Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

thehustler posted:

Matafeo/Wozniak have the Junior Taskmaster hosting gig

https://twitter.com/BritishComedy/status/1658405274938425344

More importantly, who are the contestants, will I have heard of any of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Probably not, no. I have misgivings about kids as contestants, because comedy is practiced and honed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It'll probably lean more into the competition side of the show than the comedy side.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I really don't like the idea of taskmaster junior but I really like the idea of Little Mike Wozniak. Conflicted.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
He's a good choice for the assistant who is presumably going to be with them doing the tasks, extreme dad energy. I am very confused at the base concept though.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

it makes sense to me. Taskmaster is already very popular with kids for a panel show. the format clearly appeals to them. Why not try and make an actual kids show?
Will any of us like it? Hopefully, but in the end we aren't the target demographic.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm guessing the tasks will be much more "guided" if not literally by Mike, then by design and setup.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I wasn't being serious with my question btw
They have been running taskmaster for schools, home tasking during lockdown etc for ages. I'm pretty confident they will have a good set of age appropriate tasks and would have vetted/auditioned the kids.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

He's a good choice for the assistant who is presumably going to be with them doing the tasks, extreme dad energy. I am very confused at the base concept though.

this, junior bake off, gogglesprogs. channel 4 like to throw kids into their shows

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

it makes sense to me. Taskmaster is already very popular with kids for a panel show. the format clearly appeals to them. Why not try and make an actual kids show?
Will any of us like it? Hopefully, but in the end we aren't the target demographic.

My daughter (7) loves tuning into the tasks sometimes, but gets lost with the banter and dry humor.

I think a kids taskmaster will go over with her extremely well.

Also rose & mike are the absolutely perfect hosts. I was lukewarm but knowing they’re hosting I’m 110% in. I do expect it to be not very mean with the 2 of them hosting though. They both come off as very gentle.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just went from not caring about Junior Taskmaster to wanting to watch it extremely badly. Those two are perfect picks

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I feel like the New Year's Treats have given the TM team a fair bit of practice in designing suitable tasks for Junior Taskmaster: ones where the results of the task are inherently funny, without needing the input of the contestant themselves. Like the task where you have to collect fish pellets from traps designed to spill the fish pellets, without bending at the knees. That said, there's bound to be a touch of "kids say the funniest things" where you might normally get stand-ups being quick witted. So I can see some people bouncing off that even if they love TM

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Heavy_D posted:

Like the task where you have to collect fish pellets from traps designed to spill the fish pellets, without bending at the knees.
I don't think I remember that one, what episode is it from?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

anilEhilated posted:

I don't think I remember that one, what episode is it from?

This year's New Year's treat.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Something I haven't heard discussed before, how the heck will the prize task work on Junior TM? The pretence that the contestants are bringing their own possessions in will surely be shattered. And how is Rose possibly going to see five submissions for "The thing that makes everyone at school the most jealous" and award one of them 1 point?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heavy_D posted:

Something I haven't heard discussed before, how the heck will the prize task work on Junior TM? The pretence that the contestants are bringing their own possessions in will surely be shattered. And how is Rose possibly going to see five submissions for "The thing that makes everyone at school the most jealous" and award one of them 1 point?

Two words. Arts and crafts.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Do we think it'll be new kids every episode rather than a long running line-up?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

I really don't like the idea of taskmaster junior but I really like the idea of Little Mike Wozniak. Conflicted.

Same on both counts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Do we think it'll be new kids every episode rather than a long running line-up?

Junior Bake Off has the same kids over the season, so why not? I can definitely see shorter seasons though.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

It's not like shows about making kids do weird missions haven't been successful before, TMjr is potentially not that far off from The Crystal Maze with a discussion segment added on.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Personally I suspect the format will be very different and much more akin to a traditional game show, but who knows.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I would probably advise people to watch this with kids or they will only be extremely disappointed and I imagine start questioning why they, an adult, are tuning in to children's television.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
For Mike Wozniak, of course.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Heavy_D posted:

Tonight we've asked you to bring in the most disturbing item from your mom's dresser

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Something I haven't heard discussed before, how the heck will the prize task work on Junior TM? The pretence that the contestants are bringing their own possessions in will surely be shattered.

It’s not a pretence?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I just hope there won't be any tiktok-based tasks.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Paladinus posted:

I just hope there won't be any tiktok-based tasks.

Welllllll what would I do to appeal to yoof audience and boost ratings....hmmmmm?...:imunfunny:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Heavy_D posted:

The pretence got shattered about half way through series 2

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Who gives a gently caress?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Existential Pineapples

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr Beens posted:

The pretence got shattered about half way through series 2
Actually I'm kinda curious about this now since they talk about getting the prizes in podcasts. Do they bring their own props and get them back afterwards (which could work with kids) or is that random junk provided by the show and they have to make up the comedy bit?

(Feel free to spoiler the answers, I assume this is the kind of thing not everyone would want to know)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That was probably the meanest episode since Iain Stirling's infamous meltdown. Mostly thanks to Frankie, but Ivo's also contributed.

Also, Mae's border brollie deserved more points.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Best episode this season I think.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

anilEhilated posted:

Actually I'm kinda curious about this now since they talk about getting the prizes in podcasts. Do they bring their own props and get them back afterwards (which could work with kids) or is that random junk provided by the show and they have to make up the comedy bit?

(Feel free to spoiler the answers, I assume this is the kind of thing not everyone would want to know)

It seems like most people procure the items themselves, but several times I've noticed people alluding to the fact that they've asked production for a specific item to bring in, presumably on the show's dime?

I was basically okay with the live team task from a couple episodes ago, but in this one the team of three had a clear advantage. They should've had Kielle and Jenny alternate throws; even throwing with your off hand the pair would have had the edge, and they worked it out so they were both throwing with their dominant hands.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I love that Frankie and Ivo and to a lesser extent Kiell are losing it as things go on. Frankie with increasing nihilism, Ivo with increasing desperation, and Kiell getting fed up with how things play out for him.

I'm starting to hate Mae though. Not as a person, but as a contestant. They're sucking a lot of the fun out of things. The pineapple task was the tipping point where I was just like this whole loving thing would have been so much more fun without Mae. They're just too dryly play-to-win. And they're not even fun to hate! I feel BAD hating Mae because they seem like a perfectly decent person who's just found themselves in the wrong role.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 19, 2023

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ya Mae is one of the most boring contestants they've had on. I usually have no issue with the competent contestants but they are just so boring while being competent.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I've wanted to express the same sentiment but people seemed to like them in this. Boringly competent though.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the pineapple task resulted in frankie screaming about language so it's fine. mae provides fodder for funnier people which is an acceptable function imo. who cares if they're good at it, no idea why people take this show so seriously

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know why this thread hates competent contestants so much. Must be jealousy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I thought the final task design was a bit poo poo (two throwers will always be better than one) but it was made up by Frankie slowly undressing. Other than that, probably the best episode this season.

Maybe there should be a 'serious' Taskmaster for very serious people to genuinely compete in the tasks. Mae would do well there.

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 19, 2023