Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think you're all drastically under-estimating the value of blue milk on tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah just make it a normal hotel. I'm gonna say most normal people booking a Star Wars hotel and knowing what they're getting will not care about no pool.

For the record, I agree with you. I'd love to stay there, immersive experience or not. But it only has 100 rooms for guests and it wasn't designed to be a standard hotel so there would have to be a substantial retrofit to make that work. I think that if you had to staff that place as a hotel with that few rooms, you have to charge a fortune for it to be profitable and if it's not profitable, there's no way they're doing it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just try this idea as an attachment to the Haunted Mansion but it's a in park hotel with a dress code and it's own dining room party and it exits via the cemetery

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah. I do think the next logical step would be deluxe level prices but I just don't know.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
On the one hand, it's a bummer, the hotel was definitely on my list of poo poo I'd like to do if money was no object. But on the other hand, it was so much loving money. Best case was I was gonna do it once, maybe, if I retired well? In twenty or thirty years? So, yeah, I'm sad it's closing because the concept was always cool as hell, but $4500 and up for two people for two days is and always was "haha gently caress you, no" pricing and if you can't do the experience for less then that, then you can't do the experience, because -- as we've now proven -- people aren't gonna pay it. There must have been a step in the planning process where they sat down and figured out what they were have to charge to turn a profit on the thing, and when those numbers came back, that was the time to step back, massively retool, and abort if all else failed.

I saw a completely unsourced rumor in a comments section about Disney refurbishing it into an interactive experience that's always open with some places to eat, some games, and some escape room style experiences. That would be very cool, but the issue is location. Yeah, the hotel is close to HS, but not walking distance. That "shuttle service" to "Batuu" was a van ride. They could rig up a mini monorail or something themed as a shuttle trip, that would also be very cool, but everything about this idea would cost money and I don't think Disney's in the mood to spend a dime in Florida at the moment.

I think they're gonna end up demolishing, and it will make me a bit sad.

Doronin posted:

EDIT/UPDATE: Oh drat, Disney is also canceling the Lake Nona campus. Can't wait to watch governor fuckhead mental-gymnastics his way through explaining why not having another $1 billion investment in the state is actually good. gently caress those jobs, right?
I'm not gonna bother quoting it because death to all chuds but the official response to the Lake Nonna stuff was basically "far-left disney losing too much money to be able to afford building new things, sad!, get woke go broke liberals" so... more of that, probably.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 18, 2023

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Upsidads posted:

What a blessed life you live

Wow, hey, thanks for being a dick

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The cancellation of the Florida HQ is great because a whole bunch of professionals making professional incomes entering that region is not great for the service economy workers barely squeaking by. On top of which, the Imagineers did not want to move to Florida for the most part and I know a few simply retired when told there would be no choice.

Galactic Starcruiser is kind of a loss for everyone all the way around. The building itself looks like a minimum security prison from the outside, it's not conveniently placed to transition to a normal hotel if they tried.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Just wait until y'all see what they do with it.

Honestly just wait until the Urbexers get ahold of it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Just try it again but now it's a Muppets hotel

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I’m holding out hope for the best Spirit Halloween location ever.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not gonna bother quoting it because death to all chuds but the official response to the Lake Nonna stuff was basically "far-left disney losing too much money to be able to afford building new things, sad!, get woke go broke liberals" so... more of that, probably.

Yep, just very NOT MAD energy as Desantis basically just announced his candidacy:

I guess cheering for the failure of your state's biggest moneymaker is too high level of a strategy for a simple man like me to comprehend

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn’t they already start construction?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I feel like I need to make time to go do the Starcruiser or Ill regret it

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Just wait until y'all see what they do with it.

Honestly just wait until the Urbexers get ahold of it.

Gotta put those Osbourne Christmas lights somewhere.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have to wonder if StarCruiser was viewed as a risky experiment all along. Like did they go in knowing there was a good chance it would fail? Or is this failure somehow a surprise to them now?

I keep seeing people say that they should have tried lowering the price. I can only assume that, with only 100 rooms, they couldn't lower the price much without operating at a loss.

I predict the building will either be shuttered for a while or they'll find some way to expand on it and turn it into a more normal hotel.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I really thought despite all the Youtube clips with titles like "why Galactic Starcruiser is a DISMAL FAILURE" that it was still gonna kick along

I guess now there's room for a thousand "why Galactic Starcruiser was a DISMAL FAILURE" videos

and "rememember Galactic Starcruiser??" videos in 5 years

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The way things are going at the company "dismal failure" might just be code for "didn't meet growth projections". Seems like they're pulling a lot of stuff from Disney+ too, even though it's stuff they made and it doesn't cost them to just leave it sitting on the servers. I bet similarly to Netflix they're having to adjust to post-pandemic spending patterns changing and people trying to catch up on the stuff they missed.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

BlueBayou posted:

I feel like I need to make time to go do the Starcruiser or Ill regret it

I'm tempted to do this as well but bookings are paused so they can work things out for guests who already have reservations beyond the closing date.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have to wonder if StarCruiser was viewed as a risky experiment all along. Like did they go in knowing there was a good chance it would fail? Or is this failure somehow a surprise to them now?
They wanted some hyper-expensive premium attraction since long before they bought Star Wars. "Disney is jealous of Discovery Cove" is something that goes back at least 15 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’re actually currently running a Star Wars Month contest to win a trip to the hotel too lol

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The lovely thing about this is all the chuds who repeat "go woke go broke!" ad nauseum are gonna see this as evidence that Disney is in fact, going broke for going woke. You know, even though the parks are always jam packed now.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
It's more like "go star wars, don't know what to do with it"

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

"go star wars, have one director completely botch the landing of the last movie in your sequel trilogy and destroy all of the plans to make it the primary focus of the franchise going forward"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Before Disney, there were 2 good movies and 1 good cartoon.

After Disney, there’s… 2 good movies, but like 3 good cartoons and 2 tv shows. Nobody check how many total movies and shows that’s from.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

The way things are going at the company "dismal failure" might just be code for "didn't meet growth projections". Seems like they're pulling a lot of stuff from Disney+ too, even though it's stuff they made and it doesn't cost them to just leave it sitting on the servers. I bet similarly to Netflix they're having to adjust to post-pandemic spending patterns changing and people trying to catch up on the stuff they missed.

It does cost them to keep shows available, in residuals. Probably more residuals once the writer's strike is done.

It's still basically just stupid penny-pinching, of course.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If the WDW braintrust operated like Disneyland, there would a pretty good chance that Starcruiser is converted to the "Club 33" model, where you buy a membership to be part of a unique club that can do this thing together. They likely don't operate it every day of the year, and instead have select openings so that members can have one or two 'voyages' a year. I could never afford it, but even then setting it in the sequel trilogy was unfortunate to me. It's unfortunate that Imagineering is pushed to use IP so heavily because something like "Adventurer's Club 2.0 But Now You Can Stay There" would likely be successful with WDW superfans while not exposing itself to the sort of Star Wars fans who will use this news to slam Kathleen Kennedy for whatever reason.

But the chances of Starcruiser being redecorated into an Adventurer's Club or literally any other major project not being IP-based at this point probably died with Joe Rohde's retirement.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 19, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm based in Beijing (long-term expat), so I'm curious about the Asia Disney locations - ie Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages between them? I figure the most accessible one for me would be Shanghai Disney, but not sure if it's worth diverting a day for the other 2 if I end up in Hong Kong/Tokyo or if it's something you're meant to dedicate a whole vacation to like Disneyworld in Florida.

Also, there is the new Universal in Beijing. I've been wanting to go there now that Covid restrictions are gone and the weather is warmer, but my coworkers keep dragging their feet. :sigh:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I would say do Shanghai because it's convenient, and Tokyo when you can dedicate a few days. Tokyo has two parks, one is a traditional Disneyland-style park and another one is very unique. Shanghai itself is also quite unlike the other "castle" parks. Hong Kong has much of but not all of the classic rides that also exist in Tokyo, and missing a lot of the unique stuff of the other two.

There is also a Universal in Osaka that seems well liked, but I know less about it because if I'm in Japan I have enough stuff to see as it is. They do have NintendoLand there, though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
To me the Galactic Starcruiser seemed of a piece with everything Chapek was doing with the parks, where they still charged you a lot of money to get in, but now rather than everything after that being included, they provided all sorts of bespoke micro- and macropayment options, to ensure that everyone spent the absolute maximum amount of money they were willing or able to. And if all that nickle and diming made the vacation more stressful and the experience feel grasping and tawdry, well, gently caress you, there's someone richer waiting just behind you in line.

Just a jumbo sized Genie+, in the end.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, bringing back the Dining Plan, getting rid of reservations, etc seems like the execs trying to rebuild all the goodwill Chapek pissed away chasing whale money like a gacha game.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm based in Beijing (long-term expat), so I'm curious about the Asia Disney locations - ie Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages between them? I figure the most accessible one for me would be Shanghai Disney, but not sure if it's worth diverting a day for the other 2 if I end up in Hong Kong/Tokyo or if it's something you're meant to dedicate a whole vacation to like Disneyworld in Florida.

Also, there is the new Universal in Beijing. I've been wanting to go there now that Covid restrictions are gone and the weather is warmer, but my coworkers keep dragging their feet. :sigh:

Have not been to Shanghai, I hear it's amazing. Have been to Tokyo Disneyland/Disney Sea twice, once maybe 15 years ago and once last year. The parks are gorgeous, some unique (as far as I know) rides like Journey to the Center of the Earth and the cute Finding Nemo ride at Disney Sea and Beauty & the Beast (with trackless tech) in Disneyland. The parks have late afternoon cheaper admission, so you can spend the day in Tokyo and then spend a few hours at night to watch parades and enjoy some rides. They have paid fastpasses, but even then the lines can be crazy long. Like 3 hours on average. The merch is amazing, even the popcorn buckets.

We went to Hong Kong in 2019, it was much smaller than most other parks maybe on par with Disneyland Paris (though they are adding a Frozen section which should add a few rides) but the animatronics were impeccable. Mystic Manor was great, with the new trackless tech, and they had an interesting take on the Star Tours ride that focused solely on a Marvel adventure in Hong Kong. They had a neat shooting gallery ride based on Antman that my kids loved, it was just enough different stuff for us to come back a few times during the trip to check it all out.

I would go back to either Tokyo or Hong Kong without hesitation, both are very much worth a trip. You could probably bang out Hong Kong in a day, Tokyo is a few days maybe one day per park? It depends on the crowds. Hong Kong Disneyland is almost exclusively reached via trains, and when we visited in 2019 the protests shut down the rail system so there were very few crowds when we were able to get to the parks for a visit. Tokyo has it's own station, and it's own internal train that costs a few bucks but saves your feet the hassle.

FWIW the Universal Studios in Osaka was great! But very very packed. We went last October and the lines were 2-3 hours for everything, even crappy little kiddie rides. You have to buy fastpass stuff weeks in advance, it all sells out before you arrive or costs a fortune just to cut the line on a few rides. And this was before the Chinese covid restrictions had been lifted, I learned something like 40% of Japanese tourism is from China so I can only imagine what the crowds are like now that all travel restrictions have been lifted.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, bringing back the Dining Plan, getting rid of reservations, etc seems like the execs trying to rebuild all the goodwill Chapek pissed away chasing whale money like a gacha game.
They can drag Genie+ out behind a shed and into the shallow grave where it belongs aaaaaaaany day now

Bring back FastPass, and there ought to be entire departments holding meetings where the sole item on the agenda is “how the gently caress are we letting Touring Plans eat our lunch to this humiliating degree”.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
EDIT: Thought about something but it's been covered

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They’re actually currently running a Star Wars Month contest to win a trip to the hotel too lol

yeah I'm actually entering it daily. It'd be a nice thing to win and take the spouse,, you know? Especially if they convert the starcruiser stay part to any deluxe resort.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, there's still time so the winners can still do it.

The terms do currently say you must redeem it before December so that might need an update.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Roadie posted:

It does cost them to keep shows available, in residuals. Probably more residuals once the writer's strike is done.

It's still basically just stupid penny-pinching, of course.
As I understand it those residuals only get paid if the content is actually watched, so if there's no demand then it just sits there and pads the library.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

CapnAndy posted:

They can drag Genie+ out behind a shed and into the shallow grave where it belongs aaaaaaaany day now

We are regulars at Disneyland but splurged on Genie+ & LL for a friend yesterday, and it was such a pain in the rear end to navigate! I get people using it if they are only in the parks for one day, but it was heinously expensive for 2 kids to run around and only get on a few rides. And yes we paid for ROTR and yes I cried inside at the cost. The rest of our party just waited in the standby line and made it through in about an hour, but I was so paranoid the ride would break down so I splurged on LL so our little friend could (almost) guarantee experiencing it.

We had a better time doing single rider on Splash and Space Mountain, they got on those rides right away and rode them repeatedly even though the crowds were high. gently caress Genie+, single rider all the way!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1659946636871598080?s=46&t=aDxvb17MrEraJ0tW0R79uQ

Hmmm

Edit: Yeah I just checked this out in the DLR app. So you can’t pick a time frame anymore which is whack

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Very recently, it let you pick a time window on Thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That seems worse for both sides. Kitchen's being prepped for a rush was a big benefit of that whole system.