Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

the Nurburgring 24 Hours is associated with the NLS (Nurburgring Endurance Series in English), which is a group of races organized by German amateur racing clubs. It's a high-profile event, but it's not part of a global championship for GT3/GT4 cars. It's not connected to the Spa 24 and the GT World Challenge endurance races, it's not connected to the FIA WEC, it's its own thing.

I know they are different things, but you cannot deny that, even if it's done on a smaller budget, there is sneer on n24 from a lot of endurance fans due to the feeling that is a circus instead of a proper race.

Edit: to compensate for a lovely snipe here is some gte racing at pergusa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BcD_JN55GM

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I know they are different things, but you cannot deny that, even if it's done on a smaller budget, there is sneer on n24 from a lot of endurance fans due to the feeling that is a circus instead of a proper race.

This I don't get, I've never heard of anyone thinking of the N24 as a lesser event. It's less publicized outside of people who are neck deep in endurance racing but among people who know what it is I've never heard something like people looking down at the N24.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 21, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

orange juche posted:

This I don't get, I've never heard of anyone thinking of the N24 as a lesser event. It's less publicized outside of people who are neck deep in endurance racing but among people who know what it is I've never heard something like people looking down at the N24.

Maybe it's a regional thing, i don't know. Probably it's a consequence of not being in the spotlight as LMC. It's not as prevalent in kids that lived on gran turismo and forza games tho.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SlowBloke posted:

But that’s what it… is. It’s an am race that’s kind of a circus, that’s the point. Making it more like the other enduros would make it less special, not more imo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why was that guy jumping on the Porsche?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why was that guy jumping on the Porsche?

Something stuck in the chassis, struts or other support systems in the front.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If I were a faster class driver not wanting trouble with slower cars I would simply not drive straight into the back of them like a chump

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

SlowBloke posted:

While I understand accepting weird entries for entertainment reason, having a trabant running in the same race of a gt3 on a narrow track like the nurburgring is not the best. I think they should cut the main race allowed classes to gt4 and up and move the dacia+manta to a "tcr and shittier" dedicated race.

Then it'd be any other generic GT race of which the world has about 9 million.

But regardless I agree with the others the N24 is a race for the club cars in which they allow GT3 and associated types to participate, not a GT3 race with joke entries.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 21, 2023

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If the Porsche had made the pass like it and everyone else had done for the previous 11ish hours nobody would be asking for any changes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Then it'd be any other generic GT race of which the world has about 9 million.

It’d be at the Nordschleife so it’d be a spectacle instead of a circus, but it would lose what makes it special. 32 top-class cars alone is drat near the size of the WEC grid, and they had 230,000 plus people over the race weekend, so clearly the formula needs tweaking :v:

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The Frikadelli team clearly doesn't know how a Ferrari works. You can't just come to a race with a new car and win like that, especially not with a Ferrari.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A 24 hour race decided in hour 2 by an early pitstop (after only 5 laps, rather than the usual 7-8), at less than 30 seconds between P1 and P2.

loving wild.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And Ferrari won 2 classes, the #7 position won its class. AND a course lap record.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ewe2 posted:

And Ferrari won 2 classes, the #7 position won its class. AND a course lap record.

Two of the three Ferrari 296 GT3s in the race won their respective classes :psyduck:

First win for Ferrari overall, and one of only a small handful of victories by a non-German brand (the last one being a Chrysler Viper in the early 2000s, the other being Ford though that's debatable).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
On the "Go to LeMans or die trying" front, decathlon in-house brand Quechua has a decent foldable chair in their MH500 model which seats normal people and MH500XL which fits goons. The XL variant is rare so be prepared to fight to source it. I got the last one in my town decathlon foldable chair bin. It requires mounting so if you have zero technical skills you might want to grab a less compact unit but without assembly requirements.

This is the promo video for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzOElRZ4HMc

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 21, 2023

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Lawson won Yesterday’s Super Formula race. Great performance.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Frond posted:

Lawson won Yesterday’s Super Formula race. Great performance.

Does Lawson have a Lawson sponsorship?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

Two of the three Ferrari 296 GT3s in the race won their respective classes :psyduck:

First win for Ferrari overall, and one of only a small handful of victories by a non-German brand (the last one being a Chrysler Viper in the early 2000s, the other being Ford though that's debatable).

The 296 won one of the N24 qualifying races too so it wasn't its first win but first major endurance win for sure.

Also the "get rid of slower cars" take is probably the worst take in the history of takes. N24 is the last major endurance race that you can show up with a group of mates in a car you built and prepped yourselves and that gives the race an entirely unique and wonderful character and to turn that into a race for only off the shelf customer cars would be a terrible loss for the sport.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 21, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The 296 won one of the N24 qualifying races too so it wasn't its first win but first major endurance win for sure.

Also the "get rid of slower cars" take is probably the worst take in the history of takes. N24 is the last major endurance race that you can show up with a group of mates in a car you built and prepped yourselves and that gives the race an entirely unique and wonderful character and to turn that into a race for only off the shelf customer cars would be a terrible loss for the sport.

:agreed:
I want to meet these people who think the N24 is a lesser race that would be made better by making it a GT3 spec race, so that I might look upon them with disdain.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

You could argue that undersells it somewhat, you can't just show up, you have to have passed your DTP(?) as well which is like a separate license to race at the ring.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Exhausted but the Route 66 nationals were a lot of fun. If the NHRA comes to your area, you should check it out. Stuff exploded, cars rolled around, cool engineering poo poo happened. We even had some incarnation of the Blues Brothers(they drove around the pits in a golf cart with a stereo and speaker rig playing old Chicago blues tunes). Concession stand food was good too.

Anyway, I’m gonna try and imagine what sleep is like.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Anyone know when they're sending out the (?digital) Le Mans tickets?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Arcella posted:

I got an email when i bought the ticket in December with a link to download it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

Instantaneous after the credit card cleared. You can get the PDF in your account page.
Keep in mind that if you got a green one you need to send them the travel detail(train/bus/electric car rental) before june.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Weird, still haven’t gotten ours from the tour group.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

Weird, still haven’t gotten ours from the tour group.

I would strongly advise to confirm with the tour group if those tickets exist or not.

ACO has just sent me a reminder about these resources for tourists, in case someone didn't accept their newsletter here they are

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/info/practical-information
https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/program
https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/faq/circuit-access

https://assets.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/courses/2023/24-heures-du-mans/2023-24-heures-du-mans-program.pdf

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 27, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Japanese Super Taikyu Fuji 24 Hours is live now - just under 19 hours remaining, though it's under caution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-4AzTM_mpk

The interesting news from here is that Toyota's Rookie Racing Corolla, which had been running hydrogen for the past couple years (including the 24 Hours), is...going to run hydrogen this weekend. But instead of compressed gas, they're running liquid hydrogen. And with news breaking that the ACO has added hydrogen combustion technology as a potential option for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and therefore also WEC as a sub-class probably of LMP1 Hypercar. The announcement was made at Fuji Speedway, and Toyota's new CEO had very positive noises to make about this; if I had to guess, they were also on a fact-finding mission about the Toyota H2 ICE car and liquid hydrogen infrastructure being used at a racing circuit, because that latter point especially truly is new ground.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

The interesting news from here is that Toyota's Rookie Racing Corolla, which had been running hydrogen for the past couple years (including the 24 Hours), is...going to run hydrogen this weekend. But instead of compressed gas, they're running liquid hydrogen. And with news breaking that the ACO has added hydrogen combustion technology as a potential option for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and therefore also WEC as a sub-class probably of LMP1 Hypercar. The announcement was made at Fuji Speedway, and Toyota's new CEO had very positive noises to make about this; if I had to guess, they were also on a fact-finding mission about the Toyota H2 ICE car and liquid hydrogen infrastructure being used at a racing circuit, because that latter point especially truly is new ground.

Wouldn't combusting liquid hydrogen require to keep most if not all the fuel system at cryogenic temperatures? It doesn't seem a technology easy to package in a way that can handle crashes and all the damage a WEC race can exert on a car.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Wouldn't combusting liquid hydrogen require to keep most if not all the fuel system at cryogenic temperatures? It doesn't seem a technology easy to package in a way that can handle crashes and all the damage a WEC race can exert on a car.

There's a lot of cooling in adiabatic expansion to take advantage of. I assume that's part of it.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Well, this sucks but life has conspired against me making it this year. Where would one go to sell a pair of Le Mans tickets? I've got 2x T18 grandstand/full week GEs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pvt. Public posted:

Well, this sucks but life has conspired against me making it this year. Where would one go to sell a pair of Le Mans tickets? I've got 2x T18 grandstand/full week GEs.

sent you a pm

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Me too pls! Sent you a backup pm. I only need one GE ticket but if the grandstand is part of the bundle I'll pay for it.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 28, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Finger prince, if you guys just need admission, i could buy the grandstand+ge full week from private and sell you my green full week admission.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 29, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Finger prince, if you guys just need admission, i could buy the grandstand+ge full week from private and sell you my green full week admission.

Yeah I'm cool with that. I'll be taking the train from Paris. I bought a regular ticket, but my ticketless friend I'm trying to find one for is coming with so I'll have a train ticket to show them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah I'm cool with that. I'll be taking the train from Paris. I bought a regular ticket, but my ticketless friend I'm trying to find one for is coming with so I'll have a train ticket to show them.

I already did the train ticket compliance part so the ticket is cleared on that front, I'll let you know more via PM.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 29, 2023

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I saw on Daily Sportscar that the 787b will be there, I hope to see it run but I don't think we'll be at the track until Saturday.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Arcella posted:

I saw on Daily Sportscar that the 787b will be there, I hope to see it run but I don't think we'll be at the track until Saturday.

Well if you're somewhere in France on the Friday you'll probably still be able to hear it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm rescinding my 3rd dibs on Pvt. Public's tickets - my friend can't make it anymore.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Reminder that it's the annual fortnight long celebration of the highest form of being a bit mad:

https://www.iomttraces.com/racing/page/2023-schedule/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Slight off topic, where can I find a reliable weather service that covers lemans? I am starting to pack stuff and apple weather is showing rains during the weekend but i'd like another opinion before committing to hard rain kit.