Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I figure he's copying the high school girl 'squee' but without the animated context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
So Snout is currently demonstrating his kindness by doing an anime glomp on an unsuspecting person, making his hand injury worse. Great.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Cloacamazing! posted:

So Snout is currently demonstrating his kindness by doing an anime glomp on an unsuspecting person, making his hand injury worse. Great.

He will be known more for his kindness than for his wisdom.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Hippocrass posted:

He will be known more for his kindness than for his wisdom.

I still love how absolutely damning that faintest of praise is.

If you could measure kindness on a 1 to 100 scale, Snout would be lucky to hit double digits.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

YF-23 posted:

There's something about that panel three pose which has shown up every so often, the holding your hands crossed close to the chest out of joy, that just annoys me. I don't remember if mookie's drawn it for anyone other than orcs so it might be supposed to be a cultural gesture? But it looks weird and unnatural in a way that I can't quite put my finger on.

the orcs are very concerned about wakanda

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

yeah actually they will posted:

the orcs are very concerned about wakanda
dominickanda forever.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
CHAPTER 26: THE MARCH ACROSS MALTAK, Part 10: REBIRTH

Asses, asses everywhere.

No idea why Luna is dying suddenly other than Mookie deciding this story needed more dramatic tension.

Jacob confirmed as best character.

Hang on, gotta take a moment for Luna and Dominic to congratulate themselves. Blech.

Holy poo poo, character growth that feels natural and earned? Mookie must've hit his head.

Now the tribes (tribe?) have to start all over again with learning magic and all of that, something that has no negative consequences because Mookie didn't give this any thought beyond "differences bad." Even worse, this means the orcs are practically impossible to tell apart.

Never mind that, here's the un-loving-believable revelation that Donovan understood Orcish all along, he just pretended otherwise because it was "funny." Aside from the fact that it stopped being funny ages ago, the idea that Dadgan kept this idiotic act up in life or death situations is astounding and makes his come off as a total dickweed. Like father, like son. Sadly, the other characters don't beat him to death like they should.

Oh no, a complication! Sort of. Anyone else find it insulting that the first knight of Maltak is a human?

lol, Kiya's horny! Kill me.

And this part ends with everyone loving. Ugh.

Next time: why won't this loving chapter end

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

rudecyrus posted:

CHAPTER 26: THE MARCH ACROSS MALTAK, Part 10: REBIRTH

Asses, asses everywhere.

No idea why Luna is dying suddenly other than Mookie deciding this story needed more dramatic tension.

Jacob confirmed as best character.

Hang on, gotta take a moment for Luna and Dominic to congratulate themselves. Blech.

Holy poo poo, character growth that feels natural and earned? Mookie must've hit his head.

Now the tribes (tribe?) have to start all over again with learning magic and all of that, something that has no negative consequences because Mookie didn't give this any thought beyond "differences bad." Even worse, this means the orcs are practically impossible to tell apart.

Never mind that, here's the un-loving-believable revelation that Donovan understood Orcish all along, he just pretended otherwise because it was "funny." Aside from the fact that it stopped being funny ages ago, the idea that Dadgan kept this idiotic act up in life or death situations is astounding and makes his come off as a total dickweed. Like father, like son. Sadly, the other characters don't beat him to death like they should.

Oh no, a complication! Sort of. Anyone else find it insulting that the first knight of Maltak is a human?

lol, Kiya's horny! Kill me.

And this part ends with everyone loving. Ugh.

Next time: why won't this loving chapter end

I'm not sure why, but these images and the images from the last post aren't showing up at all for me.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Imgur is loving with people, just in case you had any goodwill left for them.

EasyEW posted:

Just a note that we're getting reports from the comic strip thread that imgur-hosted pictures posted today aren't loading for everyone, and going directly to the URL gets them an error page. It hasn't happened on this end yet (not in that exact way, anyway), but attachments 2.0 can't come soon enough.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm not sure why, but these images and the images from the last post aren't showing up at all for me.

Are you using a VPN? We discovered in the Newspaper Comics thread that Imgur is blocking VPNs.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Is there ever an explanation for why all the other almost dead people are free to leave, it's just Reinholdt who can't?

Yeah, no, of course there isn't.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cloacamazing! posted:

Is there ever an explanation for why all the other almost dead people are free to leave, it's just Reinholdt who can't?

Mookie wanted him to sleep with the orc girl.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Hippocrass posted:

Are you using a VPN? We discovered in the Newspaper Comics thread that Imgur is blocking VPNs.

Yup, that did it. Thanks!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Hippocrass posted:

Did it for me too, thanks.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's a little thing but I do kind of like Mookie's use of color in this arc. It's not mind-blowing or anything, but I like it's nice and It's a shame it's not consistent through the rest of these pages (which you could say about a lot of things in Dominic Deegan lmao). And yeah, the Jacob character arc is pretty good.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Jacob having a revelation that death isn't all about being dressed in black lurking cemeteries is especially funny given how we find him in Legacy, once more lurking about in rags.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Nighthand posted:

Jacob having a revelation that death isn't all about being dressed in black lurking cemeteries is especially funny given how we find him in Legacy, once more lurking about in rags.

it's still cool to do those things so i mean why change the fit

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nighthand posted:

Mookie had no idea how else we'd recognize him in his crap art style.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
CHAPTER 26: THE MARCH ACROSS MALTAK, Part 11: EPILOGUE

Let's finish this interminable chapter.

The mountain just disappears for some reason. Love how Kiya's entire character is wanting to gently caress a guy she met... a week ago? How much time has passed?

Now Grench is the leader of the Rhazgala, just because, even though the Rhazgala shouldn't exist anymore because all of their differences were washed away or whatever.

lol stoner joke!!!!

Adrak's alive! And he's cured! Everyone gets a happy ending! Puke.

Get ready...

Mr. Dragon, are you trying to seduce me? Seriously, tell me that doesn't look like a guy in a dragon suit. Also love the line of trees in the background, all the same size and shape.

Here's another infamous strip where the dragon drops a bombshell that Luna is sterile now. I think Mookie realized there were zero negative consequences for our heroes, so he threw this in at the last minute as a twist. This will be the subject of a later arc and it sucks too.

IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF ME ME ME ME I AM SO AWESOME

lmao what a load of poo poo. Keep in mind this moment where Luna is happy and carefree. It won't last.

That kiss looks like she's trying to eat Dominic's face.

faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrt

That's the end of The March Across Maltak. Good loving riddance. There have been worse chapters in this comic but none felt more mind-numbing and meandering than this. Pages and pages of characters bickering, walking through a featureless desert, wasting time, and dropping walls of exposition. This could've been a great opportunity to flesh out Maltak and the orc clans, but instead it's a lazy, insulting white savior tale about how awesome Luna is because she's the Chosen One. Why? Because some higher power decreed it, of course. The orcs are secondary in a story that's all about the orcs! They have no real culture or characteristics other than resembling Native American tribes but in the most superficial and stereotypical manner. There are no differences between the clans besides "this clan is good at this thing and they all have different hairstyles." In the real world, human groups enter conflict for a variety of reasons (usually competition over resources), but here the orcs divided because "time changes everything", which is the reasoning of someone who's totally ignorant of history.

The fact that everyone admonishes Thuen Gor for holding onto his hate also reveals Mookie's wishy-washy liberal ideas of how there are no bad systems, only bad individuals in charge of the system. Sure, Callan invaded Maltak, butchered orcs left and right, and made the entire region uninhabitable, but that's in the past! Things are different now! But they're not! We're shown how orcs are considered subhuman by Callanians time and again, but it's all waved away as individual racism, not systemic. Bullshit. The Stonewater rape arc was explicitly horrible but there's something about March Across Maltak that leaves an equally bad taste in my mouth.

Next time: An interlude. Whee.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks for slogging through Maltak, there may be worse moments to come but they are mercifully quicker (except perhaps the endgame, that just goes on forever).

It's quintessentially Mookie how his idea of novel worldbuilding is to take a fantasy staple like orcs but the twist is they're vegetarian and then put exactly zero thought into how they would reflect on how they shape their society. So now there's the basic trope of orcs as a nomadic hunting village who are really good at archery but they only hunt plants.

There's also basic questions like if Maltak is a blasted hellscape which can't grow anything then why are the orcs still there instead of where the food is. It's all stuff where if Mookie had just spent an hour thinking about how his world worked he could come up with a scenario that would work better. But he doesn't, and it's beyond perplexing that he keeps doing worldbuilding elements when he doesn't give a drat about it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

rudecyrus posted:

Pages and pages of characters bickering, walking through a featureless desert, wasting time, and dropping walls of exposition.

... To Die!

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
It's actually kinda funny that the orcs were supposed to get their turn as the god-like wielders of magic/leaders of the world's only superpower nation as the power ebbs from humans, and Dominic was like, 'Naw', and took magic away from everyone.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Eldariat To Die is only thirteen weeks whereas Slog Across Maltak was a whopping thirteen months. Updating daily seven days a week. Of orcs and Deegans in featureless plains.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

It blows my goddamned mind that Mookie uploaded a comic a day for so long.

Manga-ka keep a grueling schedule, but it's enforced by their bosses. From what I understand, Mookie enforced his own schedule. I suppose I can admire the gumption, but it's kind of... like why ice skate uphill, my dude?

I draw every day, but holy hell, no. I do not want to draw a page a day of some comic I do not have time to plan.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

drawing comics every day is fun

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

and he's still so loving bad at it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"Fate can kiss my rear end." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DicktheCat posted:

Manga-ka keep a grueling schedule, but it's enforced by their bosses. From what I understand, Mookie enforced his own schedule. I suppose I can admire the gumption, but it's kind of... like why ice skate uphill, my dude?

I draw every day, but holy hell, no. I do not want to draw a page a day of some comic I do not have time to plan.

Well, he doesn't plan, so having no time to plan doesn't matter! :v:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Looking back at my own history and that of other illustrators/writers/etc, I feel like a lot of it has to do with being younger and having more energy and less other responsibilities. I used to be able to whip out drawings on a whim within two days max, and now these days I'm lucky if just once a month I can find the energy to pick up a pen. I see the same thing with other long-running webcomics where people who used to update several times a week now take frequent breaks or update only a couple times a month, because they've got more important matters like health or jobs or children. But also yes Mookie writing by the seat of his pants also means less time needed to do drafts of where the story's going.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Luna was going to die for real at first but Mookie changed his mind at the last minute because the real world was depressing enough.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It is a very cheap sacrifice because it's something that had never come up before and Luna is immediately non-chalant about it. Even if having children wasn't on her mind you'd expect her to be irked that the powers pulling the strings and putting her in that position had her unknowingly make a deeply personal sacrifice.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Luna has never shown any interest in having children so no wonder she doesn’t give a poo poo about this sudden and unnecessary revelation

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

If Luna hadn't basically said, "all the orcs are saved and it's all thanks to me" I actually would have kind of liked that moment. He could have not included that specific line and it would have been all the better for it.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I remember Mookie's post about considering killing Luna at the end of the Maltak arc, but there's no way he would have gone through with it.

Did any of the Deegans or honorary Deegans die in the comic? Not counting the ones presumably dead of old age during the Legacy era (and even Jacob avoided that.) I guess Bumper counts?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Just constantly hugging each other

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Amazing how the Wild Edge, previously depicted as a constantly changing sea of strangeness copied from Moebius comics and other such sources, is now a mostly empty flat plain with occasional, regular patches of boring trees.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Just stalling for time at this point with bonus extra gross looking tail on that last panel

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, this plot's really stopping at a breakneck pace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I remember Mookie's post about considering killing Luna at the end of the Maltak arc, but there's no way he would have gone through with it.

Did any of the Deegans or honorary Deegans die in the comic? Not counting the ones presumably dead of old age during the Legacy era (and even Jacob avoided that.) I guess Bumper counts?

Quilt dies, too.