Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

minusX posted:

The concept is good, for the right use case.

The original one: have a thin and light that you can stick into a desktop replacement, best of both worlds.

I'd you already have the laptop: yay it works for two devices you are getting.

If you don't? ehhh. It's "futureproofing" technically but to drop that much on the egpu at launch seems bad

You need to have a certain kind of, uh, let's call it a gadget-over-use-case mindset for this kind of thing to actually make sense.

Like I have a good laptop and a good desktop PC, and they're both drastically better gaming machines than the Ally. It doesn't make any sense to even have something like the Ally alongside a gaming laptop if I'm going to be primarily using it in situations where I'm tethered to a dock or a mouse and keyboard. The laptop is just going to be better in those situations. If I have to haul around a mouse, keyboard, and eGPU enclosure, then the laptop is way more portable, too.

The SD differentiates itself by really being a purely handheld console first and foremost. It's ergonomic, has inputs that will work reasonably well for almost any PC game without any external peripherals, and generally makes sense as something that can actually complement other PC gaming devices. Like I was playing Crusader Kings III on a train on the SD the other day, and that's not really something that would have been even remotely possible with a big laptop or a device that would need an external mouse.

That said, I think devices like the Ally make a lot of sense as budget gaming laptop replacements, especially for people who don't really have a need to haul around a laptop as a computer. In that case, you end up with something that's reasonably good on the desktop and that can work as a handheld in a pinch, all for the price of a bargain basement gaming laptop. That's not bad.

edit- but I admit that I'm biased, because the lack of trackpads means that about half the games I play on my SD would be effectively unplayable on the Ally anyway

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For anyone who doesnt check the deals thread (you should check the deals thread). I just set up GeForce Now on my deck and it seems to work great so far, I think its how I'm going to play Elite Dangerous, because it makes the E:D launcher kerfuffle a little more livable

Beve Stuscemi posted:

AT&T customers can sign up to get 6 months of GeForceNow Ultimate for free

https://special-offers-signup.att.com/#/81/GeForceNOWUltimateAccess

I just did it and it gave me my redemption code immediately

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Paradoxish posted:

The SD differentiates itself by really being a purely handheld console first and foremost. It's ergonomic, has inputs that will work reasonably well for almost any PC game without any external peripherals, and generally makes sense as something that can actually complement other PC gaming devices. Like I was playing Crusader Kings III on a train on the SD the other day, and that's not really something that would have been even remotely possible with a big laptop or a device that would need an external mouse.

That said, I think devices like the Ally make a lot of sense as budget gaming laptop replacements, especially for people who don't really have a need to haul around a laptop as a computer. In that case, you end up with something that's reasonably good on the desktop and that can work as a handheld in a pinch, all for the price of a bargain basement gaming laptop. That's not bad.

edit- but I admit that I'm biased, because the lack of trackpads means that about half the games I play on my SD would be effectively unplayable on the Ally anyway

I don't think you're biased on the trackpad piece. The trackpads are a huge part of why the Steam Deck works as a portable that you could use on a train and basically why I think something like the Ally would fail for the primary use case you describe in your second paragraph. The only unique thing the Ally really provides as a budget gaming laptop alternative is it has Windows built-in.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Valve has a vested interest in keeping it working good since they make money off steam sales. I doubt ASUS will really support it for a long time. Granted valve isn’t exactly good at investing in hardware long term but hopefully with how popular it has been they’ll keep making them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Asus' support infrastructure is notoriously poo poo. That alone makes me not want to even consider anything like the Ally until people have had it for a good 6 months.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Goon made and one of the best roguelikes Dungeonmans has been updated and is now working on deck! Definitly recommend a pickup!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/288120/Dungeonmans/

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

Goon made and one of the best roguelikes Dungeonmans has been updated and is now working on deck! Definitly recommend a pickup!

I'll always vouch for this game when it comes up. Solid as hell, and the music is great. The composer said they were heavily inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy 12 and it shows.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've been very happy with my Deck and I think it's precisely because it's not the kind of device Ally is trying to be. I appreciate the (almost magical, considering what it is accomplishing) simplicity and console-like experience that hides behind it the possibility for getting really fiddly with stuff that Linux affords. It's not a portable Windows box for playing AAA stuff and I appreciate it way more for it. The lack of trackpads alone turns me off the Ally, but the kind of customer thinking about getting one probably isn't buying it to play through some older PC stuff while lying in their bed because their back has finally gone all mushy with age and sitting too long now hurts.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Ally makes sense to me as a quasi-Xbox handheld for folks heavily invested in that ecosystem: it supports Game Pass and remote play. But since it's not actually an Xbox or even Microsoft-branded product it can totally flop and Microsoft can walk away from it with it "really" being on their record. In some sense, it's like the rumored Sony Q-Lite.

The Ally makes a bit less sense to me for folks with a significant Steam investment. But maybe if you're equally invested in Steam and EGS, something that supports the latter without fuss is pretty compelling.

It doesn't make sense to me though for folks with a Steam-exclusive investment, or folks coming from a non-Xbox console looking for a console-ish handheld experience.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My deck has been asleep, unplugged for almost two weeks and is still 98% charged. Pretty good. The Against The Storm devs are working on getting it deck verified, which hopefully means they’ll add controller support.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I want to add a single ROM to my Deck (that already has a bunch).

Is there a way to get it into Steam (like with Steam ROM manager) without re-parsing all the others?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
They don't get reparsed. It just checks for new entries and gets rid of missing ones

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Metro Last Light, the og one not redux, is free on steam. Has a weird issue with the deck though, the b and x buttons are swapped for some reason.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Ally makes sense to me as a quasi-Xbox handheld for folks heavily invested in that ecosystem: it supports Game Pass and remote play. But since it's not actually an Xbox or even Microsoft-branded product it can totally flop and Microsoft can walk away from it with it "really" being on their record. In some sense, it's like the rumored Sony Q-Lite.

It's a trial balloon that somehow accidentally made it into production. :lmao: They're learning from it and it's so unappealing that I figure what they're actually betting on is round 2. This already round 2 for Valve. I don't know what ROG is, maybe it's round a hundred for them, but I can't look at that machine without thinking MadKatz. I'm no Valve fan--I originally started this thread to get people to shut up about the Steam Deck in the Steam thread--so don't call me fan. The ROG handheld is for like two people. It's inexplicable.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

RandolphCarter posted:

Metro Last Light, the og one not redux, is free on steam. Has a weird issue with the deck though, the b and x buttons are swapped for some reason.

Well then you just swap them right back mister!! Steam Input, bitches

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Well then you just swap them right back mister!! Steam Input, bitches

I only messed with the menu, it’s even worse in game. Camera is constantly spinning in circles, can’t move, start and select are fire and aim. It’s definitely not rated gold like protondb says. Looks good though.

E: switched to proton 8 and it works

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 20, 2023

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Harminoff posted:

i can't remember if this game had diagonal movement, how are the controls on the deck for it now?

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Does anyone know of a good site to get Steam Deck accessories that are customized?

Also I don't post itt much but it is bookmarked as one of my favorites. I love it and love all of you all in it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a performance overlay option that has just the battery? I can either have just the frame rate or one with far too much info, which includes the battery. I just want to keep an eye on battery life without a bunch of other distracting info across the top of the screen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a performance overlay option that has just the battery? I can either have just the frame rate or one with far too much info, which includes the battery. I just want to keep an eye on battery life without a bunch of other distracting info across the top of the screen.

I have to bet there is a Decky Loader plugin for that. I did a quick google search but didn't see one but I might not have been looking for the right thing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am reviewing Street Fighter 6 and vaguely annoyed that it runs way better on the Deck than my gaming laptop with an RTX 3080 in it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Am reviewing Street Fighter 6 and vaguely annoyed that it runs way better on the Deck than my gaming laptop with an RTX 3080 in it.

Hopefully that tidbit goes into the review.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Necrothatcher posted:

Sounds like a CPU issue, not a GPU issue. Chances are the CPU is being downclocked (battery saving profile) or just not very powerful in your laptop.

Would be funny if it turned out to be a Linux vs Windows performance thing, though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Sounds like a CPU issue, not a GPU issue. Chances are the CPU is being downclocked (battery saving profile) or just not very powerful in your laptop.

Would be funny if it turned out to be a Linux vs Windows performance thing, though.

Well it's got an i7 in it so it should be fine. Probably it's down to the Deck screen making the game look good at 720p on low settings with some internal upscaling. The same settings on a larger monitor look like garbage.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Foul Fowl posted:

i can't remember if this game had diagonal movement, how are the controls on the deck for it now?

It does yeah, but it's not a problem. You can use d pad for up/ down/ left/, right and if you need to do a diagonal you can use right track pad as mouse to select diagonal tile and right trigger to move to it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
ROG Ally review by Digital Foundry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5oHS7CA6Qo

Text review:
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-asus-rog-ally-vs-steam-deck-review

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taki actually seems to do an honest review,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WZElNnR-BU

Some of the bugs are pretty wild.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Ally seems to be a pretty good example of why you don’t buy into pre release hype it would seem

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I do have to wonder what the issue with the Z1 is (if any) because nothing sets it apart from the other 7800 series parts.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The graphs Taki flashed up at the end did show a decent sized difference between the 7500MT/s and 6400MT/s configs of the 7840U, though he played them down in the commentary as it did line up fairly well with the one with the same RAM speed. He also hinted at some manufacturer tuning while showing a graph with 'GPD Win Max' badly pasted into the legend so I think Phawx's findings are due to both the faster RAM and some tuning done on his 7840U Max 2.

In terms of pre-order hype, I did get my name down for a pre-order but I think I'll be cancelling it since, if for no other reason, there doesn't seem like there's going to be any scarcity of this one at all.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If I'm streaming a game from my desktop to my Deck, and they are both on the same WiFi, will the stream go directly via the local network? Or does it still go "out" to the internet beforehand going back to the Deck?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Should just go over your network

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

If I'm streaming a game from my desktop to my Deck, and they are both on the same WiFi, will the stream go directly via the local network? Or does it still go "out" to the internet beforehand going back to the Deck?

It stays local, since you can stream that way through an ad-hoc network if you want to for some reason.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lately my deck keeps turning on the gamescope fps meter thing randomly. It's still listed as off in the overlay menu and if I turn it on and back off it still won't go away. It stays on as I start different games and the only way I can get it to go away is reboot. Really annoying

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Has anybody tried the GOG version of Baldurs Gate III on deck? Does it work well? How about Death Stranding on Epic?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FuzzySlippers posted:

Lately my deck keeps turning on the gamescope fps meter thing randomly. It's still listed as off in the overlay menu and if I turn it on and back off it still won't go away. It stays on as I start different games and the only way I can get it to go away is reboot. Really annoying

Mine did this for the first time yesterday, and yeah, super annoying. Are you on the Beta Steam Client?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I reimaged my Deck and guess what. It works now. :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I reimaged my Deck and guess what. It works now. :shrug:

I think I’m gonna do this soon.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh whoops was more behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Mine did this for the first time yesterday, and yeah, super annoying. Are you on the Beta Steam Client?

On the definitely update path