Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DesperateDan posted:

goddamn beverley's scottish sex ghost episode is so insane, a representation of scotland straight out of garth marhenghi's "darkplace" mashed into a mills and boone "romance"

Beverly sighed as the ghost went down on her. They tried all the positions: doggy, on top, and normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

He got one incident in with Sisko and gave up under the withering glare.

He tried that on Kira once and she told him if he tried it again he'd shove the PADD so far down his gelatinous goo form that all he could mimic is a PADD for weeks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Something I've noticed is that whenever Troi or Bev get an A plot it's always about a new boyfriend that's hosed up

They did that to Jadzia a bunch too but at least she got to go on Klingon missions

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

zoux posted:

Something I've noticed is that whenever Troi or Bev get an A plot it's always about a new boyfriend that's hosed up

Well yeah, what else are ladies going to do?

Every once in a while the writers would let them have a real plot. Bev's busted rear end universe, Troi's Romulan cosplay.

Troi got the worst of it. The three times they let her have a fun story she was always great.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mooseontheloose posted:

He tried that on Kira once and she told him if he tried it again he'd shove the PADD so far down his gelatinous goo form that all he could mimic is a PADD for weeks.

No wonder he got all het up for her.

(You know Odo is a sub.)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just watched it the other day and was surprised that Cause and Effect was basically a Beverly story, she's the one you follow for most of it as they become more aware of the loops.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

Now is that just Odo, or is that how all Cardassian offices work?

Probably how Cardassian offices work.

Like how Garak said their mystery stories are "who is guilty of what."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Boxturret posted:

I just watched it the other day and was surprised that Cause and Effect was basically a Beverly story, she's the one you follow for most of it as they become more aware of the loops.

That episode is also a "holy poo poo they finally referenced and even made a tiny model out of shuttle bay 1" episode

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Boxturret posted:

Between this and Remember Me and ghost candle Beverly really got some banger "space weirdness" stories, huh

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like it when Beverly gets something to do because she often becomes a bit of an unstoppable force. If she gets it into her head she needs to do something, she'll go for it, drat the torpedoes. She's extremely persistent. And she's the character that always has absolutely zero truck with any 'oh maybe we need to do something slightly morally grey here'. She knows what's right and what's wrong and she'll tell you.

It's really a missed opportunity that they didn't make more use of her with those traits, they're stuff you could've very easily built more episodes around.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 14, 2023

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I like it when Beverly gets something to do because she often becomes a bit of an unstoppable force. If she gets it into her head she needs to do something, she'll go for it, drat the torpedoes. And she's the character that always has absolutely zero truck with any 'oh maybe we need to do something slightly morally grey here'. She knows what's right and what's wrong and she'll tell you.

It's really a missed opportunity that they didn't make more use of her with those traits, they're stuff you could've very easily built more episodes around.

If only they remembered that in Picard.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I always loved the Beverly episode about the metaphasic shield.

Suspicions I think it was called. Another weird episode.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

MikeJF posted:

I like it when Beverly gets something to do because she often becomes a bit of an unstoppable force. If she gets it into her head she needs to do something, she'll go for it, drat the torpedoes. She's extremely persistent. And she's the character that always has absolutely zero truck with any 'oh maybe we need to do something slightly morally grey here'. She knows what's right and what's wrong and she'll tell you.

She also very strongly believes in that Ferengi scientist and their work, to the point that in Descent, later that season, she even has the crew user the shielding and flying into the sun mostly untested. She's wild.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I do like the moment where she takes over tactical and is just like "You learn a lot in 20 years" another Bev thing where she's like "well if I'm gonna learn something I'm gonna be good at it"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Beverly was one of the only members of the senior staff in I, Borg who was willing to point out how insane it was to develop a Borg genocide plan. Even Troi, iirc, didn't say anything; only Beverly was speaking up to say, "This is hosed up, guys".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Not to jump to Picard's defense, but they actually... kind of did? Basically all of Beverly's big moments across the season were major "Get the gently caress out of my way, loser" moments, from her gunning down the goo bird people in the prologue, to her telling Picard to gently caress off about why she took off with Jack into the wilderness for 20 years, to her figuring out what was up with the nebula, to her trying to gun down Vadic when she was their hostage, to lighting the Borg hypercube up with phasers and photons in the finale.

Beverly didn't take anyone's poo poo and it was kinda great.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Not to jump to Picard's defense, but they actually... kind of did? Basically all of Beverly's big moments across the season were major "Get the gently caress out of my way, loser" moments, from her gunning down the goo bird people in the prologue, to her telling Picard to gently caress off about why she took off with Jack into the wilderness for 20 years, to her figuring out what was up with the nebula, to her trying to gun down Vadic when she was their hostage, to lighting the Borg hypercube up with phasers and photons in the finale.

Beverly didn't take anyone's poo poo and it was kinda great.

It was mostly her wanting to kill a prisoner in cold blood and Picard debating it with her for 2 seconds before giving in wasn't quite living up to her being the moral centre of the TNG crew.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eighties ZomCom posted:

It was mostly her wanting to kill a prisoner in cold blood and Picard debating it with her for 2 seconds before giving in wasn't quite living up to her being the moral centre of the TNG crew.

To be fair (god I hate defending Picard, but I keep doing it) Beverly was also coming at that from a place of "this is a prisoner of war... who has hurt and killed dozens of people, probably more, specifically to abduct my son for some nefarious probably not at all Borg related purposes. gently caress the bitch.", so it's a tiny bit more understandable in the moment. But yeah I get it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair (god I hate defending Picard, but I keep doing it) Beverly was also coming at that from a place of "this is a prisoner of war... who has hurt and killed dozens of people, probably more, specifically to abduct my son for some nefarious probably not at all Borg related purposes. gently caress the bitch.", so it's a tiny bit more understandable in the moment. But yeah I get it.

'But this is FAMILY' is pretty much the opposite of having principles. Nepobaby Generation really is the central theme.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Bev's "SHUT UP WESLEY" was also arguably better than gene luck pickerd's too

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

'But this is FAMILY' is pretty much the opposite of having principles. Nepobaby Generation really is the central theme.

I'm surprised no one has coined "Star Trek: The Nep Generation" as a descriptor for Picard S3 yet, honestly.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Beverly was one of the only members of the senior staff in I, Borg who was willing to point out how insane it was to develop a Borg genocide plan. Even Troi, iirc, didn't say anything; only Beverly was speaking up to say, "This is hosed up, guys".

She does the same thing to Jellico in Chain of Command basically calling him out for trying to agitate a war.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

zoux posted:

I guess that Romulan officer who's a member of Spock's Underground counts as a boyfriend who hosed up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

V-Men posted:

I guess that Romulan officer who's a member of Spock's Underground counts as a boyfriend who hosed up.

Saw the one where they rescue the dome hermits from the stellar fragment and guess who has a new boyfriend with problems!

One of the fun things about a rewatch is the feeling like "wait a minute, is this an episode I haven't seen?" and sitting forward only to remember "Oh no, this is the one where Geordi gets turned into a lizard"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

She does the same thing to Jellico in Chain of Command basically calling him out for trying to agitate a war.

I do like the beat where Jellico's laying out his plan to ratchet up the tension with the Cardassians and Riker says something like "He's pretty sure of himself, isn't he?", clearly meaning it as an insult, and Troi replies "No. He's not". It's a rare case of using her powers subtly in the narrative.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I do like the beat where Jellico's laying out his plan to ratchet up the tension with the Cardassians and Riker says something like "He's pretty sure of himself, isn't he?", clearly meaning it as an insult, and Troi replies "No. He's not". It's a rare case of using her powers subtly in the narrative.

I really liked that too. Though it does imply that Troi knows all of the times Picard was feigning confidence like in "Attached."

Having fun now imagining Troi rolling her eyes off to the side as Picard gives some rallying speech.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He's the captain; he's entitled

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Not entitled to ramble on about something everyone knows.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Just saw tapestry and the opening of DS9 and seeing Picard, Dax, and Bashir in TNG blue uniforms really makes me wish more people wore them, its a nice colour.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Going to the Phoenix Comicon Fan Fusion the first weekend of June to meet Shatner and get an autograph, and since he’s probably gonna be signing 99% Star Trek stuff at the event, I figured I should get something unique for an autograph canvas, and picked this up today.

A new recording and pressing released last year to commemorate when he went into space.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
halfway through season 1 of ds9 at the moment and its a breath of fresh air from season 7 of tng

-bashir needs to tone it the gently caress down a bit, drat

-that first scene with him and garak is amazing though

-lighting seems quite harshly done but I like it

-although I would love a remaster, the grain and quality reminds me of late 90s TV and it has a nostalgic property

-o'brien gets better use as a primary cast member right from the start than tng

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DesperateDan posted:

halfway through season 1 of ds9 at the moment and its a breath of fresh air from season 7 of tng

-bashir needs to tone it the gently caress down a bit, drat

-that first scene with him and garak is amazing though

-lighting seems quite harshly done but I like it

-although I would love a remaster, the grain and quality reminds me of late 90s TV and it has a nostalgic property

-o'brien gets better use as a primary cast member right from the start than tng

Is this your first watch of DS9?

I won't spoil anything, but most of the characters (particularly Bashir) get much better after the first season or so.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Boxturret posted:

Just saw tapestry and the opening of DS9 and seeing Picard, Dax, and Bashir in TNG blue uniforms really makes me wish more people wore them, its a nice colour.

I had a friend photoshop this up for me to use as my avatar when doing Star Trek Adventures on roll20

I thought data should have been in blue, but the same with no head engineer, the TNG cast were trying to not be carbon copies of TOS

data in blue would have been to close to spock in blue

I assume they put picard in red to just not be in gold like kirk, maybe Patrick Stewart looked better in red too

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

WhiteHowler posted:

Is this your first watch of DS9?

I won't spoil anything, but most of the characters (particularly Bashir) get much better after the first season or so.

it was my initial experience with trek but I only caught about half the episodes as a kid (bbc2 were poo poo about showing them regularly), then I watched it in full a few years back but at a pace of a few episodes a week- now I'm doing all the trek in binges and scoring them I'm paying a bit more attention critically

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DesperateDan posted:

What grain? DS9 was finished on video and it has all the natural fuzziness of the format.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

"this is one of Starfleet's most important stations at a critical strategic point, so, erm, you get gently caress all resources and support, good luck"

Timby posted:

What grain? DS9 was finished on video and it has all the natural fuzziness of the format.

Okay it's video fuzz then or whatever it's just very reminiscent of watching it on TV as a kid

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s wild to me that film grain was considered undesirable in the early days of HD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HD DAD posted:

It’s wild to me that film grain was considered undesirable in the early days of HD.

There's still a ton of people complaining about it with 4k remasters. They want everything slick like a digital capture.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

DesperateDan posted:

"this is one of Starfleet's most important stations at a critical strategic point, so, erm, you get gently caress all resources and support, good luck"

You'd think that, if Sisko's mission was to bring Bajor into the Federation, he'd at least get a diplomat or something. But it seems the Federation's negotiation strategy was to hang around in orbit and just hope the Bajorans would sign up.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I do recall watching the first couple of episodes of DS9 on Netflix and they looked like they were taken off a VHS tape. The quality improves later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

No Luck Needed posted:

I had a friend photoshop this up for me to use as my avatar when doing Star Trek Adventures on roll20

I thought data should have been in blue, but the same with no head engineer, the TNG cast were trying to not be carbon copies of TOS

data in blue would have been to close to spock in blue

I assume they put picard in red to just not be in gold like kirk, maybe Patrick Stewart looked better in red too

IIRC Data makeup was also really messing up with the blue uniform.