Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nah, ray tracing owns and people really need to get better hardware already, it is a nearly negligible inconvenience to me that my current computer is not considered the absolute bottom tier of machine that should be on every plate in every home in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

it only took them a decade to fix DS2's lighting, i call that a victory

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://mynintendonews.com/2023/05/15/rumour-disney-and-square-enix-working-on-smash-bros-inspired-game-called-disney-domination/

Hey who wants to see the fakest-rear end leak ever?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In the long run RT will lead to games that both look better and are generally a bit easier to make. The transition period is of course going to suck

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

extremely hype for Thanos vs. Peter Griffin

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Khanstant posted:

Nah, ray tracing owns and people really need to get better hardware already, it is a nearly negligible inconvenience to me that my current computer is not considered the absolute bottom tier of machine that should be on every plate in every home in the USA.

I have a 4080, I was talking about specifically the RTGI shader for reshade.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Though being colorblind probably doesn't help not seeing the difference lmao.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a question for our North American Totk players… does the game let you switch to Celsius?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Any kind of screen space raytracing is going to be severely limited in terms of what it can offer. I guess it probably uses the depth buffer to approximate the scene geometry and then bounce light around given the visible pixels which can probably have some nice results, but it wouldn't be able to come anywhere near what in-engine raytracing can do (and yeah the main difference is going to be colours transferred from one place on the screen to another, being colourblind would definitely not help seeing that in action).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

I have a question for our North American Totk players… does the game let you switch to Celsius?

It improves immersion when the game uses crazy fantasy temperatures

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

real weather only goes from 0 to 100. anything above that is limit break.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

real weather only goes from 0 to 100. anything above that is limit break.

Mysterious Old Woodcutter: Watch out Link, you're not adequately trained to fight that S-Tier Cold Front!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Volte posted:

Any kind of screen space raytracing is going to be severely limited in terms of what it can offer. I guess it probably uses the depth buffer to approximate the scene geometry and then bounce light around given the visible pixels which can probably have some nice results, but it wouldn't be able to come anywhere near what in-engine raytracing can do (and yeah the main difference is going to be colours transferred from one place on the screen to another, being colourblind would definitely not help seeing that in action).

Basically every example I’ve seen of it kills contrast. Shadows are too dark, highlights are too bright.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Mysterious Old Woodcutter: Watch out Link, you're not adequately trained to fight that S-Tier Cold Front!

Link! Listen! The power level of that heat dome is off the scale, you'll crash the game!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Volte posted:

if its part of a deferred rendering pipeline and it has access to the g-buffer then you can get some ok results with SSGI since you have some real geometry info to work with

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How pissed am I going to be in twenty minutes when Anno 1800 downloads and I realize I;m going to have to install Ubisoft Store

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

very. but anno 1800 is the one ubisoft game that is worth it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remembering that I made a bethesda net account for redfall lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

At least it wasn't for doom

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gaius Marius posted:

How pissed am I going to be in twenty minutes when Anno 1800 downloads and I realize I;m going to have to install Ubisoft Store

Ain't that the guy that made Evangelion

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I didn't have to make one for doom 2016 and I played Doom Eternal on playstation.

I wonder if you had to make a bethesdanet account if you played redfall on xbox

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I didn't have to make one for doom 2016 and I played Doom Eternal on playstation.

I wonder if you had to make a bethesdanet account if you played redfall on xbox

Not even nuevo doom. Bethesda for a minute was trying to make everyone make an account to play the og.

Waffleman_ posted:

Ain't that the guy that made Evangelion

Gunbuster actually

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm mad that I"m at work and not playing Zelda

Feeling this right now.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

My copy arrived right in the morning as I started work today. I’m terribly stoked.

Dumbass work complaint: im the biscuit guy. I make the biscuits. I hate them all though. I prefer a really soft chewy cookie, but the boss wants them firm and crisp. it pains me to do all this work of weighing up and hand rolling them and making them and then I gotta bake them til they have the texture of sand. Crispy cookies are fuckin rank

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Baking to someone else's spec sucks. I miss having fiat, but at some point you just give up arguing with people less knowledgeable than you because at the end of the day the customers probably don't consciously care as much as they should any ways.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

It just makes them taste way worse imo. Just tastes like nondescript ‘cooked biscuit’.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

But also some people work in coal mines so oh well lol

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MechaSeinfeld posted:

But also some people work in coal mines so oh well lol

What is your avatar from?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

VostokProgram posted:

In the long run RT will lead to games that both look better and are generally a bit easier to make. The transition period is of course going to suck

Metroid Prime ReRemaster on Switch 2 is gonna own with RT

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

mutata posted:

What is your avatar from?

I’m sorry I can’t remember the website or the artist who did it. it came up as ‘suggested’ when I was looking at pictures of metal sonic in Sonic R when I was bored at work one day.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I’m sorry I can’t remember the website or the artist who did it. it came up as ‘suggested’ when I was looking at pictures of metal sonic in Sonic R when I was bored at work one day.

Found it maybe! https://twitter.com/tromak_/status/753522320082407424

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Oh!! I remember seeing it on some rando blog, not Twitter. But that’s way better. I would pay that person 300 dollars to make a low poly Chao Walker from sa2:battle tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tczLt0zWU4 that person did a little animation with it too i think

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, I just got to the main twist of the Nirvana Initiative. Wow.

I mean I think they technically pulled it off, but it seems to rely on some pretty implausible contrivances to work (keeping spoilers fairly vague just in case)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Oh my god, I just got to the main twist of the Nirvana Initiative. Wow.

I mean I think they technically pulled it off, but it seems to rely on some pretty implausible contrivances to work (keeping spoilers fairly vague just in case)

if nothing else, I applaud the sheer audacity of the twist, and am very curious to see how it plays out on replays when you can just immediately start the Mizuki route. There’s some stuff that makes it kinda obvious something’s up in retrospect, like Boss flipping her poo poo at Ryuki which seems like an overreaction to what previously “happened” but then you realize that was the point in the timeline when he went crazy and started firing his gun in public. I just thought the game had been worse written though!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This actually looks pretty legit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

if nothing else, I applaud the sheer audacity of the twist, and am very curious to see how it plays out on replays when you can just immediately start the Mizuki route.

Yeah, I didn’t really mean it as a big complaint. And it was such a cool moment when everything started falling into place in my head even before being fully revealed.

quote:

I just thought the game had been worse written though!

I felt this way too, and not just about the plot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked how just before the reveal they kinda dropped some big 'wait this doesn't make sense suddenly' hints.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

This actually looks pretty legit.

Thinking about how many old games would benefit from just "better lighting", and we're probably a approaching a time where some sort of AI algorithm can inject/hook that tech in.

This popped up on my feed, and it was what I was thinking about while rewatching it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtglAQCxUIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I Didn't Expect This!!
I've bought a year of nintendo online because I felt like playing the n64 zeldas, having never actually beaten either and also having not played OoT in twenty years

I'm on my way to kakariko post-Zelda encounter, and, a few things:
  • lol Zelda: "that man isn't from hyrule... he's from a foreign desert nation... he's gotta be evil"
  • lots of unnecessary tutorialization, navigating a 3d world and having an Action Button isn't THAT complicated
  • the loving owl
  • game controls pretty well actually, this was my biggest worry but after like five minutes I was pretty comfortable
  • first dungeon is shorter than most botw shrines !!!
  • looking forward to playing more, today, at work :)