Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1659193523235856384?t=SIRWr-fvltXT0bPZQEeY1g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Neat, more SEED.

As for the dubbing question, I figure it varies. I know that Akira and at least one Ghibli movie recorded prior to animation and then they synced up the movements to the words.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think storyboarding at a minimum is done

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/uran120/status/1659087588609728514?t=rXRdNge6jTxfygMxuY1vUw&s=19

This is getting out of hand.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Operation Hyrule Roller is proceeding according to plan.

Nonsense. They killed the Breaker franchise, so Nintendo is simply picking up the slack.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Decapitation via bazooka is still the coldest revenge ever served.

In the book it's even colder. Char carries Kycilia to Ghiren in the hand of his Rick Dom after Zum City had been captured. She shoots Ghiren in the dick with a beam rifle and explodes him. Before the gibs of Ghiren finish hitting the ground Char then spikes Kycilia into the pavement.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Midjack posted:

In the book it's even colder. Char carries Kycilia to Ghiren in the hand of his Rick Dom after Zum City had been captured. She shoots Ghiren in the dick with a beam rifle and explodes him. Before the gibs of Ghiren finish hitting the ground Char then spikes Kycilia into the pavement.

He doesn’t spike her, he just rotates the hand and she drops

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Midjack posted:

Being a new Gundam fan is so cool, there’s so much fun stuff I get to learn :allears:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Being a new Gundam fan is so cool, there’s so much fun stuff I get to learn :allears:

I think the Lalah/Char/Amuro triangle works way better in terms of how the story plays out into Zeta Gundam and CCA, but I must admit that I am extremely curious to see how Zeta/CCA would've played out if Amuro and Sayla got together like they did in the book. Char nearly blows up the Earth sheerly because Amuro 'isn't good enough' for his sister? (I really would prefer that Sayla not get fridged in this adaptation).

Would prefer them to leave out the weird-rear end 'military tradition', though. Those who know, know.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LuiCypher posted:

I think the Lalah/Char/Amuro triangle works way better in terms of how the story plays out into Zeta Gundam and CCA, but I must admit that I am extremely curious to see how Zeta/CCA would've played out if Amuro and Sayla got together like they did in the book. Char nearly blows up the Earth sheerly because Amuro 'isn't good enough' for his sister? (I really would prefer that Sayla not get fridged in this adaptation).

Sayla got fridged in her own way in the shows. Every major surviving White Base member returns for Zeta Gundam for at least a couple episodes, but Sayla gets a couple shots during Quattro’s speech to the Federation, and no lines. She deserved better!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, that was mostly because her voice actress was too busy to record lines.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Sayla got fridged in her own way in the shows. Every major surviving White Base member returns for Zeta Gundam for at least a couple episodes, but Sayla gets a couple shots during Quattro’s speech to the Federation, and no lines. She deserved better!

She got fridged in the worst way possible, and that's for everyone else to more or less ghost her. At least in a typical fridging, the death of said person provides motivation and drives the action forward. When they get ghosted like she did they're just... gone. Like tears... in rain.

Like, that's where being romantically entangled with Amuro would be interesting. Heck, they could still do that even if you kept the Lalah/Char/Amuro triangle - just have Sayla take Beltorchika's place in Zeta's plot. Have Amuro's sudden realization and acknowledgment of Sayla's feelings towards him be the driving motivation for him to work through his PTSD from Lalah's death and be yet-another point of tension between him and Char. It wasn't enough for Lalah to die because of Amuro's involvement, so now he's getting involved with Char's sister?!

CCA then becomes about Amuro + Sayla working together with Bright and Co. to save Earth from Char, who's stuck in the past and is positively frothing over the fact that Amuro and Sayla have moved on to the future and even have children. Which, hilariously, makes him more or less an insane drunk uncle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LuiCypher posted:

Would prefer them to leave out the weird-rear end 'military tradition', though. Those who know, know.

You know you can say it. It's weird as hell but as far as Tomino weirdness towards women goes, pubic hair mementos is pretty low on the list.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Arc Hammer posted:

You know you can say it. It's weird as hell but as far as Tomino weirdness towards women goes, pubic hair mementos is pretty low on the list.

Tomino and Anno both publicly acknowledging that they are perverts and griping over the fact that Miyazaki will never admit to being a pervert like them is pretty funny, though.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

You say everyone ghosted Sayla but how do you know she wasn't the one to ghost everyone else, huh? :v: Sayla made the smartest choice of using the filthy Zabi gold she got from Char to start a bunch of orphanages for war orphans while occasionally bouncing around vacation spots.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not getting involved with any part of zeta or cca makes sayla the smartest person in the uc.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

not getting involved with any part of zeta or cca makes sayla the smartest person in the uc.

Yeah. I understand fully the optics on having the most prominent female lead from OG Gundam being shuffled mostly off screen is not great, but on the other hand the fact Sayla got the hell out shows she's way ahead of the curve. She also saved Leina and apparently is doing stuff in the background so it's not like she's just been twiddling her thumbs either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, again, it wasn't really a deliberate writing decision more than it was a victim of circumstance

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Sayla disappearing is why she's the smarter of the Deikun siblings.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
really, anyone who willingly associated with char was pretty dumb. that dude sucks.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

really, anyone who willingly associated with char was pretty dumb. that dude sucks.

Now that Captain Quattro fella on the other hand, he's pretty great. Everyone can feel good about associating with the ace of AEUG and pilot of the Hyaku Shiki!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the brief scenes we do get of Sayla always seem to show her living her best life as the happiest person in the Universal Century, chilling on a beach resort with cocktails. It's not exactly a mean-spirited depiction.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LuiCypher posted:

She got fridged in the worst way possible, and that's for everyone else to more or less ghost her. At least in a typical fridging, the death of said person provides motivation and drives the action forward. When they get ghosted like she did they're just... gone. Like tears... in rain.

That is in no way fridging. Like, I personally think "fridging" is a pretty godawful way to think about stories but the definition is a female character dying to motivate a male character. Surviving offscreen but nobody cares is like, the opposite of fridging.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Begemot posted:

Now that Captain Quattro fella on the other hand, he's pretty great. Everyone can feel good about associating with the ace of AEUG and pilot of the Hyaku Shiki!

Best thing is, he never betrayed anybody in his entire life!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

amigolupus posted:

You say everyone ghosted Sayla but how do you know she wasn't the one to ghost everyone else, huh? :v: Sayla made the smartest choice of using the filthy Zabi gold she got from Char to start a bunch of orphanages for war orphans while occasionally bouncing around vacation spots.

Anime Sayla is the absolute winner of the Universal Century

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

War and Pieces posted:

Anime Sayla is the absolute winner of the Universal Century

Sayla doesn't show up in the anime again, but she is in ZZ.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She shows up in ZZ to say "Char may come back to counterattack, in theaters soon"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

She shows up in ZZ to say "Char may come back to counterattack, in theaters soon"

We're talking about Anime Sayla

You're talking about Real Story Sayla.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/umedachanka/status/1659623007151685633?t=jqGzwNYR8EFzhCgAEjbdsw&s=19

Tomino might go on about the state of Nanai's pussy but Fukui aims higher.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I fear for the future of Gundam. This loving idiot in charge of UC, Tomino probably pushing up daisies this decade, SEED getting a perfectly undeserved movie, an inordinate amount of time being spent on throway garbage like Build-noun, interesting and experimental series like Thunderbolt being sidelined for safe late-season Simpsonsesque nonsense like Origins/Doan's. We are simultaneously being inundated with a level of Gundam that was thought heretofore implausible, and yet it's all dull at best.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nanai and Char queered being straight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think Seed deserves a movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I think Seed deserves a movie.

It's had two chances at glory, and the director more than enough time in the spotlight. SEED's bloated and rotting carcass no longer needs to be kept under the exhibition spotlight, criers calling all to its malformed corpse. Let us turn away, let a new work be born out of the talented and hungry young men and women working at sunrise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I fear for the future of Gundam. This loving idiot in charge of UC, Tomino probably pushing up daisies this decade, SEED getting a perfectly undeserved movie, an inordinate amount of time being spent on throway garbage like Build-noun, interesting and experimental series like Thunderbolt being sidelined for safe late-season Simpsonsesque nonsense like Origins/Doan's. We are simultaneously being inundated with a level of Gundam that was thought heretofore implausible, and yet it's all dull at best.

G-Witch....?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

It's had two chances at glory, and the director more than enough time in the spotlight. SEED's bloated and rotting carcass no longer needs to be kept under the exhibition spotlight, criers calling all to its malformed corpse. Let us turn away, let a new work be born out of the talented and hungry young men and women working at sunrise.

Seed has been out of the spotlight for, like, at least 15 years now. There have been four new AUs introduced in that time with full on mainline TV shows. 00 even got a movie. Plus all the Build stuff, and Tomino came back to do a UC show. The most exciting thing to happen with Seed in the past decade was when it got a new non-Astray manga that got a MG for it’s weird Gundam.

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of Seed, but “it’s been hogging the limelight” is not one.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Doan was great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Re:Rise is a better conceived and written story than a significant percentage of "real" Gundam.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

G-Witch....?

It made me rewatch Utena, that's my review.

Gripweed posted:

Seed has been out of the spotlight for, like, at least 15 years now. There have been four new AUs introduced in that time with full on mainline TV shows. 00 even got a movie. Plus all the Build stuff, and Tomino came back to do a UC show. The most exciting thing to happen with Seed in the past decade was when it got a new non-Astray manga that got a MG for it’s weird Gundam.

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of Seed, but “it’s been hogging the limelight” is not one.
You're misunderstanding, I'm not saying SEED is hogging the spotlight; SEED is so calamitously disgusting, repulsive, that it simply deserves naught the chance at redemption. Like AGE it should be locked away, hidden in the deepest vaults, entombed in the farthest Earth. Let our hearts and minds be cleansed of its ghastly visage. Let us cleanse the franchise of its taint. Burn it, send the smoke to heaven and let us be restored.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Doan was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Seed isn’t that bad. WfM is great. And if somebody wanted to take a whack at Age, giving it a Re Rise treatment, I’d be willing to give that a shot.