Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I recall it was mainly that they thought he looked better in yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I do recall watching the first couple of episodes of DS9 on Netflix and they looked like they were taken off a VHS tape. The quality improves later on.

Yeah we've discussed it ad nauseam but for the benefit of the newbie, rest assured that it does start to look better eventually, even though I wish it were HD or 4K. The first seasons' transfers are pretty rough, but later on it stops looking distractingly bad.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

yah, I thought the film test really didn't work with him in blue.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Angry Salami posted:

You'd think that, if Sisko's mission was to bring Bajor into the Federation, he'd at least get a diplomat or something. But it seems the Federation's negotiation strategy was to hang around in orbit and just hope the Bajorans would sign up.

Hell you think they would at least ensure the stations shields and guns were working. Or park a couple ships in orbit to discourage the hostile military power on the other side of the border. Or ensure that the computers were really wiped with no Cardassian backdoors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keep in that there were a lot of Bajorans paranoid about the Federation becoming another occupying force. Parking ships there at the start would've made things much worse. The Enterprise was allowed to come in, drop off a bunch of supplies and aid, and gently caress off.

Needing to get DS9 into shape is probably one reason they chose Sisko. He was a shipbuilder for a long time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 17, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also I don't think bajore was really that critical to the federation. Obviously they would like to have them as members, but having them be an allied or associate power would also work just fine.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, pre-Wormhole it's basically a station above a Planet of the Week from TNG

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yes before they discovered the wormhole, it's implied that the only reason the Federation is there is because Picard talked them into it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What, you don't think an agrarian society of religious fanatic terrorists is a good fit for the Federation?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Yes before they discovered the wormhole, it's implied that the only reason the Federation is there is because Picard talked them into it.

Sisko's first log explicitly says that Starfleet is there at the request of the Bajoran provisional government.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

And the Federation accepted because of Picard's experience with Bajor.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, once the wormhole was discovered, if Sisko hadn't been declared the Emissary, they would have put a much more seasoned Captain in charge.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

swickles posted:

Also, once the wormhole was discovered, if Sisko hadn't been declared the Emissary, they would have put a much more seasoned Captain in charge.

Seems like those goofy wormhole gods really knew what they were doing!

(they really didn't)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

swickles posted:

He was on the way out the door himself, seems like this was a punitive assignment though I'm not sure what Sisko did to earn it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Also you'd think they would be better off not annoying the locals by calling their system "Deep Space" anything. Bajor Station is probably better than that!

Plus one would think the "DS" moniker was for stations not even orbiting anything but like just randomly in the middle of... I don't know, deep space?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, no minister, it stands for "Dope Station". Because it's cool.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

jeeves posted:

Plus one would think the "DS" moniker was for stations not even orbiting anything but like just randomly in the middle of... I don't know, deep space?

Any space can be deep if you smoke enough pot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

He was on the way out the door himself, seems like this was a punitive assignment though I'm not sure what Sisko did to earn it.

Starfleet HR saw the guy whose wife got slaughtered by the Borg designing a Borg-killing ship and decided to move him along before he went postal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Starfleet HR saw the guy whose wife got slaughtered by the Borg designing a Borg-killing ship and decided to move him along before he went postal

lol

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

I think Sisko was just still at sea with the loss of his wife and single daddin' it. I don't think the assignment was punitive, just a difficult administrative one whereas ship designer probably requires a bit of passion while Sisko seemed burnt out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

Also you'd think they would be better off not annoying the locals by calling their system "Deep Space" anything. Bajor Station is probably better than that!

Deep Space means on or beyond Federation borders.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MikeJF posted:

"Hey guys, let's try to get Bajor eventually into the Federation! What should we call the new station that we will help them manage?"

"Podunk Place 9"

"...What?"

"Whywouldanyonelivehere 9"

"Wait, what?"

"Whogivesashitville 9"

"...We have 9 other of all three?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BFE 9

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Battle Field Earth 9?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MikeJF posted:

That's probably fair enough, though I do really like how Kira gives Bashir crap about his whole "Frontier Medicine!" schtick in one of those early episodes.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I thought the only thing that looked a bit off in the first few episodes of DS9 that I've seen was a couple shots of view screens and windows that were composited, probably just spoiled by the TNG recompositing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Boxturret posted:

I thought the only thing that looked a bit off in the first few episodes of DS9 that I've seen was a couple shots of view screens and windows that were composited, probably just spoiled by the TNG recompositing.

There’s a few in Emissary that look very shaky now (DS9 approach and Wolf 359 in Jennifer’s quarters come to mind), but I remember in ‘93 them being pretty “woah” compared to the static view screen shots of TNG, at least to me and my parents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Emissary might as well be "Ozymandias" when compared to Farpoint. I think it's probably the best pilot of the 4 series.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

Emissary might as well be "Ozymandias" when compared to Farpoint. I think it's probably the best pilot of the 4 series.

Easily, though Where No Man Has Gone Before is probably the best of TOS' three pilots (The Cage, Where No Man and The Man Trap).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think for the most part, the Federation was mostly being nice to Bajor by taking control of Deep Space 9, like what Kirk was trying to offer the Organians if they hadn't rejected him. Bajor gets a big friend to call when it's in trouble and to give it material aid, Starfleet gets a nice used space station and naval base, and the Federation gets to spread its influence, both having Bajor as a prospective future federation member and as a platform to deal with future Cardassian conflict/friendship.

I'm not sure how well that would've worked out if the commander Starfleet sent wasn't hailed as the messiah or just didn't gel with Bajor.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

yah, I thought the film test really didn't work with him in blue.

Didn't they also try hot pink or something similarly crazy for Data before settling to the yellow?

MikeJF posted:

...And it does not hurt that the makeup stains from hands and such don't show up that much on yellow uniform.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do we know about the other Deep Space stations, how many are converted facilities, how many did starfleet build from scratch, what's going on at Starbase 80

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

zoux posted:

What do we know about the other Deep Space stations, how many are converted facilities, how many did starfleet build from scratch, what's going on at Starbase 80

At least one of them was staffed by a single officer who didn't have the mental sophistication necessary to realize that a bunch of children probably did not orchestrate a complex attack on his station.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

At least one of them was staffed by a single officer who didn't have the mental sophistication necessary to realize that a bunch of children probably did not orchestrate a complex attack on his station.

This is star trek, you can't rule anything out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That was just a subspace relay station.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tunicate posted:

This is star trek, you can't rule anything out.

https://i.imgur.com/Fdycyms.mp4

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Angry Salami posted:

You'd think that, if Sisko's mission was to bring Bajor into the Federation, he'd at least get a diplomat or something. But it seems the Federation's negotiation strategy was to hang around in orbit and just hope the Bajorans would sign up.

Starfleet command staff are basically expected to be diplomats which is, uh, weird, but not having a dedicated one tracks with the rest of the shows. Captains do tons of diplomacy, admirals show up for the important (and evil) stuff. Presumably there are civilian diplomats who come in later to hash out the details, but the shows constantly imply that Federation captains are running around making big diplomatic decisions with only guidance from higher-ups.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

What, you don't think an agrarian society of religious fanatic terrorists is a good fit for the Federation?
They took the Irish

But yeah if no wormhole: sleepy backwater post. If no emissary: they probably put someone else in charge and get disinvited a few months later. Eventual Dominion victory.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 17, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

but the shows constantly imply that Federation captains are running around making big diplomatic decisions with only guidance from higher-ups.

Well, that came from TOS when they seemed to operate at a much greater distance and where even messages took a while, they were on their own.

And also because of the heavy inspiration from Horatio Hornblower, where you had these captains representing their home nations on the other side of the world a many months journey away but having to make choices that could drag them into war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Starfleet command staff are basically expected to be diplomats which is, uh, weird, but not having a dedicated one tracks with the rest of the shows. Captains do tons of diplomacy, admirals show up for the important (and evil) stuff. Presumably there are civilian diplomats who come in later to hash out the details, but the shows constantly imply that Federation captains are running around making big diplomatic decisions with only guidance from higher-ups.

It is understandable that the first contact ships are stuff like Galaxy which in addition of being a floating city is basically a huge battleship/mobile starbase in case they run into some local cluster Space Russia that only respects the "you really do not want to gently caress with us"-approach. The larger ships can also sustain themselves on longer cruises to establish main routes of expansion and exploration and then the second wave fleet comes in later.

Why the captain is also the first contact expert well, that's Star Trek. And starfleet before first contact with the Borg wasn't really a military beyond some security elements that were cut from the ST6. The fleet operations stuff became prominent when the Dominion war happened, before that it was random skirmishes with Klingon and Romulan mostly on ship-to-ship basis.