Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
He worked ok in my 'gotta know what they're gonna do so I can counter their turn 5' deck if I didn't draw daredevil in time but he's more just add for flavor than anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kang so far has only been a real mainstay in one version of my Galactus deck, but I ultimately just cut him for Nebula. He was real good for "Yeah of course I definitely obviously have the answer haha turn 6 snap" for opponent retreats.

I think he can fit into any deck that has an obvious dangerous turn (Galactus, Wong), and you're missing even more optimal cards to fill his role. Maybe you don't have Spider Man or Doc Ock or Knull. Maybe you don't have Mystique to double up on Wong. Until those cards come by, Kang can be there to scam some wins.

Be very careful of playing him in a deck that also runs Cosmo though....

First game in and I'm convinced Shadow King is good.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Toebone posted:

Just pulled Kang from a reserve box, did he end up working in anything? I never see him get played

He's really good if you want your games to take two extra minutes

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Still crashes the game every time I see him too.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kang is good for snap metagaming to get extra cubes, that's it. It's rarely going to give you an actual advantage that will end up winning you a close game, but it will confirm when you can snap/retreat with little to no risk, and it will let you bluff a snap to try and force a retreat, then rewind and not commit to the snap.

godogg
Dec 29, 2008

godogg posted:

Can confirm, this idea has legs. I am so tired of facing the Korg-Zabu-Rockslide opener, but I have no Darkhawk of my own. So I tried this:

Dino is the Darkhawk, Agent 13 and Moongirl are the Korg and Rockslide.
Crossbones is the Black Bolt, Titania is the Stature, Mystique is the Iron Lad.
8 straight wins gang. Hooray for a healthy meta

I take it all back. 7 losses in a row. Meta is trash. Galactus nerf when?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I wish I had doc and wave so I could play a Galactus fake out deck

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I had a little fun putting Yondu and Wolverine into my Destroyer deck, once those two go down a lot of people retreat immediately. Not really sustainable in the long term but it's a kick

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Let’s brainstorm some feasible nerfs to Galactus, because I just dunno how they nerf him without making the card a doughnut. If he only blows up one location, that’s p useless. Lowering his power does nothing cuz hes rarely played on T6. I could see them hitting maybe Doc Ock? So that he only pulls 2-3 cards? I also desperately wish for Galactus nerfs but I just don’t see how it comes about.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The only reasonable nerf for Galactus is a ground-up rework. I would make him a 6/0 destroy a location and drop the "only card here" requirement, I think that would have reasonable destroy synergy and still work well with his established kit

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Youremother posted:

The only reasonable nerf for Galactus is a ground-up rework. I would make him a 6/0 destroy a location and drop the "only card here" requirement, I think that would have reasonable destroy synergy and still work well with his established kit

But then he’s a 6 power activator for Knull basically and that’s it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Make him a vanilla 6/100.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Make him 0/6 with the same exact ability

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
6/0 at the end of the game destroy a location at random

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if they do nerf it I think it'd be making destroying locations not actually destroy the cards at those locations, removing the nimrod/wolverine/knull/death synergies that make winning the location galactus is at braindead easy

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
1/1 starts in your hand can only be played on turn 1, all locations become ruins.

I've wanted a card like this so I can play the closest thing I can to no items final destination mode where the locations can't hurt me anymore

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 20, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

flatluigi posted:

if they do nerf it I think it'd be making destroying locations not actually destroy the cards at those locations, removing the nimrod/wolverine/knull/death synergies that make winning the location galactus is at braindead easy

While a significant nerf, I don't think this would be a very healthy change in terms of making Galactus not suck to fight against, because you're nuking basically all the curves that are still somewhat "fair", leaving Wave->Galactus->Spider-Man as the only remotely viable one.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The problems that I see with Galactus are all Knull. Galactus + Death is good but 14 power is beatable even without a silver bullet for Galactus decks, you can go over the top.

You could make Galactus 6/10 and lose 1 power for each card destroyed this game, which would allow better counterplay.

You could make Galactus de-ramp you and reset your energy to 1 after he triggers so you can play a little bit on future turns but not keep ramping out big stuff. This especially would let you use cheap or free cards to play behind him which would take setup on early turns.

Cattail Prophet posted:

While a significant nerf, I don't think this would be a very healthy change in terms of making Galactus not suck to fight against, because you're nuking basically all the curves that are still somewhat "fair", leaving Wave->Galactus->Spider-Man as the only remotely viable one.

It also kinda ruins the big cool splashy effect of blowing up the locations. If you just Prof X'd them and set the power to zero it wouldn't feel like a big deal to play Galactus, it's just another lane control effect.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Infinite Karma posted:

The problems that I see with Galactus are all Knull. Galactus + Death is good but 14 power is beatable even without a silver bullet for Galactus decks, you can go over the top.

You could make Galactus 6/10 and lose 1 power for each card destroyed this game, which would allow better counterplay.

You could make Galactus de-ramp you and reset your energy to 1 after he triggers so you can play a little bit on future turns but not keep ramping out big stuff. This especially would let you use cheap or free cards to play behind him which would take setup on early turns.

Wave -> Galactus -> Doc Ock -> ShangChi/Enchantress will just end up being the play then.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The only nerf that really makes sense for Galactus is that he's completely removed from the game and everybody with him is given 6000 tokens.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I bet he gets changed to 6/6 or 8: If this is the only card at this location, destroy this location. Makes more sense thematically, and now they have to win two lanes instead of just one. Still powers Knull.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sandwolf posted:

I bet he gets changed to 6/6 or 8: If this is the only card at this location, destroy this location. Makes more sense thematically, and now they have to win two lanes instead of just one. Still powers Knull.

Oh, I like that a lot. He'd still be a fucker w/Spider-Man follow-up, but not quite to the same extent.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Power of Pecota posted:

Oh, I like that a lot. He'd still be a fucker w/Spider-Man follow-up, but not quite to the same extent.

Also gives you a chance to try and out power them in the other lane to beat the tiebreaker? Still uses Doc Ock, Spiderman, Goblin BS. Doesn’t purely benefit from Electro ramp, still benefits from Wave ramp. Of course, instead they’ll just start taking shots at Knull, Doc Ock, Hobgoblin, Spiderman instead of the actual problem card.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

My Galactus change would probably be to give him the Leech treatment and change it from an on reveal to an end of game effect. Kills Spider-Man and Death+Knull bullshit dead, leaves existing T6 Galactus curves alone, turns ramping him out early into a mindgame where you can try to get your opponent to overcommit to the lane only to drop something else there yourself at the last second.

Maybe make it specifically "end of turn 6" rather than "end of game" if you want to open up the possibility for some galaxy brain Magik plays.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Had a great game where I Leadered their Magneto, moving their Lockjaw, which then threw his Magneto back in the deck and replacing it with a Juggernaut, winning me the game. I would have lost if I hadn't gone back in since his lockjaw would have been just enough points to win that location

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

I got it in with a Lockjaw/Mr. Negative deck and some lucky locations with Iron Man.

This deck is just an absolute blast to play, and I don't mind gambling on turn 6, because things almost always seem to swing in my favor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Never thought about Negative Lockjaw but that's interesting

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why luke over psylocke/zabu?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bottom Liner posted:

Why luke over psylocke/zabu?

Easy: I don't have either, and Cage has been incredible insurance against lovely locations and Spider-Woman/etc.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

1/1 starts in your hand can only be played on turn 1, all locations become ruins.

I've wanted a card like this so I can play the closest thing I can to no items final destination mode where the locations can't hurt me anymore

Buffing his base power and having him turn all locations into ruins could work, actually. Make him strong enough to be worthwhile and have his power be negating all the location abilities

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want a competitive card game with lessened RNG impact I don't think any Ben Brode game is ever going to satisfy you.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Don’t nerf Galactus till I’m done climbing with him. Just hit 98, and I’ve never gotten this high before

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Finally loving got back up to the 80s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1FxfR3lg6Q

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can someone tell me why Aero didn't pull Infinaut? They played him and She-Hulk the final turn. Please don't tell me they're so dumb they made it so Aero could target things already in her lane?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Push El Burrito posted:

they're so dumb they made it so Aero could target things already in her lane?

Sorry you had to find out this way. Order of operations, Aero targets the first played.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Push El Burrito posted:

Can someone tell me why Aero didn't pull Infinaut? They played him and She-Hulk the final turn. Please don't tell me they're so dumb they made it so Aero could target things already in her lane?

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

New Leaf posted:

Sorry you had to find out this way. Order of operations, Aero targets the first played.

Last played, isn't it? Either way, though, if the last card played is played to Aero's lane then she does nothing.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Slowpoke! posted:

Don’t nerf Galactus till I’m done climbing with him. Just hit 98, and I’ve never gotten this high before

Can’t believe how easy it was to climb from 60 to Infinite this season. I never made it past 88 before. The new changes probably make Galactus a smoother climb since 1-2 cubes per game is more meaningful with levels being 7 cubes now.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
If I can only get one: Howard, High Evolutionary, or Living Tribunal? (I have Galactus and Thanos already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
High Evolutionary is going to open up a brand new deck archetype.
Howard is meh.
Living Tribunal is definitely a wait and see. In a game where the goal is to win 2 out of 3 lanes it may be counterproductive to spread your power across all 3.