Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Holy poo poo, this is my Costco! :patriot: - and I think I was there last Sunday. Guess I got lucky I skipped the food court to rush home and try the Jongga I purchased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

Costco is the best resource for high quality ingredients out there (as of this writing at least). It's loving absurd how much food is being gouged right now. It should be illegal. There should be a maximum margin that you can make on food and you are penalized the rest. Btw I believe this is how Costco operates; they take a baseline margin for the stuff they sell. So unless that changed (SHAREHOLDERS!!!!) Costco will in theory continue to be the best deal for high quality base ingredients.

I would like to know if there's a current statement on the margin thing. I've read stuff about that in the past that their profit margin is capped at X%, but when I asked an employee (making small talk to distract them from one of my questionable returns) they said something to the effect of "ehh we don't really do that rule anymore".

There's a reddit thread where someone recently said the employee orientation videos still mention it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/otvsfv/does_costco_still_adhere_to_a_max_profit_rule/

But yeah is it just an urban legend or what? This is important Costco lore!

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm not sure if it has changed or not, it's been a while since I've asked about it. But capping margin % absolutely was and probably still is a thing. As a rule, Costco would never mark up their merchandise more than 15%. The building I work at had (as of like 5 years ago, not sure about now) and overall average markup of 11-12%. The money they make off of selling stuff is barely enough to pay for the utilities in the building. That's why they're always pushing people to get the executive membership. Memberships fees are 100% profit for them.

A comment in the reddit thread linked above mentioned one thing that I always found interesting. Companies sometimes pay Costco money to feature their items on the end caps. Some of those items aren't very big sellers, and Costco potentially makes more money from the company paying them to put it on the end cap than they do in the amount of sales on the item.

And while we're on the topic of Costco merchandising, has anyone ever thought about the total dollar value in merchandise Costco has inside just one of their stores? Obviously it varies from store to store, but I'm curious what people might guess.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm not sure if it has changed or not, it's been a while since I've asked about it. But capping margin % absolutely was and probably still is a thing. As a rule, Costco would never mark up their merchandise more than 15%. The building I work at had (as of like 5 years ago, not sure about now) and overall average markup of 11-12%. The money they make off of selling stuff is barely enough to pay for the utilities in the building. That's why they're always pushing people to get the executive membership. Memberships fees are 100% profit for them.

A comment in the reddit thread linked above mentioned one thing that I always found interesting. Companies sometimes pay Costco money to feature their items on the end caps. Some of those items aren't very big sellers, and Costco potentially makes more money from the company paying them to put it on the end cap than they do in the amount of sales on the item.

And while we're on the topic of Costco merchandising, has anyone ever thought about the total dollar value in merchandise Costco has inside just one of their stores? Obviously it varies from store to store, but I'm curious what people might guess.

20 bajillion dollars

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ROJO posted:

Holy poo poo, this is my Costco! :patriot: - and I think I was there last Sunday. Guess I got lucky I skipped the food court to rush home and try the Jongga I purchased.

:yeah:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
My guess would be maybe 5 million in inventory at my local Costco.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

pentyne posted:

Costco needs to borrow a page from Aldi and using those coin locks for carts, because for some reason people will walk across the entire parking lot in the middle of a 95F day with 100% humidity with their empty cart just to get that 25 cents back.

The Costco in Brick, NJ does this - I've never seen it at any other location.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Brick, NJ sounds like the kind of place where a guy threatens to put the namesake through your windshield for taking his parking spot even though he's leaving

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Costco pizza has gone so far downhill. It tastes like cheddar (WTF?) and has almost no sauce. It's awful. Real pizza has a thick layer of mozzarella.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

no ones going to costco for real pizza

i hope

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Number_6 posted:

Real pizza has a thick layer of mozzarella.

hmm not really, its more the correct ratio of cheese to sauce and a good dough cooked well. unless youre are talking about deep dish.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
costco pizza isnt remarkable as far as pizza goes, but its fine. i dont think ive noticed any change over time either, other than the cowardly removal of the combo slice

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Number_6 posted:

Costco pizza has gone so far downhill. It tastes like cheddar (WTF?) and has almost no sauce. It's awful. Real pizza has a thick layer of mozzarella.

Me, when ordering for poker night: "whole pepperoni pizza. Put it through the sauce carousel twice."

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

overdue costco run, ended up with:

- hatch chile sauce to try
- blueberry lemon loaf
- new bowls and plates
- other stuff that filled out the entire cart i guess i mean it's costco lol

also got a berry ice cream thing, the texture is so perfectly smooth with this initial resistance on tongue that reminds me of pressing a finger into those craft store green foam flower blocks when i was a kid

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Knot My President! posted:

also got a berry ice cream thing

Speaking of berries and ice cream, I got the Melona pack (honeydew, mango, coconut) and that rules, and I also got the Kirkland Frozen Berry Mix for my boyfriend who likes to make smoothies and he was blown away at the quality of the berries; they look nicer than the ones we bought fresh.

Here's a Costco question: do they sell a good value "serious" blender? The $25 special we have is breaking down but I also don't want to get him something gimmicky like the bullet blenders. I'm especially leery of the Ninja blenders because it's the same company that makes the Shark vacuums which are like the least reliable on the planet.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Normally we don't allow marketers to advertise on SA but since it's Costco I'll make an exception

it's da costco thread baby, understand what we are

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Number_6 posted:

I have it on good authority this poster is a member of the sam's club crew and coordinates on a private discord with other permabanned sam's club shoppers

Mods please do a ban+30 and an alt check on this user

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

BigHead posted:

Me, when ordering for poker night: "whole pepperoni pizza. Put it through the sauce carousel twice."

Just order some pizza soup like the pervert that you are.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I went to the church on saturday morning right at opening and witnessed two people getting costco food court poutines at 9 30 in the morning

i wish i was that blessed

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

halokiller posted:

does your costco sell entire frozen lamb and goat?

Mine sells these and huge boxes of "Cubed Goat"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

speaking of sams club can you like walk in as a non member

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Slotducks posted:

I went to the church on saturday morning right at opening and witnessed two people getting costco food court poutines at 9 30 in the morning

i wish i was that blessed

How hungover did they look?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i wish i could get costco poutine at any time :smith:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

esperantinc posted:

How hungover did they look?

not hungover at all - it was weird

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of berries and ice cream, I got the Melona pack (honeydew, mango, coconut) and that rules, and I also got the Kirkland Frozen Berry Mix for my boyfriend who likes to make smoothies and he was blown away at the quality of the berries; they look nicer than the ones we bought fresh.

Here's a Costco question: do they sell a good value "serious" blender? The $25 special we have is breaking down but I also don't want to get him something gimmicky like the bullet blenders. I'm especially leery of the Ninja blenders because it's the same company that makes the Shark vacuums which are like the least reliable on the planet.

They sell the Vitamix which is a serious blender. It's spendy though. It was recently $100 off which is probably as good as it gets to buy one.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

Alan Smithee posted:

speaking of sams club can you like walk in as a non member

why would you ever step foot in there?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Not trying to cheat on Costco but I’m curious about the pizza

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Alan Smithee posted:

Not trying to cheat on Costco but I’m curious about the pizza

my sam's club stopped posting someone at the door to check cards a while ago, but no clue if that's a policy thing or just my lovely location thing.

the pizza has more cheese and toppings (and more topping options) than costco's, but the crust isn't as good. Costco's slice is better overall

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
It might just be my imagination but my last trip to church I had a slice of pizza and it looked a little bit smaller than usual. Are we getting shrinkflationed here?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Zero VGS posted:

As already mentioned, Vitamix is running a $100 manufacturer’s coupon ATM.

If you want to get real serious about your blending though you have to head over to business center and grab a Blendtec Connoisseur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsTZm7QtY84

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

mds2 posted:

huge boxes of "Cubed Goat"

Uh, where is this because I really need to go make a poo poo ton of goat curry.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

binge crotching posted:

Uh, where is this because I really need to go make a poo poo ton of goat curry.

Lincoln, NE.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hey! I ordered RX glasses at Costco and they're ready! Do I need my receipt to pick them up or can I just go in with my Costco Card and they'll find it that way?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey! I ordered RX glasses at Costco and they're ready! Do I need my receipt to pick them up or can I just go in with my Costco Card and they'll find it that way?

I've never needed either, but you'll have your costco card handy since you just walked in. For contacts they just hand em to you when you tell em your name, but for glasses they* usually want you to grab a number so they can have you put them on in front of them to make sure they fit and the rx is right and all that. They'll maybe ask for your card or an ID but usually they just ask your name.

*my local optical department, the one you go to might be different

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Dick Fontaine posted:

As already mentioned, Vitamix is running a $100 manufacturer’s coupon ATM.

If you want to get real serious about your blending though you have to head over to business center and grab a Blendtec Connoisseur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsTZm7QtY84

how does this guy have fingers still?!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

schreibs posted:

how does this guy have fingers still?!

When you were partying he studied the blender.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A year or more ago I got some simple shop lights that I really liked and have been gone ever since, and just appeared online. Hallelujah. There's much less expensive than anything similar from Lowes Depot. Since the simple ones left the warehouse it's been either nothing or smart shop lights with a remote that I are fine but not what I wanted for the application.

I ordered 5 two packs. My basement and garage will be lit!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I want the RGB motion nightlights/emergency flash lights to come back so bad. Walking around my house being softly lit as I go in nice red light.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

My guess would be maybe 5 million in inventory at my local Costco.

In the pharmacy perhaps...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Number_6 posted:

This poster is correct.