Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Honestly from a long term standpoint they probably would've been better off if they weren't a good team and had another high draft pick this year. Especially this year, really, with how talented the top 5-6 prospects are. Instead I think they will attempt to replicate Vegas and go all in on trying to be a playoff team now due to their unexpected success.

It's worked out pretty well for Vegas, but Vegas at that point in their franchise also had a better roster than Seattle does now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i really wanted the kraken to make it but i'm ok with anyone remaining winning thank god

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i'm worried about becoming a grumpy old bitch complaining about the ratings or like who's a dirty player or wishing everything would be miserable and lovely to impress everyone instead of just trying to enjoy the playoffs.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

They drafted Wright 4th overall and he didn’t spend a lot of time with the big club this season. He’s young and talented and will be good in the future. They’ve got some free agents with expiring contracts, but talent up and down the lineup. Should be good next year too.

With Wright, what are the kraken going to do with their multiple centers? Trade some? Move one to a different position? Keep all as a ferocious amount of depth?

DOOMocrat posted:

https://twitter.com/hockeystatcards/status/1658301697645744128

The good news for Seattle is the steps to the next level are going to be noticed by their braintrust. They'll be back in the playoffs.

Oh heck yeah I love playoffs and I love charts

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Honestly from a long term standpoint they probably would've been better off if they weren't a good team and had another high draft pick this year. Especially this year, really, with how talented the top 5-6 prospects are. Instead I think they will attempt to replicate Vegas and go all in on trying to be a playoff team now due to their unexpected success.

Oh boy that’s neat. I hope they trade up and get a stud so that they have 3 young excellent players :)

How much does it typically take to trade up into the top 3? It like football where it’s a lot generally but if it’s for a good qb prospect then it’s a TON? I’m assuming the most valuable position in NHL is center or wing?

Starsfan posted:

Because they are still in the golden afterglow of their expansion draft (IE they haven't completely hosed up their salary cap structure by handing out 10 million dollar contracts to Seth Jones and Sergei Bobrovski) Seattle has excellent chances to continue to improve into the future, with over $15 million dollars to play with in the coming off-season and most of their team already locked up.

Vegas leveraged a similar mountain of cap space to bring in reinforcements by trades with cap distressed teams and free agent singings their first few seasons and that has really powered them to being the closest thing the Western Conference has had to a consistent powerhouse the last 5 years. The Kraken have a similar opportunity, but only time will tell if they can capitalize on it.

I don’t have the knowledge to understand how much (relatively) $15m in cap space is, but from your post I gather the context that it’s a good amount of cap. How exciting!!!

I hate the krakens risk averse gm that the other poster mentioned! You gotta pay your good players and bring in reinforcements and o support them!!!

I love hockey and I love to post - thank you all for the effort post responses!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

sleep with the vicious posted:

It's worked out pretty well for Vegas, but Vegas at that point in their franchise also had a better roster than Seattle does now

My understanding is that the expansion rules allowed Vegas to grab like the 5th player off a bunch of teams. But the expansion rules changed and allowed Seattle to grab like the 8th best player off a bunch of teams.

I recognize that’s an oversimplification but is that broad idea roughly correct?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Two top five teams, plus the 8th if Dallas holds on, and last season's best team make the conference finals: this is bad and boring because their stadiums aren't in places that are cold.

No superstars left in the playoffs either! The guys who finished tied for 6th in the league with 109 points don't count.

Do you think wins translate to popularity?

Carolina has been good for years now but nobody on the face of the earth cares if any of them lives or dies. And a bunch of them are married and have families who you think would be upset, but I called and asked and they all said no. Every one of them. Aho’s mom said she tells anyone who asks he’s the one in New York.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My understanding is that the expansion rules allowed Vegas to grab like the 5th player off a bunch of teams. But the expansion rules changed and allowed Seattle to grab like the 8th best player off a bunch of teams.

I recognize that’s an oversimplification but is that broad idea roughly correct?

Nothing changed in the rules. Seattle just started with a much worse GM, and other GMs around the league not wanting to be embarrassed again.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Grats to the Stars fans, what an intense but oddly non-acrimonious series. I'm looking forward to watching all the teams in the conference and cup finals for sure.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"Real" Hockey Fans: "Nooooooo! Hockey is the sport of frozen pond rinks, shinny, and Canadian teams winning!

NHL:haha Southern Teams go brrr...

Seriously, I don't think any pond hockey is going to be played in any of the four Conference Finalists cities this winter

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Aphrodite posted:

Carolina has been good for years now but nobody on the face of the earth cares if any of them lives or dies. And a bunch of them are married and have families who you think would be upset, but I called and asked and they all said no. Every one of them. Aho’s mom said she tells anyone who asks he’s the one in New York.

Your mistake here was not calling Jack Hughes's mom. She would miss Carolina's Aho.

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1653935163527815168

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ornery and Hornery posted:

both teams had the same rules they were operating under in the expansion draft. The major difference (that I think Aphrodie alluded to) is that Vegas took advantage of alot of braindead GMs who were willing to pay Vegas to not take certain players that those teams wanted to protect... except in alot of instances the players that those teams paid Vegas to take actually turned out to be better players than the guys they were paying Vegas not to take.

I think it's off to say that Vegas GM did a much better job than Seattle, both teams were actually judged to have left alot of talent on the table and both teams were heavily criticized for the teams they ended up with.. the fact that both teams ended up being good way sooner than expected is a credit to both management teams. Like Aphrodite said however, alot of GMs / teams were already stung the one time with Vegas in recent memory so when Seattle opened up shop in the draft weekend and started asking around to see if anyone wanted to make bargains, they found that nobody was interested.

I will say what is similar between Seattle and Vegas is that Vegas ended up with a team that had alot of good players but no real great ones.. The closest they got were guys like Shea Theodore, William Karlsson, Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault.. those are fine players but not the people I would personally build a team around. Alex Tuch and Chandler Stephenson have subsequently had breakout seasons recently, albeit Tuch with another team.. The players on Vegas right now that are considered their best players - Mark Stone, Jack Eichel and Alex Pietrangelo - were brought in after the expansion draft through trades where Vegas assumed a ton of salary and in Pietrangelo's case because Vegas was the only good team that was willing to meet his salary demand. That's what Seattle needs to do in my estimation.. figure out a way to bring in the Star players through trades or free agency in the next couple seasons.. they might have something with Beniers but they need decisive action to get them over the hump in my estimation.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Florida trading Smith and Marsechult to Vegas as bribe so Vegas wouldn't take some bad player is one of the greatest trades off time

IIRC, based on expansion draft, Vegas had a good number of skill guys that would score but would be a gongshow defensively while Seattle had a team of all grinders. And Dave "Point Shots" Hakstol

fucker

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

"Real" Hockey Fans: "Nooooooo! Hockey is the sport of frozen pond rinks, shinny, and Canadian teams winning!

Where'd you read this?

Lol so many people are going on weird rants about imagined things, it's really funny.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zat posted:

I wonder if ESPN actually picked the Western Finals this year (ESPN always gets to pick which conference final it wants to air , and TNT gets the other one).

Pretty much any other year East would be the easy choice but this time I wonder. Though they probably had to decide before they knew it's Panthers vs Canes...

Turns out ESPN picked Western Final. Not surprising.

No doubt ESPN is a bit happy that this year it's TNT's turn to air the Cup Finals.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

both teams had the same rules they were operating under in the expansion draft. The major difference (that I think Aphrodie alluded to) is that Vegas took advantage of alot of braindead GMs who were willing to pay Vegas to not take certain players that those teams wanted to protect... except in alot of instances the players that those teams paid Vegas to take actually turned out to be better players than the guys they were paying Vegas not to take.

I think it's off to say that Vegas GM did a much better job than Seattle, both teams were actually judged to have left alot of talent on the table and both teams were heavily criticized for the teams they ended up with.. the fact that both teams ended up being good way sooner than expected is a credit to both management teams. Like Aphrodite said however, alot of GMs / teams were already stung the one time with Vegas in recent memory so when Seattle opened up shop in the draft weekend and started asking around to see if anyone wanted to make bargains, they found that nobody was interested.

I will say what is similar between Seattle and Vegas is that Vegas ended up with a team that had alot of good players but no real great ones.. The closest they got were guys like Shea Theodore, William Karlsson, Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault.. those are fine players but not the people I would personally build a team around. Alex Tuch and Chandler Stephenson have subsequently had breakout seasons recently, albeit Tuch with another team.. The players on Vegas right now that are considered their best players - Mark Stone, Jack Eichel and Alex Pietrangelo - were brought in after the expansion draft through trades where Vegas assumed a ton of salary and in Pietrangelo's case because Vegas was the only good team that was willing to meet his salary demand. That's what Seattle needs to do in my estimation.. figure out a way to bring in the Star players through trades or free agency in the next couple seasons.. they might have something with Beniers but they need decisive action to get them over the hump in my estimation.

Theodore is def now a top pair defenseman. At the time he was obviously younger and to whatever extent unknown, but he’s rated at the same level as Petro, which having two top defensemen is one reason Vegas is good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Never bet against Pete DeBoer in a game 7. He's 7-0 now.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gary Bettman's Southern Hockey Dream Bonanza is go baby!!!! :supaburn:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Where'd you read this?

Lol so many people are going on weird rants about imagined things, it's really funny.

Maybe he read this.
Or this one.
Could have been this one.
This is a candidate.
Maybe here?
Or here?
I don't know, this one is possible too.
Or this.
If I was a gambler I'd put my money on this one.
Or this one maybe.
No, I can't decide. That's why I don't gamble.
Because it could have been this.
Or even this.
Hell, this one too.
I'd lose for sure.
Someone's going to reply with some kind of 'blah blah effort' thing.
But I'm looking at the clock right now and this took 7 minutes lol
These are all just in the first 50 replies. You're welcome to go ahead and move the goalposts now I guess.
I didn't realize I had two more and typed the ending too early.
gently caress the leafs

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Florida trading Smith and Marsechult to Vegas as bribe so Vegas wouldn't take some bad player is one of the greatest trades off time

Yeah a sort of bonus dynamic here is that Florida was in a moment of getting rid of all its analytics-good players for the sake of spiting the former analytics-doing front office people and Vegas was in the right place to pick up on those freebies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah a sort of bonus dynamic here is that Florida was in a moment of getting rid of all its analytics-good players for the sake of spiting the former analytics-doing front office people and Vegas was in the right place to pick up on those freebies.

I think the wild part is other teams followed suit! Not to the same degree, but still. It happened so much we assumed similar stuff would happen with Seattle.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 16, 2023

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Hand Knit posted:

Which was so dumb. The Jagr era Panthers were cool and fun.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Which was so dumb. The Jagr era Panthers were cool and fun.

It's one of these moments that's really instructive for understanding how NHL front offices operate. Like, when push comes to shove they will absolutely prioritize their dumb trite moralism over winning or profits.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

It's one of these moments that's really instructive for understanding how NHL front offices operate. Like, when push comes to shove they will absolutely prioritize their dumb trite moralism over winning or profits.

And yet those computer boys didn't get anywhere and the hockey men are in the Conference Finals. Checkmate nerds.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Dallas and Florida have had teams for 30 years. Carolina for 25.

The time for getting butthurt over "non-traditional hockey markets" is long over.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You just got Aphrodited.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Nothing changed in the rules. Seattle just started with a much worse GM, and other GMs around the league not wanting to be embarrassed again.

Yeah, both teams basically got to pick the 11th best skater/2nd goalie from teams. But a lot of GMs for Vegas were dumb and thought poo poo like "we like our 11th skater. How about we give you a 1st round pick if you take our 14th best guy instead?"

Then when Seattle rolled around teams didn't make as many stupid panic deals and just let Seattle take their guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

deoju posted:

Dallas and Florida have had teams for 30 years. Carolina for 25.

The time for getting butthurt over "non-traditional hockey markets" is long over.

Any team that was created while I've been alive is fake.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thanks for this list of Twitter garbage I'm never going to read!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

Thanks for this list of Twitter garbage I'm never going to read!

Best start believing, Miss Turner.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

Carolina had more fans at their games than every other team in the league except Montreal. Dallas averaged one fan less, a single person, than the Bruins. The idea that these teams aren't popular is outdated.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

People thought I wasn't serious when I mentioned the return of The Series That Tore SAS Apart but here we are, on the eve of the conference finals, devolving into LOLSouth chat.

Someone know how to get Denis Lemieux back on here?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hand Knit posted:

People thought I wasn't serious when I mentioned the return of The Series That Tore SAS Apart but here we are, on the eve of the conference finals, devolving into LOLSouth chat.

I absolutely believe a Carolina vs. Edmonton rematch would've torn SAS apart all over again.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've run the numbers and I've concluded American Hero Phil Kessel needs a third cup

and it would be very funny for Jack Eichel to immediately win one after leaving buffalo so that too

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Robert Downey Jr we hardly knew ye

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Best start believing, Miss Turner.

Twitter has ~368 million DaU, and the average follows/follower ratio on the accounts you posted is like 5:1.

In the future can you please just post the Deadspin link and not the individual tweets?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 16, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Carolina had more fans at their games than every other team in the league except Montreal. Dallas averaged one fan less, a single person, than the Bruins. The idea that these teams aren't popular is outdated.

That's like 18000 people. You can find 18000 people for basically anything. I had 18000 people over to play board games last week.

waffle enthusiast posted:

Twitter has ~368 million DaU, and the average follows/follower count on the accounts you posted is like 5:1.

In the future can you please just post the Deadspin link and not the individual tweets?

Wow. So they're not people because they don't have a lot of followers? They're just what, filth? Garbage?

That is sick. Disgusting.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 16, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Growing the game in "non-traditional" markets fuckin rules

It just sucks that these specifically are the non-traditional places we ended up with lol

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
hurricanes fans arent too bad. as long as you dont meet them, have to listen to them, or read their opinions on anything.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There are no good fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The people in the stadium don't matter. That's the point.