Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Wheeee posted:

harder, wetter, faster, hotter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you know what the problem is

we are all too negative

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

No problem - I don't want to get off the ride :)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

actionjackson posted:

you know what the problem is

we are all too negative

you're right! there's nothing we can't do with the power of hope, imagination, and optimism!

wait sorry no i'm thinking of orks in 40k

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

The threads position is that no one should off themselves.

You should watch eyes wide open and let the horrors seer into your eyeballs.

You should actually watch eyes wide shut, it's quite good

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

skooma512 posted:

Also bears mentioning that not every ENSO event maps perfectly on to expectations. I've seen El Nino years go by where Southern CA still was pretty dry, even though the typical effect is the opposite. Not everyone of these will play out the same, and this probably goes doubly true now that climate change has finally come into its own and is materially affecting weather patterns worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if in hindsight we'll point at one of the preceding 10 years as the tipping point where the old models just stopped applying. The polar vortex going stupid and the wobbly jet stream are going to make things much harder to predict, at least until/if we can settle on a new normal

canonical el nino effects map strongly to intense ssta and classic east distribution of anomaly.

we have that so far this year. I’ve academically studied el nino for many years and I have personally been horrified by the strength of the incoming el nino. The southern hemi is also playing ball which has been wishy washy in recent events.

If nothing changes the possibility of an all time event rivaling 97-98 or even surpassing it are real. but there’s a lot of time for things to change.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

If nothing changes the possibility of an all time event rivaling 97-98 or even surpassing it are real. but there’s a lot of time for things to change.

good. the 97 El Niño in California was so much fun. hope we can bring it back!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Harold Fjord posted:

The Ride never stops accelerating.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I didn’t surf quite yet in 97 but I was in junior lifeguards at main beach by the Boardwalk. It was fun for CA at least, not so much elsewhere, and not if you were my parents property, half of which ran into our neighbor’s yard (sandstone).

El Nino not only supports epic surf, it results in super west and even sww swell events that are loving spectacular for CA. Recent events have been kinda duds though, not canonical in presentation

Taima has issued a correction as of 01:04 on May 17, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

oof, wait till 2100

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

good. the 97 El Niño in California was so much fun. hope we can bring it back!

The El Nino of '97, now that sure was big one. Going to school and seeing trash bins floating by. A steaming LAUSD chicken patty sandwich in an auditorium humid with tracked in water. I'll never be able to hear "Laguna Niguel" without remembering houses falling into the sea from a landslide.

Taima posted:

canonical el nino effects map strongly to intense ssta and classic east distribution of anomaly.

we have that so far this year. I’ve academically studied el nino for many years and I have personally been horrified by the strength of the incoming el nino. The southern hemi is also playing ball which has been wishy washy in recent events.

Academically eh. Any good books you'd recommend? Not even just on ENSO, but meteo in general.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

The El Nino of '97, now that sure was big one. Going to school and seeing trash bins floating by. A steaming LAUSD chicken patty sandwich in an auditorium humid with tracked in water. I'll never be able to hear "Laguna Niguel" without remembering houses falling into the sea from a landslide.

Academically eh. Any good books you'd recommend? Not even just on ENSO, but meteo in general.

how technical we talkin my guy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Apparently Hampton Roads is eager to be the second major metro area to get reclaimed by the sea after Miami: https://www.dailypress.com/news/environment/vp-nw-sea-level-rise-hr-20230515-foaoyfzqxfbpheuu6s7mbdkyzu-story.html

Of course, it doesn't help that the Chesapeake Bay got hit by a nearly two-mile-wide bolide ~35.5 million years ago that made the already-sandy ground all the more porous and vulnerable to erosion and sea rise.

My Boomer parents continue to hold onto their rental property there, holding onto hope because some calculator told them it'd be "safe" up to six feet of sea level rise. :cripes:

Said calculator didn't take into account that when the sea level rises on a coastal plain, so too rises the ultra-shallow inland water table (which routinely gets contaminated, fouling people's wells), turning the ground supposedly "safe" structures are on into quicksand marshland.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 01:56 on May 17, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Taima posted:

how technical we talkin my guy

I'm up for anything so long as it doesn't involve high level math.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i love to be wrong as hell about everything all the time

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Apparently Hampton Roads is eager to be the second major metro area to get reclaimed by the sea after Miami: https://www.dailypress.com/news/environment/vp-nw-sea-level-rise-hr-20230515-foaoyfzqxfbpheuu6s7mbdkyzu-story.html

Of course, it doesn't help that the Chesapeake Bay got hit by a nearly two-mile-wide bolide ~35.5 million years ago that made the already-sandy ground all the more porous and vulnerable to erosion and sea rise.

My Boomer parents continue to hold onto their rental property there, holding onto hope because some calculator told them it'd be "safe" up to six feet of sea level rise. :cripes:

Said calculator didn't take into account that when the sea level rises on a coastal plain, so too rises the ultra-shallow inland water table (which routinely gets contaminated, fouling people's wells), turning the ground supposedly "safe" structures are on into quicksand marshland.

kinda my backyard showing up here. Might start putting up little signs that say "don't build your house on the sand". Fun fact, the way this feels as a person standing on it is like you are riding a weird surfboard because the turf on top of the water table and even the roads start undulating and shifting like an ocean were under them, because there is c:

Stinky Wizzleteats has issued a correction as of 04:00 on May 17, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Don't worry, when the coastal plains countrywide turn into "Marshy Centralia," rendering trillions in real estate unfit for human habitation, I'm sure *that* will be the catalyst that makes people realize "oh hey, things might be getting bad."

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

said goodbye to my cool banjo playing, model-a driving neighbor today, he's moving up to the carolinas. second neighbor to move out in the last few months, i think having another hurricane near-miss last year motivated the people with enough money for relocating to escape to higher ground while they can.

when i was helping him move boxes i found out he was keeping a big trough of birdseed just on the other side of the fence so i guess a lot of the birds that visit me were just getting food next door lol. hope my bird baths are enough to keep some around. got four(!) young blue jays out there this season that are great to watch. they can fly some but don't venture beyond the nearest trees, poking around at branches and rocks on the ground figuring out what they can and can't eat, screaming and flapping their wings anytime a parent flies back in to beg for a feeding. im sure at some point an osprey is gonna swoop in and grab one of them but they are having a good time for now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

a strange fowl posted:

i love to be wrong as hell about everything all the time

I will get on my knees and praise a God I don't currently believe in if climate change doesn't happen, or is even like,survivable.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

Yeah it's survivable. But not if it sneaks up on you completely unprepared and you're a lovely camper or disabled or a lot of other factors that would prevent moving on foot.

Hampton roads and Norfolk/vb are all hosed and have a lot of airbases and other mil installations that don't seem to give a gently caress lol

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

The worst it's ever going to be is like a real bad hurricane followed by a real hosed up aftermath, and when the big son of a bitch looks eminent you just get out and dont look back. Might mean camping in the worst case.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

skooma512 posted:

I will get on my knees and praise a God I don't currently believe in if climate change doesn't happen, or is even like,survivable.

There could be the most jank hundreds of square miles of dead mans land full of no-safety nuclear reactors powering a drill the size of Manhattan into the mantle and spewing a plume of olivine into the stratosphere to be weathered and it would be the most miraculous thing to happen to the biosphere since the birth of mankind if it could hold climate change back from apocalyptic to nightmarish

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

on the bright side, property values around Vancouver won't keep rising forever

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

also no one gets to live forever and that knowledge can't be allowed to stop your living, but it should clarify what living means and what it doesnt

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

on the bright side, property values around Vancouver won't keep rising forever

actually, number always goes up

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

now is the time to invest in property in nunavut

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

RIP most Americans

RIP me

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the fortunate grandchildren of today's working class will live on in indentured servitude in small enclaves ruled by the formerly wealthy now turned neofeudal lords

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Is there any good post-climate change speculative fiction out there?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

And I guess what I mean by post-climate change is post-material conditions have deteriorated so badly there is no denying it's existence outside of wierd cult-like enclaves and a general collapse of 21st century industrial economies.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
parable of the sower, the water knife, american war (not a focus but gas cars being banned kicks off civil war 2)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Road

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Just a Moron posted:

Is there any good post-climate change speculative fiction out there?

I read the deluge and it had mixed reviews in here. Probably the most realistic one but it's super long and might not be worth it. Has the science down pretty well.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bad news :(

quote:

World likely to breach 1.5C climate threshold by 2027, scientists warn

The world is almost certain to experience new record temperatures in the next five years, and temperatures are likely to rise by more than 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, scientists have warned.

Good news :)

quote:

The breaching of the crucial 1.5C threshold, which scientists have warned could have dire consequences, should be only temporary, according to research from the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO).

quote:

However, it would represent a marked acceleration of human impacts on the global climate system, and send the world into “uncharted territory”, the UN agency warned.

quote:

Countries have pledged, under the 2015 Paris climate agreement, to try to hold global temperatures to no higher than 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, after scientific advice that heating beyond that level would unleash a cascade of increasingly catastrophic and potentially irreversible impacts.

overall it’s impossible to say if there’s anything to worry about

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/17/global-heating-climate-crisis-record-temperatures-wmo-research

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

the cope on display is really something to behold

quote:

WMO is sounding the alarm that we will breach the 1.5C level on a temporary basis with increasing frequency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTicU8jklyI

TACD has issued a correction as of 11:43 on May 17, 2023

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

TACD posted:

overall it’s impossible to say if there’s anything to worry about

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/17/global-heating-climate-crisis-record-temperatures-wmo-research

I like the implication that the breaching of 1.5 is only temporary, when we've done nothing to even slow the acceleration of emissions, let alone reverse them. Pretty soon it'll be temporary when we start breaching 2C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

a perfectly seamless transition from "scientists say breaching 1.5C will only be temporary" to "scientists say there will still be occasional cooler years of respite"