Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's something to be said about trying to cultivate a game with a meta where people are assumed to not own every single card, but I don't think it's worth the tradeoff for making people really hate not having certain cards & not being able to easily obtain them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jedit posted:

Those charts were all very reasonable predictions if you took the basic assumption that the oldest cards would cycle down first, and up to a point that's actually been what happened. Nobody was "getting cocky" in any way other than assuming this wouldn't change.

“Getting cocky” in that they expected consistency and transparency from the developer who had been pretty good about these things for a while. It’s basically the beginning of bad decisions designed to gouge the community, the discord was on fire basically, they’ve destroyed a lot of trust. How do you know how to spend your ultra-rare and hyper-expensive (more than $1=100 tokens) currency when the devs may go “lol actually, that’s series 3 next month” or one card dominates the meta and they just let it luxuriate in S4.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No Wave posted:

I'd blame those websites and the players spreading them for getting way too cocky. I was seeing detailed future drop calendars with projections of the exact month iron lad would be S3 uncritically spread around.

It's not like they were theory-crafting or making baseless predictions. It was how it happened until that point and it was correct until they changed the system.

I can predict when my in-game shop changes, when I get 2 new quests, when the weekly rewards resets, etc. That doesn't mean they can't change it for whatever reason, but until they do I can assume that things happen like they have happened before!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sandwolf posted:

“Getting cocky” in that they expected consistency and transparency from the developer who had been pretty good about these things for a while. It’s basically the beginning of bad decisions designed to gouge the community, the discord was on fire basically, they’ve destroyed a lot of trust. How do you know how to spend your ultra-rare and hyper-expensive (more than $1=100 tokens) currency when the devs may go “lol actually, that’s series 3 next month” or one card dominates the meta and they just let it luxuriate in S4.
Trust? What trust? These devs put a 7+ power 1 cost on the paid battle pass lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sandwolf posted:

It’s basically the beginning of bad decisions designed to gouge the community,

Their slow walking back of the lovely token system has worked wonders if people see this as the first bad move. The entire system was designed to gouge the community and they've been giving crumbs to make it more palatable and keep people playing.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t really have a problem if they drop certain cards faster than others. For example, something like Snowguard shouldn’t stay above Series 3 for that long because it’s bad. But I can see why they would hold back others longer that are more important meta cards.

This just creates fomo and rewards people with faster climbs to infinite that get the good cards early. It can make the game feel really pay to win if it's drop $20 on token Tuesday bundles to get enough tokens to buy the two key S4/S5 cards for the top meta deck to climb the ranks faster.

I don't mind there being slightly rarer cards, but I'd want the timer for series 4 brought down so you see those cards a bit more often. Right now there's one series 4 card shuffled into each set of 40 reserves, if that were cut to every 30 reserves it might help?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The token system is literally the game's revenue model. They invented it when their previous model, nexus events, was too hated.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I said it once upthread, and I'll say it again: the problem isn't the decision. The problem is the implementation of the decision at the same time it was announced.

If this update's language had been along the lines of "Starting next month, we'll be evaluating the drops of cards into lower series on a card by card basis. Card will drop from S5 to S4 to S3 when we think the meta is ready, and some cards will release straight to S4 or S3", but Darkhawk and Knull had dropped, I think people would be a lot less angry about the change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Once you are Series 3 complete the game gives you a lot of tokens. They’ve made it much easier to get them now, even if you don’t pay for the season pass

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No Wave posted:

The token system is literally the game's revenue model. They invented it when their previous model, nexus events, was too hated.

Oh, well in that case everyone can move along then.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Once you are Series 3 complete the game gives you a lot of tokens. They’ve made it much easier to get them now, even if you don’t pay for the season pass

No you don’t, and no they haven’t?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

No Wave posted:

Trust? What trust? These devs put a 7+ power 1 cost on the paid battle pass lol.

It really symbolizes how contrarian-to-a-fault you are that Nebula is worth attacking because they’re tryna get $10 out of you, but the decision to be able to gate ANY card at their leisure is A-OK.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

It really symbolizes how contrarian-to-a-fault you are that Nebula is worth attacking because they’re tryna get $10 out of you, but the decision to be able to gate ANY card at their leisure is A-OK.
Darkhawk is a card they've tried to balance and havent gotten it right yet, Nebula is a card intentionally released broken that everyone knows will get toned down when its no longer for sale. And sure, "you can be mad about different things", but people are only mad about the one thing. I posted because I truly did not understand the mindset, I'll try to do better and have the same feelings as reddit next time.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

No Wave posted:

Darkhawk is a card they've tried to balance and havent gotten it right yet, Nebula is a card intentionally released broken that everyone knows will get toned down when its no longer for sale. And sure, "you can be mad about different things", but people are only mad about the one thing.

Nebula cost, maximum, $10. Darkhawk has no maximum spend amount to try to acquire, but the minimum is like, $70 for that Squirrel Girl bundle = 5000 tokens, $100 for that Collector bundle = 10000 tokens.

Why is one attempt to manipulate the community to spending money bad to you but the other one isn’t, it’s the same tactic, but you’re defending the expensive one

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

See, theres our disagreement. My tokens usually cost $0. And again, I do not interpret this drop change as being done to compel people to spend, I see it being done to prevent two cards with excessive playrates from going even higher before they figure out where we're at balance-wise after the wave change.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 17, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

No Wave posted:

See, theres our disagreement. My tokens usually cost $0. And again, I do not interpret this drop change as being done to compel people to spend, I see it being done to prevent two cards with excessive playrates from going even higher before they figure out where we're at balance-wise after the wave change.

Okay but surely you can acknowledge that there are folks who want to play the meta deck and will be compelled to spend some money to help get them the tokens necessary to acquire the card?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I know we are all being mad about the predatory monetization of this game right now but I just want to reiterate to other casual players that the easiest way to rank up without playing a ton, at least for me, is to take the special location days seriously and play for fun on the regular days, backwards from what I feel like it would be honestly

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think that goes back to 'yes, the devs want people to be incentivized to spend money on the game now instead of waiting and getting things for cheaper/free eventually'

getting pushed to spend money that you'd rather not pay sucks but also it's literally how they make money off the game and it's not something they'll scrap

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

flatluigi posted:

I think that goes back to 'yes, the devs want people to be incentivized to spend money on the game now instead of waiting and getting things for cheaper/free eventually'

getting pushed to spend money that you'd rather not pay sucks but also it's literally how they make money off the game and it's not something they'll scrap

Bitching publicly about these things is how folks got them to eliminate their disastrous nexus events thing. It is our duty to complain about this and let them know it’s not OK.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think the main problem with the current way of doing the card acquisition is that it really discourages new players. They're making it so that you don't get any of the good big cards until you've been playing for a while, but new players aren't going to be very interested in doing that when they keep getting their asses kicked by cards they don't really have a chance of owning themselves.
So the game is just going to shed existing players as they get bored and move on, but won't have new blood to replace them

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

cinnamon rollout posted:

I know we are all being mad about the predatory monetization of this game right now but I just want to reiterate to other casual players that the easiest way to rank up without playing a ton, at least for me, is to take the special location days seriously and play for fun on the regular days, backwards from what I feel like it would be honestly

Tell me more. Ive seen this mentioned casually by a streamers chat or two as well. Some players strictly focus on featured location days and hit infinite then other days for fun as youve said

How are you taking advantage of today's location

ive hit infinite enough to where I dont play just to hit it anymore thankfully but ive also lost a lot of interest outside of just hitting dailies until High Evo or whatever new fun looking card is coming

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 17, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Opopanax posted:

I think the main problem with the current way of doing the card acquisition is that it really discourages new players. They're making it so that you don't get any of the good big cards until you've been playing for a while, but new players aren't going to be very interested in doing that when they keep getting their asses kicked by cards they don't really have a chance of owning themselves.
So the game is just going to shed existing players as they get bored and move on, but won't have new blood to replace them

New players are fine, series 1 and series 2 are closed systems. You can't match outside of them, the card pools for both are relatively balanced even early on in the pool before you have much of the current pool.

Series 2 -> 3 is definitely a scary cliff for players and this system doesn't make it any easier, but you're not a new player at that point. To hit series 3 you're at collection level 486 and have put a lot of time into the game already.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The transition from s2 matchmaking to s3 must be extremely terrifying now. Hell it was scary as hell a couple months ago when I did it and it's gotta be way worse now

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This drop alone added a full 2 weeks to the pool3 completion grind. Its pretty darn rough out there.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Chainclaw posted:

To hit series 3 you're at collection level 486 and have put a lot of time into the game already.

Yeah I'm at CL100 right now and the idea of hitting CL486 is crazy to me. I don't even know what S4 drops or tokens means. I just want the cassette tape cardback.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Power of Pecota posted:

I will say I liked being able to represent ranks by like "92.2" rather than "92.285714286"

You can still say 92.2 if you want, it just maxes out at 92.6.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

They really need to start adding some cards to the Series 1 and 2 pool

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Marx Headroom posted:

I just want the cassette tape cardback.

This is easily the best cardback they've put out in months.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

the_american_dream posted:

Tell me more. Ive seen this mentioned casually by a streamers chat or two as well. Some players strictly focus on featured location days and hit infinite then other days for fun as youve said

How are you taking advantage of today's location

ive hit infinite enough to where I dont play just to hit it anymore thankfully but ive also lost a lot of interest outside of just hitting dailies until High Evo or whatever new fun looking card is coming

Devil dino has won me the location almost every match today, Dr doom has sealed a lot of games for me too.
I imagine a deck that takes advantage of Jeff would do a good job today too

Edit: I've gained thirty ranks this season just playing the morning of the various hot locations, and a little in the evenings. I've gained about ten ranks with all my other playing. Hot locations are where it's at, at least for me

cinnamon rollout fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 17, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KazigluBey posted:

"Balancing" via scarcity is giving up on balance while also tacitly stating that the rich (and lucky) should be allowed to have cards that aren't where they should be balance-wise.

"The card is overpowered but because only whales and some lucky people have it, it's fine" is dogshit.

I think everyone is looking at this backwards.

They know people will spend their tokens (which can be earned freely from the CL track) on strong or build-around cards. They know that people won't do that for niche cards like Sentry. So, they're dropping those cards faster so that people will get to try them out sooner rather than just having to wait a long time.

I do think that if they wanted to show good faith regarding the monetization, they could prevent people from ever buying tokens with money. Get them on the CL track by playing every day, or don't get 'em at all!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
At CL 4800 I got a P5 from a collector's reserve for the first time. At a time when there are a ton of good and interesting P5 cards, I drew Snowhawk.

For what it's worth, I see far more Darkhawk being played than Nebula. It's crummy that they decided to hold Darkhawk out of Pool 3, but for my money the bigger problem, by far, is the amount of garbage they're shoveling into P3 without increasing the way to churn through said garbage. The game is so much about having the right combination of cards, and P3 is so vast, that people starting off today have a very long wait before they can put together a deck that looks like anything.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah I don’t think anyone concerned about new players is thinking about p1/p2 players. The minute you get to p3 things are dire.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hot locations are exploitable if you build around them because a lot of players don't and bots especially will never win there.

Most infinite players make ~50% of their cube gain from bot games despite bots making up less than 15% of games for them.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I remember a few months ago when I started and posted in this thread often I was all in on location themed decks. Then once my CL and MMR raised everyone just played location changing cards right away so I gave up.

Have a dino deck I enjoy so seems like a natural fit

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bottom Liner posted:

Hot locations are exploitable if you build around them because a lot of players don't and bots especially will never win there.

Most infinite players make ~50% of their cube gain from bot games despite bots making up less than 15% of games for them.
That feels very true, it's always a toss-up against a real opponent, but if you get good at recognizing bots and capitalizing, it's much easier to get high cube counts. One 8-point win might be the equivalent of 20-40 human matches for 1-2 cubes with normal win rates.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
That's why peak day was the best. The bots all snapped on turn 5 with 2 lanes under control while you had a massive turn 6 play coming up

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

cinnamon rollout posted:

Devil dino has won me the location almost every match today, Dr doom has sealed a lot of games for me too.
I imagine a deck that takes advantage of Jeff would do a good job today too

Edit: I've gained thirty ranks this season just playing the morning of the various hot locations, and a little in the evenings. I've gained about ten ranks with all my other playing. Hot locations are where it's at, at least for me

I've been playing discard and I've found that ignoring it is also a viable option. Let them waste cards on it, I'll take the other 2. Either that or drop Dracula on it if you've got a solid Apocalypse ready to go.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Just gonna chime in that all my poo poo is sucking pretty hard right now except Sera Surfer and also Shadow King is absolutely feasting right now. Won multiple games directly because of him today. Everyone's playing bounce bullshit so Shadow King, Killmonger and Negasonic are all three just wrecking poo poo all over. The key is obviously dropping priority and I'm thinking of slotting in Ghost to maintain this while still dropping cards.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Aren't there three basic styles of bots? Ones that just play to fill a slot, ones that play to lose, and ones that play to win? I think the developers have said the play to lose ones cheat and pick cards after your play to try and make sure they lose.

Bot deck variety has really improved recently, which is nice. It's not all that bad move deck anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm not convinced bots exist in the way you guys describe. I sure as hell never play against anyone gunning to lose.