Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I'll bite the bullet. I think Bud Light is kinda nice on a hot day, maybe by the pool or with grilled food like hamburgers or hot dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess I'll bite the bullet. I think Bud Light is kinda nice on a hot day, maybe by the pool or with grilled food like hamburgers or hot dogs.

That's what it's for.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Beer chat:

Anecdotal evidence but I can say for certain that on the ground and in the trenches in a blood red county here in NE Florida at least that the stupid Bud Lite bullshit is 100% real and has more legs than we might want to laugh at.

I work in a poker room and overhear a LOT of bullshit conversations from people who drink a lot and across a very large spectrum of demographics. There are old rich people with nothing else to do with their money or time, young kids looking for a thrill or an easy buck, poor people seeking to dry hump the American Dream, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, male, female...you name it. Very wealthy business owners who gamble insane amounts of money. Quite the cross section in there.

People are absolutely and intentionally ordering Miller Lite beers and eschewing Budweiser, often making jokes about it where they order a Bud Light first and then make a show of changing it to Miller just so everyone can hear it. We make jokes a lot but this type of bullshit undoubtedly permeates mainstream thinking in ways that aren't funny or trivial and it makes me kind of sad sometimes to overhear it. I've seen more empty Miller Lite bottles (and empty wallets) in the last two weeks than I can count and have overheard several conversations centered around it, along with a TON of "we need Trump back/this country is in BIG trouble" bullshit than I care to listen to. Trump hats and Let's Go Brandon t-shirts.

These people live and breathe this loving poo poo, inject it into their veins, are easily manipulated and angered, and there are a LOT more of them than we think there are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, there's no reason to look down on a light beer like that. They have their purpose, they're widely available and inexpensive, and they honestly taste pretty decent. I've seen more and more craft breweries making "American-Style Lager" or "Mexican-Style Lager" for exactly that reason. Is it worth the difference in price? I don't really think so, but if you want to buy local or you're at the brewery, that's another way to go. There's a reason it's a very popular style of beer.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Nothing wrong with a cheap, light lager but I do feel Bud Light is the bottom of the barrel. I'd say it's an example of a product's popularity driven more by marketing than anything else.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jesus III posted:

I like that no one ever admits to drinking Bud and Coors or whatever and they are by far the most popular beer brands. Kind of like no one eating at McDonalds.

There are demographics that will drink Bud/Coors more than other demographics. For myself and my friends, we enjoy craft beers and beers that have some interesting tweaks to the general formula. For our parents, many of them will go for a mass-market beer because that's what they grew up with and enjoy. I think for a lot of folks who are younger than 40, craft beers become a lot more accessible and a lot more of a thing in many parts of the country, and so it's a thing that we gravitate toward and enjoy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jesus III posted:

I like that no one ever admits to drinking Bud and Coors or whatever and they are by far the most popular beer brands. Kind of like no one eating at McDonalds.

I love drinking bud llight, eating mcdonalds, and listening to Nickleback

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yuengling is the only good domestic beer. :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

...! posted:

Send them to Illinois

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I spend 15 on a 12 pack one every other month
AMA

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I love drinking bud llight, eating mcdonalds, and listening to Nickleback

I judge no man's sick desires.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Beer chat:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Panfilo posted:

One story I heard was that Anheiser Busch etc were among the few breweries that survived prohibition and stuff like rice was added to the beer to save money. Perhaps due to inertia light beer was popular with working class people. It's got a lower ABV and people find it milder tasting without leaving them feeling bloated.

But I'm like you. Standard light beers just taste like the worst of both worlds- they taste watered down and don't even get you buzzed easily. Coors banquet is...slightly less mediocre than light beers, and Sam Adams is a step up and a definite pick if the only options are bud light, Coors light, keystone light, or Sam Adams. They also used to have a few seasonal varieties which were kind of nice

Stella Artois and Heineken are also pilsners, right? And they taste so much better! I also have a soft spot for Mexican beers as my in laws particularly like Modelo; I'm guessing it's the fact that they don't drink the "light" versions of these, they exist but seem much more uncommon (corona light exists in theory but the local bodegas certainly don't bother with it).

Here in the UK stella is known as "wifebeater" and is the drink of choice for bright red bald guys looking for a fight

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

...! posted:

The owner went all in on Trump.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Murgos posted:

The owner went all in on Trump.

Yeah, but Hershey got them good

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There are very few corporations that "go woke go broke" can actually apply to, and Bud is one of them. The conditions are pretty specific: Bud was ingrained into CHUD culture without really trying, it was something they'd bought for their entire drinking life without thinking about it, and was easily replaced with an alternative by reaching one arm's length over to the next shelf for Miller. Easy to make a statement when it's so convenient. Other boycotts on all waves of the political spectrum fail when it's obvious a boycott would take even a small amount of effort, either because the corporation is everywhere, the product is too much a part of their lives, etc. CHUDs aren't even boycotting Disney as a whole, they mostly avoid the "woke" movies, i.e. the ones with a side character with two lines that is gay.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

LifeLynx posted:

There are very few corporations that "go woke go broke" can actually apply to, and Bud is one of them. The conditions are pretty specific: Bud was ingrained into CHUD culture without really trying, it was something they'd bought for their entire drinking life without thinking about it, and was easily replaced with an alternative by reaching one arm's length over to the next shelf for Miller. Easy to make a statement when it's so convenient. Other boycotts on all waves of the political spectrum fail when it's obvious a boycott would take even a small amount of effort, either because the corporation is everywhere, the product is too much a part of their lives, etc. CHUDs aren't even boycotting Disney as a whole, they mostly avoid the "woke" movies, i.e. the ones with a side character with two lines that is gay.

This isn't even necessarily true. Bud's factories were supposedly getting bomb threats from republicans so that's probably why they caved. That, coupled with pulling that stunt right before their quarterly report meant that there was no time for the bounce back which created a false image of successfully boycotting the product in favor of racism, transphobia, and other repugnant things that have no place in America.

The proper response should have been to track down the people who made the bomb threats and have them prosecuted, then see which of the usual websites or people that organized this and have legal suits brought against them for damages done due to a shutdown or lack of productivity. This would have given them the high ground and insulated them against any further attempts at terrorism. Instead they caved, and the bigoted throwbacks pretended that doing a terrorism means they won because woke=broke in their broken minds.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 21, 2023

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

LifeLynx posted:

Their control of the CHUD market was hardly due to a lack of trying, Budweiser had spent decades and a hojilion dollars identifying their biggest consumers (working-class white men) and pandering to them in nearly every ad campaign. They're the single largest sponsor of the superbowl and have paid for at least one commercial in all 56 of them. The dumb machismo of beer commercials became a genre in themselves (see Duffman). But because of their success they had entire marketing books written about them and influenced today's commercial formats for brand marketing, by basically writing a comedy sketch and attaching a byline to it.

Obviously their marketshare began shrinking due to the explosion of craft beer and hard seltzer options, and they responded by buying up those small breweries. Alright. Then they launched their own hard seltzer line. Great. There wasn't any backlash when their new marketing heads starting clearly directing Bud's commercials towards people who weren't white males, even in the superbowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSMx_f0Mlno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azCNwGnxq0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvuj-OBQCP4

"Easy to drink, easy to enjoy", wow a tagline about the product's actual qualities? It's been decades since they reminded us why light beer became more popular than the calorie-heavy competitors that they defeated (Shaefer's, Shlitz, Stroh's). And that might be a good way to differentiate it from the diceroll experience of trying a local IPA. They were successfully diversifying the audience for Bud Light. And they managed not to alienate their existing consumer base.....until they did.

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 19, 2024

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Don't forget that then they walked their extremely tiny bit of support for one single trans person back following the backlash, because they're stupid, craven assholes, and now they've managed to piss off everyone who feels any feeling either way on the subject of trans people.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I drink Bud Light at airport restaurants, ballparks, and other "mandatory fun" sorts of situations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ted wants top do a full blown investigation into just why AB would use Mulvaney for marketing under the assumption that they are targetting kids.
He has an interview on Fox about it sometime today.

https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1659577184405819394

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^Oh Jesus Christ^^^

I wish I could tolerate Bud Light so I could go out and buy 3 cases of it and make flags/posters out of the packaging. If I could stand to drink it, I'd order it loudly every chance I could. So weird to me that this is the line in the sand for CHUDS to decide to stop drinking terrible flavorless beer. Well, at least THAT terrible flavorless beer. MAGA's didn't bat an eye when the ALL AMERICAN BEER sold the company to a foreign company decades ago but this is a bridge too far, I tell ya what.

I'm telling you, I've heard more Bud Light talk/comments in the last week than I have in my entire life. Reminds me of Hobby Lobby and CHic-Fil-A a little bit. These idiots are completely serious about this stupid bullshit to the point that anyone ordering one in my place of employment will get the side eye at best and a straight up comment on it at worst almost every time.

Now there's a stigma attached to it and for the dumbest of reasons. So god damned loving idiotic I find myself questioning my place in this dumb world. 100% calling that Trump will mention Bud Light in one of his speeches/rallies.

Also

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 22, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OgNar posted:

Ted wants top do a full blown investigation into just why AB would use Mulvaney for marketing under the assumption that they are targetting kids.

Dylan calls herself a girl and not a woman, therefore

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

OgNar posted:

They're never going to let this go. They want to keep up the pressure on trans people as much as they possibly can to try to further stigmatize them, because their goal is for all of them to die.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jesus III posted:

we used to buy a sixer of good beer and a 12er of Bud Light or Mich Ultra. After the good poo poo was gone we no longer cared and hit the Bud/Mich. Hell, The Beast even made an appearance from time to time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah that conveted untapped Bud lite market: little children who don't drink beer and have no money

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

OgNar posted:

After someone's daughter attempts suicide because her powerful father's anti-LGBTQ stance/rhetoric/actions make her feel unloved and unsafe in her own home, you'd think that that person would rethink his stance. At the very least you'd think that he would dial down his performative outrage directed at literally every single gay and/or non-cisgender person who dares to exist.

Not our Ted! Evil gently caress doesn't care about his own daughter or gun violence victims or anyone else other than himself. Gotta fire up that Republican base!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So what Ted is saying is that he likes to buy beer for his kids

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
It's gonna be some dumbass bullshit about she makes TikToks and AB knew she made TikToks and then sent her some cans and then she made a TikTok and some teens are on TikTok so therefore might have seen it so therefore it is advertising directly to children with the intent to advertise to children.

Basically, trans people in public spaces may include minors and so therefore all trans people are targeting minors instead of just simply existing in public spaces the same way everyone else does.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I already said up thread, it's because she says she's going through girlhood because she's not far enough in her transition journey to say womanhood.
Therefore they're marketing to children

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Queering Wheel posted:

They're never going to let this go. They want to keep up the pressure on trans people as much as they possibly can to try to further stigmatize them, because their goal is for all of them to die.

You're not wrong, but additionally they also see trans people as a wedge they can use to start going after all other queer people again and attempt to delegimitize all non-cis -heteronormative people out there once more.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

OgNar posted:

There really is no circle of hell deep enough for these clowns.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I can only assume he is doing this in Florida where he owns many judges.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1660337723045978113

Which reminds me of Desantis trying to get a judge changed because he would likely lose by that one.
You'd think he would have had all Woke judges disbarred in Florida by this point.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1659991168476762113

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Queering Wheel posted:

Well not just that. Also to distract from their own bullshit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OgNar posted:

I can only assume he is doing this in Florida where he owns many judges.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1660337723045978113

Which reminds me of Desantis trying to get a judge changed because he would likely lose by that one.
You'd think he would have had all Woke judges disbarred in Florida by this point.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1659991168476762113
The Disney lawsuit is in federal court, not state courts

also I believe Trump's dumb Twitter clone is headquartered in FL so that's probably why he's filing suit in FL

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

...! posted:

After someone's daughter attempts suicide because her powerful father's anti-LGBTQ stance/rhetoric/actions make her feel unloved and unsafe in her own home, you'd think that that person would rethink his stance. At the very least you'd think that he would dial down his performative outrage directed at literally every single gay and/or non-cisgender person who dares to exist.

Not our Ted! Evil gently caress doesn't care about his own daughter or gun violence victims or anyone else other than himself. Gotta fire up that Republican base!

You shouldn't be surprised, this is the same guy who attempted to shift the blame to his daughters when he hosed off to Cancun after the 2021 winter storm.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Trump suing WaPo with his "legal team" vs what I assume is lawyer PMC owned by Jeff Bezos is going to be a fun one to watch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That suit will be thrown out before it goes anywhere

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Trump suing WaPo with his "legal team" vs what I assume is lawyer PMC owned by Jeff Bezos is going to be a fun one to watch.

I expect it's not a real lawsuit. Its intent is to harass a bunch of people and put out talking points about how Trump is going to own Amazon and WaPo until it's dismissed a year from now for not actually alleging any harm similar to his last defamation suit he filed in Florida.

edit: Even better, this might actually be another Nunes defamation suit since he actually president of the "Trump Media" company filing the suit. So, it might actually live long enough for discovery and the WaPo lawyers to prove that TMTG did commit the securities fraud alleged in the allegedly defamatory article.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm guessing he saw the Dominion lawsuit play out and immediately started bugging what was left of his lawyer team to do him one of those defamation suits too.

Murgos posted:

I expect it's not a real lawsuit. Its intent is to harass a bunch of people and put out talking points about how Trump is going to own Amazon and WaPo until it's dismissed a year from now for not actually alleging any harm similar to his last defamation suit he filed in Florida.

edit: Even better, this might actually be another Nunes defamation suit since he actually president of the "Trump Media" company filing the suit. So, it might actually live long enough for discovery and the WaPo lawyers to prove that TMTG did commit the securities fraud alleged in the allegedly defamatory article.
Oh poo poo that's right, Nunes is involved. I hope WaPo called him a cow.