without the new modern armor, they'd do it with their old soviet and tractor-captured stuff.

Air superiority is a force multiplier. It's great for neutralizing armor, which then frees up your own ground forces to work together more closely and concentrate on enemy infantry.

A huge problem for the Russians has been, lacking air support themselves, they have to think about armor vs armor fights. That means you can't have your infantry as close to the armor. That's bad because infantry screening is what protects the armor from Javelins. All of this favors the defender a lot. (This is also why the Ukrainian counter-offensives take relatively small chunks of ground, at least until the Russians panic and retreat.)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Russia messed with the honk and so got the bonk. Ukraine, having experience with the local terrain and fauna, avoided this outcome

mobby_6kl posted:

It's honestly pretty surprising that the healthcare lobby is somehow overpowering the MIC on this. Please fix your healthcare and build a few more carriers. An F-35 in every garage.

I need a government-subsidized rifle in 6.8 Fury because I've seen rabbits around my neighborhood lately and I'm afraid they're going to eat my rhubarb plant and what if they're wearing level 4 trauma plates :argh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Deptfordx posted:

I wonder, and to be clear I'm not saying it is, but I wonder if he does have any doubles.

That seems pretty much a must-have fashion accessory for your absolute dictator.

So does a uniform jacket that’s tailored and doesn’t show nip but here we are

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lol his right arm veins are tapped out

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fighter_bomber claims it's not yet well known whether Ukraine or friendly fire downed those 4 aircraft (and afaik he's either a russian aviation officer or in touch with one, so it's pretty interesting if they really don't know at that level)

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1658076488082546690

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
denazification going great in Ukraine. In Ukrainian and Russian telegram channels there's a video of a drone grenade that got dropped on a group of three Russians, one of them was wounded, and the other two fuckin robbed him of his weapon and helmet lol. Literally just stealing the dude's poo poo as he was on the ground trying to get them to help him. Then they just hosed off and left their buddy there in the middle of the road. The Ukrainians went and rescued the guy themselves and now he's a POW

World's Second Biggest Military folks

Edit: also, near the Kremlin right now, there are some unknown drones circling around. Interesting.

Edit 2: Abrams in Germany and Ukrainians will begin training on them shortly

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 15, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/N6SLQ71.mp4

This is the good russian gear

Not much fun in Crimea, no.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

mobby_6kl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/N6SLQ71.mp4

This is the good russian gear

That looks exactly like a wish.com "fuel filter" so lol.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Is that something suppressors do if you shoot enough bullets out of them or did somebody sniper elite the last guy right down the barrel?

B-Rock452 posted:

That looks exactly like a wish.com "fuel filter" so lol.

Or this I guess!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nelson Mandingo posted:

People genuinely don't understand how powerful the US military really is after it's reformations in the 80's. There have been a lot of military stomps throughout history but it always came with heavy losses on both sides. The 1990 Gulf War was two of the largest militaries in the world fighting one another. Even Germany's incredibly successful blitzkrieg of France resulted in 40,000 casualties on their side.

Do you have any details about these US military reforms in the 80s? Not doubting this, just curious. How were things before? What did they change?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Is that something suppressors do if you shoot enough bullets out of them or did somebody sniper elite the last guy right down the barrel?

My guess is it wasn't threaded on correctly and the round just went straight through the "silencer." I don't know much about silencers but I've never seen one fail like that.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

But besides that, Russia still has attack subs and those are what I'd be worried about even more than missiles.

Someone claimed that the US has enough subs of their own that they would be able to just shadow all the Russian ones at all times. Now I dunno, but I'm gonna lol at that thought anyway

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Looks like an end-cap strike. Mis-threaded, wrong ammunition for the suppressor, bullet came apart, all sorts of fun things can cause that.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

jaete posted:

Someone claimed that the US has enough subs of their own that they would be able to just shadow all the Russian ones at all times. Now I dunno, but I'm gonna lol at that thought anyway

Dunno about US but UK subs tail the northern fleet subs pretty regularly, well used to before this invasion. Supposedly it is childs play tailing them. Looking at the skill of this invasion, I don't doubt it any more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mobby_6kl posted:

Carriers in the Black Sea aren't going to happen as was mentioned but they wouldn't be necessary when Ukraine borders Poland, Hungary and Slovakia. Here's a preview of how things would go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRgfBXn6Mg

Except russia's remaining crap is from that era while the US has F-22s and F-35s and god knows what else now.

If there ever was a situation that needed another Desert Storm, this is it, but everyone is too scared of nooooks.

Can't think why

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

jaete posted:

American subs are all nuclear, and the treaty on Black Sea bans nuclear subs.

Still, there are many good reasons to not put a carrier in the black sea, and "Russia has a bunch of old, rusty diesel-electric boats in it", isn't really one of them.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

jaete posted:

Do you have any details about these US military reforms in the 80s? Not doubting this, just curious. How were things before? What did they change?

I can't name specific details and programs. But mostly it was many of the weapons and vehicles we see today were completed R&D and construction and the United States finished it's transition to a professional military and stopped using conscripts. Vietnam was the pressure cooker that proved that forcing people into the military for a war they don't want to fight is just going to significantly degrade effectiveness. Meanwhile many if not a majority of your average soldiers will grumble and might personally think that the Iraq war was a mistake (and lets be clear, it was). But they're going to do their job because they signed up for it and the check clears on payday every time.

Look no further than the Russians in this war for further proof of that.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1658024786642042880
The exact same situation that happened around Kreminna and Svatove last year, except this time the mobiks couldn't hold off Ukraine so good. Within 3 to 5 days, 40% of the hastily mobilized forces that attempted to save Bakhmut's flanks became irrecoverable casualties, primarily KIA. Also of interest is that the Russian MoD have also sent penal battalions out of sheer desperation, when it was noted before that they were mainly being seen near Vuhledar and Avdiivka. Also explains in part why Ukraine needed more men there to continue pushing and called them up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

The PLA of today is very different than the PLA of even 15 years ago. I think it's assuming too much call them a far second. OTOH maybe they'd turn out to be a wet fart like Russia, who knows.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If anything, seeing what's happening to Russia is going to cause some reevaluation of their abilities and how to improve, if only to avoid a public humiliation if in the future they ever decide to actually make a move militarily.

About the only thing I can imagine getting in that way is the chatter that Xi has a rep for being the kind of guy you don't want to give bad news to. Which is another one of those perfect conditions for corruption and incompetence to go unaddressed.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I can't name specific details and programs. But mostly it was many of the weapons and vehicles we see today were completed R&D and construction and the United States finished it's transition to a professional military and stopped using conscripts. Vietnam was the pressure cooker that proved that forcing people into the military for a war they don't want to fight is just going to significantly degrade effectiveness. Meanwhile many if not a majority of your average soldiers will grumble and might personally think that the Iraq war was a mistake (and lets be clear, it was). But they're going to do their job because they signed up for it and the check clears on payday every time.

Look no further than the Russians in this war for further proof of that.
Another important step was the passage of the Goldwater-Nichols Act in 1986 which forced the US military to really get serious about integrating all the branches of the service and conducting joint operations. The saying about Vietnam was that the US fought four different wars there (the Army's war, the Navy's war, the Air Force's war, and the Marine's war) with very little coordination and large amounts of duplicated or wasted effort, and the 1983 Grenada operation was a complete clownshow that compelled Congress to force the military to stop paying lip service to joint operations and reorganize itself. Which meant that in 1991, the entire US force in Desert Storm was run by a single army general, who had direct overall authority over the marine, air force, and naval units under his command.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

Can't think why
Neither can I :shrug:

Runa posted:

If anything, seeing what's happening to Russia is going to cause some reevaluation of their abilities and how to improve, if only to avoid a public humiliation if in the future they ever decide to actually make a move militarily.

About the only thing I can imagine getting in that way is the chatter that Xi has a rep for being the kind of guy you don't want to give bad news to. Which is another one of those perfect conditions for corruption and incompetence to go unaddressed.
Allegedly they poo poo a brick once already after seeing how things would play out in the Gulf War, so this is another opportunity to (try to) unfuck things. But yeah as long as reporting good news upward is the most important thing, it might not make much of a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lol i wonder if ukraine popping that Kinzhal with the patriot was the trigger for this:

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-743121

US General says Iron Dome ready for deployment in Ukraine posted:

The US has an Iron Dome system ready, US Army Space and Missile Defense Commanding General Lt.-Gen. Daniel Karbler told the Senate last week when asked whether Ukraine could use one.

Ukraine on Monday criticized Israel for sending high-ranking Foreign Ministry diplomats to Moscow. Jerusalem is “having business as usual with the Russian war criminals,” a Ukrainian senior diplomatic official said.

Last week, in a Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Strategic Forces session about missile-defense issues, Sen. Angus King (Independent-Maine) asked why Iron Dome had not been deployed in Ukraine.

“We helped pay for it,” he said. “We sent something like $3 billion to Israel to develop it… Wouldn’t this be a very important resource for the Ukrainians since their principal problem right now is missile defense?”

The Iron Dome air- and missile-defense system was developed by Israeli defense company Rafael and commissioned by the Israeli government, which initially funded its development and the deployment of the first two systems. The US contributed $2.6b. to the Iron Dome project since its deployment in 2011, allowing for the production of additional systems and interception missiles. Rafael and US-based Raytheon co-produce components of intercepting missiles for the US, which has two Iron Dome systems.

In response to King’s query, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Space Policy John Plumb said the US was aiding Ukraine in its war effort with “things we can supply from our own stock,” such as Patriot missile batteries.

“We made a significant investment in missile defense and encourage our allies to do the same,” he said. “I am not aware of an Iron Dome system being offered to Ukraine.”

Karbler said the US has “two Iron Dome batteries right now. One completed new equipment training, new equipment fielding. It is prepared for deployment. The other one is wrapping up its new equipment training right now. So the army does have one [Iron Dome battery] available for deployment if we get a request from it” from Ukraine.

A spokesperson for the US Army Space and Missile Defense Command clarified that Karber was referring to the availability of the Iron Dome system for US military combatant commands, if requested, and not to Ukraine.

As the main producer of Iron Dome systems, Israel would have to grant permission for the US to send it to any other country.

Asked whether Karbler’s remarks indicated that Israel has allowed the Iron Dome to be sent to Ukraine, the Prime Minister’s Office declined to comment.

Israel has not provided Ukraine with defensive weapons, despite requests from Kyiv. Jerusalem has generally said it opposes Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, but it does not want to threaten its deconfliction mechanism with Moscow, which allows the IAF to strike Iranian targets near the northern border unimpeded by the Russian military, which maintains a presence in Syria. Israel has sent humanitarian aid and contributed and allowed the export of missile- and drone-attack warning systems to Ukraine.

Iron Dome has been the subject of mixed messages from Ukraine. Last year, Ukrainian Ambassador to Israel Yevgen Korniychuk said: “We need Iron Dome... which will allow us to save our civilian women and children from the shelling of the Russian missiles in our territory.”

Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov said: “Iron Dome does not protect against cruise and ballistic missiles.”Iron Dome defends mostly against short-range rockets and artillery shells. There are about 12 batteries in the world, including an estimated 10 in Israel – the Defense Ministry does not divulge the exact number – and two in the US.

The 10 in Israel do not actually cover the entire country and are sometimes moved to different locations that might be attacked. Ukraine is 11 times larger than Israel, meaning that one Iron Dome battery would protect very little of it.

A Ukrainian senior diplomatic official on Monday sharply criticized Israel for a meeting on May 5 in Moscow attended by Foreign Ministry Deputy Director-General for Strategic Affairs Joshua Zarka, Deputy Director-General for Euro-Asia Simona Halperin and Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov.

The sides primarily discussed the Iranian nuclear threat and diplomacy related to the currently defunct Iran nuclear deal, the Russian Foreign Ministry said. Jerusalem confirmed that the meeting took place but would not provide further details.The Ukrainian senior diplomatic official said Kyiv was “deeply disappointed by the exchange of visits by the Israeli and Russian [Foreign Ministry] officials while Russia is butchering our citizens.”

“We are being attacked by terrorists that are steadily supported by the Russia-Iran alliance, and yet, Israeli officials keep having business as usual with the Russian war criminals,” the official said. “Israel has to decide if it is a part of the Western world and stands besides Ukraine or whether it embraces the world’s dark forces. Neutrality is not an option.”

“As a nation that is also attacked by terror funded by Iran, we expect Israel not to be the only Western country with strong ties with Russia,” the Ukrainian senior diplomatic official said.

The Foreign Ministry declined to respond to the Ukrainian remarks.