Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Facebook reminding me that it was 10 years ago today that I flew by Everest in an Air India 737 and snapped one of the best photos I've ever taken.

no green boots voted 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

News of the day: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/sherpa-sets-everest-record-intl-hnk/index.html :toot:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That dude would be like Goku if he went down to sea level I bet

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wonder if there's reverse altitude sickness for people who've lived for centuries above 10,000 feet suddenly descending to sea level?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Not sure, but if they go 10,000 feet below sea level more than they'll definitely be feeling it until they're about the size of a hockey puck.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I was at ~3500m for about six months and getting back to sea level was incredible. Felt like I could hold my breath forever.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Part of that trip on which I took that Everest photo posted two weeks back involved three days in Lhasa. Our group, upon arrival, was told to chill in the hotel for the rest of the day because they wanted to make sure we were all okay with altitude. I felt just fine, so decided to explore the neighborhood. Then I made the mistake of bounding up the steps of a pedestrian overpass and it felt like I'd just done a 100-meter dash.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Part of that trip on which I took that Everest photo posted two weeks back involved three days in Lhasa. Our group, upon arrival, was told to chill in the hotel for the rest of the day because they wanted to make sure we were all okay with altitude. I felt just fine, so decided to explore the neighborhood. Then I made the mistake of bounding up the steps of a pedestrian overpass and it felt like I'd just done a 100-meter dash.

Oh man, that first day for someone who lives at sea level was brutal from the Lukla trek. You go down like 200m through some nice temparate forest, then you cross a bridge and there's a 10 step staircase that absolutely eats your soul.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

does it work in reverse? like if you're from a high altitude place and you go on holiday to somewhere sea level do you feel like superman absorbing the red sun's rays for the first time?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

AceClown posted:

does it work in reverse? like if you're from a high altitude place and you go on holiday to somewhere sea level do you feel like superman absorbing the red sun's rays for the first time?

That's pretty much why atheletes do high altitude training

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

AceClown posted:

It takes staying at altitude for a significant amount of time, but yes you can absolutely naturally dope this way. Effects last a few weeks.

Metabolism, on the other hand, increases at altitude extremely quickly, and dropoff when you return to normal is much slower, even months.

fiesty cowgirl
May 22, 2009
I lived in Colorado for awhile, got into awesome shape, and regularly ran several miles and hiked 14ers. Then I moved back to Virginia expecting to be invincible and I couldn’t even run half a mile because it felt like I was almost drowning in the humidity. I was very disappointed.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

quote:

A school teacher who aspired to become the first Asian with a pacemaker to scale Mount Everest died while making the attempt.

Suzanne Leopoldina Jesus, a 59-year-old woman from India’s western Maharashtra state, died on Thursday after she climbed 5,800m – a little higher than the base camp of the world’s highest mountain which stands at 8,848m.

Leopoldina Jesus had to be “forcibly” airlifted on Wednesday evening to a hospital from the mountain, said Dendi Sherpa, chairman of expedition organiser Glacier Himalayan Trek.

The woman was advised to abandon her attempt to scale Everest as she was not able to maintain a normal speed during acclimatisation exercises on base camp, said Yuvaraj Khatiwada, director at the Tourism Department of Nepal.

The climber insisted on continuing because she said she already paid a fee to get permission to climb Mt Everest, reported the Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency.

As of today, 9 confirmed deaths and another missing. There was a non-injury icefall collapse 2 days ago that had to be repaired and closed the route for a while, as well...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
loving hell. What a waste.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how the gently caress you approve a pacemaker

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"First asian with a pacemaker" wtf. We were just joking with the first polish American with ADHD to climb everest with a copy of MacGruber stuff.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

As of today, 9 confirmed deaths and another missing. There was a non-injury icefall collapse 2 days ago that had to be repaired and closed the route for a while, as well...

Why, loving why would you decide to climb Everest with a pacemaker, your ticker is already hosed, that's why you have a pacemaker! Climbing a mountain is one of the most athletically strenuous exercises you can do, and even worse, Everest is really loving tall, so you don't have much oxygen to work with, your heart beats faster, and you're putting even more stress on your already shot heart. gently caress people are dumb sometimes.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Maybe her heart was fine and she had a pacemaker put in just so she could claim the glory on Everest

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean at least she died right outside of basecamp during pre-acclimatization training, so no Sherpas had to risk their lives for her stupid rear end.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

"First asian with a pacemaker" wtf. We were just joking with the first polish American with ADHD to climb everest with a copy of MacGruber stuff.

Beat me to it, this is totally a joke sounding, "First," good god. Or it was.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
9 deaths without there being a big avalanche or something. Nasty season up there.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
And a deaf-mute climber missing high up the mountain.

https://explorersweb.com/basak-airlifted-from-makalu-deaf-mute-climber-missing-on-everest/

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeesh, what a poo poo job for the sherpas having to search and rescue people's asses

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

orange juche posted:

Why, loving why would you decide to climb Everest with a pacemaker, your ticker is already hosed, that's why you have a pacemaker! Climbing a mountain is one of the most athletically strenuous exercises you can do, and even worse, Everest is really loving tall, so you don't have much oxygen to work with, your heart beats faster, and you're putting even more stress on your already shot heart. gently caress people are dumb sometimes.
And then there's the "I paid for this! I'm not going back down!", ignoring the obvious advice given to save her life. So not exactly a professional mountaineer here.

Why do people insist on going to Everest to die.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Elukka posted:

And then there's the "I paid for this! I'm not going back down!", ignoring the obvious advice given to save her life. So not exactly a professional mountaineer here.

I don't blame anyone specifically for things they say once they're up in the death zone. It's a place where rationality goes to die. Hence *nobody should be up there in the first place*.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
This was, however, near base camp, during acclimation. Though maybe that's not much different depending on the state of her heart.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Elukka posted:

This was, however, near base camp, during acclimation. Though maybe that's not much different depending on the state of her heart.

Oh poo poo really? I totally missed that, apologies. In that case yeah, she should never have been allowed near the drat mountain with that attitude.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sounds like Nepal needs to REGULATE

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

HopperUK posted:

Oh poo poo really? I totally missed that, apologies. In that case yeah, she should never have been allowed near the drat mountain with that attitude.
What puzzles me is that they do. They want the money, sure. But when they get to the point where the more experienced people running the show go "In my professional opinion, you are going to die on a mountain if you don't turn back now", why do they take no for an answer? Why not say, that's it, we're not not doing this anymore, we're going no further, we're not carrying your stuff, it's over?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Elukka posted:

People have a right to make their own choices and if that's to attempt to enter the death zone with death inducing conditions that's their choice.

Deer culling themselves from the herd as a cost efficient alternative to wolves.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Elukka posted:

What puzzles me is that they do. They want the money, sure. But when they get to the point where the more experienced people running the show go "In my professional opinion, you are going to die on a mountain if you don't turn back now", why do they take no for an answer? Why not say, that's it, we're not not doing this anymore, we're going no further, we're not carrying your stuff, it's over?

Maybe I am just projecting from past retail experience. But if I had to deal day in and day out with that kind of entitled jackass knowing that they spend more money on Starbucks in a month than my entire extended family's yearly income -- yeah I'd let them kill themselves if they really wanna.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Outrail posted:

People have a right to make their own choices and if that's to attempt to enter the death zone with death inducing conditions that's their choice.

Deer culling themselves from the herd as a cost efficient alternative to wolves.

Nah, we limit choices in a lot of ways when those choices are nothing but harmful.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Jesus, Everest sounds like one of those suicide machines from Futurama.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elukka posted:

Everyone knows that when you get to the part of the story where everyone tells you to give up it is just a test of your resolve. You push through and all your dreams come true and everyone stands up and claps.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Oh man, that first day for someone who lives at sea level was brutal from the Lukla trek. You go down like 200m through some nice temparate forest, then you cross a bridge and there's a 10 step staircase that absolutely eats your soul.

Nowhere near the same, but we live at sea level and went to CO last year and did a few hikes around Denver. The first one we did was literally a road that has been turned into a park, not even bad, it's at 1821m (5975') elevation and only 2 miles long. The very beginning of the trail is a 200' rise in elevation over 3/4 mile or so.

It was our 2nd day there and I wanted to loving die.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
im gonna be the first person to sun my rear end in a top hat at everest's peak

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chief McHeath posted:

im gonna be the first person to sun my rear end in a top hat at everest's peak

sorry, white guy already did it

what else can you bring to the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I thought they were going to make the qualifications more strenuous?

These people are still probably getting firsts, just not the ones they want.