Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

webcams for christ posted:

fire is reported to have started at 17:00 on this graph.
oil futures number seems unconcerned

If anything a refinery burning down is bullish for oil prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

If anything a refinery burning down is bullish for oil prices.

yup

oil prices spike anytime there’s remotely negative news about production and has for decades. I remember like 2004 some refinery in Alabama or something catching on fire and gas prices skyrocketed in ca even though it’d have no effect

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

next WTYP pod gonna be lit

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

703 posted:

:one year later:

Oops all sunsetted

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Penisaurus Sex posted:

There was a line from the old David Harvey RSA animate video that really stuck with me -- "Capitalism can't solve it's crises. It either moves them around or turns them into a barrier that must be surmounted. [So then] The character of the last crisis and the exit from it determine the next crisis."

I know the video you're talking about and it's goated. Very early mind opening stuff for me.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

that’s a blip in the long history of industrial disasters in Texas City, Texas’ version of New York City in Texas (it’s all refineries and pollution and explosions)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

texas city is like a bladerunner city

but in texas

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/15/debt-ceiling-yellen-says-us-could-run-out-of-money-by-june.html

quote:

WASHINGTON — Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen reaffirmed to Congress on Monday that the United States could default on its debt as early as June 1.

“With additional information now available, I am writing to note that we still estimate that Treasury will likely no longer be able to satisfy all of the government’s obligations if Congress has not acted to raise or suspend the debt limit by early June, and potentially as early as June 1,” she wrote.

The guidance came as the White House and congressional leaders prepared to meet Tuesday to continue negotiations over potential spending cuts in exchange for House passage of a debt ceiling hike. The Democratic majority Senate is expected to back whatever the White House negotiates.

In recent days, conflicting reports have emerged about whether negotiators are making progress.

President Joe Biden sounded optimistic this past weekend about reaching a deal with Republicans to raise or suspend the debt limit in time to avoid economic fallout from even a potential U.S. debt default.

“I really think there’s a desire on their part, as well as ours, to reach an agreement, and I think we’ll be able to do it,” Biden told reporters Sunday in Delaware. He added, “I remain optimistic because I’m a congenital optimist.”

But that optimism wasn’t matched on the other side of the table.

“I still think we’re far apart,” McCarthy told NBC News on Monday outside the Capitol, adding, “It doesn’t seem to me yet that they want a deal.”

“It seems like they want to look like they’re in a meeting,” said McCarthy. “They’re not talking anything serious.”

The Tuesday meeting between Biden, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky was initially scheduled for Friday, but postponed until Tuesday to give aides more time to talk.

The new letter also came just days after guidance from the Congressional Budget Office that said tax revenues and emergency measures after June 15 “will probably allow the government to continue financing operations through at least the end of July.”

“If the debt limit remains unchanged, there is significant risk that at some point in the first two weeks of June, the government will no longer be able to pay all of its obligations,” said the CBO report.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

16 days remain.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
talk to me when its hours, or minutes actually.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Time to take a vacation! - Congress

permabansdontexist
May 15, 2023

customers decreasing that quickly?

permabansdontexist
May 15, 2023

skooma512 posted:

Time to take a vacation! - Congress

i can't wait for them to get called in for the emergency debt ceiling band-aid

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

boooo let it burn cowards

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Oh gently caress my regional bank just sent me an email to say the bank is strong and solid and that everything is fine. This is how it starts.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sokani posted:

Oh gently caress my regional bank just sent me an email to say the bank is strong and solid and that everything is fine. This is how it starts.

lol I got one from my SF fire credit union around SVB too. big, safe, strong, great foundation, safe!

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Xaris posted:

yup

oil prices spike anytime there’s remotely negative news about production and has for decades. I remember like 2004 some refinery in Alabama or something catching on fire and gas prices skyrocketed in ca even though it’d have no effect

The US is bottlenecked on refinery capacity and can't really build more for a variety of reasons, which makes every loss in refinery capacity significant for the entire market; other suppliers can't cover the loss in production because the surplus capacity does not exist

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Notably though, back then mortgage delinquencies rising dangerously leading up to the crash. Nowadays they are decreasing:

Well yeah. Things have to be bad to be delinquent on a 2% interest mortgage. That's cheaper than renting an apartment.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Capitalism allocates resources efficiently and responds to market demand. :thunk:

Doesn't build enough housing or oil refining capacity despite these being the lynchpin of the whole economy because cartels benefits way more with restricted supply

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

skooma512 posted:

Capitalism allocates resources efficiently and responds to market demand. :thunk:

Doesn't build enough housing or oil refining capacity despite these being the lynchpin of the whole economy because cartels benefits way more with restricted supply

Well, climate policy restricts refinery growth in some states and nimby politics restricts refinery growth in all the states that don't explicitly restrict refinery expansion. Even if they didn't have a profit incentive to restrict the supply, it would still be difficult to expand capacity to the degree we need to to meet demand

It's the same rub with nuclear: we have a solution to all of our problems but panic laws and neighborhood associations prevent us from implementing the solution

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If all the billionaires died tomorrow, the world would keep on trucking like nothing happened.
If all the sanitation workers died tomorrow, the world would come to a grinding halt.

Throw billionaires in the garbage.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

If all the billionaires died tomorrow, the world would come to a grinding halt while everyone parties for a full week

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

my local grocery store has now closed off one of the two entrances and added an aggressive (and broken) system to detect whether scanned items have been placed in the bagging area

this is in northern virginia in a decent part of one of the top 10 richest counties in america.

lol, lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ash1138 posted:

my local grocery store has now closed off one of the two entrances and added an aggressive (and broken) system to detect whether scanned items have been placed in the bagging area

this is in northern virginia in a decent part of one of the top 10 richest counties in america.

lol, lmao

my local asian produce market started doing Costco-style receipt checking a month ago for the first time after being around for 40 years

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

lol, lmao

that’s more a we can’t get enough employees to cover necessary shifts sign than a shoplifting spike.

bet there is one clerk for the self checkout who also has to check anybody that won’t use the self checkout and maybe nobody else in the store.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Elman posted:

If all the billionaires died tomorrow, the world would come to a grinding halt while everyone parties for a full week

True. The world would actually be a better place lol.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There'd be a bunch of succession, and it'd be back to business as usual in short order. The billionaires are the godheads atop the system, and removing them doesn't kill the system itself. They are of course parasitic to it, but not required for its operation.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yeah that was weird. we still don't know what broke in fall 2019 that turned the money printer on right?

there was an election coming up

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Well, climate policy restricts refinery growth in some states and nimby politics restricts refinery growth in all the states that don't explicitly restrict refinery expansion. Even if they didn't have a profit incentive to restrict the supply, it would still be difficult to expand capacity to the degree we need to to meet demand

It's the same rub with nuclear: we have a solution to all of our problems but panic laws and neighborhood associations prevent us from implementing the solution

the nuclear one's a result of the fossil fuel companies being terrified of losing market share

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There'd be a bunch of succession, and it'd be back to business as usual in short order. The billionaires are the godheads atop the system, and removing them doesn't kill the system itself. They are of course parasitic to it, but not required for its operation.

Yeah I had to follow up with that but of course getting rid of individuals doesn't fix anything, it's the system itself that's the problem.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I will use 23 and me results that the cia has on file to stop the billionaire succession

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I seem to remember being told this was transitory. This is deeply concerning.

everything is transitory, namaste

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Willa Rogers posted:

if arbitrary generations were real, I'd agree with you.

boomer is a state of mind, does that untangle this very complicated subject for you? its a state of mind that allows you to own multiple homes, multiple vehicles, and still complain about ungrateful lazy millenials and zoomers. like every single one of my multiple boomer bosses has done, multiple times.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Vox Nihili posted:

The definitional stuff has been a media toy for decades. When you have nothing of substance to say you write a bunch of hazy, sweeping generalizations about tens of millions of people who in reality exist under wildly different circumstances from one another. Gen X are slackers! Millennials are slackers! Zoomers are slackers! It's the laziest poo poo in the world and other than the baby boom, which was at least an actual demographic event, it's all almost wholly arbitrary.

cool now do every real-life boomer actually believing and saying these things, in real life. its not just the media my friend, these people are real, and they actually believe these things.

how do i know this? they tell it to me, with their mouth-parts.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

RadiRoot posted:

gently caress boomers. just deal with it willa you fuckin crank.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

RadiRoot posted:

gently caress boomers.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah we're gonna have to take their poo poo, probably do something about their heirs too.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh you want somewhere to actually post and talk about the economy? Sorry you are in the wrong forum.

If webcams for christ quit posting the thread would be just shrike82 posts and the yospos rejects screaming at them.

shut the gently caress up already gd

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Consolidated Ed posted:

cool now do every real-life boomer actually believing and saying these things, in real life. its not just the media my friend, these people are real, and they actually believe these things.

how do i know this? they tell it to me, with their mouth-parts.

well yeah, people digest and parrot all sorts of stupid bullshit from the media

especially the olds

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sokani posted:

congrats on your upcoming deposit bailout!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Right on queue, just as we get into summer and they switch fuel.

Always some bullshit excuse why gas has to go up.