Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

harperdc posted:

Live link for the Nurburgring 24 Hours, should start 6 hours from now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QamjyNCypg

:siren: This is now live and without a geoblock for the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As long as I have been watching the 24 hours, the Opel Manta has been a running gag and I'm here for it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

algebra testes posted:

As long as I have been watching the 24 hours, the Opel Manta has been a running gag and I'm here for it.

Weirdly enough until the Dacia started competing, the manta was slow but it rarely stopped. After the Dacia, it's a coin toss if the foxtail engine is going to implode and retire.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

loving hell it's a good race so far.

harperdc posted:

:siren: This is now live and without a geoblock for the United States
It's good that Usanians get a backup when whoever was supposed to broadcast it have hosed up.

algebra testes posted:

What do you mean running gag? It's a delightful little car and a fan favorite.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

It's nice watching this. Alex Brundle is driving and the commentators seem just as competent as in F1. Just all over the place...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

refleks posted:

It's nice watching this. Alex Brundle is driving and the commentators seem just as competent as in F1. Just all over the place...

Radio Le Mans crew is great, they're the sound of endurance racing to me.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I love endurance racing. Just had a discussion on cordless v pneumatic tools in the pit lane, now onto advances in lighting technology.

Gotta say non-led lights made for better scenes on tv, or at least I may be misremembering that way.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
De Vries might be a little worried about Liam Lawson. Another great qualifying performance in Super Formula.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

algebra testes posted:

The Opel Manta is not a gag, the foxtail is my friend

Manta's currently running 2nd in class for SP3.

E: No sooner than I say that, Manta into the garage. Think it's time for a brake job

e2: Rear axle out for the Manta, one of the Falken Porsches gave it a bump and damaged the axle.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 21, 2023

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I stand corrected on the Opel Manta! I only meant it in terms of the RLM guys breathlessly giving updates on its progress every year.

We appear to be in very deep Hindhaugh taking questions from twitter hours.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Half way!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I stand corrected on the Opel Manta! I only meant it in terms of the RLM guys breathlessly giving updates on its progress every year.

We appear to be in very deep Hindhaugh taking questions from twitter hours.

Midnight Hindaugh Twitter Hours is the real poo poo

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
böööös

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I thought this guy was gonna catch a ride at first.

https://i.imgur.com/6PVuS3C.mp4

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think I'd like to go to this race

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

net work error posted:

I think I'd like to go to this race

Spa and Nürburgring are both 24 hour parties, so same.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Aw man the Dacia looks like it may be out. Looks like a big hit.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

It’s been an eventful night.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slow motion obviously, just to get a glimpse.

https://i.imgur.com/hkgXsfG.mp4

RIP to a real one.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's all kicking off right now, class leaders are spearing into the arco, the dacia-logan has tangled with a gt2 in a very unfortunate part of the circuit, there's parts all over the road. Daylight is an hour or so away. Madness!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 21, 2023

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Logan my beloved nooooo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Today was the longest race day of forever. I feel for those 24 hour races.

Anyway, the NHRA.tv sub is real fun if you wanna get tires squeeling and banter.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

getting lots of Ford GT vibes from that 296

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Love the Manta being alive.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I have this on at work and people keep calling it NASCAR <:mad:>

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

net work error posted:

Radio Le Mans crew is great, they're the sound of endurance racing to me.
Yeah, Radio Show Ltd (as they're now known, I think because they do more than Le Mans) really are the sound of endurance racing.

ilmucche posted:

I love endurance racing. Just had a discussion on cordless v pneumatic tools in the pit lane, now onto advances in lighting technology.

Gotta say non-led lights made for better scenes on tv, or at least I may be misremembering that way.
I caught that conversation while lying in bed before falling asleep, and it was such a cozy bit.

LED lights are a lot brighter than incandescent bulbs can be, especially on racing cars where you want as much power as possible to go to the wheels.

Powershift posted:

I thought this guy was gonna catch a ride at first.

https://i.imgur.com/6PVuS3C.mp4
Looks to me like they were trying to correct the undercarriage airflow to improve downforce.

Arcella posted:

I have this on at work and people keep calling it NASCAR <:mad:>
NASCAR really does break brains, doesn't it - all that turning right must be getting to them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilmucche posted:

Digital sensors and led lights don't like each others on night shots(it's an intense directional light so it doesn't light up the frame as neatly as other tech), compared to film and halogen or even digital sensors and halogen. You need very good equipment(lenses and processing systems) to compensate and usually track side cameras are designed with sturdiness rather than quality in mind.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

drat the dacia got absolutely clobbered, absolutely garbage driving from the porsche

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

drat the dacia got absolutely clobbered, absolutely garbage driving from the porsche

Only got fined $3k euros no licence points taken, odd decision.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

what's this incident they're talking about as I tune back in just now?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

rewind to 5:33.47 on the clock to see it

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

:argh: finally found it, about 11:16 :30 race time. they picked up Dan Harper's crash at 11:19 and covered a few other disasters in the meantime, noting that the Dacia passed Harper as he struggled on and then went back as he came across the scene of the crash.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 21, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yikes. Really want to see the onboard from the porsche on that one.

Just seen the full speed video in the F1 thread though. The nurburgring onboards are always wild to see at night

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They just reshowed the Dacia one, I think the only fair punishment is Porsche are forced to disband as a car company.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Great advert for aspiring Porsche owners though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dudley posted:

They just reshowed the Dacia one, I think the only fair punishment is Porsche are forced to disband as a car company.

While I understand accepting weird entries for entertainment reason, having a trabant running in the same race of a gt3 on a narrow track like the nurburgring is not the best. I think they should cut the main race allowed classes to gt4 and up and move the dacia+manta to a "tcr and shittier" dedicated race.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

While I understand accepting weird entries for entertainment reason, having a trabant running in the same race of a gt3 on a narrow track like the nurburgring is not the best. I think they should cut the main race allowed classes to gt4 and up and move the dacia+manta to a "tcr and shittier" dedicated race.

It's not weird it's a whole class. If you only accepted sp9 and sp10 you wouldn't have enough cars on track, as only about 1/3 of the cars are the SRO GT4 or FIA GT3 spec.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

It's not an SRO event, it's a NLS organized one, and I'm sure they have a lot more membership in the slower production-based classes than they have from GT3 teams with factory connections. The top class has always been a draw, but it's also not part of a series dedicated to those, so you have to keep your whole constituency in mind.

in the same way, the Bathurst 12 Hour losing some of those slower classes definitely was a place where they lost something of the event.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

orange juche posted:

It's not weird it's a whole class. If you only accepted sp9 and sp10 you wouldn't have enough cars on track, as only about 1/3 of the cars are the SRO GT4 or FIA GT3 spec.

Maybe it could increase the top spec race participants since not having to worry about random boat anchors on the track would make it look less like a wacky races event. You can't deny that to a lot of viewers n24 is felt like a lesser race than any other race in the LMC circuit due to the excess of classes on the track.

edit:
Dacia is officially dead
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsgK0cFtD8u/?hl=en

Structural damage means the engine cannot be fixed.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

You can't deny that to a lot of viewers n24 is felt like a lesser race than any other race in the LMC circuit due to the excess of classes on the track.

the Nurburgring 24 Hours is associated with the NLS (Nurburgring Endurance Series in English), which is a group of races organized by German amateur racing clubs. It's a high-profile event, but it's not part of a global championship for GT3/GT4 cars. It's not connected to the Spa 24 and the GT World Challenge endurance races, it's not connected to the FIA WEC, it's its own thing.