Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://twitter.com/boreskes/status/1658580390053924866

lmfao these people control the biospheres future.

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

So at least double, if not triple, that number for the real poverty number that isn't based off of the cost of a meal + inflation or some poo poo.

the real poverty number before the last two years
bet you the real number is closer to half right now.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I could not be paid money to listen to an entire book read by an AI generated voice, they sound loving awful on videos after two minutes as is because they can’t figure out how to do inflection or emotions right

Like plastic surgery, you only notice when it’s done poorly. AI voice readings are the majority of audiobooks for the past year or so.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

err posted:

im sure they will figure it out

technology and science will save us, no need to do anything its all under control

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Doomsday Economics + COVID + videogames collision

Blizzard developers say mandatory return-to-office policy has 'cost us some amazing people'

quote:

Activision Blizzard's mandatory return-to-office policy is causing an unnecessary loss of talent, to the point where it could affect development of major titles like World of Warcraft and Diablo 4, according to some Blizzard developers.

As reported by Kotaku, the company mandated that Activision employees return to the office for three days a week on April 10 this year, while Blizzard workers would be expected to follow suit on July 10. But several developers have spoken out about the ramifications this has had for employment.

"Being loud about it because I've lost yet *another* person this week," game producer Adam "Glaxigrav" tweeted in April. "Blizzard is losing amazing talent because someone in power doesn't listen to the game directors who make his products." Adam further stated that "We are creating crisis maps of what we can or cannot ship. THAT is the loss of capacity we're facing."

quote:

Being loud about it because I've lost yet *another* person this week. Blizzard is losing amazing talent because someone in power doesn't listen to the game directors who make his products. DE&I also means diversity of thought, especially when it's backed by data and financials.April 18, 2023

Other Blizzard employees added their own thoughts to Adam's tweet. "Forced RTO has cost us some amazing people and will continue to cost us more in the coming months", wrote senior designer Allison Steele. "It is a terrible, shortsighted, self-destructive policy that is only weakening our ability to deliver the kind of game we want to make." An example of the effect ABK's policy is having can be found in the replies to Steele's tweet. "I've received a job offer for Blizzard, and the move to Irvine was mandatory…which is a no-go for me" wrote Ubisoft AI programmer Stéphane Wantiez.

quote:

forced rto has cost us some amazing people and will continue to cost us more in the coming months.it is a terrible, shortsighted, self-destructive policy that is only weakening our ability to deliver the kind of game we want to make and our players deserve.

Kotaku also spoke to an employee on the Diablo 4 team on the condition of anonymity, who said they believed their days at Blizzard "are numbered", that none of their managers are on board with the return-to-office policy, and that several other people on the team had also given notice. The same employee also speculated that Blizzard is "tightening its belt right now and they want people to leave", which may affect Blizzard's plans for Diablo IV's post-release updates.

It's worth noting that the mandatory office attendance doesn't apply to ABK's executives. Recently hired execs like Chief Administrative Officer Brian Bulatao, and Chief Communications Officer Lulu Cheng Meservey, have full-time remote status.

Return to office policies have been a divisive subject in the games industry of late. Recently, a Unity manager was fired (opens in new tab) after referring to an exec's RTO solution as "out of touch" on Twitter. Meanwhile, other companies like Bungie (opens in new tab)and Respawn Entertainment have fully embraced remote-working.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
" It's worth noting that the mandatory office attendance doesn't apply to ABK's executives. Recently hired execs like Chief Administrative Officer Brian Bulatao, and Chief Communications Officer Lulu Cheng Meservey, have full-time remote status."

lmao. the CEOs do all the hardest work, they're the most productive people, which is why all the peons must work from the office to maximize productivity

its all a sham

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Raccooon posted:

Feinstein’s brain is going to completely crap out right before the debt ceiling vote and cause it to fail.

Narratively I feel like it has to happen this way.

They'll be frantically defibrillating her with vote in hand in a last second attempt to avoid Roman empire level collapse.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

good. i support acti "breast milk" blizzard imploding. accelerationism is good in this case

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i just learned about how thiel got so insanely rich

https://www.propublica.org/article/...free-piggy-bank

tl;dr when he started paypal, his salary was under roth limits as most of his compensation was in stock. before paypal went public, he bought 1.7 million shares at only 0.001/share (???) so he only spent 1700. then all the gains from paypal shares went into his roth, and then he used the roth money to make other investments like palantir, etc. now it currently has FIVE BILLION DOLLARS and he can take it all out tax-free in a few years.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

good. i support acti "breast milk" blizzard imploding. accelerationism is good in this case

I'm sure they'll be extracting rents from their IPs for many years to come even as their capacity to make anything new collapses to zero

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm sure they'll be extracting rents from their IPs for many years to come even as their capacity to make anything new collapses to zero

probably but their IPs suck rear end so no real loss for Gamers. unless someone is an overwatch or hearthstone addict in which case eww

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

repubs should make each debt ceiling increase last only a month, and just keep extracting concession after concession, month after month. why not?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

actionjackson posted:

tl;dr when he started paypal, his salary was under roth limits as most of his compensation was in stock. before paypal went public, he bought 1.7 million shares at only 0.001/share (???) so he only spent 1700. then all the gains from paypal shares went into his roth, and then he used the roth money to make other investments like palantir, etc. now it currently has FIVE BILLION DOLLARS and he can take it all out tax-free in a few years.

nice

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

probably but their IPs suck rear end so no real loss for Gamers. unless someone is an overwatch or hearthstone addict in which case eww

Their games have huge audiences, especially the worst ones and all the mobile gunk

They print money even when they suck

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Paradoxish posted:

It's the usual situation where hitting somewhere in the lower-middle of the quality range will cause a lot of damage. I've never heard text-to-speech that's even in the same ballpark as really good narration and I don't think it really competes with mediocre stuff, but it's better than a lot of the trash narration that publishers are putting out right now. Pumping out tons of "tolerable but not good" content will destroy the market for the better stuff.

There's also the problem that good narration still requires direction and/or narrator judgement. Producing really good stuff with text-to-speech still requires a ton of human input, it's just a more technical kind of input than being a voice actor/narrator.

yeah, it doesn’t matter if the AI voice is lovely because soon there won’t be any non-AI readers, anyone who likes audiobooks will just suck it up or stop listening because lol what else you gonna do?

what’s really going to be “interesting” is when voice deepfakes get into lawsuits. not so much to entrap or imprison unfortunates (although that will happen too), but when the rich use reasonable doubt to deny anything embarrassing they might say publicly and successfully sue for libel against anyone repeating it

Koirhor posted:

yes I am the govt robot their is a warrant out for your social security number, you have to send a picture of your pussy from western union

ohh, mr. chapelle!! why didn’t you spread your cheeks in the first place?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

actionjackson posted:

smh and libs want to get rid of the death penalty

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

yeah, it doesn’t matter if the AI voice is lovely because soon there won’t be any non-AI readers, anyone who likes audiobooks will just suck it up or stop listening because lol what else you gonna do?

Once good-enough voice AIs are as easy to run on a home computer as the image ones, people are just going to cut out the publisher and dump TXT files into a script, generating their own audiobook with the celebrity narrator of their choice. I expect the time between 'major audiobook publishers fire all human narrators and switch to AI' and 'major audiobook publishers all out of business' to be very short.

Hell someone will probably make that an add-on for the Calibre ebook manager in a few years.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hmm looks like Americans are stupid as poo poo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

We need people on site to foster relationships[Pervasive sexual harassment] and reinforce workplace culture[stealing people's breast milk and drinking it]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Their games have huge audiences, especially the worst ones and all the mobile gunk

They print money even when they suck
honestly i dont get why people were spending $$$ on diablo immortal or hearthstone or overwatch 2 when it all sucks rear end

whatever happened to spending money on a good game instead?? it's never been easier to find a good game

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Xaris posted:

honestly i dont get why people were spending $$$ on diablo immortal or hearthstone or overwatch 2 when it all sucks rear end

whatever happened to spending money on a good game instead?? it's never been easier to find a good game

theyre addicts, OP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
shamelessly stolen:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

theyre addicts, OP
idk fentanyl is way cheaper than overwatch + feels better. just do some cheap fenty

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

It's about reaching people and barrier to sales. Something like 90% of people have a smart phone capable of running these games, so there is a huge potential audience by default.

The median gamer is a mobile gamer. Also lots of people on consoles. PC gamers are almost niche hobbyists by comparison.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

idk fentanyl is way cheaper than overwatch + feels better. just do some cheap fenty

Overwatch won't kill you. probably

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Overwatch won't kill you. probably
maybe. WoW has definitely killed people poopsocking and suiciding after getting their +9 rare sword of thralls cbt scammed

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Question: How do we know data like this isn't just outright fabricated? It would be the easiest thing in the world to just make poo poo up and make an Excel graph. I did this in my marketing class in college because hosed if I was going to talk to random people.

Even without just making up the data, 'some' to 'a lot of' trust is a pretty wide gulf.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mobile gaming is so insanely lucrative for these companies that it's difficult to put into words. It's precisely those hockey stick returns that all of the VC maniacs spend their lives chasing and the Elizabeth Holmes of the world keep selling them on, but actually obtainable. These companies farm out all of the asset work overseas and virtually the entire focus on development is the addiction/micro transaction loop. It's literally down to a science for these companies, they work consumers like a factory farm works livestock.

That is why big, profit-drive corporate entities like Activision and EA keep making mobile crap even though their loudest, most visible fans hate it. Diablo Immortal cost almost nothing to make and will be bringing in hundreds of millions for years to come. The fact that they're watering down their IP isn't even considered, that sort of wildfire profit margin is crack cocaine for the C-suite.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Question: How do we know data like this isn't just outright fabricated? It would be the easiest thing in the world to just make poo poo up and make an Excel graph. I did this in my marketing class in college because hosed if I was going to talk to random people.

Even without just making up the data, 'some' to 'a lot of' trust is a pretty wide gulf.

Idk, I can't even see how that graph reflects trust in corporate institutions when all it shows are government institutions (but it repeats itself).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anyway here's the methodology

quote:

Morning Consult tracks U.S. adults’ trust in each of 18 major institutions, from Congress to Hollywood. This data set provides real-time insights into how public trust is shifting in the country. The latest results are from a survey conducted May 4-7, 2023, among a representative sample of 2,202 U.S. adults, with an unweighted margin of error of +/- 2 percentage points. This page is updated monthly.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i dunno, rooting for the objectively much worse option makes no sense to me, especially when it appears to be condoned and cheered on for out of mere spite

it's like that one cartoon where the middle aged businessman and a couple of kids are sitting around a post-apocalyptic campfire setting and the man goes "but for one brief moment, we created lots of value for shareholders"

except it is "but for one brief moment, we had lots of funny memes to post and laugh at"

the "objectively much worse" option, according to this person, is to crash the economy that makes thousands of billionaires possible

the alternative this person prefers, according to this person's posts, is for tens of millions of people to be cut off from their final lines of assistance so they die of starvation and/or resort to criminal activity / prostitution

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

the "objectively much worse" option, according to this person, is to crash the economy that makes thousands of billionaires possible

the alternative this person prefers, according to this person's posts, is for tens of millions of people to be cut off from their final lines of assistance so they die of starvation and/or resort to criminal activity / prostitution

Yeah it rules he can just spout far right nonsense and is considered lib-left, but I say the usa government working with big tech to monitor and censor people is bad and I'm a chud/nazi.

I love these forums

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 05:06 on May 17, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"look at my posts in the climate thread!" they say, "it shows how serious I am about disliking all this!"

so therefore they should be in favor of crashing the economy that's directly and powerfully contributing to boiling the planet alive... right...?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Xaris posted:

shamelessly stolen:

is metaverse really still treading water

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Flavahbeast posted:

is metaverse really still treading water
no

it's a floating turd that wont flush

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

turns out carvana's strategy of paying +100% kelly bluebook prices for lovely used cars sight-unseen and sticking it in a vending machine and an app for anti-social nerds wasn't a viable business strategy

who could see that coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Xaris posted:

turns out carvana's strategy of paying +100% kelly bluebook prices for lovely used cars sight-unseen and sticking it in a vending machine and an app for anti-social nerds wasn't a viable business strategy

who could see that coming

good thing they already have a halo above their dead brand