Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

PhotoKirk posted:

I usually get dropped with the enemy reinforcements directly behind my lance, THEN get the warning about reinforcements.

Thanks, Summer, thanks a lot...

My only grumpy quit and restart a mission so far was getting dropped into that situation and 2 of my mechs getting killed through rear shots even with the start of mission evasion. Just after the screenshot I got the there might be reinforcements and there might be turrets warnings, while staring at both :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hmm. Might have been sleeping on hvac/5s

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I think I have my feet under me now, and I'm continuing to run amok in ghost bear planets.

What I find a bit hard to figure out is the best way to get certain guns and mechs. The wiki shows which mechs have a gun, and the page for the mech shows which force might deploy that mech, and then I just have to pray it shows up?

Seems slightly awkward. Likewise the inability to load Endo-Steel on the mechs I love.

I'm also wondering if the only way to get a Hazard (for instance) is to fly to Circinius and either Ally or Explode them for a dozen missions.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you're running BTA, there are 4 community content store planets that sell all the weird guns.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mile'ionaha posted:

I think I have my feet under me now, and I'm continuing to run amok in ghost bear planets.

What I find a bit hard to figure out is the best way to get certain guns and mechs. The wiki shows which mechs have a gun, and the page for the mech shows which force might deploy that mech, and then I just have to pray it shows up?

Seems slightly awkward. Likewise the inability to load Endo-Steel on the mechs I love.

I'm also wondering if the only way to get a Hazard (for instance) is to fly to Circinius and either Ally or Explode them for a dozen missions.

Yes, if you're looking for specific things your primary way of getting it if it's not found in a faction store or a factory world is to simply fight the faction that fields that thing and hope it shows up.

They made a decision to keep endosteel as a fixed thing because 1. it adds more variety between 'mechs and variants and 2. from a lore standpoint the skeleton is literally the central core of the 'mech so it's probably the least sensical thing to allow you to wholesale modify, like modding a car by changing the entire body frame.

The Hazard is Circinus only, with the sole exception that there is a hero Hazard you can get for doing enough medium gameworld missions but there's like 30 potential medium hero mechs so the odds are very low.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We are all following Lamplighters, right? I presume it's a bit early for a thread but all the previews are being super gushing.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Mile'ionaha posted:

Specific factory worlds will always have specific items in stock otherwise its grind the faction that drops it or hope you get lucky with the black market.

quote:

They made a decision to keep endosteel as a fixed thing because 1. it adds more variety between 'mechs and variants and 2. from a lore standpoint the skeleton is literally the central core of the 'mech so it's probably the least sensical thing to allow you to wholesale modify, like modding a car by changing the entire body frame.
If it let me fit an AC/20 I'd consider swapping out the frame of my car...

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

On one hand RogueTech does allow swapping out structure for most mechs, including LAMs, but on the other it's even harder to hunt for specific equipment in it. Well maybe it's not that bad since the loot tables seem to have more equipment than in BTA, but it only has limited store selection if you aren't playing on the online map.

It does also cost a good deal of money to swap it out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Alchenar posted:

We are all following Lamplighters, right? I presume it's a bit early for a thread but all the previews are being super gushing.

It seems pretty far along, I assume it's coming out this year so a thread doesn't seem premature to me. I'm really looking forward to it in any case.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What now

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Next HBS game. Has any sort of date or release window been mentioned yet?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Not yet. They've hit the point of releasing a steady stream of preview content so probably that last phase of content/balance passes and bug stomping before it shapes up enough that they pick a release window. It's also a game pass game so Microsoft may have a say.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah to me it feels like they've put off revealing its existence until it's pretty much nearly ready to ship. They'll have been working on it for ages as well, Battletech was 2018 afterall.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm still sad/mad that they said "no we're not even considering another battletech game". HBS Battletech is like the platonic ideal of "fantastic first entry in a franchise but has a lot of little issues that can only really be ironed out in a sequel".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They had to license from PGI, who is already licensing from Microsoft.

It's possible PGI was just asking too much.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

drat you PGI, is there anything you won't ruin?

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Reinstalling after not playing for a good long while, what's the current mod scene look like these days, what mods do all the cool kids use?

I remember roguetech being a thing but it was kind of a bit much so I used something that added some extra mechs and gear without being a complete overhaul, can't remember what it was called though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Machado de Assis posted:

Reinstalling after not playing for a good long while, what's the current mod scene look like these days, what mods do all the cool kids use?

I remember roguetech being a thing but it was kind of a bit much so I used something that added some extra mechs and gear without being a complete overhaul, can't remember what it was called though.

The three big mods, in terms of extra stuff and wildness, are roguetech, battletech advanced 3062, and battletech extended

(RT, BTA, BEX)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’ve been playing bta3062

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
gently caress PGI forever for ruining mechwarrior/battletech computer games for a decade.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Organ Fiend posted:

gently caress PGI forever for ruining mechwarrior/battletech computer games for a decade.

:hmmyes:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

What's wrong with PGI? I put more time into Mechwarrior Online than basically thing but HBS Battletech combined, and I've played a lot of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries, Mech Commander 1 and 2, Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, Mech Assault 1, and some of most other Battletech/Mechwarrior games.

Mechwarrior 5 is also an OK game that's great for the price of "it comes with the game pass subscription I already have", specifically if you're playing with 4 player full cooperative play.

Also PGI's art style for the mechs definitely beats nearly any other game's visual style. I think MWO really pushed the look of the mechs in a way I like a lot.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
PGI are poor stewards who seem to resent their playerbase.

For instance, the MWO community has been complaining about the matchmaking for years. One of the PGI community managers responded by making tweaks to the matchmaker without telling anyone, then revealed this on a podcast and suggested player complaints about matchmaker were unfounded because he didn't receive any feedback about his secret tweaks.

They don't seem interested in making improvements or growing the playerbase and repeatedly call Mechwarrior a niche franchise as an excuse for their lovely revenue.

Overall PGI gives me a strong impression of a parking lot where a handful of failed MBAs wring out a steady living.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chainclaw posted:

What's wrong with PGI?

They overhyped what they were actually making (a World of Warships clone with no thought put into game balance), and they made it clear from moment one that they were in it entirely for the money.

Their art department is good and I like a fair number of Alex's redesigns, but a lot of their 'Mech models deviated from those redesigns and are pretty big misses for me. They made a lot of 'Mechs really unnecessarily wide (like the Centurion and the Fatlas) and blunt (Timber Wolf, Mad Dog (and don't even get me started on their insistance on square lasers loving up the Mad Dog's lines)) and their actual models weren't articulated very well which left their arms permanently fixed at 90 degree angles. Coupled with the way none of their 'Mechs can turn their heads (and had their heads fused to their torsos as a result), and a lot of their humanoid designs have this hunched-over appearance that makes them look like they're really struggling to take a poo poo.

And then there were the $500 golden Clan 'Mechs.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I do agree with you about PGI designs being awesome though. I happen to think their Hunchback is the most pure Battletech looking mech ever made

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I probably put a few hundred hours into the game and sure it could have seen improvements but it was good enough for stomping around in mechs.

Some of those complaints seem super specific, I don't think you can turn the head in any Mechwarrior game? And I don't think it would materially make the game better/worse.

And for $500 garbage, that bullshit is in most modern free to play games. There are a lot of people with more money than sense, look at the people spending several thousand dollars a month on Clash of Clans.

Matchmaking was dumb and bad, but we'd still have enough fun with the game when we'd play.

It's not like there were shining quality games before PGI came along, MWO was definitely better than average for a Mechwarrior game, but the bar wasn't super high for the franchise, especially the competitive multiplayer. I really didn't care for Mechwarrior 3's online play.

edit: ^^^ Yeah the visuals in MWO do all the heavy lifting. Basically the draw of the game is "look at these cool rear end looking mechs"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Were you a backer? Because I was. I was in the game something like $500 from the word 'go.' I never felt like it returned on that investment and MWO is the reason I almost never spend money on early access games these days.

I'm glad you had fun with it, but PGI promised a game they ultimately never delivered on. If they'd marketed it as PVP team deathmatch from the start I'd have been much happier with final product. If they hadn't pushed it up to 12v12 and had kept the 8v8 they initially balanced for (which scales fairly nicely to 8v5 IS vs. Clan) I'd have been much happier with it. If their pricing scheme hadn't been so predatory, if their balancing hadn't been "make the new poo poo OP then nerf it the moment it becomes available for in game currency," if their leadership showed any indication of wanting to make a good game rather than wanting to make something cheap and low effort they could use to farm money? I'd have been much happier with it.

It's death by a thousand cuts, with PGI's leadership consistently asking "what's the quickest, laziest, lowest-effort way for us to minimally achieve [goal]." MWO is a minimum viable product that never developed beyond its minimum viability. It is just enough of a game, that suggests hidden depths to its mechanics (which don't exist), for people to spend money on. And then the sunk cost fallacy keeps them spending because you can't fully upgrade your new Crusader without the extra 20% or whatever c-bill bonus from premium time and...

Chainclaw posted:

And for $500 garbage, that bullshit is in most modern free to play games.

This is true but it's also the reason why I don't play any Freemium games. gently caress that phone app money-farming bullshit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I remember the ghost heat scandal, which was the first instance I can recall of PGI directly lying to the playerbase about how something stupid worked and only grudgingly admitting to it after people dumped a bunch of exhaustive testing on the forums.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

I remember the ghost heat scandal, which was the first instance I can recall of PGI directly lying to the playerbase about how something stupid worked and only grudgingly admitting to it after people dumped a bunch of exhaustive testing on the forums.

It’s also a garbage design bandaid regardless of the lying

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PoptartsNinja posted:

They had to license from PGI, who is already licensing from Microsoft.

It's possible PGI was just asking too much.

You sure about that? I seem to recall at the time HBS licensed directly from Microsoft, but I could be getting that confused with people who mistakenly thought PGI owned the MechWarrior license outright for some reason.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Were you a backer? Because I was. I was in the game something like $500 from the word 'go.' I never felt like it returned on that investment and MWO is the reason I almost never spend money on early access games these days.

I'm glad you had fun with it, but PGI promised a game they ultimately never delivered on. If they'd marketed it as PVP team deathmatch from the start I'd have been much happier with final product. If they hadn't pushed it up to 12v12 and had kept the 8v8 they initially balanced for (which scales fairly nicely to 8v5 IS vs. Clan) I'd have been much happier with it. If their pricing scheme hadn't been so predatory, if their balancing hadn't been "make the new poo poo OP then nerf it the moment it becomes available for in game currency," if their leadership showed any indication of wanting to make a good game rather than wanting to make something cheap and low effort they could use to farm money? I'd have been much happier with it.

It's death by a thousand cuts, with PGI's leadership consistently asking "what's the quickest, laziest, lowest-effort way for us to minimally achieve [goal]." MWO is a minimum viable product that never developed beyond its minimum viability. It is just enough of a game, that suggests hidden depths to its mechanics (which don't exist), for people to spend money on. And then the sunk cost fallacy keeps them spending because you can't fully upgrade your new Crusader without the extra 20% or whatever c-bill bonus from premium time and...

This is true but it's also the reason why I don't play any Freemium games. gently caress that phone app money-farming bullshit.

Yeah I have a founders catapult or whatever. I think I just backed at the one mech level.

I would say their game is more than MVP level. There are plenty of other free to play games with less content than MWO, especially in the prime era of MWO. MWO was way better than Hawken, for example. MWO never put a bit coin mining thing in their launcher like Super Monday Night Combat. Like MWO has problems, but the bar for multiplayer PC gaming was extremely low in the mid '10s.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

You sure about that?

Fairly sure. HBS was sub-licensing the license in some fashion, which is why they were able to use PGI's 'Mech designs keeping everything consistent and saving HBS a design step. In return PGI got the HBS tanks to upscale for MW5. IIRC about the time MW5 came out Microsoft was reconsidering their license to PGI, which could also be why HBS didn't want to jump right back into that pool.

Best case scenario for me would be Paradox buying the Mechwarrior license from Microsoft, but I dunno how likely that is. I can't see Microsoft ever giving up an occasioanlly-profitable license and my dreams of a Crusader Kings-esque BattleTech game will probably never get met, even if I hear they do really enjoy heavy metal in Sweeden.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fairly sure. HBS was sub-licensing the license in some fashion, which is why they were able to use PGI's 'Mech designs keeping everything consistent and saving HBS a design step. In return PGI got the HBS tanks to upscale for MW5. IIRC about the time MW5 came out Microsoft was reconsidering their license to PGI, which could also be why HBS didn't want to jump right back into that pool.

Best case scenario for me would be Paradox buying the Mechwarrior license from Microsoft, but I dunno how likely that is. I can't see Microsoft ever giving up an occasioanlly-profitable license and my dreams of a Crusader Kings-esque BattleTech game will probably never get met, even if I hear they do really enjoy heavy metal in Sweeden.

That would be so good and the inner sphere craves a map game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They could use more weapon design variety for the modular weapon stuff (or any, so it's not just a billion square lasers sticking out of stuff) and some of the mechs look a little janky compared to the concept art but largely the modern mech designs are pretty rad

I've never played MWO, it looked like a money trap

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Captain Foo posted:

That would be so good and the inner sphere craves a map game

The way one dynasty controls each faction since forever and into perpetuity really does lend itself a bit to that.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The main Paradox game I play is Surviving Mars, so when you say you want Paradox to put out a Battletech game all I can imagine is: things like a $5 gauss rifle expansion, with Mostly Negative user reviews "Doesn't even work, you can't equip the rifles on any mechs"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chainclaw posted:

The main Paradox game I play is Surviving Mars, so when you say you want Paradox to put out a Battletech game all I can imagine is: things like a $5 gauss rifle expansion, with Mostly Negative user reviews "Doesn't even work, you can't equip the rifles on any mechs"

Well no I’ll buy it 4 years after it comes out wir the essential dlc pack or w/e

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Enjoy a classic timeline:
https://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/250736/Mechwarrior-Online-Mismanaging-Expectations#varsdate=2011-10-23_13:32:00

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I bought in a full founders pack and the next pack (the one with the BLR and other unseen) and got fed up with PGIs handling of the game before that second pack was delivered. I don't consider it fully wasted as I got to use those designs for countless hours in HBS, but if not for that it would have been a loss.

Two things I will give PGI massive credit for is it's part finally defeating Harmony Gold and hiring FlyingDebris to refresh the art style to modern standards. Love or hate them, they brought the 31st century designs out of the 80's and up to modern standards. In my opinion that's the catalyst (pun intended) that set off bringing Battletech back into the limelight and achieving a top 20 KS campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's a lot of little and extremely specific complaints to be made about PGI and if you only take them one at a time without ever considered the existence of the others, or the negative picture they paint about the company's management of their game as a whole, then it can be easy to handwave them away. But if you actually look at the big picture, it's easy to see why MWO failed and who made the decisions that led to that failure.

While a game being fun for a few hundred people playing a couple hundred hours each might be okay for the members aforementioned audience, it's still a failure that's difficult to ignore when looking at the value of the IP as a whole.

Even HBS, who created a wildly successful BT game, decided it was better for them in the long run to make a new IP from scratch than deal with whatever is going on with MW/BT. Which makes a lot of sense if they were sublicensed to PGI.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 18, 2023