Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

I hate what stretch goals have become.

If the stretch goals are "we can improve the card stock quality" or "we can pay the artist's more" then I'm all for it.

Too often they are "here is another character" or "here is another mission". They must have come up with these ahead of time. Hopefully they have been play tested. So if they already existed and play tested, why were they not in the original set to begin with.

It feels like video games where a developer will intentionally leave out content just to sell as DLC later.

Content costs money and takes time to develop and print. It's pretty common for people making games to have more ideas than they can practically realize, and having more funding than necessary to produce the baseline product can make it possible to get more of that into the box (or additional boxes, as the case may be). Similarly, DLC is very often stuff that did not fit into the initial development cycle.

Where I have a problem with content stretch goals is that it can end up overextending projects if they didn't properly budget said time and money and making them either very late or in some cases sinking the company entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

HidaO-Win posted:

Guildball was a fun game, Steamforged blew it up and blamed the players for making the game bad in a display of salting the earth I’m surprised didn’t make more waves.

It does seem to have stuck to their reputation in specifically the miniature game community (as opposed to the board game one), but also that could very well be the bias I have as someone who was incredibly deep in the Guild Ball scene and still friends with a lot of the other big names.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

interrodactyl posted:

Monster Hunter World Iceborne launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-board-game

In completely unrelated news, Steamforged laid off 1/3rd of their staff: https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/steamforged-games-redundancies-hit-20-board-game-workers

I have to imagine that Elden Ring massively underperforming their expectations hit them hard. They also still have 6 kickstarters that are unfulfilled:

- Elden Ring: The Board Game
- Rivet Wars: Reloaded
- Euthia Resurrected
- Epic Encounters: Local Legends
- RuneScape Kingdoms: Shadow of Elvarg
- Resident Evil™: The Board Game

I thought Resident Evil had delivered? Someone brought it to my game group this week.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

I thought Resident Evil had delivered? Someone brought it to my game group this week.

There's been a couple previous ones , so you might be thinking of one of those? Or it might be starting to deliver. I have no idea.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

aww man, the ice theme is neat. I legit want to buy it even though there's a million red flags and i'm not exactly rich. what is wrong with my brain

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

CODChimera posted:

aww man, the ice theme is neat. I legit want to buy it even though there's a million red flags and i'm not exactly rich. what is wrong with my brain

I know I shouldn't but I'm still a sucker for monster hunter. FOMO wins (ie. loses) again. Luckily I'm at a point where if it doesn't happen I'm ok with writing it off.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

HidaO-Win posted:

Its such a miscue to hate your customers, they will eventually notice and why should I give money to a company that actively loathes me.

I mean, you're right but I feel like this defines so much of the relationship between players and companies throughout the industry. I don't know if it's because the industry is so small but it really feels like we are a rather captive audience. Somebody post that "gotta have my batman!" comic again

Edit: I decided to do better
Edit x2: this is not the industry thread sorry

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 19, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ominous Jazz posted:

I mean, you're right but I feel like this defines so much of the relationship between players and companies throughout the industry. I don't know if it's because the industry is so small but it really feels like we are a rather captive audience. Somebody post that "gotta have my batman!" comic again

Edit: I decided to do better
Edit x2: this is not the industry thread sorry

A bad executive views customers as an obstacle in the way of "their" money

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I posted a bunch about the MHW board game in this thread and I'm still having fun with it, to be honest. The game is functional and quite fun to play.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

They still need to deliver resident evil 1, they've delivered resident 2 and 3 already.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The They Live Kickstarter ends today. £50 for the all-in package. Looks like a fun, reasonably quick hidden identity game.

The upgrade pack includes a pair of glasses that you can put on when you play a certain card, and they let you see a player's identity. Obviously just a gimmick since the basic game has the identity just printed on the card, but a fun gimmick.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Steamforged isn't just the company that blew up Guildball and blamed their fans, they're the company that made the d20 Dark Souls cash grab that was so lovely it got an article written about how lovely it was https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23024104/dark-souls-tabletop-rpg-problems-errors-collectors-edition

https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/dark-souls-the-roleplaying-game/news/dark-souls-rpg-rulebook-errors

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 19, 2023

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
They also made a Dark Souls Boardgame core play experience so grindy they were recommending people use the alternate rules from places like BGG instead, then revised the game by releasing two new starter sets you bought to patch your game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All of this is to say I'm frankly surprised that Steamforged hasn't folded completely by now given that all they seem to produce is shovelware garbage. In light of their overall output, I'm inclined to believe Guildball's earlier quality was a fluke.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm still slightly baffled that Steamforged was upset that "people made it competitive."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

I'm still slightly baffled that Steamforged was upset that "people made it competitive."

My understanding is that what they were actually upset by was people criticizing the design decisions they kept making and framed it as their players "treating it too competitively/seriously," the equivalent of handwaving off a bad game by going "oh but it's just beer-and-pretzels fun" or whatever. It's not that they were against it being competitive from some sort of design intent perspective, they were just throwing a tantrum because people were calling out stuff that sucked.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

even if people are taking it competitively and you wanted it as a casual game you can...still do that?

I never played it but I brought one of the teams and my friends were getting pretty into it casually and I eventually would have had they not blown it up

someone once said they were just bored of it and wanted to chase the big money in IPs and kickstarters and yeah I can see that

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

CODChimera posted:

even if people are taking it competitively and you wanted it as a casual game you can...still do that?

I never played it but I brought one of the teams and my friends were getting pretty into it casually and I eventually would have had they not blown it up

someone once said they were just bored of it and wanted to chase the big money in IPs and kickstarters and yeah I can see that

I'm sure from their perspective any material that was only interacted with by the casual audience was a waste of time because they're less likely to rush out and buy new figures on release.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Witcher Old World's getting delivered to people; curious to hear how it plays.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://gamefound.com/projects/fight-in-a-box/conquest-princess-fashion-is-power

Friend of mine has launched the campaign for his latest game. It's a co-op game where the main mechanics are action economy and bag manipulation. Played a demo of it at Adepticon and it went over very well.

I'll also throw in some guilt by mentioning that Seppy is a gay Asian-American, so you're supporting multiple marginalized groups in the gaming industry by buying a copy.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Figured I'd drop this in here since I love the video game. Seems like it should translate fairly well to table, though gently caress there's a lot of miniatures and it's expensive as a result.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tabulagames/the-last-spell-the-board-game

Made by the people who made the darkest dungeon board game I've heard good things about.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Figured I'd drop this in here since I love the video game. Seems like it should translate fairly well to table, though gently caress there's a lot of miniatures and it's expensive as a result.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tabulagames/the-last-spell-the-board-game

Made by the people who made the darkest dungeon board game I've heard good things about.
Woah woah woah woah, hold on there, you almost made me drop my pledge. I do not think this has any connection to Mythic’s Darkest Dungeon game, which I thought looked extremely fiddly, a table hog, and possibly unfinished due to the company collapsing.

This is done by Tabula Games which did Mysthea, Icaion, and Volfyirion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Also I have not seen any positive reviews of the DD board game.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Oh, nevermind I read their backed page instead of their created page. Woops. I've never heard of anything these guys have made.

My buddy liked the darkest dungeon game, I just trusted his take on it. Figure I'll give it a shot someday.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i figured everyone was out of room by now so im very surprised when i see new huge kickstarter miniature games in 2023

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

league of dungeoneers just arrived today and it is also huge, but sensibly there are only standees and no miniatures.

going to dig into it tonight. should be a good one.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

jarofpiss posted:

i figured everyone was out of room by now so im very surprised when i see new huge kickstarter miniature games in 2023

none of them have been fulfilled yet so we've all got plenty of space.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Props to Isofarian Guard for coming with its own storage solution all neatly sorted already right out of the box. Getting a huge heavy box that's like 1.5x Gloomhaven size and expecting to have to spend a whole night just figuring out how to organize it, and then opening it up and seeing:

is a blessing. Especially after the nightmare to sort out that was Aeon's Trespass

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Can someone assure me that I didn’t make a mistake by backing Sins of Heracles?

I need a new game to distract me from the fact that I haven’t finished Gloomhaven, frosthaven, tainted grail, or 7th Continent. I absolutely love the idea of campaign games but i haven’t come close to finishing one.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

snickles posted:

I need a new game to distract me from the fact that I haven’t finished Gloomhaven, frosthaven, tainted grail, or 7th Continent. I absolutely love the idea of campaign games but i haven’t come close to finishing one.

I've played through the first campaign of ATO now, and while it's a pretty good game, I can not in good conscience recommend this to anyone who doesn't have an rear end load of time and table space to play this. It's a monster of a game with some really cool parts and other incredibly fiddly bits.

If you want to make meaningful progress on it, you probably aren't playing any other games for a while.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

snickles posted:

What have you backed in the campaign?
Act 1 of Aeon Trespass Odyssey took me about 30 hours to finish over a few days with one friend and was an incredibly satisfying gaming experience. Gonna do Act 2 and 3 over the summer. Its long, its a massive table hog, its difficult, its complex but it was very satisfying. Its not a mistake to back a game like that, but you are probably best blocking off a little time to dive in a do it as part of an extended session.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

interrodactyl posted:

I've played through the first campaign of ATO now, and while it's a pretty good game, I can not in good conscience recommend this to anyone who doesn't have an rear end load of time and table space to play this. It's a monster of a game with some really cool parts and other incredibly fiddly bits.

If you want to make meaningful progress on it, you probably aren't playing any other games for a while.

I went back and forth on ATO so many times in the past few days.. and ultimately changed my pledge from the 4-figure all-in of ATO + SoH to the $1 pledge manager pledge about 2 minutes before the campaign ended.

I am now feeling the opposite of buyer's remorse (FOMO, I guess?) but I just have to trust my gut that I made the right call on my perceived inability to get a game like ATO to the table on a regular basis, even for solo play. And I didn't necessarily want to commit my entire board gaming life to a single game when there are so many other games that I like to play / have on my to-play list.

I'm sure I will still feel a little twinge of regret every time I see it mentioned on forums, YouTube, or BGG for the next few years, though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

I went back and forth on ATO so many times in the past few days.. and ultimately changed my pledge from the 4-figure all-in of ATO + SoH to the $1 pledge manager pledge about 2 minutes before the campaign ended.

I am now feeling the opposite of buyer's remorse (FOMO, I guess?) but I just have to trust my gut that I made the right call on my perceived inability to get a game like ATO to the table on a regular basis, even for solo play. And I didn't necessarily want to commit my entire board gaming life to a single game when there are so many other games that I like to play / have on my to-play list.

I'm sure I will still feel a little twinge of regret every time I see it mentioned on forums, YouTube, or BGG for the next few years, though.

There were definitely some issues and concerns over the amount of content added, I ended up just going for Summer, might add more in the pledge manager over time but also might not

I don't think ITO have plans to do another campaign for awhile but I hope they take the feedback on board and possibly lower the scope next time

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I watched Efka's review of AT:O on No Pun Included and I am perfectly fine with having skipped this pledge.

Also, I think the graphic design of the cards and other game material in AT:O is ugly as sin and thoroughly without any consideration of utility or legibility.

The minis and rt are pretty though and it definitely LOOKS like the kind of game I'd want, if it had spent a bit more time in the oven.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't watch NPI, but I haven't agreed with what I've heard of a single one of their takes on big KS games, I don't think. AT:O is spectacular so far and is an easy contender for best boss battler on the market.

I could have done with a less maximalist campaign just now, though. I want more of their games, I just don't need as much as they keep stuffing in single crowdfunding windows.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Worldbreakers has just launched their expansion campaign! It's a bit like netrunner crossed with magic, set in an alternate history Mongol empire. The base game is fantastic, can't recommend it highly enough.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

malkav11 posted:

I don't watch NPI, but I haven't agreed with what I've heard of a single one of their takes on big KS games, I don't think.

The hour they put into praising and criticizing it felt pretty fair to me. They suggested Oathsworn as a better boss battler and Sleeping Gods as a better exploration narrative and their reasons for prioritizing them as such were pretty sound by my tastes. You should give them a watch, agree or disagree, because they're some of the most thoughtful games discussion to be found on YT, dumb name notwithstanding.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I watched all of the NPI review, never seen any of their stuff before. seemed okay, it wasn't like quackalope levels of nonsense and he clearly put time into learning the game.

I was gonna watch his Tainted Grail review as well

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
yeah Efka has very dumb and/or navel-gazing takes sometimes and their skits are nowhere near the quality of SUSD's (they do have their momentos though) but they're one of the better BG channels on YT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I've found NPI's reviews to be extremely hit-or-miss, and very often not at all impartial or objective.

ATO is extremely good. It's the best parts of Kingdom Death Monster (the boss battles), but improved, combined with a genuinely interesting map movement layer and actually solid writing. And no gross poo poo like KDM gets into.