Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Killer robot posted:

Historically it's not normal to expect there to be and people who say it with certainty are nearly always wrong. At this point in 2015 Clinton was a pretty safe bet but lots of people were as positive she'd be running against juggernauts like Walker or Jeb as they were about DeSantis cruising to the White House 2024 not that long ago. And that's a year out from the primary. For better recent equivalents What were the big bets for 2008 GOP candidates in 2003?
Well McCain had finished second in their last open primary so he was one of the top possibilities for 2008. People did think he was too old, at 72 (lol). In 2012 they would nominate the second-place finisher from the last primary again. Rick Santorum was probably thinking, 2016 is my chance!

Zwabu posted:

Whitmer? Duckworth? Newsom? Sherrod Brown? Just because we spend all our time here talking about Biden and his lame VP pick and Bernie doesn't mean there's zero bench.
Yeah, I mean, there is a tendency here to just dismiss candidates out of hand. Roughly speaking, any Senator or Governor can run for President at any time.

Historically, nobody "seems like a presidential candidate" until they're actually winning a primary. We just got a little thrown off by the last three Dem nominees being an obvious superstar and two "living legends". But nobody gave a gently caress about, e.g., Bill Clinton in 1991.

DarkCrawler posted:

And who are these people, so pure of heart, that they will forgo someone driving their interests because they are mean to Donald Trump?
You can be mean to Trump, but you can't just say any old mean thing to him and you can absolutely go too far.

Let's take your example. "Haha, your brother died of drinking himself to death." Well, gee, I had a loved one drink themselves to death. A lot of people have. Do you think it would make them feel good to think about Fred Trump Jr.'s pain and suffering? Or do you think that pointing out that Trump has suffered the same personal tragedy that they did would humanize him? Do you it's more likely that they would say, "Gee, I am super excited to participate in this election!" or do you think they would get depressed about politics and disengage?

Speaking as somebody who is, combined, 125% American and Finnish, I think what you are missing in the whole equation is that while Americans are not nicer than Finns, they value the appearance of niceness much more than Finns. Certainly the kind of Americans who ask themselves questions like "should I vote for a Presidential candidate?" and "which one?", who have spent their whole lives so studiously trying not to piss anyone off that they forgot to ever actually form a single opinion.

e: More responses!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also pretty specifically a Democrat thing too at this point, thanks to having aggressively shut out younger generations for near two decades at this point at least while Republicans quickly remove anyone who doesn't seem useful even to stonewall.
Eh... Republicans are also led by ancient ghouls, it's just that they're furtive billionaires like Harlan Crow and Rupert Murdoch, who then send idiots with good hair like Matt Gaetz to represent them in Congress, cast their votes, and absorb their scandals. (They are also about to nominate a presidential candidate born in 1946 for the third election in a row.)

To whatever extent the Republicans have been less captured by an entrenched leadership it's because their voters are constantly flipping out on those leaders and beating them in primaries (Eric Cantor) or otherwise forcing them to end their careers (Boehner, Ryan, McCarthy six months from now.) And at the end of the day we are still talking about Mitch McConnell's party.

aBagorn posted:

scuttlebutt out of the PA dem machine is that Josh Shapiro has his eye on 2028 so add another milky and toasted white dude to the pile
Shapiro is Jewish, so while you could describe him as white, this is an oversimplification.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mellow Seas posted:

Eh... Republicans are also led by ancient ghouls, it's just that they're furtive billionaires like Harlan Crow and Rupert Murdoch, who then send idiots with good hair like Matt Gaetz to represent them in Congress, cast their votes, and absorb their scandals. (They are also about to run a man born in 1946 for the third election in a row.)

To whatever extent the Republicans have been less captured by an entrenched leadership it's because their voters are constantly flipping out on those leaders and beating them in primaries (Eric Cantor) or otherwise forcing them to end their careers (Boehner, Ryan, McCarthy six months from now.) And at the end of the day we are still talking about Mitch McConnell's party.

I feel the difference here is then that the Republican kingmakers care about results and recognise political office as a means of accomplishing that- and where the actual power lies under capitalism- while Democrats seem to be firmly in thrall to a cult of careerism where you cling to the big chair for every possible second like St Peter will judge you by your political resume. Either that or they spent so long clearing the bench to make drat well sure this time Hillary won't have any viable challengers that they forgot why they were doing it, and now it's just what they do.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Shapiro is Jewish, so while you could describe him as white, this is an oversimplification.

I know he's Jewish, i met him at a bar mitzvah (his nephew or some other relation) at the shul i work at.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not all that surprised when women, who got into politics in the sixties and seventies and dealt with men constantly telling them they'll never get far, reply to anyone pressuring them to retire because of their age with, "Over my dead body."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

nine-gear crow posted:

The Democratic party establishment will never allow her to become the nominee, and even if she somehow made it to the general, the US electorate would never willingly choose a woman for president, so pick a more "realistic" option from your slate of milquetoast white men, please.

A woman has already run as the Democratic Party’s nominee and won the popular vote by almost 3 million votes. Obviously that’s not winning under the current system, but to see that happen less than a decade ago and then declare with absolute certainty that a woman would never win is absolutely bizarre.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Baronash posted:

A woman has already run as the Democratic Party’s nominee and won the popular vote by almost 3 million votes. Obviously that’s not winning under the current system, but to see that happen less than a decade ago and then declare with absolute certainty that a woman would never win is absolutely bizarre.

I think you missed the tone of that, but that'll absolutely be an argument pulled out when the wrong woman tries to run.

Star Man posted:

I'm not all that surprised when women, who got into politics in the sixties and seventies and dealt with men constantly telling them they'll never get far, reply to anyone pressuring them to retire because of their age with, "Over my dead body."

And now they've lost you Roe.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Roe was taken. Nancy Pelosi wasn't just carrying it around and then dropped it. Blame the people who do the bad stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Enablers are culpable.

People itt talk about 'playing the game' of politics. Playing it extremely poorly should be judged.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Person who tried to stop something and failed," the commonly accepted definition of "enabler."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, wait the Space Force is still an actual thing?

Space Force was basically just reorganizing different space-related groups in the Air Force into one department. It was something they have been recommending since 2000, but never really got done. The only real significant change in operations was that Trump thought it was cool and gave them their own uniforms. Otherwise, it was mostly an org chart restructure and a symbolic "we care about space/space is the future" statement.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not defending them. I think Feinstein can't serve anymore, and Ginsburg failed to recognize the increasing polarization and the consequences of dying during a Republican administration.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Space Force was basically just reorganizing different space-related groups in the Air Force into one department. It was something they have been recommending since 2000, but never really got done. The only real significant change in operations was that Trump thought it was cool and gave them their own uniforms.
The other significant change was the inspiration of a pretty-not-bad Netflix show starring Steve Carrell and John Malkovich. Never would've happened without Trump's signal boost!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know if I saw anybody mention this, I heard it on "Majority Report": Feinstein basically said some stuff upon her return that removes any question whatsoever as to whether she has a shred of competence remaining.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein says 'I've been here' after being asked about her absence from Capitol Hill

quote:

During her arrival at the Capitol for votes, she appeared confused and was heard asking staff, "Where am I going?"

quote:

And in an interaction with reporters Tuesday, as reported by the Los Angeles Times and Slate, Feinstein appeared confused by questions about her absence, saying, "I haven't been gone. I've been here, I've been voting. Please, either know or don't know."
She didn't even realize she had been gone.

quote:

It is not clear if Feinstein was referring to just the past week since her return or referring to the past several months while she was recovering at home.
Is it not clear?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mellow Seas posted:

Blame the people who do the bad stuff.
-
"Person who tried to stop something and failed," the commonly accepted definition of "enabler."

You can blame multiple people for bad things when they contributed to the bad things happening.

Feinstein is holding up the judicial appointment system at a time when Dems desperately need to make a bunch of appointments, for no other reason than feeding her own power hungry ego.

RGB had the opportunity to prevent the conservatives from taking the Supreme Court, knowing Roe was in danger, and again chose to feed her own ego than take that option.

Both of those things are themselves bad things. And bad things done to hurt the cause are far more egregious when done by allies, and it is far more *useful* to criticize that behaviour since an appropriate narrative will reduce the odds of it happening in the future, specifically because the motivating factor for doing those bad things was the narrative.

There is no practical benefit to blaming the enemy in this way - doing so only influences their behaviour to make them more likely to act in the way we don't want. There are other ways of engaging with them, and we are pursuing those ways. It's not like anyone here finds the Republicans guiltless or not monstrous.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not like anyone here finds the Republicans guiltless or not monstrous.
No, but it feels like they're regarded as ogres, or NPCs, almost beyond moral examination. People act like the Democrats are the preschool teachers who are supposed to keep the kids from putting the blocks in their mouths, which seems off kilter to me when the kids putting the blocks in their mouths are 50 year old men holding semiautomatic rifles. Maybe we should speak with them directly.

This country just ain't gonna be any good as long as 45%+ of the population is willing to vote for those kinds of people (and 25% is eager to vote for them). Even if we entirely changed our government, those people would still be here.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 19, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

No, but it feels like they're regarded as ogres, or NPCs, almost beyond moral examination. People act like the Democrats are the preschool teachers who are supposed to keep the kids from putting the blocks in their mouths, which seems off kilter to me when the kids putting the blocks in their mouths are 50 year old men holding semiautomatic rifles. Maybe we should speak with them directly.

I think of them more as orcs but that term has been reserved for Russians, apparently

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Trump did that. He even said so!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The Republicans are closer to enemies in a war than kids in a preschool. Criticizing your soldiers for leaving gaping holes in your defense against the enemy is not casting them in the role of preschool teacher.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC most of the really ancient ones aren't even boomers yet, though the difference is probably academic.

It's also pretty specifically a Democrat thing too at this point, thanks to having aggressively shut out younger generations for near two decades at this point at least while Republicans quickly remove anyone who doesn't seem useful even to stonewall.

The Republicans have more leadership turnover because the leaders leave politics for cushy corporate jobs as soon as things get annoying. Guys like Gingrich, Hastert, Boehner, and Ryan weren't removed - they voluntarily retired to go spend the rest of their days in highly-paid sinecures. They left leadership when they left Congress. There's occasional exceptions, like Cantor (who was primaried) or McConnell (who's clung to the top spot in the Senate GOP caucus longer than any other GOP majority/minority leader in history) but for the most part GOP leadership seems to be in it to get rich and then retire to luxury.

Dem leadership seems much less interested in taking the revolving door to a wealthy retirement. Rather than spending a couple of terms in leadership and then retiring to lobbying or corporate board seats, Dem leaders tend to stay in Congress for the long-term, sometimes remaining in Congress even after they step down from a leadership seat.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Feinstein's entourage just needs to hold on for a couple more years until technology advances, and then they can keep her (corpse) behind closed doors and a regular delivery of AI deepfake appearances.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GlyphGryph posted:

The Republicans are closer to enemies in a war than kids in a preschool. Criticizing your soldiers for leaving gaping holes in your defense against the enemy is not casting them in the role of preschool teacher.
It's not really anything like a war. American liberals are not at war with American conservatives. We go out every day and shop at Republicans' stores, we say hi to our Republican neighbors, we go fishing with our Republican grandpa, we cash checks from our Republican bosses.

Now, maybe there's something like a political war, but that war follows very specific rules. The main rule is "how much power you have is determined by how many votes you get." And even Sun Tzu himself could not win that war, within those rules, without popular support. As long as the Republicans have support from all those people listed above, who we are quite clearly living harmoniously with, Republican politicians will have a good fighting position.

I wouldn't criticize a soldier who failed to defend his position against the enemy if I hadn't given him a rifle to shoot back with...

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The "working forever until you die" seems like a Boomer thing rather than just a older women thing to be honest. Many I've met are scared to retire because they figure they will never be able to get another job, or don't know what they would do with themselves afterwards.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mercury_Storm posted:

The "working forever until you die" seems like a Boomer thing rather than just a older women thing to be honest. Many I've met are scared to retire because they figure they will never be able to get another job, or don't know what they would do with themselves afterwards.

There’s loads of people my age who say they wouldn’t know what to do with themselves without work. I pity these sad, broken people

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A lot of people get most of their social interaction, time away from their spouse, routine, and affirmation from work. I don't think I will be one of those people, but I can understand how some people feel like their entire social life, routine, and reward/challenge/affirmation system for the last 30 years going away would leave them not sure what to do.

It is definitely more prevalent among older generations, but it is not an exclusively boomer thing.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC most of the really ancient ones aren't even boomers yet, though the difference is probably academic.

Not sure what the support for this is, at least in Congress--ages seem pretty similar between the parties, really:

quote:

Overall, the median age of House Democrats is 58.1, while the median age of House Republicans is 57.4. In the Senate, Democrats’ median age is nearly on par with that of Republicans (65.4 vs. 65.3).

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-r...118th-congress/

And as far as leadership goes, Jeffries is younger than McCarthy and Schumer is younger than McConnell (yes, they're both old).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thad Cochran was so demented he could't dress himself and was dead a year after he finally "resigned due to health issues."

this was in 2018.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FizFashizzle posted:

Thad Cochran was so demented he could't dress himself and was dead a year after he finally "resigned due to health issues."

this was in 2018.

McCain also died in office and missed 8 months of votes.

And Strom Thurmond was only wheelchaired into the Senate to vote on close votes for about 2 years.

McCain wasn't technically a mental issue from age, though.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Now, maybe there's something like a political war, but that war follows very specific rules. The main rule is "how much power you have is determined by how many votes you get."

Hard disagree. The main rule is "how much power you have is determined by whose votes you get and how effectively you bend state apparatuses to maintain that power." Republicans have no problem understanding this. When Scalia died, they stole a Supreme Court seat. When Scott Walker lost the governorship to a democrat in Wisconsin, they held a lame duck session to reduce the power of the governor. When an abortion pill threatened their control over women, a judge acted way outside their purview to ban it. When republicans were one vote short of a supermajority in the NC state house, they convinced a democrat to defy the will of the voters who elected her and switch parties. It's a story playing out all over the country at every level of government.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McCain also died in office and missed 8 months of votes.

And Strom Thurmond was only wheelchaired into the Senate to vote on close votes for about 2 years.

McCain wasn't technically a mental issue from age, though.

And McCain specifically refused to resign to avoid setting off an emergency vote to replace him. He had to make it long enough that the governor could appoint a (suitable) replacement.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronash posted:

Hard disagree. The main rule is "how much power you have is determined by whose votes you get and how effectively you bend state apparatuses to maintain that power."

When Scalia died, they stole a Supreme Court seat.
They were able to do this because people voted for them. If people hadn't voted for them they couldn't have done it.

quote:

When Scott Walker lost the governorship to a democrat in Wisconsin, they held a lame duck session to reduce the power of the governor.[quote]They were able to do this because people voted for them. If people hadn't voted for them they couldn't have done it.
They were able to do this because people voted for them. If people hadn't voted for them they couldn't have done it.

quote:

When an abortion pill threatened their control over women, a judge acted way outside their purview to ban it.
That's not actual policy and that ruling never went into effect and never will. Also, the judge was appointed because people voted for Republicans. If people hadn't voted for them they couldn't have done it.

quote:

When republicans were one vote short of a supermajority in the NC state house, they convinced a democrat to defy the will of the voters who elected her and switch parties. It's a story playing out all over the country at every level of government.
Oh, "convincing" people. Why didn't Dems think of that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Debt ceiling talks have broken down again.

The Senate is still going into recess for a week next Monday, but Schumer says they can come back if there is an emergency. Biden has cancelled his trip after the G7 and is coming back to the U.S. immediately after the meeting.

There is about a week left to lift the debt ceiling through some method without a default.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1659581805517758466
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1659581447370358786
https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/1659580181277753345

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 19, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The specific individuals being criticized are not without their "rifles". Feinstein has the power to remedy the situation and allow Dem work to be done and has opted not to use it - and that's ignoring her opposition to improving things in the past. RGB had incredible power and could absolutely have retired in a way that guaranteed the security of both her cause and her legacy and instead she opted to roll the dice.
Both of them have put themselves ahead of the cause and party, and in doing so caused real and significant damage, and their reputations should tightly be tarnished to discourage others from doing the same.

Why you think "the votes" are relevant to this is a mystery - the correct choice for both of them did not require any votes, the votes had already been collected and they had been empowered to make the necessary decision and opted not to.

Would they ideally not have been put in a situation where we had to rely on them to do the right thing? Sure, of course. But that doesn't change the fact that they have let us down and it doesn't render them blameless.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, wait the Space Force is still an actual thing?

I’m dating a lady whose son is in the Space Force and it kinda rules for him, he’s a computer geek so he’s getting free education and a lifetime of good military benefits in exchange for what’s apparently a basicass IT gig in California and no combat whatsoever.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Star Man posted:

Yeah, that's a great point.

Feinstein, Boxer, Murray & Braun were all elected to the Senate in 1992, which was dubbed "The Year of the Woman" because of the widespread reaction to the repulsiveness of Clarence Thomas & the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings after GHWB nominated him to scotus.

They weren't the first female senators--I'm old enough to remember Margaret Chase Smith (who was born in 1897!) serving in the Senate--but it was pretty earth-shattering at the time as a political response to hearing a bunch of guys titter over, then shrug off, Anita Hill's testimony during the hearings, and it was the greatest number of women serving there concurrently up to then.

And I'm pretty sure it was the first (if not the last) time a state was represented by two women in the Senate.

To someone like Feinstein who, it appears, has lost her concept of time & place, it makes sense that what's left of her mind reverts to her glory days, including being a feminist groundbreaker at the time she first became a senator.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Debt ceiling talks
No way in hell they are defaulting, and no way that the House GOP would agree to anything that the White House and Senate would accept. They're going to use the 14th amendment.

Note that they have said, multiple times, "no, we're not going to mint the coin," but when you ask about the the 14th they say "hmm, yeah, that's interesting isn't it? Anyway we would prefer legislation."

I think the coin and the 14th are both virtually guaranteed to work, and both are subject to the Supreme Court's opinion. It's pretty obvious that the "I think we should follow the constitution" maneuver is more politically appealing to the layman than the "create money from nothing" maneuver, so that's what they're going with.

GlyphGryph posted:

Why you think "the votes" are relevant to this is a mystery - the correct choice for both of them did not require any votes, the votes had already been collected and they had been empowered to make the necessary decision and opted not to.
Because if you get the votes then little marginal piddly poo poo like an old lady getting shingles and going mad doesn't ruin your progress! If you get the votes you just appoint RBG's replacement when her dumb stubborn rear end croaks! I'm not defending Feinstein('s handling) or RBG's stupid decisions.

Winning 51% is not enough to get the desired results. That's not how our system works. Republicans can't really get poo poo done when they win 51% either. The fact that winning 51% isn't enough doesn't mean that the votes don't matter. It just means you have to get more of them. How much more? There's not a magic number. Every seat helps.

Winning by any kind of significant margin is hard, and it relies on convincing rhetoric at all levels from grassroots to the top, at the same time that there is another group, of approximately equal power and influence, trying to achieve the exact opposite thing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

=
Dem leadership seems much less interested in taking the revolving door to a wealthy retirement. Rather than spending a couple of terms in leadership and then retiring to lobbying or corporate board seats, Dem leaders tend to stay in Congress for the long-term, sometimes remaining in Congress even after they step down from a leadership seat.

This is not a breakdown by party, but makes me skeptical of your claim, given the number of Democratic names I recognize.

The Senate has always attracted & kept the olds--it used to be that almost all its members had first served in the U.S. House of Representatives for a while (including those four women in 1992, iirc)--but I do think there are factors other than their hearts being invested in public service that weigh toward that.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Feinstein has the power to remedy the situation and allow Dem work to be done and has opted not to use it

She literally no longer does.

Part of the diagnostic criteria of Alzheimer’s is “lack of insight.”

She no longer knows who or what she is.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

That's not actual policy and that ruling never went into effect and never will. Also, the judge was appointed because people voted for Republicans. If people hadn't voted for them they couldn't have done it.

That's not the argument you were making. You specifically said that the amount of power you have is determined by the number of votes you get. Well a plurality of voters pulled a lever for the man who was constitutionally empowered to fill the vacant supreme court seat. If anything, the point you're making here supports my argument, which is that power is determined largely by whose votes you get, like the votes of people in states where nobody lives, which inexplicably grants the residents of those states a greater voice.

Meanwhile, acting like the decisions of political appointees (such as certain judges or heads of state agencies) are not policy decisions is absolutely bizarre. This is what I was talking about when I said that holding power involves bending state apparatuses to your will. The choices of political appointees in charge of federal, state, and local agencies influence an absolutely massive amount of the day to day lives of citizens living within those areas, and oftentimes these decisions or directives are harder to revert than the "big decisions" being made in legislatures because of the combined effects of brain drain, neglected infrastructure, and lack of access.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronash posted:

That's not the argument you were making. You specifically said that the amount of power you have is determined by the number of votes you get.
Yeah and I am really, really regretting not putting in the clause "with some caveats" like I was considering. I thought it was obvious. Oh well.

Baronash posted:

Meanwhile, acting like the decisions of political appointees (such as certain judges or heads of state agencies) are not policy decisions is absolutely bizarre.
If you want to call the abortion pill ban a "policy decision" you can but it's not "policy" because it never did and never will affect the laws of the United States or anybody's ability to get the drugs. It's not an accomplishment by Republicans, it's just some embarrassing pointless poo poo one of them did.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Willa Rogers posted:

This is not a breakdown by party, but makes me skeptical of your claim, given the number of Democratic names I recognize.

The Senate has always attracted & kept the olds--it used to be that almost all its members had first served in the U.S. House of Representatives for a while (including those four women in 1992, iirc)--but I do think there are factors other than their hearts being invested in public service that weigh toward that.

I'd say it's more a matter of most (all?) politicians will weigh their options at some point and decide whether it's worth it to continue in politics, or semi-retire for a paycheck. Part of that is the likelihood of success in either arena - any Senator who is facing a stiff enough electoral challenge may decide it's not worth the time and stress to campaign again. There are also politicians who may find it difficult to find the consulting/lobbying job they want, depending on how many people they pissed off, which would figure into the decision. Sinema and Cruz are two people who fit that bill.

And of course, there are probably true believers for both sides of the coin as well - those who see politics as their goal, a career in public service, vs. those who just want a cushy 6-7 figure job at a think tank, lobbying firm, or law firm.