Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Such a cool country. Love it

"And it's one of them saying it too"...

Small comfort in that express readers have never felt guilty about anything, so this is unlikely to be changing their deeply held racist views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Historically this has not been a big problem for white people

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
From reading replies, seems this isn't the first time they have done this

https://twitter.com/MHM_Info/status/1658122428315320321?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1658337454867337216?t=UheBJx3nFABUqYVwIUZ3QA&s=19

It's a great time to be alive. loving onions going up 94% but because big TVs aren't we don't have out of control inflation

Enjoy that Samsung for dinner

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Looks like someone put the secret HR orders in the public HR orders again.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Looks like someone's mixed up 'interviewer notes' and 'job posting' fields again....

Separate rant:

The other week I moved a bunch of brewing equipment from a festival back to my brewery using Addison Lee.

Checked my card statements yesterday and saw that in addition to the £31 cost, there was another £21 'Addison Lee Extra' charge on the card.

Phoned them up to be told that as I had exceeded the 5 minute unloading time, this was an additional charge. This didn't feel right to me because the unloading felt pretty quick, did a check and emailed AL back to ask if they would like a copy of my CCTV which shows the unloading took 7 minutes, and the driver then got into his van and waited for another 10 before leaving.

Cheeky bastards have refunded as a 'goodwill gesture' and 'educated customer about waiting times' in the credit note.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Red Oktober posted:

Looks like someone's mixed up 'interviewer notes' and 'job posting' fields again....

Separate rant:

The other week I moved a bunch of brewing equipment from a festival back to my brewery using Addison Lee.

Checked my card statements yesterday and saw that in addition to the £31 cost, there was another £21 'Addison Lee Extra' charge on the card.

Phoned them up to be told that as I had exceeded the 5 minute unloading time, this was an additional charge. This didn't feel right to me because the unloading felt pretty quick, did a check and emailed AL back to ask if they would like a copy of my CCTV which shows the unloading took 7 minutes, and the driver then got into his van and waited for another 10 before leaving.

Cheeky bastards have refunded as a 'goodwill gesture' and 'educated customer about waiting times' in the credit note.

7 is more than 5 though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

7 is more than 5 though

The implication is that the Addison Lee guy slacked off so that the unload would take longer than five minutes, then hung around for another ten to make absolutely sure that it had.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

7 is more than 5 though

Addison Lee are utter bastards from everything I've read so this is believable

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jedit posted:

The implication is that the Addison Lee guy slacked off so that the unload would take longer than five minutes, then hung around for another ten to make absolutely sure that it had.

The guy didn't even unload anything, I did it all. And here's the receipt:

quote:

TRANSACTION DATE & TIME
09/05/2023 15:55

Transaction Amount (Loading/Unloading Time Charge 35 mins, Journey Amendment)

£ 21.64

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I used to have to get taxis around on the company dime with paper tickets to sign, and the drivers would without fail add 15 minutes wait time to every one. I signed them ofc because not my money

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Something we seem dangerously ill-equipped to deal with is the fact that British fascism was never going to rely on epic, future-looking rhetoric that rejects rationalism and modernity in favour of a heroic national destiny, because British nationalism leans heavily on 1) the idea that earthy rationalism and pragmatism are a proud part of the national character and 2) a rejection of silly self-seriousness, which is seen as un-British (except when it comes to the Royals).

In other words, I imagine we can expect a great deal more of this line of "of course we're not fascists, the fascists were silly foreign fellows mucking things up for everyone else; what motivates us is honest talk, Good British Common Sense and grown-up sensible thinking" and I don't really believe anyone in the public sphere has the nous to properly challenge that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

grobbo posted:

In other words, I imagine we can expect a great deal more of this line of "of course we're not fascists, the fascists were silly foreign fellows mucking things up for everyone else; what motivates us is honest talk, Good British Common Sense and grown-up sensible thinking" and I don't really believe anyone in the public sphere has the nous to properly challenge that.

Funny you should say that, https://twitter.com/NatConTalk/status/1658222444602179586

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well of course all the other nationalisms failed, they were foreigners.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Soviets and PRC failed because they were Slavs and Sino respectively. To the palace, comrades!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

quote:

Here was a country that had everything, absolutely everything. And now, 20 years later, is what? The world's biggest leper colony. Why? Godlessness. Let me say that again... Godlessness. It wasn't the war they started. It wasn't the plague they created. It was Judgement. No one escapes their past. No one escapes Judgement. You think he's not up there? You think he's not watching over this country? How else can you explain it? He tested us, but we came through. We did what we had to do. Islington. Enfield. I was there, I saw it all. Immigrants, Muslims, homosexuals, terrorists. Disease-ridden degenerates. They had to go. Strength through unity. Unity through faith. I'm a God-fearing Englishman and I'm goddamn proud of it!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some ideas for the other speakers:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Peach tree dish and gazpacho police being within like a month of each other were peak comedy hours.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Please do not post unedited transcript of Rees-Moggs speeches without proper attribution, tia

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Yeah - and as with Braverman's argument, there's this absolutely pettiness to this rhetoric, this obsession with the protection of comfort and the avoidance of shame.

It's not heroic nationalism. There's not really a collective call-to-arms beyond "the voices of dissent need to be made to shut up and go away, by any means necessary".

It's not seriously arguing that Britain has some great future destiny ahead of it, that every citizen is a crusader and champion with a part to play in the coming conflict, or that King Arthur is due to rise again any day now.

The message (and with so many current conservative narratives, such as weirdos ranting about the Dambusters' dog, or the "lock up all the anti-monarchists" talking heads) is consistently that reassurance of "you shouldn't have to feel bad about any of it, past or present. We must ruthlessly and permanently stamp out any attempt to make us feel bad about it".

I know that's not a massively interesting or insightful point. I just think it's both horrifying and intensely British to see how far we're apparently willing to go in the name of this ideology of avoidance.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Was it someone in this thread saying that the key feature of contemporary UK politics is that change can only be for the worse; far better to keep everything the way it is now and angrily resent anyone who tries to wobble the boat. That's what this feels like: going to any lengths to prevent financially secure older homeowners from having to feel even mildly uncomfortable about anything.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Lol this poo poo. I don't feel guilty. When I agree that a statue of some slave trader should be torn down it isn't because of white guilt it's because that person sold human beings to other human beings and that makes him a loving oval office.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Plant based meet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good name for a vegan networking event.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

Lol this poo poo. I don't feel guilty. When I agree that a statue of some slave trader should be torn down it isn't because of white guilt it's because that person sold human beings to other human beings and that makes him a loving oval office.

Yeah, you don't have to feel guilty about things that happened in the past, but that shouldn't prevent you from wanting to improve things in the present.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The issue with that is that if you had guaranteed care when you were old that's removing an incentive to have children.

There's something to be said about someone with familial bonds providing much better care than someone's who's just paid to do so.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, you don't have to feel guilty about things that happened in the past, but that shouldn't prevent you from wanting to improve things in the present.
That's why I like Touré Reed's idea of Forward Together. It's important to learn real history because it explains why people are marginalized in different ways and that it's not just laziness or Secret Jews, and it's important to have anti-discrimination laws because plenty of people are still dicks, but we shouldn't see history as some list of grievances to be settled, that's not progressive, that's Enoch Powell fever dream history, where there has to be 400 years of black ownership of white people because something something whip hands. History informs us about why current material conditions might exist, policy should be based on those current material conditions alone.

Also history allows us to spot obvious doghorns.
https://twitter.com/HCChristopher/status/1658465701005344768

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

that all looks cribbed from an NRA rally or something

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

There's something to be said about someone with familial bonds providing much better care than someone's who's just paid to do so.

Perhaps, but I feel that that says more about society and also presumes quite a lot of favourable outcomes. I have a friend I help out occasionally and I would say I do more for her than two of her three kids do, so I don't think it's a guarantee that having kids means they'll give a poo poo about you.

Plus I don't think it should ultimately boil down to people being personally inclined to care for you, there should be structures that make it easier for people to be looked after as they age. Like, good care homes that you don't have to pay through the nose for and still afford their residents as much independence as they can.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pretty shocking to see the Natural History Museum taking Nazi money

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

kecske posted:

that all looks cribbed from an NRA rally or something

Its run by these people.

https://burke.foundation/

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
They always want people to love the country but they never seem interested in making the country more lovable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They always want strong families, but they want to do that by banning divorce rather than by teaching kids how to have respectful and fulfilling relationships.

And 'faith' but by forcing it into daily life without any of the good works bits.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

big scary monsters posted:

They always want people to love the country but they never seem interested in making the country more lovable.
They are trying to make it more lovable. It's just that there is a group of people in our midst that hate Britain and everything it stands for.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1658499823056703488

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

cat botherer posted:

They are trying to make it more lovable. It's just that there is a group of people in our midst that hate Britain and everything it stands for.

Yeah but the government already said Scotland can't have another referendum so that's really on them too.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

domhal posted:

Its run by these people.

https://burke.foundation/