Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know it's not an original thought, and I have no idea about the numbers involved, but they really need to rebalance ARR / its postgame to be part of the overall Main Storyline Questline better.

That and allow you to, through some Dr Who bullshit, do the other two starting city's lv 01-10 quest line as those are kinda important in terms of establishing the other two city states.

They should delete the option to start in Gridania, for starters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Specially because as you said multiple times you don't do EX and up content because it's too hard! Imagine of every single dungeon run made you feel like when you did Emerald EX.

Thinking about it more specifically, I think it's less just because 'too hard' and more because 'too hard for not enough reward'. I don't give a poo poo about better gear or most of the provided mounts, so that's not really a reward for me, and Extremes and Savages have never provided much more than that. I probably would struggle through it more often if there was a reward that interested me, and there frequently just isn't. In fact I actually know that, because I did Diamond EX a few patches later for the G-Warrior card, Memoria Misera for that card (I'm not sure how hard people think that is), and recently did this:

This was not a good time, but for a lot of it in different ways than I'm used to; out of all the healers, AST is really designed around the notion of a prolonged single fight in one place, so its kit just doesn't really get the chance to make any sense for most of it. Outside of the bosses I was constantly feeling like I'd have been more useful as a Red Mage.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Cleretic posted:

This was not a good time, but for a lot of it in different ways than I'm used to; out of all the healers, AST is really designed around the notion of a prolonged single fight in one place, so its kit just doesn't really get the chance to make any sense for most of it. Outside of the bosses I was constantly feeling like I'd have been more useful as a Red Mage.

As someone who has done a lot of deep dungeoning lately with several clears, I can say that healers aren't really needed there. Often, and especially with EO, you're either at full health or dead on the normal floors. Practically every attack the floor mobs do are OHKO past a point; it's just the nature of the beast. Yeah, it can help smooth some things out in a light party, but often the damage is more valuable.

My most recent clear of EO was a duo run with my friend. We did it WAR/RDM and won with a healthy amount of time left.

Absolutely embarrassed the 99 boss.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Doing hard content should be it's own reward. The only reason why I do hard content is for the tick and because of the incredible endorphin rush I get when I finally clear hard content. Anything else is just an extra for me, although the Legend titles/weapons/adventurer plate rewards for Ults are pretty sweet, I must admit.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I did hard content and all I got was a weapon in a style I don't particularly like and a title I'll use for a week before switching it out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kheldarn posted:

I don't remember what the Trial in 2.5 was.

Every time I pass it in Duty Finder I'm like "What is- OH RIGHT. They should really add that to MSQ roulette. It's in Trial, but I've literally only ever gotten it once."

Fake e: Cleretic, I love ya, but you're looking at Spiders Georg as your only data point and trying to make useful analyses.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

goblin week posted:

They should delete the option to start in Gridania, for starters

Speaking as someone who did that. Yeah, can't really disagree.
Really it should be a tour of all three cities and their 1-15 quest lines.
Like I said, there's a fair bit of context in the other two cities I'd really would have liked to have been on the up-and-up on.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New compromise option: all players start in Gridania, but get to do the other 1-15 quest lines ending in Ul'dah's.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tekopo posted:

Doing hard content should be it's own reward. The only reason why I do hard content is for the tick and because of the incredible endorphin rush I get when I finally clear hard content. Anything else is just an extra for me, although the Legend titles/weapons/adventurer plate rewards for Ults are pretty sweet, I must admit.

I dunno what to tell you, I play FromSoft games for the world and story. (And Nioh 1 first out of curiosity, and then out of spite.)

I'll step up to any challenge you hand me you give me something interesting afterwards, but 'the exact same fight but this time with more bullshit' ain't giving me anything.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

The most recent savage tier was one of the most healer intensive in some time so now is a weird time to bring up the whole "healers not needed thing".

i heard this all tier and after healing it myself, lol. lmao

i healed/mitigated more as a tank in p8s than some of my cohealers

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gotta get some clemencies in during High Concept.

I nearly hosed up High Concept 2 once because I was too busy topping people up.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Gotta get some clemencies in during High Concept.

I nearly hosed up High Concept 2 once because I was too busy topping people up.

Yoship gave in to Cleretic's demands and made a phase where Nascent Flash doesn't work, it's PLD's time to shine

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Claiming that a game has a balance problem because of a challenge run that only an extreme minority of players could barely accomplish is like arguing that a game is fundamentally broken because it has a speed runner fan base. 99.9-repeating% of groups need healers.

Also that TOP screenshot had a paladin and warrior instead of two warriors so clearly the issue is how overpowered clemency is. :smug:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I dunno what to tell you, I play FromSoft games for the world and story. (And Nioh 1 first out of curiosity, and then out of spite.)

I'll step up to any challenge you hand me you give me something interesting afterwards, but 'the exact same fight but this time with more bullshit' ain't giving me anything.
I don't think this is totally true, because otherwise you wouldn't complain about healers having little to do in normal content (apart from Alliance raids, which are pretty fun as a healer).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

heart of corundum was hilarious for the busters. don't mind me, just gonna shoot myself in the head and then heal myself back to 80% or so before the dots even wear off

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the reward of doing extreme and savage fights is having a good time hanging out with your friends, or meeting new people and exchanging knowing glances as you see the same three or four players in your 20th animals 2 prog party

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

the reward of doing extreme and savage fights is having a good time hanging out with your friends, or meeting new people and exchanging knowing glances as you see the same three or four players in your 20th animals 2 prog party
:yeah:

The latter gets even better when you do Ult PF and you see the same 2-3 terrorists that can't even get past ifrit because somehow they are a healer that has no loving understanding of how searing wind works.

I'm not bitter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tekopo posted:

I don't think this is totally true, because otherwise you wouldn't complain about healers having little to do in normal content (apart from Alliance raids, which are pretty fun as a healer).

There's a difference between doing high-end, challenging content and just wanting the average gameplay to actually even remotely challenge me.

There are levels of difficulty between 'SMB World 1-1' and 'Super Meat Boy Hell levels'.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

difficulty is a highly subjective thing and there are many players for who even msq content is bordering on impossible, including healers whose mental bandwidth is already so occupied they won't notice someone getting a doom stack and failing to heal them to full before they drop dead, including they themselves being the doom stack haver

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

doom mechanics being such a meme has more to do with the god awful buff/defuff ui than anything else. in pretty much any form, really, including the one where the affected have to self-cleanse

it's just that outside of high-end content doom is the only one that really has consequences (read: healer has to use swiftcast)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cleretic posted:

There's a difference between doing high-end, challenging content and just wanting the average gameplay to actually even remotely challenge me.

There are levels of difficulty between 'SMB World 1-1' and 'Super Meat Boy Hell levels'.
Extremes can be done in a lockout or two with some light prog, so I don't really see the comparison being relevant at all. I can attest to that since I only started playing in 5.55, I can vividly remember my first Extreme prog/clear (it was Diamond EX, I was extremely pumped to have cleared "hard" content).

And yeah, difficulty is really subjective. There are people that gave up on the MSQ because some of the EW MSQ trials were too challenging.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

if healing was any harder in normal content, i would not do it at all ever. i am bad at it and i get yelled at for being bad at it regularly. i legit get anxious and lose track of what buttons do what and suddenly everyone's dying and it's my fault

healing should be easy

what I'm trying to say is shut the gently caress up already cleretic

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I tried healing one of the EW launch EXs once when they were current as a SCH and I was flailing around and mostly useless and burning cooldowns all at once so I respect anyone who heals in EXs and upwards.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

I tried healing one of the EW launch EXs once when they were current as a SCH and I was flailing around and mostly useless and burning cooldowns all at once so I respect anyone who heals in EXs and upwards.

Healing high end stuff is weird, if there's a mechanic with a tough healing check, at first you're panic spamming all your healing buttons and the party is dying or almost dying, and then at some point a switch flips in your brain and you're lazily pressing broil while throwing out some ogcds and the party's health barely goes down

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

a cartoon duck posted:

I've been working on gwib farming lately, and you definitely start to recognize names in PF, ideally for "oh I did a few runs with that guy last night, guess we're both still in Totem Hell" and not "wait, did we ever clear in that guy's last PF?" or "oh right, this person talked about how drunk they were pre-pull, botched orbs and wiped us twice in a row, and ragequit the group as if they weren't the one who just shat the bed"

Level 80 EXes in PF: still occasionally a big adventure

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oneiros posted:

doom mechanics being such a meme has more to do with the god awful buff/defuff ui than anything else. in pretty much any form, really, including the one where the affected have to self-cleanse

it's just that outside of high-end content doom is the only one that really has consequences (read: healer has to use swiftcast)

Yeah, I generally keep on top of that and I still have people die to Dooms sometimes, just because it can be hard to notice.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also Savage and especially Ultimates try to drill into you that mit is a shared responsability and pressing Addle/Feint/Reprisal/Whatever pRanged have is important and necessary and you should do it and also coordinate with anyone that shares your role so you don't overlap mit.

And yet there are still dps in Ult PF that never press one of their shared mit buttons.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My co-tank and I are a bit too good at pressing Reprisal at the same time.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's really cute watching a p8s pf party plan out mits before pulling part 2, even the feints :allears:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Qwertycoatl posted:

The only savage this tier I'd even consider trying to solo-heal is P6S. That would be a tough challenge, the others would be ridiculous suffering.

I don't think any of 5 through 7 would be too bad now. I haven't actually tried so not sure how all the healer-targeted stack mechanics and the like would work out; I think for most of them you can just split 5 DPS and 3 TH. I might need to plan out gcds for Purgation and maybe some other high damage sections, but overall I don't think the healing output checks would be too bad. That's after clearing them a dozen times, obviously I would not want to start with that as the default.

I get not gelling with how 14 does healing. It's an idiosyncratic setup: mitigation is a group responsibility, healers are a safety net for when the group fails, the overall optimization goal for the group is to set things up so healers do not feel pressured to cast heals. Not enjoying that design is fine. Insisting that if you don't enjoy it then it must be flawed is a bit much.

Roulette content is a bad gauge for difficulty. You can do any roulette content with all healers, all tanks or all dps if you want. I have WHM-tanked alliance raid bosses for a couple minutes after the tanks fell off the platform or were eaten by hair. I have survived Extreme trial tankbusters as SGE and I'm pretty sure most Extremes in the game can be done tankless with no deaths. Those don't really say anything about the usefulness of tanks.

That one or both healers are technically optional in a lot of hard content isn't an indicator that healing is easy as much as it is an indicator that non-healer mitigation & healing is very strong in 14 if you optimize the hell out of it. I think anyone who has tried TOP would agree that there's quite a lot of healing to do in it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

nvm

God Hole fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 19, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

I don't think any of 5 through 7 would be too bad now. I haven't actually tried so not sure how all the healer-targeted stack mechanics and the like would work out; I think for most of them you can just split 5 DPS and 3 TH. I might need to plan out gcds for Purgation and maybe some other high damage sections, but overall I don't think the healing output checks would be too bad. That's after clearing them a dozen times, obviously I would not want to start with that as the default.

I assume doing that has a 2/7 chance of a tank getting the other stack and (probably) causing a wipe?

P7S I think the only particularly problematic one is when the parties have to split before the markers go out. If you lose the gamble there you could probably recover if the summoners/red mages are quick off the mark.

P5S would probably be a RNGfest though. If you lose your tanks and healer in a stack-spread combo you're going to have a very bad time, and also if you fail to poison a crystal.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Qwertycoatl posted:

I assume doing that has a 2/7 chance of a tank getting the other stack and (probably) causing a wipe?

Yes, but as I understand it that's just how solo healing rolls. If the mechanic is such you can't tell who is getting the 2nd stack marker before it goes off then you just get to gamble. Getting hits on three different 5/7 rolls is a 36% chance, so you'd get a successful run through most fights fairly quickly.

You can fix the P7S split stacks after the bridges respawn with Icarus or Rescue, depending on which way you need to adjust it. Presumably you can also do the Icarus + Rescue character swap to balance the stacks while adjusting, but I never got to (or wanted to) do that.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you don't even need to do any fancy rescue stuff to fix bad stack marker rng in p7s, you can just run it out to the other group (helps if the the group you start with goes towards the other edge of the bridge). pretty sure you can safely take it with three bodies, too, if everyone is healthy

it was a not-uncommon issue in pf, easy enough to resolve

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/ThePhookas/status/1659109380091006977?t=LRfLjWZUAh3g3d-rOZlCKg&s=19

I'm really not feeling the caster sets this patch for my blm. I like the design for the raid set but the blue is all wrong

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I generally keep on top of that and I still have people die to Dooms sometimes, just because it can be hard to notice.

sounds like you’re being challenged

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

rantmo posted:

I'm about to get a new computer, is there anything I can do to help speed up the installation once I get the new machine up and running? I know back in the City of Heroes days you could transfer basically the entire installation to save time but is there anything comparable here? Also, what exactly gets backed up in the FFXIVconfig file when you back up settings?

I've always been able to just copy over the old installation over once you run the installer to set up whatever junk the game needs to run and let it get to the download. Cancel the download and copy your old install over (doing the other things people said to save your configs as well) and start it back up and it should just need to do a quick check and be good to go.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

goblin week posted:

They should delete Gridania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gridania is fine