Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
I've only just finished the main story of HW and while I think HW is a better story than ARR the larger distinction, for me, was how the story is conveyed. It's much better paced, the occasional narration lends it the feel of a fantasy epic, and story sequences have more motion to them. It's still limited by its MMO format but those limitations feel less significant on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/mitsurugi137/status/1658872473499365376?s=20

psychos. wtf

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I feel like having the summoner and red mage healing and resurrecting everyone isn't in the spirit of a no healers run.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its no healers, not no heals

no healing at all would make it kind of impossible

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know it's not an original thought, and I have no idea about the numbers involved, but they really need to rebalance ARR / its postgame to be part of the overall Main Storyline Questline better.

That and allow you to, through some Dr Who bullshit, do the other two starting city's lv 01-10 quest line as those are kinda important in terms of establishing the other two city states.

The difficult part is what to cut. It's slow, it's plodding, but it's also meat. They already cut most of the pointless busywork that didn't have story attached to it (endless prep for leaving the Waking Sands for example where all you lose is people saying "moving is tough"). We can look back and say "this bit was a runaround for no main plot progress" but there was other worldbuilding going on there. If you cut Company of Heroes you also cut Brayflox and the idea that people have fought primals and it hurt the strongest of them enough they try to discourage anyone else from dying and throw a feast in their honor. If you cut "oh no that's the wrong crystal" you also lose Pharos Sirius and the grim punchline to a joke told in 1.0.

ARR is a bunch of little stories all over Eorzea that eventually come together into the main plotline. I think if it was being written fresh with some magical hindsight it could be tighter and better, but I don't think you can edit it much more than it already is without a complete rewrite.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also means no healer LB3 which means they gotta do some whacky poo poo to get around that it looks like.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

They could put an aetheryte in Vesper Bay, that'd make ARR less plodding

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Kerrzhe posted:

also means no healer LB3 which means they gotta do some whacky poo poo to get around that it looks like.
There's stuff with covering the casters so they don't die to the raidwides and subsequent debuffs. Cool to see them figure ways around the mechanics.

Everyone having weakness and no resources means it's still a last second clear though.

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 17, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bruceski posted:

If you cut "oh no that's the wrong crystal" you also lose Pharos Sirius and the grim punchline to a joke told in 1.0.

What's the joke?

Also, man, PS Normal remains one of the worst dungeons in the game. It's one of the ones I load into and just expect a couple of wipes, right next to the goddamn Mist Dragon in the Burn.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get that. Conversely having to grind to fifty for ARR (2.0's) endgame and then being twenty levels down for Hw's classes is a frustrating thing.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Mr. Neutron posted:

Comments like this are exactly why I want to keep going.

And these:

So far there is absolutely nothing suggesting the story is about to become interesting, but I haven't even made it to the first expansion. I will definitely at least play through it.

We go through this every single time somebody starts going through ARR, and the usual talking points have already been brought up. However I would like to add that despite 10 years of moaning from the player base, there is a reason the length of the ARR main story questline has not decreased that much and in some instances has grown (The Crystal Tower Alliance Raid questline was originally optional, but it is now mandatory, if you haven't done it yet you should probably get on that when you have the chance before the game stops you and makes you do it.). It is the foundation upon which the house that is the FFXIV story rests on. Sure it is somewhat boring and predicable, but without it the rest of the house collapses on itself.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

What's the joke?

In the 1.0 ... blacksmith questline I think, you were dealing with sailors disappearing and worries that Siren had shown up. You get there and it's a massive secret rave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kQeZNsnL0&t=664s (the lead-up quests were making earplugs, which is why the sound is odd)

Go back in ARR and surprise! It's actually Siren and everyone's dead!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't remember what the Trial in 2.5 was.

I didn't like Endwalker, but loved Shadowbringers. Heavenward and Stormblood weren't bad (HW was better than StB).

Basically, everyone will have different opinions about the best expansion. They're all good in their own way, though, even Endwalker.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

No one does

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Chrysalis, there's a hint that doesn't spoil anything and might jar memories.

If not: Nabriales

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

quiggy posted:

They could put an aetheryte in Vesper Bay, that'd make ARR less plodding

It is just an 80 gil boat ride from Limsa lower decks, but tbf it took me a little while to internalize that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You also get a stack of Vesper Bay teleport tickets which I think is enough to cover all the MSQ-required trips to the place before you unlock flying.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

FuturePastNow posted:

You also get a stack of Vesper Bay teleport tickets which I think is enough to cover all the MSQ-required trips to the place before you unlock flying.

Yeah I recorded a count when I replayed the MSQ on an alt, you get more than enough tickets

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Chrysalis, there's a hint that doesn't spoil anything and might jar memories.

If not: Nabriales

Nope. Still don't remember.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arist posted:

FFXIV is a marathon. I know a guy who got all the way to Shadowbringers in a month or two of playing, started the expansion, and went "I don't really get what the buzz is about so far" at around 1/3 through and I had to tell him it was a slow build.

Anyway, a few weeks later I saw him post a tattoo he got of the Shadowbringers logo.

shadowbringers ftw lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there an in-game story explanation for getting those tickets lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If there was I missed it. But at that point in the game I was skimming the dialogue if it wasn't an obviously important cutscene.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

I feel like having the summoner and red mage healing and resurrecting everyone isn't in the spirit of a no healers run.

SMN "healing" is entirely incidental due to it coming out during the phoenix phase. The RDM did cast quite a few Vercures, but the DNC did more actual healing than the SMN and RDM combined. If you look at "Healing Done By Source" on fflogs the SMN and RDM are #6 and #7 in that group, only above the monk. Granted "healing" also includes mitigation, but both PLDs have far more healing done with Clemency than either the SMN or the RDM.

I do enjoy the reddit posters, that have clearly never stepped foot into savage, complaining about how healers need to GCD heal and because it isn't require that this is bad game design.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

Yeah I recorded a count when I replayed the MSQ on an alt, you get more than enough tickets

I love these because they reward people who actually read tooltips and item descriptions.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Theris posted:

I love these because they reward people who actually read tooltips and item descriptions.

That one quest with a key item description like "this is a stick. Why did you pick this up?"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i never got any tickets. back in my day we ran down that railroad track from Horizon! on foot!! :bahgawd:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Why would you go to Horizon? Vesper Bay is in Limsa Lominsa.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there an in-game story explanation for getting those tickets lol

Yeah Tartaru grabs you by the scruff of the neck and growls "Don't ask too many questions newbie"

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Any new player who found ARR to be a grueling slog should pick up DRK the moment they rock up in Ishgard for some much-needed catharsis.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 17, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ojjeorago posted:

because i didn't know this until stormblood!!!!!!!!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bruceski posted:

The difficult part is what to cut. It's slow, it's plodding, but it's also meat. They already cut most of the pointless busywork that didn't have story attached to it (endless prep for leaving the Waking Sands for example where all you lose is people saying "moving is tough"). We can look back and say "this bit was a runaround for no main plot progress" but there was other worldbuilding going on there. If you cut Company of Heroes you also cut Brayflox and the idea that people have fought primals and it hurt the strongest of them enough they try to discourage anyone else from dying and throw a feast in their honor. If you cut "oh no that's the wrong crystal" you also lose Pharos Sirius and the grim punchline to a joke told in 1.0.

ARR is a bunch of little stories all over Eorzea that eventually come together into the main plotline. I think if it was being written fresh with some magical hindsight it could be tighter and better, but I don't think you can edit it much more than it already is without a complete rewrite.

They don't need to cut any whole quests, but a great way to cut a few steps would be if Minfilia had e-mail.

Honestly there's still quests all the way into Endwalker that could use some serious step reduction. One of the Reaper story quests was literally "Talk to Drusila" in four different locations in a row, no fights, not even clicking on an object. Just meet Drusila here, here, here, and back at the first here again.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 17, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ojjeorago posted:

it depends on your load times as to which is faster. loading into the limsa plaza can be slow on bad hardware.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Depends on load times. Some of us don't have SSDs.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hell, Limsa can be slow to load even on an SSD at times. Especially if you're using texture mods.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Bloody Pom posted:

Hell, Limsa can be slow to load even on an SSD at times. Especially if you're using texture mods.

"Textures"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

theironjef posted:

They don't need to cut any whole quests, but a great way to cut a few steps would be if Minfilia had e-mail.

Given that linkshells exist in-fiction I really don't understand why there are so many times, especially in ARR, that you have to travel somewhere for a brief one-on-one conversation.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

quiggy posted:

Given that linkshells exist in-fiction I really don't understand why there are so many times, especially in ARR, that you have to travel somewhere for a brief one-on-one conversation.

It's not secure communication. Garleans for example can and do listen in.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

"Textures"

It's just hair and face textures, honest. I got sick of my head being a pixelated mess :shobon:

Yes my monitor is turned on.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

mikemil828 posted:

Huh, I must've missed that. Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

mikemil828 posted:

Hell, aren't there multiple instances of the Garleans actively jamming linkpearl communications? Purposefully even!