Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
sally shows her son youtube videos of how to assemble a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One hour left in my second-favorite show.

Hank's completely broken :negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
weird how its 30 mins

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
are we not getting a double-length finale?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

George H.W. oval office posted:

I always love the hired goons being impressed by the various things. Just dudes happy as can be with a party or an infinity pool.

I kind of hope there's a big moment where there's about to be a fight and all Fuches' goons reveal they're petty crooks at best

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

mutantIke posted:

are we not getting a double-length finale?

there was something posted somewhere that indicated it would be 35 minutes

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Was Bill Burr one of the podcasters? I was pretty drunk when I watched the episode but I remember thinking that's kind of an unmistakable voice.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

Was Bill Burr one of the podcasters? I was pretty drunk when I watched the episode but I remember thinking that's kind of an unmistakable voice.

Yeah Bill Burr was the pastor who killed someone and thought that was totally fine

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Mister Speaker posted:

Yup

FireWorksWell posted:

"If you go back and watch the replay, you'll see Zorillo check my teammate Mark Flanagan, putting him in the hospital. This gave me an intense feeling, that I knew was a sign from God saying, 'You got my blessing, Nicky.'"

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

can we get a list of funny things barry s4e6?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Barry being so obsessed with signs he ignores the big red STOP on the passing school buss and doesn't think twice about the fact that Gene's door is ajar in the middle of the night

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
NoHo Hank building an empire on sand is pretty on the nose. You can't bury the past, Hank!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

panko posted:

It was less funny than e5. Separately, there was less child abuse.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

panko posted:

The opening where Barry tries to teach Sally to assemble a gun and is concerned his son won't know them.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

panko posted:

The entire opening with Fuchs may have been the hardest I've laughed at this show. Root's facial expressions were killing me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, when Root is at the Starbucks and picks up on the older barista with his deranged look and then she's at the Noho Hank dinner party with her daughter and Root is just sloshed and openly talking about Cristobal's murder. Or the fact that Hank made his company 'Nohobal' cause my brain was initially going "Oh no, that looks close to a portmanteau...but he wouldn't have done that" and yeah, he's just propped up Cristobal as a martyr symbol for the company and that's just gotta be a constant reminder to him of what he did, but also in an ugly, gaudy way (like what that gold statue in the lobby with Cristobal in just normal attire). Or even the home invader to me had darkly comedic tones, cause while terrifying, it seemed to be setup like a person in a stage play who dresses in all black to mesh with the backdrop, but you know they're there cause it's still pretty obvious...but also the previous is dressed in all black in the day middle of the day in a brightly lit room. So there's some comedy there in the absurdity.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Fuches picking up that woman at Starbucks and then he also brings around her daughter who is going to Pepperdine was insane and hilarious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The reveal of the burglar was freaky as all hell.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Pepperdine

Great volleyball

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Take two bites of that salad and come with me

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

panko posted:

the son going "nooo" at having to stay with sally, and then barry going "yeah i know"

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Barry, casually picking up a gun next to the toy aisle and his very specific cherry picking when it comes to religion. Also, Sally being frustrated that the kid doesn't appreciate all the effort she went through to burn a cheese toast.
It's really impressive, that goddamm Barry is the comparatively good parent. I literally can't think of a person from this series who would be a worse parent than that. Taylor, maybe? I miss Taylor. He had a certain energy.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also the touch of the gun section in not-Walmart being directly adjacent to a toy section of the store. But yeah, there were a lot more obviously comedic beats in this versus the last episode.

Was it clearer to anyone what was going on with the house shifting? Was it that it was just the large truck outside pushing against the house (and that's why the tire penetrated the wall) or was it maybe someone trying to actually wholesale just take the house? I assume this also goes along with whoever knocked on the door in the previous episode in the middle of the night.

exmarx posted:

the son going "nooo" at having to stay with sally, and then barry going "yeah i know"

FireWorksWell posted:

These were also great, but man, it really can't be overstated how much Barry and his son just loathe/disrespect Sally, and the feeling is there in spades from Sally.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

cant cook creole bream posted:

I literally can't think of a person from this series who would be a worse parent than that. Taylor, maybe? I miss Taylor. He had a certain energy.

taylor would have made an amazing parent, to a boy who adhered absolutely to masculine gender roles

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sally not knowing how to cook basic rear end poo poo kinda flies in the face of her being a struggling actress in the first season

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I honestly don't even know what the gently caress happened in the scene with Sally and how much of it was real. For all I knew she trashed the whole house herself. Hell, maybe that's not even the first time that happened. The place looked like it was in a mayor earth quake. It's probably a lovely collection of toothpicks, but it feels like ramming a truck into a wall shouldn't shift the whole thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Sally not knowing how to cook basic rear end poo poo kinda flies in the face of her being a struggling actress in the first season

To be fair, she's drunk and depressed and doesn't really care about her child. That doesn't really make it better, does it?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I miss Taylor. He had a certain energy.

So do I because, as hosed up as it is, he was somehow a good influence on Barry. He showed Barry things he never realized were options and could have even been a good friend ro him. Yeah he rolled over Barry like so many others but he seemed to care about Barry at least a little bit for how short he knew him. If Barry grew a spine and shut down his bullahit harder they would have been great together.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
The Walmart in my hometown had sporting goods (guns) right next to toys when I was growing up.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

lest we forget that taylor never once tried to screw over barry and also managed to successfully leeroy jenkins nearly an entire hideout full of bolivians. he caused his own death by getting chris and vaughn involved though because both those guys were definitely not on his and barry’s level

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Taylor's biggest problem was definitely trying to think for himself. He claim in clutch when clearing out that stash house. He he didn't try to do anything on his own, he probably could have been successful working with Barry on things.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

The Walmart in my hometown had sporting goods (guns) right next to toys when I was growing up.

Same. That didn't even register to me as a gag.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I honestly don't even know what the gently caress happened in the scene with Sally and how much of it was real. For all I knew she trashed the whole house herself. Hell, maybe that's not even the first time that happened. The place looked like it was in a mayor earth quake. It's probably a lovely collection of toothpicks, but it feels like ramming a truck into a wall shouldn't shift the whole thing.

It’s clearly a mobile home. I could absolutely see that giant rear end truck starting to tip it over.

This show is fascinating , because it’s one of the only shows I’ve seen where you have a sequence like sally in the bedroom with the truck ramming it and you don’t actually know if it really happened. Any other show seeing that level of detail would be a dead ringer for reality.

They did suspiciously very specifically show Sally extremely drunk, and made it a point of her laying on the bed and falling asleep.

The whole Sally scene was crazy suspenseful. Hader is a master at that. It felt similar to the tiger scene but also very different.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

panko posted:

lest we forget that taylor never once tried to screw over barry and also managed to successfully leeroy jenkins nearly an entire hideout full of bolivians. he caused his own death by getting chris and vaughn involved though because both those guys were definitely not on his and barry’s level

With that approach he would have died either way, right? I guess if Barry had been sitting in front, he might have grabbed the wheel, but that's a bit tenuous.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s clearly a mobile home. I could absolutely see that giant rear end truck starting to tip it over.

By American standards, I wouldn't consider that a giant rear end truck, but fair enough.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 15, 2023

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

more marines means that he has less chances to utilize the single brain cell they share

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

With that approach he would have died either way, right? I guess if Barry had been sitting in front, he might have grabbed the wheel, but that's a bit tenuous.

By American standards, I wouldn't consider that a giant rear end truck, but fair enough.

I don't think Barry would have gone right in. He wasn't in the car at all at the time, was he? It's been a while.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't think Barry would have gone right in. He wasn't in the car at all at the time, was he? It's been a while.

I just checked. Barry and the the nerdy one he shot later on sat in the back. Taylor was driving and the other guy was riding shotgun.
Either way, we all know that Taylor did the best anyone could have done in that situation and he bravely fought for a worthy cause to earn his seat in Valhalla. A true hero's death.

Thinking back on it. I really really love this show.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 15, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

panko posted:

Yup. I was trying to think of a time when Taylor tried to screw Barry and all I had was the hot tub thing. Sure it was selfish but I got the sense he was also thinking of how much fun it would be to hang out in a hot tub with his friend Barry.

The biggest "Taylor didn't want to screw Barry" example I have is splitting the money with Barry 50/50. He didn't try to pretend he deserved more or anything like that and even the cops mention they both had the exact same amount. In a weird way he was the most honorable man Barry knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I just remembered that that loving desert hot tub was what made Taylor's sister and her gang go after Barry. Y'know including the guy Sally killed. Her most traumatic moment was caused by that complete nonsense.

In general, I loved how Barry was the straight foil in that relationship.