Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't checked yet, but tbh my fan rarely gets loud enough for me to hear it over the game and ambient noise, so it's not really bothering me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Beastie posted:

I just looked and I don't see any mention of Delta near my fan but I can't hear any loud whining over my tinnitus

Wait, a new whine?
I can hear my fan but doubt it's more than air flow. Does the new fan help air movement, or just noise mitigation?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

deong posted:

Wait, a new whine?
I can hear my fan but doubt it's more than air flow. Does the new fan help air movement, or just noise mitigation?

It's not really a "new" fan anymore. They both cool at about the same level, and it's just that one has a slightly higher-pitched noise profile than the other. Valve uses the two interchangeably during manufacturing because they can't get enough supply of either type for every steam deck made.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

1. `passwd`: Set a password for the "deck" user to improve security and prevent unauthorized access.
2. `sudo btrfs property set -ts / ro false`: Disable read-only mode on the root filesystem if it's using Btrfs.
3. `sudo pacman-key --init`: Initialize the pacman keyring, necessary for package management in Arch Linux.
4. `sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux`: Populate the pacman keyring with the default Arch Linux keys, used for verifying package signatures.
5. `sudo pacman -S vi`: Install the Vi text editor using pacman. Substitute `python` or `python-pip` as needed.

ignore

Mescal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 17, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

For what purpose, and also, why vi and not vim if you're vi-brained

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If a newbie needs a console mode text editor, the classic recommendation is nano which is very straight forward once you know that ^G means Ctrl-G.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

minusX posted:

I did an RMA, got a second device on there, and then after getting it back ANOTHER one was there and it had Delta fans and that's my life now :(

You can always just replace the fan if the noise profile really bothers you. The Huayings seem somewhat readily available for not a lot of money and replacing the fan is easier than replacing the SSD.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have a Huaying :smug:

Beastie posted:

I just looked and I don't see any mention of Delta near my fan but I can't hear any loud whining over my tinnitus

You can see your exact components in the settings menu, under system scroll down to hardware and click Model/Serial Numbers and it'll tell you what fan, memory, storage and sticks you have.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

That’s also a stupid way of disabling the read only environment when
code:
sudo steamos-readonly disable
exists. You should also re-enable it once done installing packages, and include the caveat that any of them may disappear at any time with an update of SteamOS.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Khanstant posted:

I remember how annoyed I was when games started using contextual buttons instead of individual keys for each action. Seems insane now to do it any other way. Sometimes with games designed for controllers you end up missing a few things that should have its own buttons but overall so much better.

Yeah but it sucks when you don't have the option. I hate having to tab for some stupid circle, find the stuff I want, then press some other key to use it. Just let me hit the numpad or whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Yeah but it sucks when you don't have the option. I hate having to tab for some stupid circle, find the stuff I want, then press some other key to use it. Just let me hit the numpad or whatever.

Playing Years of the Kingdom lately on PC and there's definitely a couple of things I'd snap out of the wheel or menus and make a keyboard toggle for if I could.

The other contextual buttons issue, also gonna use TotK for the example, is sometimes contextual stuff moves and changes the prompt to something you don't want. Like trying to grab a couple little bugs, but actually the game has you launch a cannonball, banshee scream a wind gust, and call down a thunderstrike - instead killing the loot you meant to pick up.

This issue will only be solved when they put more buttons on controller or we have control microchips in our butt

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
The trackpads can be really cool for extra keys, it can be set into a zone with a bunch of keys or key combos. It's accurate enough that they quickly become muscle memory and I was able to play stuff like Tie Fighter pretty comfortably.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ledenko posted:

The trackpads can be really cool

Also, sometimes they're not

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khanstant posted:

put more buttons on controller

https://www.azeron.eu/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ledenko posted:

The trackpads can be really cool for extra keys, it can be set into a zone with a bunch of keys or key combos. It's accurate enough that they quickly become muscle memory and I was able to play stuff like Tie Fighter pretty comfortably.

I've been wanting to try out the TIE Fighter remake mod on the deck, incidentally.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

If a newbie needs a console mode text editor, the classic recommendation is nano which is very straight forward once you know that ^G means Ctrl-G.

? I thought it was clear that was just an example. Nobody needs vi.

Nam Taf posted:

That’s also a stupid way of disabling the read only environment when
code:
sudo steamos-readonly disable
exists.

brilliant! thank you.

:greencube:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Nobody needs vi‽‽‽

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Nobody needs vi‽‽‽

Correct, because vim exists.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It took a hot second but I got genshin running on the deck in steamOS

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Paradoxish posted:

You can always just replace the fan if the noise profile really bothers you. The Huayings seem somewhat readily available for not a lot of money and replacing the fan is easier than replacing the SSD.

Yeah, I already debated doing so for myself and my Girlfriend's model, it is very noticeable and the fan starts sooner for sure. I am annoyed because on the old fans I turned off the updated profile as the noise wasn't as high pitched so it didn't bug me any. The Db of both has been measured to be the same, it's the pitch the makes it annoying.

But $30 for the fans and while I'm in there I can also upgrade the SSD and then the Ally was announced and waiting for that to fully pan out after some updates as I have some windows only games I'd love to enjoy. Between that and the people having blown out components from SSDs pulling too much power I'll sit on the slightly less good sounding fan and see where I fall on spending money to make my devices the best after the fact.

(Also I switched sticks and this model's caps went white before I even managed to touch it so I think I ended up with the technically poorer quality version of everything from the whole process woe is me :sigh:).

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I've been wanting to try out the TIE Fighter remake mod on the deck, incidentally.

No bueno, it doesn't work or if it does, it requires major work. I'm on their discord and I don't think anyone managed to get it working yet. Maybe an older version but even that broke for no reason for some guy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tamba posted:

*emacs

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Look at all those people using overengineered garbage when Ed is the standard text editor.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
ed, man! !man ed

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tamba posted:

It's not just that vim exists, it comes preinstalled on the Deck.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 99% of Deck users should be fine with the already-installed nano to edit a config file or whatever.

Edit: Referring to whatever Mescal was up to, I wouldn't want to get between a Linux vet and their editor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyone playing HROT on Deck, disabling the framerate cap entirely in the battery options seems to have fixed most frame drops, getting nearly locked 60 whereas before it was in the 40s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A new steam deck......ad.......dropped today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_0SnbF_MhU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ngl i thought the guy's hand tattoo might have been a nazi tattoo but thankfully it's just a "bagua" tao thing. phew

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1658870962895351811?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Essentially they are getting sued for the way they use haptics to simulate rumble or something.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

A new steam deck......ad.......dropped today
Are like half the people in that video playing Vampire Survivors?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

statistically accurate

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

minusX posted:

the people having blown out components from SSDs pulling too much power

Whoa, what is this?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Whoa, what is this?

One guy recently on reddit said this happened to him, but he was also on an airplane charging it in their USB slots

it's more likely that the plane got hit by lightning and oversurged the device, but the tech said it was due to the ssd, and reddit thought the tech was full of poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

One guy recently on reddit said this happened to him, but he was also on an airplane charging it in their USB slots

it's more likely that the plane got hit by lightning and oversurged the device, but the tech said it was due to the ssd, and reddit thought the tech was full of poo poo

*painfully*

I agree with reddit

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
drat I got that lovely fan and I really hate the sound it makes. We can change these?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tuyop posted:

drat I got that lovely fan and I really hate the sound it makes. We can change these?

Yeah, crack it open, take out the old fan and put another one in. Here's the part on iFixit.
https://store.ifixit.co.uk/products/steam-deck-fan

And here's the replacement guide.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+Fan+Replacement/148903

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/mundfish/status/1658860230606745601

atomic fart

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Today I learned that my beloved Tigress drops the Steam Deck more often than I'm aware of, but she doesn't tell me because I lose my poo poo.

While losing it is good for the bowels, I definitely have to figure out where to keep it, because I create the opportunities for it.

(I am back after a few months, I'll get back on the eurojank LP soon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
what