Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

how long until we have a 40k emperor of man situation where the leader is just a corpse and the cult of divinators "interpreting his will" are the actual leaders

We basically had that under Trump including the fascism.

When he was extra-dumb they just ignored him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Anyhow, Senator [Feinstein's Chief of Staff] will not be letting go of her seniority until she keels over during a committee hearing.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If she resigned mid-term, would her appointed replacement keep her committees and positions within for the rest of the term?

Not that this justifies her staying on or anything, this is loving ridiculous and sad. I’m just curious about the mechanism

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jaxyon posted:

We basically had that under Trump including the fascism.

When he was extra-dumb they just ignored him.

yeah i mean to some degree thats always true for presidents, but trump at least seemed to know where he was, at this point feinstein could actually die and the dems would probably let her staff get away with carrying on as long as the ruse held up

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think your ability to chair a committee is determined at least in part by how long you've been on that committee, I'm not sure how it works exactly. My guess is that an appointed senator has a pretty low chance of reelectability compared to someone who won the popular vote.

Feinstein started as SF City council, was appointed interm mayor, then won reelection, later was elected to the US Senate so (to me) makes sense to put her on powerful committees since she'll probably be there until she dies (see thread for details)

Democrats will probably put some up and coming person on the new junior seats in intelligence, judiciary etc. Feinstein stepping down means California loses a very powerful voice especially on the judiciary committee, I bet they were hoping to see her chair that one and let California help choose supreme Court justices etc. Even if he appointed CA senator gets on those committees they'll be junior members, barely above observer status.

California also would have, I think, two appointed senators? Probably not good, going from a lvl99 Senate presence to a lvl1 with 100exp standing in half a decade

I would imagine there's probably some prejudice against junior senators who were appointed

This is all wild speculation, I'm not a Senate expert

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 17, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

incumbents always have an advantage, even appointees. thats part of what makes executive appointments so powerful even outside the supreme court

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hadlock posted:

Democrats will probably put some up and coming person on the new junior seats in intelligence, judiciary etc. Feinstein stepping down means California loses a very powerful voice especially on the judiciary committee, I bet they were hoping to see her chair that one and let California help choose supreme Court justices etc. Even if he appointed CA senator gets on those committees they'll be junior members, barely above observer status.

Feinstein fast-tracked the confirmation of Amy Coney Barrett 2 weeks before the election, and congratulated everyone on the good work they did. She's definitely been pivotal in selecting Supreme Court justices.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QCbAZcMwg

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hadlock posted:

My guess is that an appointed senator has a pretty low chance of reelectability compared to someone who won the popular vote.

wait do we live in the same california (or texas i forget is hadlock still in CA?) or did padilla not happily cruise to a comfortable 60% victory against whatever token republican candidate flopped onto the ballot instead of a dem challenger? i have no idea who the gently caress any of these primary challengers are; i assume they're the typical "lizard people are consuming our babies" set that only enters the race to post nonsense in the voter guide

the party decides

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Speaking as the child of two parents with dementia, you can't "just tell" them anything without substantial legal work. The first drat thing dementia takes away is your ability to realize you're having mental problems. The only way for DiFi's children to get her out of the Senate is for them to go to court and get a conservatorship put in place -- the kind Britney Spears had. That will be nasty and painful for the entire family -- not just because of "people will find out" but because of somebody you love being taken to court, against their will, for a trial to prove they're demented.

We got (in a weird way) lucky in that we -- our mother had known much earlier -- only found out about our father's dementia the week he died, and that my mother had a durable power of attorney in place when she was involuntarily moved from her duplex to the closed dementia ward of her assisted living complex. Otherwise we would have had to drag somebody who thought she was competent, and could easily talk and defend herself, into court to be proven incompetent. I can understand -- but not defend -- why the Feinstein kids wouldn't have been willing to do this. All it takes is one family member, or professional associate, saying "She's fine, I will testify that she's fine" to make the whole thing even more grotesque and horrible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

wait do we live in the same california (or texas i forget is hadlock still in CA?)

I'm back, baby. As of about three weeks ago

If you put on your reading comprehension hat you'll note I was trying to compare two theoretical politicians up for reelection on reelectability, then used feinstein as a prime example of a strong grass roots candidate

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah i mean to some degree thats always true for presidents, but trump at least seemed to know where he was, at this point feinstein could actually die and the dems would probably let her staff get away with carrying on as long as the ruse held up

Like it said in the article the one thing they can't do for her is vote. But hey maybe we'll change the Senate rules to allow proxies

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hadlock posted:

California also would have, I think, two appointed senators? Probably not good, going from a lvl99 Senate presence to a lvl1 with 100exp standing in half a decade

You're not wrong, but to be fair, Padilla was elected in 2022.

I think incumbents hold enough recognition to make it easy to keep their seats. Boxer and Feinstein kept their seats since 93 until Boxer retired in 2018. An appointed replacement for Feinstein would have an advantage if they seek re-election, so people have been suggesting state politicians that would be capable of being a replacement but would rather not do a full term.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I wasn't sure what happened with his situation. 2022 was a weird year for me

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure what happened with his situation. 2022 was a weird year for me

:hfive: it was certainly weird for all of us

2023 is turning into even more of a trash fire too :tif:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
hey there's wildfire smoke and sepia up here in seattle today, good thing I moved from california so this is just as normal day for me

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Hadlock posted:

She's one of the longest serving Democrats in the Senate, placement on committees, she's currently on five, including appropriations (budget), judiciary, rules, and intelligence (CIA etc) those are some pretty important ones

Why does this matter though? That is not a rhetorical question. If Feinstein stopped being a senator tomorrow, some other Democrat will take her committee seats, no? Is she uniquely serving California’s interests on these committees? It’s not like the balance of power in the senate is at stake or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm not an expert on this

Presumably feinstein is working with Californians interests first and Senate democrats interests second* so there's some kind of synergy between the gubernatorial office back home and the Senate out east and make sure our tax dollars are being routed back to our state, or something

*:lol:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The New York Times goes deeper on the Feinstein story.https://archive.ph/AmVGN

quote:

Feinstein Suffered More Complications From Illness Than Were Publicly Disclosed

The shingles spread to her face and neck, causing vision and balance impairments and facial paralysis known as Ramsay Hunt syndrome. The virus also brought on a previously unreported case of encephalitis, a rare but potentially debilitating complication of shingles, according to two people familiar with the senator’s diagnosis who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe it.

Characterized by swelling of the brain, post-shingles encephalitis can leave patients with lasting memory or language problems, sleep disorders, bouts of confusion, mood disorders, headaches and difficulties walking. Older patients tend to have the most trouble recovering. And even before this latest illness, Ms. Feinstein had already suffered substantial memory issues that had raised questions about her mental capacity.

The grim tableau of her re-emergence on Capitol Hill laid bare a bleak reality known to virtually everyone who has come into contact with her in recent days: She was far from ready to return to work when she did, and she is now struggling to function in a job that demands long days, near-constant engagement on an array of crucial policy issues and high-stakes decision-making.
Many people close to Ms. Feinstein, a six-term senator, described seeing her operating in the Senate in her current state as “frightening,” a tragic end to a formidable career in politics that they worry is casting a shadow over her legacy and her achievements. More immediately, it has resurfaced questions about whether Ms. Feinstein, who has announced she will retire when her term ends next year, is fit to continue serving even for that long.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Dem establishment is already on record that they do not give a poo poo as long as they can prop her up on the Senate floor and have her vote with the party. So unless she declines to the point where they can't even do that it looks like she's absolutely going to serve out her term, lol.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

encephalitis

Encephalitis is swelling of the brain I think, in more extreme cars you're basically nonfunctional besides waking up to use the bathroom and feed yourself. Probably extreme cases are more common as you get older. I'm not a doctor but what we saw today might be close to as good as it gets. Hope she gets better but the fact that they decided to wheel her out last week is probably indicative that they don't have a lot of confidence she's going to improve substantially any time soon

Kind of surprised they even bothered to waste everyone's time hiding it this long

Sydin posted:

The Dem establishment is already on record that they do not give a poo poo as long as they can prop her up on the Senate floor and have her vote with the party. So unless she declines to the point where they can't even do that it looks like she's absolutely going to serve out her term, lol.

Hadlock posted:

Weekend at Bernie's

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-05-17/california-bill-targeting-toxic-chemicals-in-skittles-other-snacks-passes-first-hurdle

They keep calling it the Skittles ban but specifically its to ban candies using red dye No. 3, titanium dioxide, potassium bromate, brominated vegetable oil, or propylparaben — starting in 2025.
The California State Assembly has passed it, it just needs to go up against the state Senate.

There are states where they have already been banned and companies adjusted and used other dyes.
Don't know why they wouldnt just do it across the board.
Saved some CEO the price of a car for their kids maybe.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

or maybe they bought it for cheap when the supplier wanted to get rid of inventory because it was getting banned so now that free lunch is over

not much different from

OgNar posted:

Saved some CEO the price of a car for their kids maybe.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

idk about the others but titanium dioxide has tons of uses

e: also i love that a vote to ban poison in children's candy goes down along party lines. american politics, everyone

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 23, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/yourfriendLilan/status/1660706678810247168

lol, meanwhile my younger sibling is an EMT tech at an emergency room and is fighting tooth and nail to avoid getting scammed out their signing bonus of... $2000.

I am absolutely sick to loving death of the love affair with the police all levels and sides of political power seem to have in this country, including the Dems.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Sydin posted:

lol, meanwhile my younger sibling is an EMT tech at an emergency room and is fighting tooth and nail to avoid getting scammed out their signing bonus of... $2000.

did he forget his pin number for the atm machine

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.latimes.com/california/...tial-california

quote:

As staff shield Feinstein from the press, a picture really is worth a thousand words

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

OMGVBFLOL posted:

did he forget his pin number for the atm machine

Nah it was a delayed bonus they'd get after six months and basically the second six months of service time ticked over they gave their notice because the hospital was a dysfunctional mess that despite being stretched beyond thin for staff fired a nurse for cause because they clocked in five minutes early on their phone once, but kept another nurse who's belligerent to staff and instigated a full on fistfight with a patient because he'd been around for ages and was friendly with the higher ups. Hospital is now trying to argue that the bonus was for retention purposes and if my sibling is leaving then they aren't obligated to it, but there's nothing in the contract that says anything like that, just "work through this date = get signing bonus" and it very much feels like the hospital is playing a game of chicken hoping they'll give up before involving a lawyer.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol this story has a (e: link to another story with a) link to a tweet and

https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/status/1659253323483033600

just scroll down through the comments and observe the difference between replies from blue checks and non-blue checks. Twitter is a right-wing website

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 25, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Another NYT article about DiFi being not quite there: https://archive.ph/xmioU Highlights include referring to criticizers of DiFi's incapacity as being "left-wing" and devoting half the article to explaining how the office works quite well anyway.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
State Farm says F U if you want to live in a state thats constantly on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=penPiBAHLSE

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Florida has already been there for years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The state is going to have to update fire insurance regulations finally

A lot of people in rural areas have been complaining about how their fire abatement measures don't impact their property insurance rates, I don't know the specifics but it's a deep rabbit hole. A stucco house with a steel roof and no trees within 100' might fall under the same rate as their next door neighbor who has a cedar shingle roof nestled in a bunch of bone dry pine trees. Or something. Apparently rates are done very broadly because the calculations were designed in the pre computer era

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Florida has already been there for years.

this was what popped into my mind as well. does this mean the state itself will have to spin up an "insurer of last resort"?

or backstop existing private insurers?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nationalizing property insurance would be very interesting

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hadlock posted:

The state is going to have to update fire insurance regulations finally

A lot of people in rural areas have been complaining about how their fire abatement measures don't impact their property insurance rates, I don't know the specifics but it's a deep rabbit hole. A stucco house with a steel roof and no trees within 100' might fall under the same rate as their next door neighbor who has a cedar shingle roof nestled in a bunch of bone dry pine trees. Or something. Apparently rates are done very broadly because the calculations were designed in the pre computer era
That already happened. Nothing you can do individually actually matters to whether your house burns down when a wildfire moves through

I would guess the most likely outcome if other insurers follow suit is wildfire becomes an allowable and typical exclusion the same as other hard-to-insure hazards like floods and earthquakes. Then maybe you get a state/national level organization offering supplemental insurance like the California Earthquake Authority/National Flood Insurance Program

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 28, 2023

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

That already happened. Nothing you can do individually actually matters to whether your house burns down when a wildfire moves through

I would guess the most likely outcome if other insurers follow suit is wildfire becomes an allowable and typical exclusion the same as other hard-to-insure hazards like floods and earthquakes. Then maybe you get a state/national level organization offering supplemental insurance like the California Earthquake Authority/National Flood Insurance Program

Is this not what the FAIR plan already does?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Foxfire_ posted:

i'll bet anything this is why state farm is doing what they're doing. the minnesota governor just rolled over and veto'd two bills because of capital strikes

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it did cross my mind that they're doing this during an election cycle

Florida as always has been a swing state

I'd love to know the political affiliation of both the CEO and CFO, and any of the other C suite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

During an election cycle??? Bro it's May of 2023