Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Make waifus, not war.

Alas, A better motto for a better world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I think Perun's analysis that Ukranian forces in Bakhmut have largely been 2nd line units and not NATO equipped divisions is largely on point. There just hasn't been enough of a pipeline of weapons into Ukranian hands, and while they've undoubtedly used HIMARS/CAESAR/(insert western artillery system here) in the defense of Bakhmut, these systems are comparatively under less risk of being destroyed while the air environment remains contested.

If the Ukranian counter offensive materializes, it will be localized and aimed at the continued attrition of the Russian armed forces. It, barring some unbelievable collapse, probably won't take much ground and will probably be focused in Southern Ukraine aimed at some logistical key point, like rail lines or cross roads so that future Russian logistics will be that much more complicated. Ultimately, I feel that the strategy right now is to inflict some (in the grand scale of things) minor defeat on the Russians to keep morale high, and to inflict higher casualties than sustained while keeping as much valuable NATO weapon systems intact as possible.

For all of the heady drama of the first year of the war, this conflict has become attritional over positional in nature, and I feel that in a conflict of that naturr, the game plan is to inflict as much damage as possible on Russian formations while maintaining the ability of the Ukranian state to fight the war. That is, play not to lose as long as you can.

For the Russians, fighting a brutal attritional battle over Bakhmut was ineffectual. I wonder how many men Putin can sacrifice in this war in Ukraine before his own power is seriously challenged from within.500k? A million? The manpower of the outer Russian provinces is not unlimited, and eventually actual Russians from Moscow,Petrograd, and St.Petersburg are going to be conscripted to fight in large numbers.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

A Festivus Miracle posted:

For the Russians, fighting a brutal attritional battle over Bakhmut was ineffectual. I wonder how many men Putin can sacrifice in this war in Ukraine before his own power is seriously challenged from within.500k? A million? The manpower of the outer Russian provinces is not unlimited, and eventually actual Russians from Moscow,Petrograd, and St.Petersburg are going to be conscripted to fight in large numbers.

There is a 20 million mobilization reserve and with about 100k kia+wia yearly turnover it can go on until Putin and his inner circle wither into cryptkeepers.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I object to the term "real russians." I get what you meant but it's not the best wording

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

There is a 20 million mobilization reserve and with about 100k kia+wia yearly turnover it can go on until Putin and his inner circle wither into cryptkeepers.

The "20 million reserve" Shoigu was quoted as having is largely fictional, given that there are literally only 20 million men aged 18-45 in Russia. I guess they could move on to mobilizing women but Russia's history in that regard has been... let's just say "not good".

The RuAF hasn't been able to equip the people they mobilized last wave, much less any kind of training. Any further mobilization will result in less combat effective troops and more cannon fodder for Wagner-style suicide assaults. And Russian society does not have an endless tolerance for throwing away young men.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

fatherboxx posted:

Oh, I'm not thinking that Russia will literally run out of men to shove into the path of a speeding artillery round, I'm thinking about at what point causalities, economic hardship, inflationary pressures (for buying hardware), and battlefield losses will converge to create the conditions wherein one of Putin's chiefs can overtake the old boss. Russia is trying to pay for a major war (stupendously expensive) while also facing a lovely monospony situation with it's chief export wherein India and China can demand lower prices because they have the whole planet to buy from. At some point, something has got to give and the idea that the Western powers will stop shovelling money into the furnance before the Russians is something that exists only in the most tankie of dreams.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fartknocker posted:

“Ukrainian Hentai AK” is a hell of a username.

Waifu Raifu

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Head Canon

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Kawaiishnikov.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Dakkamakura

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't let them put hentai stickers on their rifle because it's obscene!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-welcomes-president-zelenskyy-to-the-uk-ahead-of-anticipated-ukrainian-military-surge

I feel like this is the first mention we've seen of anyone actively working to bring F16's to the Ukrainian air force, unless I missed some previous news on the subject.

Really surprised by that, given this analysis posted upthread!

https://geopolitics-decanted.simplecast.com/episodes/how-can-ukraine-survive-the-exhaustion-of-its-air-defense-stocks

The tl;dl of why not to use the F-16 put forward in that podcast is
  • It does not cope well at all with runways that might have dirt and snow and crap on, it's likely to ingest that on takeoff and gently caress up the engine.
  • It doesn't cope well with lovely runways. The gear is pretty delicate compared to something built for crap runways or for carrier landings.
  • It's not particularly great to land on short runways either.
  • You can only prepare a few F-16 capable runways, which narrows down the targets for Russian cruise missile strikes.
  • Its optimal operating altitude from a fuel efficiency point of view is up above 20k ft. That's out of the question in Ukraine.
  • Similarly, its only option for radar guided air-to-air is the AIM-120, which is also designed to be used from high up in the sky, and has drastically less range when it has to fight its way up from the denser air at lower altitude to hit higher flying Russian aircraft.
  • To have any sort of edge, then, they'd have to be the absolute latest model AIM-120s. There's then a risk that, if any fail to detonate, the Russians could capture and reverse engineer them, and then give the analysis to their allies. And then the backbone of the USA's own air-to-air is compromised.

The podcast then went on to suggest the Swedish Gripen, which is designed to operate from short, lovely runways, fly at low altitude, and can use the Meteor air-to-air missile that is perfectly happy at/from low altitude. And apparently easier to learn to fly than the Viper.

As much as I love the F-16, I found the above very convincing (not that I'm an irl plane-flier, military or otherwise). I'd be very interested to know why they decided to go with the F-16 after all!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The runway angle, IDK, I'm not an engineer, but I'm skeptical how much of a problem that would really be. Historically it's very difficult to take out a runway for any length of time using cruise missiles, it's pretty quick to patch things up at least to the level of supporting fighter aircraft. We're not talking about landing massive, heavy transports or anything. Yeah, the F-16 isn't designed for operating off dirt strips or whatever, but like, any road repair crew should be able to suffice.

Fuel efficiency, it really depends how they're trying to use their jets. If it's mainly point defense or shorter range applications then it's not that big a deal. If they're wanting to conduct more offensive, long-range strikes then maybe, but I don't believe the Gripen is any champion of long endurance either.

I most strongly disagree with the idea that it's AIM-120D or bust. The 120C is still an extremely effective missile. Yeah, like any missile it will do better if you shoot it from higher/faster, but if you're down skimming the treetops you're probably doing it so you can get in closer to your target anyway. Again, it really depends on what they're trying to do.

That's not to say the Gripen wouldn't be a very good option for them as well, it does seem well suited for the kind of fight that Ukraine is in. But ultimately I trust that Ukraine has the best overall picture of what support would help them the most, so if they're asking for F-16's there's probably some good reason.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Are there a shitload of Gripens sitting around available to send to Ukraine?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Hyperlynx posted:

As much as I love the F-16, I found the above very convincing (not that I'm an irl plane-flier, military or otherwise). I'd be very interested to know why they decided to go with the F-16 after all!

Assuming that analysis is correct, it might be something as simple as the volume of available planes. 4500 F-16's have been produced over the years, while under 200 Saab Gripens have been made.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Kawaiishnikov.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Are there a shitload of Gripens sitting around available to send to Ukraine?

Depends on your definition of a shitload because, according to Wikipedia, only 271 have been produced in total.

Edit: I'm also remembering an article from a couple months back that Saab couldn't find buyers for the Gripen. The TL;DR being the F-35 has better performance, and alternatively South Korea makes an equivalent that's cheaper.

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 16, 2023

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

kalel posted:

I object to the term "real russians." I get what you meant but it's not the best wording

lmfao

Perhaps you would prefer the imperialist Greater Russian https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Russia. In fact, it’s gained quite a bit of popularity in state media recently (for whatever reason)

Historically ethnic Russians don’t share your concerns over inclusivity for the Ingush or Buryat or Turkmen or Tuvans or Bashkir or Chuvash or Avars etc etc

Victis fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 16, 2023

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Hyperlynx posted:

Really surprised by that, given this analysis posted upthread!

https://geopolitics-decanted.simplecast.com/episodes/how-can-ukraine-survive-the-exhaustion-of-its-air-defense-stocks

[*] Its optimal operating altitude from a fuel efficiency point of view is up above 20k ft. That's out of the question in Ukraine.

The F-16 is one of the platforms with a robust SEAD mission profile. If the UAF is ever going to roll back the Russians AD capability it would likely be with lots of HARMs fired by F-16s

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The runway angle, IDK, I'm not an engineer, but I'm skeptical how much of a problem that would really be. Historically it's very difficult to take out a runway for any length of time using cruise missiles, it's pretty quick to patch things up at least to the level of supporting fighter aircraft. We're not talking about landing massive, heavy transports or anything. Yeah, the F-16 isn't designed for operating off dirt strips or whatever, but like, any road repair crew should be able to suffice.

For sure. But you can cruise-missile the hangars at or near the nice F-16-worthy runway knowing that they're likely to be the ones they're in.

But, at any rate, I didn't mean that I think they're making a mistake and they shouldn't be going for the F-16 (I'm not remotely able to make that analysis!). It's just that the arguments I heard against it sounded very convincing, and I'm interested to hear explanations for why they would go for it.

PurpleXVI posted:

Assuming that analysis is correct, it might be something as simple as the volume of available planes. 4500 F-16's have been produced over the years, while under 200 Saab Gripens have been made.

Makes sense to me. If the Viper is suboptimal but you can actually get it, maybe it's literally better than nothing?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I have only DCS experience to go by, but I'm inclined to believe that the F-16 can handle only the smoothest of runways. It lands very, very, very delicately at a very specific angle.

Now, Super Hornets. Those I could see slamming into a damaged roadway at 400mph.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1658251047654096896

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

A Festivus Miracle posted:

At some point, something has got to give and the idea that the Western powers will stop shovelling money into the furnance before the Russians is something that exists only in the most tankie of dreams.

As much as some chuds might make the right mouth noises about it, there is no chance in hell we stop funding the defense of Ukraine. This is literally the perfect storm where all of our B and A- list toys get exhaustive (modern peer) battlefield testing, the MIC rakes in enough to make Slaanesh blush, and we get to pay our way into permanently and irrevocably crippling (what we thought was) a near-peer rival. Oh and we have absolute unquestionable moral authority and high ground while we do this, because we're helping an underdog defend against literal genocide.

Unless you're a broke-brained tankie, the only things to quibble about are the ethics of the MIC and post-conflict arms proliferation, which I can't give enough of a gently caress about to even minutely change my opinion on funneling boom booms to the blue and yellow boys.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Unless you're a broke-brained tankie, the only things to quibble about are the ethics of the MIC and post-conflict arms proliferation, which I can't give enough of a gently caress about to even minutely change my opinion on funneling boom booms to the blue and yellow boys.

It is going to be interesting to see how we, and the rest of the world, downscales procurement after this. We probably won't because "the big one" could happen any day now and by golly, we have to be stocked up enough to not run out of our fun toys during that.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

As much as some chuds might make the right mouth noises about it, there is no chance in hell we stop funding the defense of Ukraine.
I don't think that a second round of Trump regime would be nearly so bound by convention as the first. There were a variety of countervailing forces from old-guard Republicans in his first term, all of whom are effectively purged at this point. Trump says we shouldn't defend Ukraine and we should take him literally.

It's going to be fascinating to see all the usual suspects on Twitter regurgitating their "I'm no fan of Putin, but Zelensky is a Nazi!" schtick in the form of "I'm no fan of Trump, but Biden is a Nazi!"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Something like 80% of Ukrainian airspace is safe to operate in at any altitude. Harms and Aim-120Cs can bridge the remainder of that gap, or they can bait Russian AD sites to waste missiles. Its not hard to know where the launchers are though modern sources.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

M_Gargantua posted:

Something like 80% of Ukrainian airspace is safe to operate in at any altitude. Harms and Aim-120Cs can bridge the remainder of that gap, or they can bait Russian AD sites to waste missiles. Its not hard to know where the launchers are though modern sources.

And AIM-120Cs outrange anything the Russians have. F-16s could go high and win if they stay out of range of the good SAMs.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The F-16 stands little chance against Russia's mighty 5th generation fighter, the Sukhoi Su-57, with its clever emphasis on maneuverability over Western marketing buzzwords like "stealth" and "beyond visual range combat" :smug:

Yes, no one stands a chance against the Su-57. All... *checks notes* 11 of them?! Shoigu have you been embezzling vital military R&D funds again!?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

The F-16 stands little chance against Russia's mighty 5th generation fighter, the Sukhoi Su-57, with its clever emphasis on maneuverability over Western marketing buzzwords like "stealth" and "beyond visual range combat" :smug:

Yes, no one stands a chance against the Su-57. All... *checks notes* 11 of them?! Shoigu have you been embezzling vital military R&D funds again!?

I think only 3 of them are production models the rest are testing prototypes, right?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Stravag posted:

I think only 3 of them are production models the rest are testing prototypes, right?
Wiki claims 21 built total (10 test and 11 serial) by Dec. 2022, though a few crashes have eaten heavily into that. Weirdly, they're not having takers in the export market :shrug:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Last I heard, the UA airforce was having to operate from very low, though that info could well be out of date. Have things changed? Does Russia no longer have SA-10s and the like in range of the battlefield?

Also, the thought has just occurred: what's the UA airforce currently got in terms of strike aircraft? Because the F-16 can still do strikes while down in the dirt...

e: but, baiting the Russian airforce into fighting away from SAMs and then pwning them would make sense to me. If you could get them to commit.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 16, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

Please, an ancient f-14 wasted two

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
I think they got the patriot (at least part of it) tonight bois 😔

No SAM in the world can win against a total saturation attack. Hopefully Russia wasted an enormous amount of their few remaining missiles on this attack

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Scrungus posted:

No SAM in the world can win against a total saturation attack. Hopefully Russia wasted an enormous amount of their few remaining missiles on this attack

I would like to know more.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Scrungus posted:

Actually all 18 missiles were shot down and so were the 9 UAVs

HonorableTB posted:

Edit: Here's the readout of the air forces Ukraine shot down over Kyiv. They really are trying to swarm the air defense batteries with this kind of attack

All 18 missiles were shot down by air defense, and the drones have never been an issue for SAM batteries: 6 Kinzhals, 9 Kalibrs, 3 S-400s, 6 Shaheds, and 3 SuperCums (Orlans but SuperCums is hilarious to me as I am a child)

Eventually, something will get through and smoke part of the air defense network especially with how they are deliberately targeting the Patriot system specifically to overwhelm it. But it wasn't tonight.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

HonorableTB posted:

Actually all 18 missiles were shot down and so were the 9 UAVs

Eventually, something will get through and smoke part of the air defense network especially with how they are deliberately targeting the Patriot system specifically to overwhelm it. But it wasn't tonight.

If this is true, that’s amazing.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Scrungus posted:

If this is true, that’s amazing.

Here's some more information:

If you follow any of the telegram channels, especially the voenkors, you can tell when something went badly for them because you can see Rybar and the other propagandists talking about the massive density attacks, but they are absolutely butt-clenchingly silent while all of the Ukrainian channels light up with memes laughing about how good their air defense is

You can see it here - this is an example of the voenkor side getting geared up to crow about the strikes as soon as they get word from the "big" voenkors (think, Rybar/WarGonzo/etc) to post about it on their smaller channels. That cycle gets interrupted and just leaves with cliffhanger posts like this where they just never follow up and everyone memory holes the whole thing to avoid admitting the attacks were a failure:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 16, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm guessing that even if Ukraine fielded the F-16 they wouldn't be able to put together one of those giant US-style strike packages, right?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

HonorableTB posted:

Here's some more information:

If you follow any of the telegram channels, especially the voenkors, you can tell when something went badly for them because you can see Rybar and the other propagandists talking about the massive density attacks, but they are absolutely butt-clenchingly silent while all of the Ukrainian channels light up with memes laughing about how good their air defense is

You can see it here - this is an example of the voenkor side getting geared up to crow about the strikes as soon as they get word from the "big" voenkors (think, Rybar/WarGonzo/etc) to post about it on their smaller channels. That cycle gets interrupted and just leaves with cliffhanger posts like this where they just never follow up and everyone memory holes the whole thing to avoid admitting the attacks were a failure:

Air Defense keeping an eye out for SuperCum. Makes sense, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

I'm guessing that even if Ukraine fielded the F-16 they wouldn't be able to put together one of those giant US-style strike packages, right?

Not magically at first, no

But western ordinance means SEAD and possible progress towards actual air superiority

Which means some strike capability and the potential for CAS beyond lobbing dumb-fires