Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jeebus bob posted:

Laity is the direct translation of the noun but idk about usage

Right, but it's not like the idea of freedom of religion we have in America, it's the spicy French version that seems to be actively antagonistic towards public religious displays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

zoux posted:

I don't know if the concept of laïcité has an anglosphere analog but they very much believe in freedom from religion en France.

While I like the premise of freedom from religion, France's implementation has been entirely directed at Islam

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well there's also the French concept of le racisme

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

zoux posted:

Well there's also the French concept of le racisme

Even Québec has it!

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
We couldn't have a woman, wearing a hijab, serve children food at a cafeteria, after the Christmas pageant, in a school called Holy Name of Jesus because that would be state endorsement of Islam.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/timjhogan/status/1658490257078374407

Such normal, human, behavior.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I'm starting to see why Trump is so popular on the right-wing, when you compare his "personality", abhorrent though it may be, to the sort of anti-charisma exhibited by Meatball Ron and Cruz.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

PT6A posted:

I'm starting to see why Trump is so popular on the right-wing, when you compare his "personality", abhorrent though it may be, to the sort of anti-charisma exhibited by Meatball Ron and Cruz.
It's always surprising how many people have become successful in politics without any charisma. You'd think it would count more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the last charisma-less president was GHWB, and he only got the one term.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mauser posted:

While I like the premise of freedom from religion, France's implementation has been entirely directed at Islam

I mean, they also give heavy side-eye to Jewish folks wearing kippot (and wanting kosher food), so it's not *just* Islam!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

cat botherer posted:

It's always surprising how many people have become successful in politics without any charisma. You'd think it would count more.

Is that JFK? Lol

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

madmatt112 posted:

Is that JFK? Lol

https://youtu.be/K7y2xPucnAo

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

cat botherer posted:

The secret is that "charisma" is no more objectively real than "intelligence" in that each represents a whole lot of separate and really subjective skills that might not mean much to a given person or in a given situation, so it's easy to not get why so many people are just obsessed by the charm of (insert loser.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you've ever met a real-deal retail politician, you know how potent that personal touch can be.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Fighting Trousers posted:

I mean, they also give heavy side-eye to Jewish folks wearing kippot (and wanting kosher food), so it's not *just* Islam!

You're right, I guess that law does include a prohibition on yarmulkes as well. France is a bunch of highschool atheists

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

zoux posted:

If you've ever met a real-deal retail politician, you know how potent that personal touch can be.
I’ve heard so many times that Clinton makes people feel like they are the only other person in the room when he talks to you. It does seem to be something special. This kind of skill is useful in both politics and seducing interns.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

I’ve heard so many times that Clinton makes people feel like they are the only other person in the room when he talks to you. It does seem to be something special. This kind of skill is useful in both politics and seducing interns.

Yes, and Trump has a certain personal touch too, as we now know thanks to the lawsuit

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

cat botherer posted:

Bill is one of those guys who can remember your name from that one time you met 20 years ago. It's like one of the background X-Men with silly powers, only he used it to become President. Also assault. So maybe a background Brotherhood of Evil Mutants member.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/vizjourno/status/1658647159128969218

This is some real psycho poo poo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

The chosen intern is the only other person in the room tho

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

cat botherer posted:

I don't know what you mean

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I don't know what you mean

Remember when he lost his attempt to spill Turnbull allowing ScoMo to become PM? Because he couldn't count properly?

And remember when he tried to humanize himself by getting a New Idea spread with his family?

Hahaha. What a fuckwit.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Remember when he lost his attempt to spill Turnbull allowing ScoMo to become PM? Because he couldn't count properly?

And remember when he tried to humanize himself by getting a New Idea spread with his family?

Hahaha. What a fuckwit.

Wait is that not the Observer from Fringe?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Naomi Klein investigates ‘conspiracy theory culture’ that has shaken her life

quote:

Doppelganger, due out this autumn, examines ‘the wildness of right now’, including personal issues arising from being confused with Naomi Wolf

Klein is fine. Wolf is... oof.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TFW people think you're the wrong Naomi

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

V-Men posted:

Wait is that not the Observer from Fringe?

They very occasionally could still feel human empathy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hahaha. What a fuckwit.

Remember how he was such a piece of poo poo Queensland copper that even other Queensland coppers hated him?

For those playing at home, Queensland is the Australian equivalent of every lovely US red state rolled into one.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/1186995263807864832?t=1vIkJhYDVBATFvqhuLIrog&s=19

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nm didn’t work

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

zoux posted:

I don't know if the concept of laďcité has an anglosphere analog but they very much believe in freedom from religion en France.

That's the original "laďcité", back in the 1900s.
In the 2000s it's become a transparent cover for rank islamophobia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/mikeisaac/status/1658933551365234692?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
"Gathering of Thought Criminals"

You can just say nazis.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattLira/status/1659008994453737472

Why, it’s every living Speaker of the House…wait hang on :thunk:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/luriethereal/status/1658884837824921603?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1659184941152759808?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So what I'm reading from this it's a convention for sexual harrassers?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1659244221142818816?s=20

Nazi poo poo