Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

The best old pokedex stuff was references to real world events or places, like how Gastly can kill an Indian elephant in seconds

Is Lieutenant Surge still "The Lightning American" or have the cowards at Nintendo censored his heritage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Countblanc posted:

The best old pokedex stuff was references to real world events or places, like how Gastly can kill an Indian elephant in seconds

Just checked... that's Raichu. the edison of pokemon

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
all the pokedex entries are fake

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

re: old pokedex entries i think everyone remembers like, Parasect's entry and the funny implications of that anime episode where someone was trying to get their Paras to evolve

the s/v dex has some funny stuff though like retaining the text about froslass freezing people and keeping them in her lair, and having the picture being froslass sneaking up on a trainer

I remember like Sun/Moon’s a lot because they’re cute/dumb little things like Machamp being a peerless martial artist in all forms of combat but horrible at anything requiring dexterity, or about the hunting habits of Pokémon, or Ditto hating other Ditto.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
all the fake chimera fossils in sw/sh getting nonsense entries ftw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
seriously though i hope they patch totk so that the actual goddamn pilotable robot you get isn't so useless against the late game enemies they make you fight with it. having silver enemies again was such a mistake, would rather have big groups of lower tier ones to blow up

would also like if they patched it to move faster and have a wider range of interactions with different tools, it's very sad how by the time you get it you have a dozen vehicles at your disposal that do the same job with better mobility and funny ideas like giving it springs to make it bounce around don't actually work. also how much energy it eats up, i feel bad for people who didnt focus on upgrading their energy well cause that thing eats up so much power for how slow it moves and how little damage it does. also please let me fire both arms on it at once that feels like a thing you should be able to do and it would make it a lot cooler and more useful

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 18, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jay Rust posted:

Just checked... that's Raichu. the edison of pokemon

It's both, check Gastly in Fire Red

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do NOT step to me about inconsequential pokemon minutiae

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It's both, check Gastly in Fire Red

yikes, don't be an elephant in kanto

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the gym for the "lightning american" prominently features trash cans

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i remember reading a really weird pokemon manga where there was a really big haunter that killed people and pokemon for real by eating their dreams

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Pokemon has always had hosed up entries in the Pokedex, like Cubone wearing its dead mother's skull and the various eldritch horror ghost/psychic type entries.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is Lieutenant Surge still "The Lightning American" or have the cowards at Nintendo censored his heritage?

He's "The Lightning Unovan" now

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Why can't we get actual bad teams anymor? The hooligan team from swsh didn't even glass anybody.

How does troubleshooter play on the steam deck? I shouldprobablygive that another shot now that xcom is dead forever.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i remember reading a really weird pokemon manga where there was a really big haunter that killed people and pokemon for real by eating their dreams

early pokemon manga was nuts in general

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

He's "The Lightning Unovan" now

Wait scratch this I actually can't find anything, but Bulbepdia is saying "The Lightning Lieutenant"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Even modern Pokemon has a lot of really hosed up Pokedex stuff. Tinkatuff/Tinkaton beat Bisharp and Corviknight to death to make their hammers out of them. Or Nacl which hunts prey by slowly salting it while alive and desiccating it to death.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that one is especially funny because tinkaton is a terrible matchup against corviknight which just makes it cooler

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tinkaton may be the greatest pokemon ever created

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i may hate corviknight because it's just Skarmory but better and Skarmory didn't deserve to get outclassed like that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

seriously though i hope they patch totk so that the actual goddamn pilotable robot you get isn't so useless against the late game enemies they make you fight with it. having silver enemies again was such a mistake, would rather have big groups of lower tier ones to blow up
i know right!! why were they so weak!! it was faster to fight on foot and that can't be how Nintendo wanted people to play that part

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DrManiac posted:

Why can't we get actual bad teams anymor? The hooligan team from swsh didn't even glass anybody.

The team from S/V isn't even evil at all.

Though they make up for it by the main villain actively destroying the timeline and the ecosystem for the sole reason of "wanted to see cool pokemon", to the point where they have a loving automatic defense system in place that tries to kill anyone who tries to shut down the time machine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/t3poig.mp4

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i think we've all been there.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
When I played through one of the PSP Japan-only dungeon crawler spin-offs, it was that single moment when I knew I was playing a genuine King's Field game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

wow these are some mind-boggling effects

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

More Mimics should be skeletons popping out of the box and hitting you in the head instead of just a treasure chest with teeth.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zore posted:

Even modern Pokemon has a lot of really hosed up Pokedex stuff. Tinkatuff/Tinkaton beat Bisharp and Corviknight to death to make their hammers out of them. Or Nacl which hunts prey by slowly salting it while alive and desiccating it to death.

I did not know there was a salt Pokémon family named Nacl-something thank you for making my day

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the whole evo line has that in its name it's sick

speaking of that it took me an embarassing amount of time to figure out the german numbers in deino-zweilous-hydreigon

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

TurnipFritter posted:

More Mimics should be skeletons popping out of the box and hitting you in the head instead of just a treasure chest with teeth.

The spin-off(s) had doors with teeth in Gate Fangs that looked like normal doors in the dungeon, except when you opened one there'd just be a gaping maw instead of a room, it was kind of messed up.

In hindsight I'm surprised they didn't bring the concept to the Souls games, force people to hit every door before opening it like with chests.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kanfy posted:

The spin-off(s) had doors with teeth in Gate Fangs that looked like normal doors in the dungeon, except when you opened one there'd just be a gaping maw instead of a room, it was kind of messed up.

In hindsight I'm surprised they didn't bring the concept to the Souls games, force people to hit every door before opening it like with chests.

Reminds me of this art from D&D in 2003:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

speaking of that it took me an embarassing amount of time to figure out the german numbers in deino-zweilous-hydreigon
took me way too long to realize metagross's '12' theme with its weight of 1212, and it having 12 claws. the gross in its name probably refers to the unit of measurement, aka 12x12

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also it looks gross

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's called "meta" because it was really good in competitive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

took me way too long to realize metagross's '12' theme with its weight of 1212, and it having 12 claws. the gross in its name probably refers to the unit of measurement, aka 12x12

... gently caress.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Endorph posted:

:aaaaa:

what the gently caress

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

12x12 is 144 though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

quote:

Unlike their Alolan counterparts, the Mareanie of the Galar region have not yet figured out that the branches of Corsola are delicious.

love mareanie trying to figure out how to eat a ghost

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jay Rust posted:

12x12 is 144 though

which is one Gross yes. A Gross is a measurement of exponents of 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zore posted:

which is one Gross yes. A Gross is a measurement of exponents of 12.

yeah but the mon's weight is 1212