Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CODChimera posted:

iirc somewhere they mentioned AT: O only broke even and while they were trying to give a good deal and get a following they still priced it too low, not sure if that was just in general or because of covid but yeah.

speaking of which they've got a reprint plus a new game, Sins of Herakles, starting in a couple of days: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdomsforlorn/aeon-trespass-odyssey-second-printing?ref=ex8vr2&token=03ab9617

looks pretty cool

...and they're also pricing the new game at the same price. So go figure.

Maybe they're hoping that all the (deserved) hype around the original game will get a lot of buy-in around the reprint which will be $300 this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
AT:O’s biggest problem was the massive rise in shipping price just as they were delivering, they had to go to backers and offer a new add on to get the cash to deliver the core set. A good chunk of backers stumped up and they delivered.

So long as transport prices don’t rocket up the same way, they will probably do well this time. They are also a proven commodity now with a best in class product.

Which reminds me to start printing my 3D organiser.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Those are pretty cool, I'll have to keep an eye on them

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

HidaO-Win posted:

Which reminds me to start printing my 3D organiser.

If you've got links for a good ATO organizer I'd be interested

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

interrodactyl posted:

This is one their Discord speaks highly of.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3027676/review-3d-printed-insert-kurosh-nahavandi

Going to print a few bits and see how it looks this week.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

HidaO-Win posted:

This is one their Discord speaks highly of.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3027676/review-3d-printed-insert-kurosh-nahavandi

Going to print a few bits and see how it looks this week.

I made that one and I like it. Fits in the box really well and is about as easy as I can imagine it being for setup. I'm not really sold on the 'dashboards' for the Argonauts/Primordials but there's no reason you can't just use them for storage and not for gameplay.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

https://laserox.net/ they have one upcoming apparently

I brought this one but its very expensive and takes a fair bit of assembly but it fits a folder which is cool: https://fancybutfunctional.com/products/aeon-trespass-odessy-premium-box-organizer

also yeah the discord is great for info and help

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone end up springing for Break!!? Looked kind of interesting and it's in the last two days. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/576526373/break-a-trpg-inspired-by-classic-videogames-and-anime

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Echophonic posted:

Anyone end up springing for Break!!? Looked kind of interesting and it's in the last two days. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/576526373/break-a-trpg-inspired-by-classic-videogames-and-anime

I've been looking forward to it for years. It's the last great G+ RPG enterprise. I'm also amused it's over four hundred thousand and not a single stretch goal. (Some of the supporters are angry about this.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Echophonic posted:

I passed. I was excited once, but that was years ago. At this point, the "rules light but high gloss Final Fantasy" genre is less novel than it was a decade ago. The Fabula Ultima community seems to be really taking off and scratched that itch for me already.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dawgstar posted:

I've been looking forward to it for years. It's the last great G+ RPG enterprise. I'm also amused it's over four hundred thousand and not a single stretch goal. (Some of the supporters are angry about this.)

It's weird to see a project without stretch goals, especially one as successful as this. It's not that hard to promise an adventure or something.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

CitizenKeen posted:

At this point, the "rules light but high gloss Final Fantasy" genre is less novel than it was a decade ago.

Yeah, I feel like I'm kind of full up on projects based on aesthetic and vibes. I need some specific, crisp world and scenario ideas and less "hey, remember Slayers?"

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

It's weird to see a project without stretch goals, especially one as successful as this. It's not that hard to promise an adventure or something.

I think it's because all of the art was done by one of the creators, which is why it's been in dev for so long, and they are realistic about the work of doing more of that. And sometimes you just want to put a book out and not plan extra work for the next year and a half.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Echophonic posted:

I got the physical tier reward. It feels like a good bang for your bucks, given the amount of content/art you get. Tbh, Icon is probably a better Break than Break - and it's free to booth, at least in PDF format, on itch.io.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I've definitely fallen out of paying attention to board game kickstarters, but this is apparently the one week when a bunch of big campaigns decided to launch. Something special about the middle of May?

Aeon Trespass 2nd printing and standalone expansion: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdomsforlorn/aeon-trespass-odyssey-second-printing

Dead Cells: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scorpionmasque/dead-cells-the-rogue-lite-board-game

Apex Legends (launches Wed): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glasscannonunplugged/apex-legends-the-board-game

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (launches Thu): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-board-game

I've been playing through my friend's copy of Aeon Trespass and it's quite a good boss battler, but I don't really see needing another few hundred dollars worth of it?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Mmm Dead Cells is made by Scorpion Masque, so it may be interesting.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

I'm all in on Aeon Trespass just because I really enjoyed the first cycle. Its a great game, deeply challenging, good story, happy to support again.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

That Italian Guy posted:

Decrypto is one of the best party games ever made so I'm definitely intrigued to see what they've got here. Flipping through the rules, I'm having trouble visualizing how combat really works/is fun, especially since with 4 players, only 3 people get to participate? You'll have a lot of individual combats so it isn't like you're getting left out of a Gloomhaven scenario or something but still... a weird choice.

edit: I do like the roguelite, many-runs-slow-progression style of design. I feel like usually when board games try to ape PC roguelites, each "run" ends up being quite long. Misses the "just one more try" feeling you get from Slay the Spire and its ilk IMO.

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 16, 2023

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

HidaO-Win posted:

I'm all in on Aeon Trespass just because I really enjoyed the first cycle. Its a great game, deeply challenging, good story, happy to support again.

I'm curious since you've played both - how do you think it compares to Oathsworn?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I love dead cells so that looks really cool. Very interested in seeing how it plays as a pair

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

I've been playing through my friend's copy of Aeon Trespass and it's quite a good boss battler, but I don't really see needing another few hundred dollars worth of it?

This is very sensible.

I am not sensible.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

buy everything, finish AT: O and then sell it before the next one arrives bing bong

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

I'm curious since you've played both - how do you think it compares to Oathsworn?

They are both complex boss battlers with cool stories.

From a story point of view, its mostly what theming you like better, if you prefer Warhammer Fantasy but city states in a hostile forest go Oathsworn, if you like the idea of Neon Genesis Evangelion but in Ancient Greece, I’d got Aeon Trespass. I think Aeon Trespasses story is a bit better written, but Oathsworn is all really well voice acted in the app. However they are hinting at narration as part of the new kickstarter.

Physically, they are both the apotheosis of excess, giant models, giant boxes, just tons of poo poo that’ll never be in a shop because it takes too much room. So the look great and are a pain in the rear end to store. Aeons storage is criminal, at the moment you need a third party solution, but the new print run will have some stuff to improve it.

Mechanically, they are both very good, challenging games. Oathsworn tends towards a different set piece fight every time with usually a unique new opponent. You sometimes go in totally blind, sometimes you know a bit about what you’re facing and you can tailor your loadout a little to compensate. Each fight is a new surprise, so its more about the pure novelty and discovery each time.
Aeon Trespass, you will tend to fight each monster multiple times, some of them a half dozen times or more. As you fight them they grow more dangerous, so its about making gear and adapting your tactics and loadout to handle that one fight. So each fight is about learning how the bad guys fights and optimising your play to handle them.

The not fighting stuff kind of comes down to, if you prefer funky mini-games, go Oathsworn, if you prefer Choose Your Own Adventure stuff and X-Com tech trees, go AT:O.

So what it comes down to for me is, its harder to carry a weaker player in Aeon Trespass if they resist any quarterbacking. You need teamwork in both games, but someone less engaged in Oathsworn is fine, but if they play casually in AT:O, they’ll just get killed almost immediately in the later fights. I also cheesed out much of Oathsworn with the Witch. How I know my approach was valid is that they are totally nerfing the mechanics that let me do that in the update.

Therefore in my playgroup, if its myself and my best mate who both love the challenge, we’ll play Aeon Trespass. If my brother(s) are along who are less hardcore, I’d play Oathsworn.

If length is a factor, Oathsworn might be about 60 hours of play, first three cycles of AT:O is at probably a 100 hours.

TLDR: Both good, if you want the Dark Souls of Boss Battlers go AT:O, if you want a decent challenge go Oathsworn.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If Aeon Trespass had a standee pledge like Oathsworn I’d be in in a heartbeat.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

They've also said they're planning to work on small supplements anyway, so this is probably a moot point, but the fewer stretch goals you have the better IMO. They clearly don't need them to overfund so they should just make that dough :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

More importantly it's designed by Antoine Bauza (7 Wonders, Tokaido).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ettin posted:

They've also said they're planning to work on small supplements anyway, so this is probably a moot point, but the fewer stretch goals you have the better IMO. They clearly don't need them to overfund so they should just make that dough :v:

Oh, I absolutely agree. I'm especially glad they're avoiding the 'physical rewards' pitfall. And they might make money off of it!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

Frankly I consider "no stretch goals" to be a positive sign these days, or rather I should say that while I don't think stretch goals are inherently a sign that something is going to go wrong, having no stretch goals eliminates at least one thing which could go wrong (and has historically caused many projects many problems). "We gave you a bunch of money so you owe us even more stuff" as some of the backers are apparently arguing is just Kickstarter brainworms. A project is allowed to massively succeed on its own ostensible merits.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I hate what stretch goals have become.

If the stretch goals are "we can improve the card stock quality" or "we can pay the artist's more" then I'm all for it.

Too often they are "here is another character" or "here is another mission". They must have come up with these ahead of time. Hopefully they have been play tested. So if they already existed and play tested, why were they not in the original set to begin with.

It feels like video games where a developer will intentionally leave out content just to sell as DLC later.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Monster Hunter World Iceborne launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-board-game

In completely unrelated news, Steamforged laid off 1/3rd of their staff: https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/steamforged-games-redundancies-hit-20-board-game-workers

I have to imagine that Elden Ring massively underperforming their expectations hit them hard. They also still have 6 kickstarters that are unfulfilled:

- Elden Ring: The Board Game
- Rivet Wars: Reloaded
- Euthia Resurrected
- Epic Encounters: Local Legends
- RuneScape Kingdoms: Shadow of Elvarg
- Resident Evil™: The Board Game

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Monster Hunter sounds cool, but these days if I can't just buy it at retail it wasn't worth owning anyway. Hard to imagine anyone buying in to a new Steam forged project at this point.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

interrodactyl posted:

In completely unrelated news, Steamforged laid off 1/3rd of their staff: https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/steamforged-games-redundancies-hit-20-board-game-workers

I have to imagine that Elden Ring massively underperforming their expectations hit them hard. They also still have 6 kickstarters that are unfulfilled:

- Euthia Resurrected
Oof, glad I dropped off after taking my chance with Dark Souls and Bardsung. Both are pretty mediocre, but at least I have em. Also glad all my Animal Adventures minis are in hand.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

If Euthis doesnt deliver, that project is snakebit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

interrodactyl posted:

Monster Hunter World Iceborne launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-board-game

- Euthia Resurrected

Guildball seemed like a decent product, but I never saw anyone play it

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Guildball seemed like a decent product, but I never saw anyone play it

Guildball was a fun game, Steamforged blew it up and blamed the players for making the game bad in a display of salting the earth I’m surprised didn’t make more waves.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HidaO-Win posted:

Guildball was a fun game, Steamforged blew it up and blamed the players for making the game bad in a display of salting the earth I’m surprised didn’t make more waves.

Oh I didn't know they did that, what did they do?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tsietisin posted:

Too often they are "here is another character" or "here is another mission". They must have come up with these ahead of time. Hopefully they have been play tested. So if they already existed and play tested, why were they not in the original set to begin with.

The creator doesn’t owe you all of their creations just because they made them and are selling you something. When I buy a book I don’t automatically get everything else that author has written, even though it’s already complete. Maybe they are planning to sell the additional elements separately to support themselves, but will throw them in if the excess raised exceeds their projection for sales of the supplement.

That’s not the same thing as selling something that is incomplete and needs an additional purchase to become whole, which IMO isn’t a reasonable approach.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Oh I didn't know they did that, what did they do?

They released a statement essentially saying 1) We have made a perfect, immaculately designed game with no room for further iteration, improvement, or updates and at the same time 2) The player base has ruined the experience by going too hard and taking it too seriously. Definitely do not think too hard about this contradiction and instead please realize the only option is to kill the game dead on the spot.

They clearly desperately needed to absolve themselves of the game entirely, obviously for financial reasons, but clearly somewhere an ego or two got in the way and wouldn't let them outright say such a thing.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Gumdrop Larry posted:

They released a statement essentially saying 1) We have made a perfect, immaculately designed game with no room for further iteration, improvement, or updates and at the same time 2) The player base has ruined the experience by going too hard and taking it too seriously. Definitely do not think too hard about this contradiction and instead please realize the only option is to kill the game dead on the spot.

They clearly desperately needed to absolve themselves of the game entirely, obviously for financial reasons, but clearly somewhere an ego or two got in the way and wouldn't let them outright say such a thing.

I had remembered the controversy about them this at the time, because to be honest Guildball always perplexed me. Looking around, I believe I found the contentious statements, reposted here:

Steamforged posted:

Guild Ball became the type of game where you win your first game (demo) and then lose the next 100 games. When matched against a lesser skilled or inexperienced opponent, a better player would simply win the vast majority of games.

As the competitive scene began to dominate, the design space for wilder, more ‘fun’ elements began to shrink. New minis were either ‘OP’ or ‘trash-tier’ the second they were announced. Why take a new model when model XYZ already filled the role?

The style of gameplay changed to low-risk, ultra-conservative play where the ball was often deliberately side-lined.

This wasn’t the Guild Ball we envisaged.

Yeah, that sounds exactly like blaming the players instead of trying to fix the game. That is some serious "shitlist" territory but people keep lining up for their crowdfunding campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

If I recall correctly there was a story, and I stress it was a story that one of the designers thought “killing the ball” was a clever and cool tactic, then someone did it to him in a tournament and he left in a rage.

What I do know is that in the final Guild Ball fictions they had one of the characters watch the stands in dismay as the supporters bayed for blood, lamenting that it was the fans that have ruined the game, made it cruel and nasty.

It was something else, just seething about the player base. Its such a miscue to hate your customers, they will eventually notice and why should I give money to a company that actively loathes me.