Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The things that most improved my sound, in order:
- Good speakers
- Correctly positioning and calibrating subwoofers
- Room correction (I use Anthem)
- Room treatment
- Getting subwoofers in the first place

I have a pretty weirdly shaped room though so if yours is more ideal to begin with the corrections and calibrations may not matter as much. But after putting up some room treatment I was surprised to actually hear a difference (like in an eye doctor, 'better one or two'? just a bit sharper and clearer). When I got the room correction dialed in, that was like holy poo poo, this legit sounds amazing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

And that's fair regarding cheap audio man. Another criticism I would level is that he makes a video like every single day, definitely a quantity over quality kinda guy. There's just not a ton of resources for making systems on that level, or at least, I had trouble finding them. A lot of audiophiles I talked to said things like the Aiyama A07 pro were poo poo and would sound like a dying turkey, but I feel like it's a decent kit for the price, so idk. Yeah, it's just a confusing space. What equipment do you like the most? Do you have a treated room and such?

I don't believe he does this because he particularly wants to, I'm sure he'd love to be able to pour more time into higher quality, better researched videos. But the YouTube algorithm has seemed to favour the content mill over the content craftsman, so to speak, lately and churning out tons of videos that gets more engagement gets you more views than spending a few weeks between videos making high quality hour long vidjeyos.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

He also does reviews of Invicta watches. I don't hate the guy but he's definitely more of a professional youtuber than an audio enthusiast, IMO. Plus he does the open-mouth-bearded-white-guy-Youtube-thumbnail face and I can not abide anyone who does that.

Taima posted:

Just curious, do you find yourself gravitating to 2 channel more for that reason? How much money would you generally feel like you would need to spend for a more niche 2 channel setup to match a mass produced receiver with Dirac etc? I'm very sympathetic to the idea that the tinkering is the point for many people, and frankly I probably spoke too harshly.
You asked many things but the original reason I went stereo was I wanted to get 4 ohm speakers and couldn't find a receiver under a grand I could count on to do that for 3 channels. I had a decent Sony ES at the time but it got very hot when I pushed them and I needed 4k switching. Once I did it though and not having to worry about how I run rears or all that plus extra budget for mains I didn't find myself missing the center channel. My current setup is pretty modest, I got the speakers, stands and receiver all refurb from AC4L and lucked out in that I really like the combo [Integra DTM-7 and Canton 502.2] I splurged a bit on the sub and found a B stock white Rythmik L12 when my old Elemental Designs crapped out and nobody made plate amps that fit and that was it.

I'm lucky in that my living room is pretty good acoustically, at least for treble, and that my main listening position only needs to be one couch wide. That said bass response is not awesome and I fully intend that my next receiver/integrated will have a good room correction system. Given the market it'll probably be an AVR running 2 channel because stereo gear with Dirac starts around 2 grand.

I'm actually not someone who swaps my gear out a lot because I try to keep any electronics for at least 3 years to cut down on waste/hoarding. I'm only on my 4th set of speakers in 28 years. That said those people are useful for getting in person impressions of expensive stuff I'm curious about. My most significant purchase since COVID was a Roon lifetime subscription. I've definitely spent much more on music/movies than I have on my system, even factoring that in. That said I shop and read reviews of high end stuff a ton because I'm always on the lookout for The One Endgame Thing plus even though I'm cheap part of me thinks I'll someday break down and have a "treat yo' self" moment over a NAD M33 and Revel/Dynaudio towers or something equally silly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

qirex posted:

That said cheap audio man is kind of lame, he thinks he can tell the difference between DAC chips and once companies started sending him review samples of expensive gear he started recommending $1000+ stuff real easily.

He thought he could hear a difference between power cables :laugh:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He thought he could hear a difference between power cables :laugh:

Just wait until he discovers the beauty of battery-powered amplifiers :haw:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wibla posted:

Just wait until he discovers the beauty of battery-powered amplifiers :haw:

I can hear the chemical reactions happening and it's negatively impacting the soundstage.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I just got a Marantz PM7000N. Holy gently caress this thing is good

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any real alternatives to the Onkyo TX-NR7100 and Denon AVR-X1700H emerge recently? Anything changed in the cards as far as those being relatively nice "prosumer" units with remote/network/multizone/etc and a lot of high-quality HDMI 2.1 switching?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bought the LG S80QY soundbar. This thing loving rips. Weirdly it seems the LG TV speakers+soundbar thing isn’t rolled out to 2022 TVs yet (but is rolled out to the soundbars). Scared the poo poo out of my cats when I did the room calibration thing.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This seems self explanatory but I wanted to double check--

If I want to just use 2-channel for movies with some floorstanders, can I buy whatever receiver on Facebook Marketplace or whatever that has Arc support, set everything to PCM, pass everything through my TV, and just be done with it (barring issues like the TV adding lag from the passthrough or whatever else might crop up)? Or is there any benefit to worrying about eArc and lossless formats?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For stereo there’s no advantage to eARC. I’d say the main risk in an older receiver is quirky CEC behavior.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RichterIX posted:

This seems self explanatory but I wanted to double check--

If I want to just use 2-channel for movies with some floorstanders, can I buy whatever receiver on Facebook Marketplace or whatever that has Arc support, set everything to PCM, pass everything through my TV, and just be done with it (barring issues like the TV adding lag from the passthrough or whatever else might crop up)? Or is there any benefit to worrying about eArc and lossless formats?

you could even set everything to PCM and run it through optical if your TV has an optical out

Then get one of these:

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...er-black/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...r-silver/1.html

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Costco is having a sale on:
Denon AVR S760H 7.2ch 8K AV Receiver
$399.99 After $100 OFF

Good until 5/22/23

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ok Comboomer posted:

you could even set everything to PCM and run it through optical if your TV has an optical out

Then get one of these:

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...er-black/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...r-silver/1.html

Those look really nice!

Edit: I'm so cheap though that knowing that optical is fine just makes me think I could find something for like $40 on craigslist though

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 15, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Those look really nice!

Edit: I'm so cheap though that knowing that optical is fine just makes me think I could find something for like $40 on craigslist though

sure. you could optical to a $100 Schiit Modi or similar and then run it to anything with RCA jacks. Or spend $100 more on its balanced sibling and use a pair of XLR monitor speakers like JBL 305/6/8 or whatever. The world is your oyster

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

sure. you could optical to a $100 Schiit Modi or similar and then run it to anything with RCA jacks. Or spend $100 more on its balanced sibling and use a pair of XLR monitor speakers like JBL 305/6/8 or whatever. The world is your oyster

You could do that, but I'd rather get something that adds functionality than overpay for a DAC.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

Or just go on craigslist and find someone dumping an old receiver because it doesn't have the latest HDMI standards.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

People underestimate how annoying it is to have to juggle remotes to change volume.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

People underestimate how annoying it is to have to juggle remotes to change volume.

Some TVs let you adjust the volume of the SPDIF output with the remote. A lot of TVs also have a headphone jack, which is honestly probably fine too. That's what I do in my bedroom.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

$399.99 After $100 OFF

Good until 5/22/23

Just took one of these back.

It wasn't a terrible unit, but there were some little things about it that pissed me off.

- Would't convert old AV sources to HDMI. Wasn't expecting upscaling, just wanted it to route them through the HDMI out.

- Displayed my DNS server as some goofy 0.0.0.X address or some poo poo. My home router is an OpenBSD machine and every other device in my house plays nice with it. It was still able to hit the Internet, but that was a real :wtc: moment when I was setting it up.

- The analog audio inputs require you to sacrifice an HDMI source rather than being their own selectable source.

I finally accepted that what I was really looking for was a an HDMI switch and a 2-channel stereo amp. The latter should be here tomorrow :)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

That's why I have a Logitech harmony remote :science:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mederlock posted:

That's why I have a Logitech harmony remote :science:

I feel like it might be time to upgrade to one of these. How do you like yours?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They don’t make new ones anymore and I don’t know how easy they are to get a hold of, but I quite like mine

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Dogen posted:

They don’t make new ones anymore and I don’t know how easy they are to get a hold of, but I quite like mine

oh yeah, now I remember. This was the magic thing that they killed off a couple of years ago that everyone was sad about. :smith:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

olives black posted:

oh yeah, now I remember. This was the magic thing that they killed off a couple of years ago that everyone was sad about. :smith:

The software is a little janky but I love mine. Check Ebay and your local online classifieds, I've gotten 2 so far from there, two of the Harmony One's, and I had a model 650 from years ago.i don't use it for my TV and controls because the TV remote seems to be more responsive input lag wise, but for the blu ray player, carousel CD player, and the other random stuff I've gotten from thrift shops it works great

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Apple TV remote can learn volume control, and if you have CEC it'll turn everything on and off

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've also heard mostly decent things about the Sofabaton remotes, but I can't vouch for them myself.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I've also heard mostly decent things about the Sofabaton remotes, but I can't vouch for them myself.
I set one up for my aunt and uncle. They do what they claim to, and there isn't an equivalent product, but the setup is ridiculously cumbersome and difficult and the remotes themselves are cheap and plasticky.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had to buy a sideclick remote to control the volume on my Roku. It attaches to the side of a regular Roku remote and pairs with my receiver so I don’t need to use my receiver remote.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I set one up for my aunt and uncle. They do what they claim to, and there isn't an equivalent product, but the setup is ridiculously cumbersome and difficult and the remotes themselves are cheap and plasticky.

Sometimes I miss when my dad would buy a universal remote from Radio Shack and have to spend an hour carefully aiming all the remotes we owned at it to try to program the IR signals.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have the Sofabaton U1, it's mediocre. I don't love the clicky buttons but they're tolerable, it's the software that is complete hot garbage.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Fozzy The Bear posted:

$399.99 After $100 OFF

Good until 5/22/23

I have one of these and it's pretty good for the price but I always had problems getting a consistent full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 signal.

It's for sure the unit because my new 2.1 receiver handles it perfectly. But if that's not a concern, from my limited research that seemed to be the best value play in the market for the feature set.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
New Yamaha A-S301 and my Micca RB42s finally came in. Replaced the Bose soundbar.

Livestreamer voices deffo have more mid/low end now which will take some getting used to, but music's a lot gnarlier. Broke it in with Stag Party by Cherubs :goatdrugs:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Not tryin' to tell you your business or nothin' but any reason you didn't just get powered studio monitors and skip the relatively expensive amp?

Just looks like a pretty mismatched system to me, $350 amp with $75/ea passive speakers, no sub, idk man

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Taima posted:

Not tryin' to tell you your business or nothin' but any reason you didn't just get powered studio monitors and skip the relatively expensive amp?

Just looks like a pretty mismatched system to me, $350 amp with $75/ea passive speakers, no sub, idk man

Multiple sources, mainly. Turntable, cassette deck, old A/V consoles, optical from the TV, etc. Got tired of not having one set of speakers for all of them.

The Micca RB42s were the only ones I saw that would fit comfortably on my entertainment center.

No sub because I'm in an apartment atm.

I'm well within the Amazon return window. Have a better solution in mind?

olives black fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 19, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Taima posted:

Well you have the wheels in my head turning now.

Maybe I could go with a couple of powered studio monitors and just get some A/V switches? I have a standalone DAC for the optical sources.

What monitors would you recommend?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

olives black posted:

I'm well within the Amazon return window. Have a better solution in mind?

Can you show us your setup and space? That would give us a better idea of what you’re working with.

But yeah, RB42s are really small speakers, and they’re really great for the money and all, but they get pretty solidly outclassed very quickly by good-value speakers in the $200-500 range. I would use a pair in a bedroom or office but I’d be hard-pressed to recommend them for HT use without at least a small-to-medium sub.

Speakers and 2-channel receivers are “buy once cry once” purchases to my mind, and a smart buy could last you for many years and several moves, cutting down on future purchases and more money spent overall and also arguably generating less waste.

Personally I would spend the extra money on one of the 301’s bigger siblings, as that will give you more room to grow and stretch, but also 60WPC ought to be plenty for most people with good sensitivity speakers. IDK. Somebody who knows the innards of the Yamaha A-S series (there’s a guy on here that deals them, IDK where he’s at but he seems to know a lot about them and the whole Yamaha hifi product stack) could tell you better. One benefit is that the 501/701/801 are available in silver, which is the Correct Finish for hifi equipment as written in the Bible.

For speakers, fitting anything bigger than 4” into the space would give you a big improvement in sound for not much more money or increased volume issues with your neighbors. Good driver sizes to shoot for are 5.25” or 6.5” although there’s plenty more variety out there that could suit you at 8”+ too. We like the KEF Q series here but don’t pay MSRP on them when they frequently go on sale for $299-399 a pair. Another less expensive option that frequently goes on sale/is available from Harman as a factory refurb is the JBL Stage series.

Maybe consider putting speakers on stands…or getting floorstanders instead that take up the same floorspace. Floorstanders will give you thicc sound with more bass extension for a very similar floor profile to bookshelf speakers on stands.

Lastly, I know you say you don’t need a sub and you might be right, but also you should consider getting a sub. Like an inexpensive 8” sub or even DIYing one from such as Parts Express.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

olives black posted:

Well you have the wheels in my head turning now.

Maybe I could go with a couple of powered studio monitors and just get some A/V switches? I have a standalone DAC for the optical sources.

What monitors would you recommend?

JBL LSR 305/306/308 MkII

ADAM Audio whatever the comparable base series is in 5/7/8 inch, or the series above if you got cash

Genelec if you got cash

uhhhhhhhhhh……what else……the pretty Yamahas that every YouTuber has?………..Tannoy?

comedy/king option: these fuckers

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can get a passive line level switch to route different sources to your active monitors, most will also have a bigass gain knob which is lovely to put right below the TV

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Can you show us your setup and space? That would give us a better idea of what you’re working with.

I might be able to take a picture later. It's pretty small, though - I sit 3 feet away from the whole unit. There's also stuff on either side of the entertainment center. The amp sits on a table with the other decks on top of it to the right, and there's a shelving unit on the left. No room for floorstands.

olives black fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Speakers and 2-channel receivers are “buy once cry once” purchases to my mind, and a smart buy could last you for many years and several moves, cutting down on future purchases and more money spent overall and also arguably generating less waste.

Personally I would spend the extra money on one of the 301’s bigger siblings, as that will give you more room to grow and stretch, but also 60WPC ought to be plenty for most people with good sensitivity speakers. IDK. Somebody who knows the innards of the Yamaha A-S series (there’s a guy on here that deals them, IDK where he’s at but he seems to know a lot about them and the whole Yamaha hifi product stack) could tell you better. One benefit is that the 501/701/801 are available in silver, which is the Correct Finish for hifi equipment as written in the Bible.

Upon further consideration, I think I'm going to stick with the RB42s. I fully acknowledge that they're going to need to be replaced with something else if/when I get a bigger room, but for now I really like how they fit into my current space. Bigger speakers and floorstands aren't really an option for me right now.

I think you're right about futureproofing with the amp, though. The A-S801 should still play nice with the RB42s, right? What does "100W + 100W" mean?

Also seeing that I can get the amp "Like New" for about $200 less from Amazon Warehouse.

olives black fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 20, 2023