Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
a guy asking for directions on everest while apple bottom jeans plays is peak surrealist comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

To be fair... posted:

The health range is all over the place from 40 all the way up to 180+. Resting heart rate is like 40-60 depending on level of athleticism and age.

With this goober though, when he stops, his heart rate should be able to slow down as he rests. I just assumed his heart rate monitor was broken, haha.

Resting 60-100 is the normal range, 40-60 is more athlete level.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dr_rat posted:

So looks like there is wi-fi at base camp and 3g cell network in areas going up to it:

https://www.holymountaintreks.com/blog/mobile-phone-reception-on-everest-base-camp/

no wonder more people are dying!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I mean I shouldn't mock, I've no evidence I'd do any better, but drat he sounds like an old man on the edge of collapse

Edit: How high is he now?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

you should mock, dude sucks rear end

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fair. I mean I wouldn't attempt to climb Everest. But if I did it wouldn't be after the most half-assed possible preperation.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Deptfordx posted:

I mean I shouldn't mock, I've no evidence I'd do any better, but drat he sounds like an old man on the edge of collapse

Edit: How high is he now?

He's at Namche, 11,290ft. So he's struggling with over a vertical mile left to climb.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

isn't everybody else wrapping up and the climbing window is p much over?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ethanol posted:

isn't everybody else wrapping up and the climbing window is p much over?

Pretty sure they're trying to climb up a mountain not a window!
:dadjoke:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

In other news, I just finished reading "The Waiting Land" by (recently dead at 90) Irish writer Dervla Murphy, which is about her seven months helping out at a Tibetan refugee camp in Pokhara, Nepal, in 1965. The prose can be dry at times, but seeing 1965 Nepal from the viewpoint of a well-traveled young European was still interesting. She really, really likes to point out how welcoming and nice the Tibetans refugees are, and how hospitality varies wildly among Nepalese, and gets the occasional hipsterish zinger in about Western tourists. Then she goes on her sixth rant about how filthy and unwashed everybody is and throws out the word "Tiblet" to describe Tibetan kids and...was that the accepted word at the time?

The last twenty pages or so are spent on a two-week hike to the edge of the Himalayas with a hired Sherpa, and it's 180 opposite of what that live streamer is doing. At one point she just gives up on trying to get a good picture of the mountains, because of an "aversion to the falsification of mountain photography. In such surroundings even the most expertly-wielded camera cannot help but lie, and once the reality has been seen the preservation of fragments seems futile. Also it distresses me to break up visually the wholeness of a Himalayan landscape in an effort to see it as a series of ‘good pictures’."

And on seeing the Himalayas from her departing plane:
"To east and west they stretched as far as the eye could see, a wild symphony of remote whiteness, beautiful and terrible beyond all imagining. Yet, curiously, this was as imperfect an experience as seeing a tiger in a zoo. Better one glimpse of one peak from the top of a pass that has been struggled against than the whole of this facile, faintly sacrilegious survey from the artificial comfort of an aeroplane."

Welp, I still like the picture I took of Everest from a plane two pages back.

That being said, here's a line that could have been written today about the joys of going off the grid:
"The fact that in our world millions of citizens are subjected daily to selected details of crises in sixteen different
directions seems more likely to dement the citizens than to aid the crises."

It would be interesting to see how this observation about Nepal's economic development as played out in the 58 years since:
"Already our forward-looking, past-despising ‘experts’ are striving to help Nepal ‘to make up for lost time’ by
discarding the sound values that lie, half-hidden but still active, beneath ‘pagan superstition’ – and that would
provide a firmer foundation on which to build the new Nepal than our own mass production code, which makes
a virtue of unnecessary earning for the sake of unnecessary spending."

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 21, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is IP (freely) actually planning to summit

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deptfordx posted:

Thank you. Had a moment of worry there.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Deptfordx posted:

Let me scare goons into exercising!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Streamer at 9:50am walks by books for sale and brags about how he will save money because "I don't read." Sounds about right.

About 15 minutes earlier he reallllly wants to buy peanut butter, the store clerk says 100 rupees. He only has a 1000-rupee bill, asks for change. She says she can't make change. Some more confusion and he decides he misheard and pays her 1000 rupees for the jar of peanut butter. Well done, shop owner.

(Google tells me 1000 rupees is about $7.50)

Edit; a quick glance at peanut butter for sale in Nepal, I would believe that 1000 is actually a fair price considering the effort of getting it to the mountain. Maybe I was still recovering from the fact he had just barged into a dude's home describing it as "like Skyrim."

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 21, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i hope nepal takes all this nerd's lunch money

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this is so pathetic but I can't look away

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

To be fair... posted:

Let me scare goons into exercising!

Age 51, resting heart rate 51. Cardio (mostly biking for me) is good for you!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
He's in bed now. Looks utterly exhausted. This silly bastard is going to get someone killed.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He's going to give up soon. I'm calling it now.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Maybe I was still recovering from the fact he had just barged into a dude's home describing it as "like Skyrim."

clip or timestamp or

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Chief McHeath posted:

clip or timestamp or

https://www.youtube.com/live/IcEC_iuED54?feature=share&t=26189

Watching again, the guy saying "Hello..." is his companion talking. And there's some woman just sitting there on what looks like a bed in a room that doubles as a tea/rest house? But my point still stands. He went in telling his stream he can just walk into people's homes. Then he caps it off with asking the woman, "Do you have peanut butter? Pea-nut but-ter? PEAAAANUT BUUUUTTTER?!" Then makes the mouth sounds of eating peanut butter.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 21, 2023

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
The live stream is back up and he’s just hurling in the darkness. Forget flying cars, we got streamers getting sick while pretending to be ceo adjacent.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

is IP (freely) actually planning to summit

I have evidence to suggest he is incapable of planning ahead, so this seems unlikely.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
I’m so thrilled that everyone is enjoying this train wreck as much as me. Can’t believe I found this in the wild. It really reminds me of something I would have found on this site 10-15 years ago. Echoes of Texarrakis, or the goon who was planning to walk across the country pushing a shopping trolley and gave up after 2 days.

Since it’s middle of the night in Nepal right now I started watching the vod from his livestream 3 days ago and it seems our story starts here. The vod begins with him being sold on the everest trip by Deepak, one of his companions. He’s been discussing the logistics of purchasing and carrying a generator on the hike for about 20 minutes while everyone around him becomes increasingly exasperated:

https://www.youtube.com/live/l31I1M1Z7aU?feature=share

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

I’m so thrilled that everyone is enjoying this train wreck as much as me. Can’t believe I found this in the wild. It really reminds me of something I would have found on this site 10-15 years ago. Echoes of Texarrakis, or the goon who was planning to walk across the country pushing a shopping trolley and gave up after 2 days.

Didn't he give up after like 2 hours?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Since it’s middle of the night in Nepal right now I started watching the vod from his livestream 3 days ago and it seems our story starts here. The vod begins with him being sold on the everest trip by Deepak, one of his companions. He’s been discussing the logistics of purchasing and carrying a generator on the hike for about 20 minutes while everyone around him becomes increasingly exasperated:

This is so funny, he's such an idiot. He's really fixated on this generator.

Beefed Owl posted:

Didn't he give up after like 2 hours?

That's hilarious, you'd think that if you planned a hike like this you'd have some prior experience

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 21, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

He wants to carry a generator up Mount Everest? Does he know he won't even get a hug out of it?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
ive heard of carrying printers but this is just silly!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's truly shocking we made it this far as a species.

As good evidence as any of a benevolent god.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I haven't time to watch a long stream.

What is his solution in the end? I mean if he's making and streaming superlong videos, presumably he's got some backup power thing going on.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Around 1h 20m into that video he says there's not going to be snow in the mountains and has to be corrected by his guide, this is after he buys two very crappy looking solar charging powerbanks... he's not prepared at all, he didn't even do the slightest bit of research, he didn't know that he will need polarized sunglasses either.

Edit: oh gently caress, of course he's a Trump supporter

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 21, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It takes staying at altitude for a significant amount of time, but yes you can absolutely naturally dope this way. Effects last a few weeks.

Metabolism, on the other hand, increases at altitude extremely quickly, and dropoff when you return to normal is much slower, even months.

which is believed to be one of the reasons behind this hilarious chart

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I think he's just trying to get to Basecamp. He is like all the worst stereotypes of an american tourist at once, except he's not overweight despite sounding like a fatter, stupider Burt Kreischer. Such an unreal combo of unbelievably ignorant, loud, obnoxious and just the weirdest loving behaviour, like zero concept of how to act around other people, it's amazing. The stuff where he just walks into random houses/buildings, or collapses on the floor in hotel reception, he's so fuckin melodramatic that people keep rushing to help him until they realise he's just a loving moron and give up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude is actually stupid as hell and maybe he will get eaten by some wildlife

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it seems unlikely hes so much as thought of needing a permit but I want to see some clips of him stumbling into base camp hacking up a lung and very loudly complaining about wifi or something while real climbers presumably are packing up from completed summit bids (he's showing up at the tail end of the season lol)

if anybody happens to see him interact with real climbers passing by on the trail please timestamp for me

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

So I haven't time to watch a long stream.

What is his solution in the end? I mean if he's making and streaming superlong videos, presumably he's got some backup power thing going on.

I haven’t watched it all the way thru either but when I was watching the livestream last night he mentioned his pack being 40 pounds because of all the battery banks.

Kamrat posted:

Around 1h 20m into that video he says there's not going to be snow in the mountains and has to be corrected by his guide, this is after he buys two very crappy looking solar charging powerbanks... he's not prepared at all, he didn't even do the slightest bit of research, he didn't know that he will need polarized sunglasses either.

Edit: oh gently caress, of course he's a Trump supporter

I just watched this part it’s insane how clueless he is.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I think he's just trying to get to Basecamp. He is like all the worst stereotypes of an american tourist at once, except he's not overweight despite sounding like a fatter, stupider Burt Kreischer. Such an unreal combo of unbelievably ignorant, loud, obnoxious and just the weirdest loving behaviour, like zero concept of how to act around other people, it's amazing. The stuff where he just walks into random houses/buildings, or collapses on the floor in hotel reception, he's so fuckin melodramatic that people keep rushing to help him until they realise he's just a loving moron and give up.

When I first started watching this I had thought he was an actual hiker or mountaineer who was doing a bit. Realizing that this is his actual personality was an absolute mindfuck. At the 7:08 in this vod was when I began to realize this and any suspension of disbelief rapidly fell apart after that:
https://www.youtube.com/live/IcEC_iuED54?feature=share

e:

ethanol posted:

it seems unlikely hes so much as thought of needing a permit but I want to see some clips of him stumbling into base camp hacking up a lung and very loudly complaining about wifi or something while real climbers presumably are packing up from completed summit bids (he's showing up at the tail end of the season lol)

if anybody happens to see him interact with real climbers passing by on the trail please timestamp for me

Go to 7:52 in the link above for a real treat

HAM ON THE BONE fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 22, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
He's lying down and his heart rate is 115. That seems kinda high for sleeping.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Go to 7:52 in the link above for a real treat

yup that went about as well as I thought, people who planned their trip slowly piecing together how dumb he really is

HopperUK posted:

He's lying down and his heart rate is 115. That seems kinda high for sleeping.
he's possibly already in the depths of altitude sickness. t he people in the time stamp above were trying to warn him and saying they had trouble sleeping from altitude sickness at namcha and took an extra day to acclimatize there. when he got to the hotel he was coughing a ton and basically ready to collapse

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 22, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

I haven’t watched it all the way thru either but when I was watching the livestream last night he mentioned his pack being 40 pounds because of all the battery banks.

According to this 20kg is normal (or at least allowable. So if he packed smart technically that could be fine.

I don't know what else he packed, but yeah sounds like 100% he did not pack smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
At what point does someone need to contact some sort of authority over this dumbass?