Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did they ever address the implications of that TNG episode where they discover that warp drive is destroying the universe? I can’t remember anything about it in DS9 and only one or two throwaway lines in TNG.

In my last rewatch I was impressed that they more or less stuck to only going warp 5 or whatever it was for the rest of the season. I kept waiting for them to slip up and they didn't really, obviously they found a few situations where they had to use "emergency authorization" to go warp 9, but they didn't just hilariously ignore it like I expected.

And they barely used warp in DS9 regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A lot of the ships that might dock at a random crappy space station would have also probably not had much in the way of transporters. A bulk hauler might not have a transporter at all, or would have like a one-unit emergency beamout which is more "better than nothing, but don't count on it" than anything.

It would have made sense for there to be a Cardassian transporter hub for when the station was in orbit around Bajor, though. As I recall it's like way out in a Bajor/Bajorsun L point or something? Which is why nobody discovered the wormhole formally earlier, it was in some trash area nobody had any reason to go to.

Sir Lemming posted:

In my last rewatch I was impressed that they more or less stuck to only going warp 5 or whatever it was for the rest of the season. I kept waiting for them to slip up and they didn't really, obviously they found a few situations where they had to use "emergency authorization" to go warp 9, but they didn't just hilariously ignore it like I expected.

And they barely used warp in DS9 regardless.
I thought the implication with the adjustable nacelles was that they figured out a warp-neutral drive configuration by then.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Well by my understanding it's more that the replicator has a resolution limit at all, while the transporter doesn't because it tunnels the original matter to the destination and that carries with it all lower level states, without needing to externally store them during transport. It just needs to store the overall arrangement above the size it can transfer as single units.

Well, sure but I didn't want to just go into detail (again) about the analog nature of transporters vs digital nature of replicators and "resolution" usually gets the point across.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Boxturret posted:

Yeah I had to keep reminding myself during those scenes that all 3 characters on screen were all the same actor.

literally can't tell if this is ironic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

CainFortea posted:

Well, sure but I didn't want to just go into detail (again) about the analog nature of transporters vs digital nature of replicators and "resolution" usually gets the point across.

:thunk:

is this from a technical manual or something? i don't remember anything in any of the series mentioning this. it seems to me that they both would be digital signals

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did they ever address the implications of that TNG episode where they discover that warp drive is destroying the universe? I can’t remember anything about it in DS9 and only one or two throwaway lines in TNG.

Nessus posted:

I thought the implication with the adjustable nacelles was that they figured out a warp-neutral drive configuration by then.
The behind-the-scenes apocrypha says Voyager's moving nacelles fixed the issue, and then later designs figured out how to fix the issue with stationary nacelles. I don't think the issue and "fix" were ever brought up on screen past TNG season 7, other than there may have been a throwaway mention about the the purpose of the variable warp nacelles somewhere in early Voyager?

Basically it was quickly realized it was a dumb plot decision, that everyone immediately wanted to forget.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

:thunk:

is this from a technical manual or something? i don't remember anything in any of the series mentioning this. it seems to me that they both would be digital signals

Yes, it's in the technical manual.

Basically the replicators have the data to construct things but not their quantum states. So it can digitally record things like Gagh, but it will be dead Gagh with the same nutritional values of live Gagh. Things that are normally something to do with quantum states are actually just algorithms that approximate normal values. So it's not like it has a recording of each electron's energy state in a cup of tea when it's hot vs when it's room temperature. It just knows that each energy state is about X value, +/- Y following Z pattern and fills it in.

Transporters do not record the information digitally in a computer system somewhere else (please ignore the occasions where this happens on screen, yes I know it happens sometimes. I'm talking about the technical manual's explanation that usually holds true). Basically they tear the target apart at the subatomic level, destructively reading it's states as it does so and writes this information on the stream of subatomic particles as it's vacuuming them up. So the matter stream itself is also a record of the pattern of the starting target. This stream can be read in small chunks looking for known patterns, which is how the biofilter works.

Then it's put back together, destructively reading the pattern on the matter stream to do so. Which is why you can't just have a backup copy of officers before they get beamed down.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

CainFortea posted:

Basically the replicators have the data to construct things but not their quantum states. So it can digitally record things like Gagh, but it will be dead Gagh with the same nutritional values of live Gagh. Things that are normally something to do with quantum states are actually just algorithms that approximate normal values. So it's not like it has a recording of each electron's energy state in a cup of tea when it's hot vs when it's room temperature. It just knows that each energy state is about X value, +/- Y following Z pattern and fills it in.

Transporters do not record the information digitally in a computer system somewhere else (please ignore the occasions where this happens on screen, yes I know it happens sometimes. I'm talking about the technical manual's explanation that usually holds true). Basically they tear the target apart at the subatomic level, destructively reading it's states as it does so and writes this information on the stream of subatomic particles as it's vacuuming them up. So the matter stream itself is also a record of the pattern of the starting target. This stream can be read in small chunks looking for known patterns, which is how the biofilter works.

Then it's put back together, destructively reading the pattern on the matter stream to do so. Which is why you can't just have a backup copy of officers before they get beamed down.

huh, neat. i appreciate the explanation, that makes a surprising amount of sense

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CainFortea posted:

... and if the stream get only the data but not the materials the system either goes ST1 "it didn't live long" or Thomas Riker route where it burns the ship's stock of replicator material to make a person out of the data stream. If the actual material stream goes somewhere else or loops back then you have two persons. Yes, this also implies that Thomas Riker is the "realer" Riker because the carrier wave went through but not the material stream. Or not. :)

EDIT: Since this has happened onscreen only twice, 99.999999...% out of times you end with a fine person mist or decaying quantum particles somewhere between the point of origin and target. Its regular enough for Starfleet to have a procedure in case it happens. Because of course they do, they are very organized.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 19, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

... and if the stream get only the data but not the materials the system either goes ST1 "it didn't live long" or Thomas Riker route where it burns the ship's stock of replicator material to make a person out of the data stream. If the actual material stream goes somewhere else or loops back then you have two persons. Yes, this also implies that Thomas Riker is the "realer" Riker because the carrier wave went through but not the material stream. Or not. :)

The system didn't use the replicator material because the replicator material isn't anything to do with the teleporter system.

The transporter tech started a second Annular Confinement Beam because the original was loosing cohesion, since Nervala IV is covered in that weird energetic cloud cover. Once it was through the cloud, the tech just turned off the 2nd beam.

however things had lined up just right so that the 2nd beam bounced back instead of just dissapating, and another riker was rematerialized. It's where the 2nd material comes from that is never really covered, but it could be the atmospheric distortion field itself might have supplied it.

So as far as everyone on the potemkin knew, the riker that showed up was the only one cause that's where the matter stream ended up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The energy field contained the same Space Magic that made a second Voyager in that one episode. :techno:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, which second Voyager episode

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, the one where they flew through a space magic field and two overlapping voyagers came out and all the original crew except Harry Kim died, not the one where they landed on a planet and some CGI goo made a second Voyager.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So what you are basically saying is that we should argue more about how replicators, transporters and warp drive works?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K95oIacxbTc

Still one of the greatest gaming moments.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm not sure how that reconciles with the subjective view we get from Barclay's perspective of the beaming.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure how that reconciles with the subjective view we get from Barclay's perspective of the beaming.

It doesn't. The writers don't always follow the technical manual.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It could work, if we hand wave it enough to say that when in the matter stream, in practice you are a kilometers long stream of contained energy and quantum mist, but from your perspective you are just in a bright bubble where you move really sluggishly and turn upright if neccessary.

It also hand waves the times when people come out of transporter in different position that they were in when they left.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Beeftweeter posted:

literally can't tell if this is ironic

I mean from a technical and logistical stand point, the way they all shared the screen was really impressive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boxturret posted:

I mean from a technical and logistical stand point, the way they all shared the screen was really impressive.

Yeah, they accomplished it with a lot of motion-control setups and then compositing all the takes into one shot, which is not cheap and not easy to do on a show like TNG, which crammed out an episode every six days.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Somehow I have ended up with a bunch of old Star Trek commercials in my Youtube recommendations.

This one goes hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l96aDWIbn48
And this one is ridiculously well done, but apparently never aired in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBTDlvShYg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knormal posted:

Somehow I have ended up with a bunch of old Star Trek commercials in my Youtube recommendations.

This one goes hard.

Why does the KFC bridge look better than the actual TOS one?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Those hard cuts to the Amok Time fight theme in the Cheer ad are killing me, it's like an Aqua Teen bit decades early

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Presumably Klingon teleporter technology works on entirely different principles as well, and who knows if they have anything like a replicator.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Klingon teleporter kills you on purpose every time, so that you can die as a warrior many times over

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Klingon teleporter kills you on purpose every time, so that you can die as a warrior many times over

The Klingon transporter takes exactly one minute and ten seconds longer than any other species. That extra time is built in for a side trip to the Black Mountain, during which Kahless gives you personally a judgment on how honorable you are.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Why does the KFC bridge look better than the actual TOS one?

Hell it looks better than most post TNG bridges, I think it's the lighting

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of kahless, did he ever come up in any other episodes after he was "resurrected"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of kahless, did he ever come up in any other episodes after he was "resurrected"?
I think he's mentioned but he doesn't physically appear again

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He's Khaless not Khalmore

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think he's mentioned but he doesn't physically appear again

worf does mention him (specifically, the clone) a couple times in DS9. i think some other klingons do too but i'm not sure, but either way yeah he doesn't actually show up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Knormal posted:

This one goes hard.

these are awesome

Delsaber posted:

Those hard cuts to the Amok Time fight theme in the Cheer ad are killing me, it's like an Aqua Teen bit decades early

lmao yeah. i wonder if they just looped that one part because it was all they were able to license

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Its the way it always happens when the vulcan shows up on screen that gets me. Complete silence when the camera is on the woman, but when it pans over to him DUNDUNDAADAA

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CainFortea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K95oIacxbTc

Still one of the greatest gaming moments.

I gotta pick up the latest and greatest mod and give that game a replay one of these days. Except that moment works better with more load time lulling you to sleep :colbert:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That KFC ad is incredible and should count as the 80th episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Hell it looks better than most post TNG bridges, I think it's the lighting

It's got a drat roof!

Also it was made in 1995. The actors were fitted with prostheses to make them resemble the originals and then dubbed over with lines recorded by the originals. The dramatic lighting and SD resolution hides a lot of sins. Although George Takei wishes he was built like that, jeez Sulu

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 20, 2023

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CainFortea posted:

The system didn't use the replicator material because the replicator material isn't anything to do with the teleporter system.

The transporter tech started a second Annular Confinement Beam because the original was loosing cohesion, since Nervala IV is covered in that weird energetic cloud cover. Once it was through the cloud, the tech just turned off the 2nd beam.

however things had lined up just right so that the 2nd beam bounced back instead of just dissapating, and another riker was rematerialized. It's where the 2nd material comes from that is never really covered, but it could be the atmospheric distortion field itself might have supplied it.

So as far as everyone on the potemkin knew, the riker that showed up was the only one cause that's where the matter stream ended up.

I’m ever more convinced that the best explanation for second Riker is “Geordi and Data misinterpreted the sensor data, Tom Riker is from a parallel (but not mirror) dimension”

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

There's also stuff like beaming back Picard from space when he beamed himself out as pure energy using the pattern buffer to put him back into his body or Kirk being split into his Good and Evil selves but trying to explain it all with :techno: lies madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I’m ever more convinced that the best explanation for second Riker is “Geordi and Data misinterpreted the sensor data, Tom Riker is from a parallel (but not mirror) dimension”

Wouldn't that be Will and not Tom?