Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

The good thing about no one giving a poo poo about DS9 and its apocryphal lore inside of Modern Trek production central is that we'll never be forced to endure the canonization of its shittiest ship/station designs like Probert's DS9-2, the USS Aventine, and the USS Emmett Till.

Whoa whoa whoa, the Emmett Till/Ibn Majid and the Aventine aren’t even in the same ballpark of hideousness as DS9 II.

The Aventine in particular is a design I actually really like. The emphasis on long curves in an Intrepid-meets-Sovereign way really gives it an almost whale shark profile in certain angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who knows. If anyone's going to pull in the vesta class it'll be prodigy, as a follow-up to the dauntless class.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, stuff like, there's that episode where a whole pylon gets blasted off, it would've been neat if it was replaced with a Federation-styled pylon arc. Have the power plants hanging under the station get replaced with Federation power plans, have some standalone Fed consoles installed in Ops. If it was done today it'd be relatively easy to do the exterior stuff.

Hell, it would've been neat if at one point the Bajorans just did up the station aesthetically, to put their own claim on this tacky Cardiassian fascist eyesore. Spray paint a big Bajoran logo on the side of it.

That's an interesting idea, but it'd be expensive to implement, and would rely on visual aesthetics I don't think they actually developed.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Seemlar posted:

With how they've brought previously secondary material things into canon lately, it wouldn't be super surprising if they ever implemented the Probert designed DS9-II from the old EU

... wow

That doesn't even make sense. Where do the ships dock?

If they were going to do anything, they should've flipped the pylons so they were facing outward. or made them double-sided or something

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Nullsmack posted:

... wow

If they were going to do anything, they should've flipped the pylons so they were facing outward. or made them double-sided or something

Each pylon has several docking points along their length instead of just at the tips, but that turns out to be hard to show in quick CG renders.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also they just dock around the outer ring too.

The bits sticking out of the outer ring is where the big ships dock.

Ah well, it's gone now, the universe blew up or something.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 19, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
moving into season 2 of ds9 now on the watch-through-athon

- season 1 by far the most solid first season yet, didn't like the q episode as much, felt like a tng episode rewritten to fit

- love that they are already doing three parters- homecoming/circle/siege was a great way to start today, that "to be continued" screen set off some great nostalgic feelings and I don't have to wait a whole week!

- vedek winn is delightfully infuriating, an excellent villain character and well played

- bashir got toned down a bit thank gently caress

- cast seem to have good chemistry and to be having fun with it

- can't put my finger on why but it just feels more modern than '93-'94 era TV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

... wow

Park the front on a hole, like Birds of Prey do

DesperateDan posted:

- can't put my finger on why but it just feels more modern than '93-'94 era TV

It's more serialized. Not even in terms of story arcs, but that they'll reference things that happened a couple of episodes ago, or have continuing character arcs.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just watched Second Chances, the one with Tom Riker, and near the start on the bridge there was this background officer I was certain was Riker until I noticed he didn't have a beard, I was wondering if that was the body double they used lol.
They really do a good job with the duplicate character stuff, its quite impressive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boxturret posted:

I just watched Second Chances, the one with Tom Riker, and near the start on the bridge there was this background officer I was certain was Riker until I noticed he didn't have a beard, I was wondering if that was the body double they used lol.
They really do a good job with the duplicate character stuff, its quite impressive.

Yeah they do a good job with that too in one of my favorite episodes Brothers. (mostly for the insanely cool Data-takes-over-the-ship sequence)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

zoux posted:

Yeah they do a good job with that too in one of my favorite episodes Brothers. (mostly for the insanely cool Data-takes-over-the-ship sequence)

Yeah I had to keep reminding myself during those scenes that all 3 characters on screen were all the same actor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiner's performance in Picard s3 allllmost makes it worth it. He's so good at Lore and so good at Data.

e:lol
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1659619690119852033

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 19, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Season 3 wasn't good, but I didn't hate watching it since the old crew are all still so much fun. Spiner, Frakes, Dorn in particular killed it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really liked old Worf, made sense for the character. I've always preferred the more laid back version of Worf you see in s1 of TNG, or s6 of DS9.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Spiner's performance in Picard s3 allllmost makes it worth it. He's so good at Lore and so good at Data.

e:lol
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1659619690119852033

I cooked through to try and find out which actor gave them that sign and I saw that there was one post that was hidden due to offensive content. So I clicked on it to see what it said and it was just the gif of Rom saying workers of the world unite

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That tracks, Twitter is run by a season 1 TNG Ferengi but with less social intelligence and empathy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CainFortea posted:

I cooked through to try and find out which actor gave them that sign and I saw that there was one post that was hidden due to offensive content. So I clicked on it to see what it said and it was just the gif of Rom saying workers of the world unite
Extremely offensive

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of docking, why would you ever actually do that when transporters exist? Hell, unless you need a lot of cargo transported, even shuttles are a better option for transportation.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BonHair posted:

Speaking of docking, why would you ever actually do that when transporters exist? Hell, unless you need a lot of cargo transported, even shuttles are a better option for transportation.

It's to give transporter control as few chances as possible to try and experiment with dupe bugs, if you limit them to living beings most of them keep it in check. Hell, I'm betting there are some truly horrifying Ferengi experiments out there thinking they've stumbled on an infinite money cheat after Riker 2 showed up on DS9 and that story got out there.

I'm now just sitting here imagining someone trying to roll back transporter code to the correct revision to allow for the most heinous shenanigans but it gets discovered when a diplomat comes aboard, takes three steps off the pad, and Scanners-es out.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 19, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Docking is nice for stuff like shore leave or any reason why they might be a lot of people going back and forth a lot with no particular schedule. Easy to just walk off the ship onto the station, and walk back, rather than be doing lots of short-range transporting. Also, isn't the only transporter we see on DS9 the one in Ops? Maybe someday they could carve out something near the promenade into a public use transporter, but if the only option is everyone ends up straight in ops, yeah maybe you don't want that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When you dock you plug in umbilicals to fill up all your tanks. Yes technically you could beam but it's just easier to plug in all the pipes. And tap into station power.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BonHair posted:

Because I'll bet among the general population there's a lot of transporter phobia that we don't see among starship crews. If you're some random Tellarite who has never been off Tellar and you have to go to Bajor for a job or something, you're going to probably want to walk off the snip under your own power.

Alternately, there are lots of civilians who get loaded before they transport, just like you can see drunk people at the airport.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
heh heh. docking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why does Martok tool around in a lovely BoP and not a vorcha

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Martok is a man of the people!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BonHair posted:

Because, since transporters don't actually create stuff out of energy, it still takes power to do it. It's a lot more efficient to just use a tube whenever able.

Also if they're docked to a station there's probably a lot of maintenance being done, so you'd have the highest use of the transporters while you're also working on them.

Easier to just use a hallway.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Vorcha class are like heavy siege vessels, designed to just fire a poo poo ton of weapons and take a beating. Birds or Prey are hit and run, more tactical, and operate independently as well as they do with a fleet. Martok and Worf are totally the types that enjoy that type of battle, where cunning is more important than straight firepower.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love Martok so much, he's the perfect Klingon. I always like when they get to some line where you think he's going to be a bastard he instead finds whatever the thing is honorable. Like when Garak is trying to break them out of that Dominion Fight Club and having a freakout, you'd expect a Klingon to tell him to give his nuts a tug but instead he's like "Nothing is more honorable than facing one's own fears". Just a supportive, positive king.

swickles posted:

Vorcha class are like heavy siege vessels, designed to just fire a poo poo ton of weapons and take a beating. Birds or Prey are hit and run, more tactical, and operate independently as well as they do with a fleet. Martok and Worf are totally the types that enjoy that type of battle, where cunning is more important than straight firepower.

He's the supreme commander of the allied fleet, they didn't let Spruance drive around the Coral Sea in a PT Boat

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Because, since transporters don't actually create stuff out of energy, it still takes power to do it. It's a lot more efficient to just use a tube whenever able.

Also if they're docked to a station there's probably a lot of maintenance being done, so you'd have the highest use of the transporters while you're also working on them.

Easier to just use a hallway.

Also, I always figured if something couldn't be made or easily synthesized by a replicator, then it also would have the same issues going through the transporter. And if you are carrying cargo, it likely is something that can't just be replicated so docks are neccessary.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

I love Martok so much, he's the perfect Klingon. I always like when they get to some line where you think he's going to be a bastard he instead finds whatever the thing is honorable. Like when Garak is trying to break them out of that Dominion Fight Club and having a freakout, you'd expect a Klingon to tell him to give his nuts a tug but instead he's like "Nothing is more honorable than facing one's own fears". Just a supportive, positive king.

He's the supreme commander of the allied fleet, they didn't let Spruance drive around the Coral Sea in a PT Boat

I would say its more like going around in a submarine instead of a battleship. Plus, Gowron has a battleship/Vorcha.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

swickles posted:

Also, I always figured if something couldn't be made or easily synthesized by a replicator, then it also would have the same issues going through the transporter. And if you are carrying cargo, it likely is something that can't just be replicated so docks are neccessary.

Polyester gets destroyed by going through the transporter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

swickles posted:

I would say its more like going around in a submarine instead of a battleship. Plus, Gowron has a battleship/Vorcha.

He had a Negh'var

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Although on the other hand it seems like BoPs are the best cloaking ships they have so from a certain point of view they're more secure.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

swickles posted:

I had a similar thought, some stuff requires the "better pre-material quantum stock" and is energy-intensive to put together, so its actually easier to just carry that stuff premade and hammer it to form with replicator, instead of synthesizing it from start. If you run out of the pre-material stock your energy consumption goes through the roof, if you start to really run low then the crew can no longer order uranium pellets or Elernium-113 for poo poo and giggles without higher-up giving permission.

So when at base you stock up by actual tugboats, physical lines and shuttles. Or drive around collapsing star with your scoops open.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

swickles posted:

The transporter has a much higher resolution so there are plenty of things that can't be replicated but can transported.

But yea there are things that can't be done with either method, so shuttles it is! Or tubes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Although on the other hand it seems like BoPs are the best cloaking ships they have so from a certain point of view they're more secure.

Things got to have a tail pipe

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

The transporter has a much higher resolution so there are plenty of things that can't be replicated but can transported.

Well by my understanding it's more that the replicator has a resolution limit at all, while the transporter doesn't because it tunnels the original matter to the destination and that carries with it all lower level states, without needing to externally store them during transport. It just needs to store the overall arrangement above the size it can transfer as single units.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 19, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Did they ever address the implications of that TNG episode where they discover that warp drive is destroying the universe? I can’t remember anything about it in DS9 and only one or two throwaway lines in TNG.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did they ever address the implications of that TNG episode where they discover that warp drive is destroying the universe? I can’t remember anything about it in DS9 and only one or two throwaway lines in TNG.

Yeah avoiding that is why Voyager has those nacelles that move to go into warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Take the Bird-of-Prey if you wanna speed tank, take the Vorcha if you wanna armour tank, take the K'tinga if you wanna eat poo poo