Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Taima posted:

It's quite scary, this is very strong for this time of year, and another WWB (western wind burst) is initializing which will push even more eastward, and it's looking extremely robust, look at those westerly winds! Very unusual!

Comin' in like a western wind
Do you feel home from all directions?
First bloom, you know it's spring
Remindin' me, love, that it's all connected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

Taima does good posts, thanks Taima

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

my morning alarm sets off a radio and plays world news briefly so i can be sad as i greet the day, and i'm sure this has been discussed but in a piece about the G7 it was remarked the meeting "tackled" issues like poverty, violence, the war and climate change and i feel like i can't be the only one who wondered how each world leader like. got there. to the summit.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
i wonder how many of them joked about taking the G6 to the G7

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm not really bothered by leaders flying to their climate summits, it's a drop in the ocean really. At worst it provides a stick to critics to beat them with, and it's bad optics, but in reality it's just not a problem.

Deals to solve climate change don't get done as it is, why make it even less likely with zoom meetings?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

sorry, to be clear, i know it doesn't make a difference whatsoever. they could have used a private jet, each of them, one for each piece of luggage they carried, and it wouldn't matter. what's funny to me is that a) the climate was a footnote on this broadcast and b) there's something emblematic about world leaders taking massive private jets to go to a meeting to discuss how they can limply combat the inevitable while simultaneously discussing the economics of how to best pretend to do that while still appeasing various shareholders. started my day with a lmao if you will.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the elites act the way they do because they've known for decades what's coming and that it can't be stopped, so yes it's all theater

there's nothing any politician can do

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

they could send me :10bux:

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Taima posted:

This is a complicated line of thought (jet dynamics are extremely dynamic and complex) but El Nino strengthens the jet and displaces it south. It is by definition not associated with the meandering jet stream that has presented often recently.

The general predisposition is shown here:

And I should say again that we are focusing on the north pacific and its attendant flows and not a worldwide scenario. The jet is a projection, at least in part, of the effects of the atmospheric bridging between equatorial heat and its transportation into the jet flow.

Or to put it more easily, the jet is typically pretty localized, and responds to heat south of it on the equatorial band. Therefore the effects of El Nino, while having downstream effects, are more locally effective directly and adjacently north of it. Which is to say, it affects us the most.

Though it also depends on where the El Nino is centralized. There are numerous +ENSO modes. El Nino Modokai, or centrally displaced El Nino, all the way to a strong EP, or east pacific El Nino. The latter of which is the canonical El Nino and the one that has by far the biggest and most forecastable effects on the USA and adjacent nations.

Ever since the 97-98 El Nino switched us into a new climatology, subsequent El Ninos have been rather uninspired, and often not canonically presented in the far EPAC, which has meant that El Ninos have even been rather detrimental to rainfall in the last 30 years.

If an El Nino is not east pacific based that is normally due to a weakness in the system dynamics- the kelvin waves that push warm water eastward don't have the oomph and staying power to stay lodged against the far EPAC so you get a more centrally displaced event, which in turn effects the atmospheric bridge, which then establishes cell dynamics where the USA has to deal with a falling/non-convective branch. That's how weaker El Ninos and/or centrally positioned El Ninos can show effects far different from a canonical event.

It's important to understand that broadly speaking, El Nino is an attempt to balance the system which is made unbalanced by the trade winds caused by a rotating earth. The equatorial waters are warm on the surface, and then the completely normal west-bound trade winds pile up all of that water in the West equatorial pacific.

This makes the Pacific Ocean literally unbalanced:

Get what I'm saying here? The warm West Pacific waters slosh over to the Eastern Pacific with often great momentum, because the water is literally evening out, which imparts velocity to the packets (kelvin waves).

You can almost think about this like the far west pacific is normally experiencing enhanced El Nino-like effects due to the captive water there. When an El Nino event happens, that water shifts to the east, which then establishes the uplifting/convective branch of the circulation off the EPAC and therefore pumps the jet stream to the north of it due to the atmospheric bridging.

And that's, broadly speaking, the system: water is built up in the west pacific. Once that water gets too unbalanced, it's like a hot water kettle, I guess; at some point the system attempts to re-equalize which throws quickly-traveling packets of warm water eastward, which are called kelvin waves.

Idk if this is even worth describing due to how technical it is. I hope this is of help.

The TAO system is a bunch of buoys on the equatorial pacific that track these kelvin waves and here is where we are now- you can see kelvin waves traveling east and piling up:

It's quite scary, this is very strong for this time of year, and another WWB (western wind burst) is initializing which will push even more eastward, and it's looking extremely robust, look at those westerly winds! Very unusual!

Note: The box drawn on the equator represents the zone in which westerly winds will generate kelvin waves- they must be almost dead on the equator.

These winds are about to generate a typhoon as well!

Which then causes the kelvin waves you are seeing in action here:

^ This image above is easier than it looks. It just shows the equator; warm waters traveling to the far east of the image, which is off ecuador and presents us with our far east-pacific "real deal" El Nino system.

Once these waters establish and the ocean/atmospheric systems are coupled, you then get a steady flow of water to Ecuador/Galapagos until El Nino fizzles sometime in winter. Though El Nino events can last more than one year.

Random note: a lot of people say that El Nino is the opposite of La Nina, even nominally learned people sometimes claim this, but it couldn't be further from the truth. El Nino represents an entirely different climatological regime; La Nina is just the further strengthening of the trade dynamics that already exist in the pacific.

this was long for my weed and adhd addled brain but i kept it open in another tab for a couple days and came back to it a few times and goddamn am I grateful Taima. after years of poo poo articles giving bad explanations of what el nino is i finally think i understand it (tradewinds drive water and energy west most of the time until enough of it piles up that it comes cascading back east for a bit until it settles/rebalances).

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Xaris posted:

apparently iphone just rolled out an opt-out "Clean Energy Charging" where it'll only charge to 50% if it's "unclean energy hours" versus "clean energy hours". if you opt out it's like "WOW! Are you sure?? Clean Energy charging reduces your carbon footprint! It's recommended not to turn this off!"

great, saving like 20 watts. i'm really doing my part reducing my carbon footprint :thumbsup:

There's George Manbiot's "microconsumer bollocks" but this has to be in pico or femto territory.

B.C. produces 90% of its electricity from hydroelectric dams. Due to the nature of the North American electricity market at certain periods of the day it's cheaper to idle some of the generators and buy electricity from other regions, saving the water for when the price spikes again. We don't actually have time of day pricing for electricity but if you own an EV and program it to recharge during low demand periods because you want to feel like a responsible citizen there's a definite chance you're buying electricity from Alberta at 60% coal power.

:rubby: No ethical consumption under capitalism.

Wheeee posted:

robustas are fine, they got a bad rep from marketing campaigns by companies like starbucks

otoh, if it originated with Starbucks it's bullshit. otoh robustas give me heartburn. But so do some arabicas so :shrug: There are days when it just needs to be brown and caffeinated. Gonna CRISPR a caffeine gene into dandelions. Or even better, Himalayan Giant blackberries. Mocha frappe oatmilk grande double-double blackberry smoothie.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Xaris posted:

apparently iphone just rolled out an opt-out "Clean Energy Charging" where it'll only charge to 50% if it's "unclean energy hours" versus "clean energy hours". if you opt out it's like "WOW! Are you sure?? Clean Energy charging reduces your carbon footprint! It's recommended not to turn this off!"

great, saving like 20 watts. i'm really doing my part reducing my carbon footprint :thumbsup:

Would apple be able to claim the carbon savings from this program as part of their own offsets programs? With extremely overinflated program usage metrics of course. Like any savings you see from this have already been spent by the company pushing this, is my thinking.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Hexigrammus posted:

Gonna CRISPR a caffeine gene into dandelions.

Well, you can dry and grind up dandelion root to make a (caffeine-less) coffee substitute already, so that would actually be kinda cool.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I was watching the local news in Portland and saw this lmao:

I moved here because I love temperate rainforests and their mild weather. Now it gets hot as poo poo in the Spring and Summer, trees have mass die offs, my garden keeps getting killed, we have a smoke season, and it stops raining for a month at at time. The day it hit 115F hosed up a lot of people here.

Think it was actually 117F hahaha... hah. If it wasn't in Portland it was here in Gladstone.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 19:29 on May 21, 2023

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Wheeee posted:

the elites act the way they do because they've known for decades what's coming and that it can't be stopped, so yes it's all theater

there's nothing any politician can do

Make me god emperor and I'll get poo poo done

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

im_sorry posted:

Well, you can dry and grind up dandelion root to make a (caffeine-less) coffee substitute already, so that would actually be kinda cool.

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with a caffieneless coffee substitute

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Just a Moron posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with a caffieneless coffee substitute

grind up caffeine pills and mix em in

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

celadon posted:

Would apple be able to claim the carbon savings from this program as part of their own offsets programs? With extremely overinflated program usage metrics of course. Like any savings you see from this have already been spent by the company pushing this, is my thinking.

usually companies are absolutely loath to count the emissions from the use of their products as part of their own emissions.

like for example, when chevron says their carbon footprint is X, they're excluding the carbon emitted from burning the fuels they produce they consider that part of the user's emissions footprint.

honestly doing demand/emissions response is good and should be mandated by the government for absolutely everything possible, but of course since apple has the easiest market sector to do it in, they do it by themselves for the eco cred.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris posted:

woah nice. most phones are only using USB to charge so it's more like 5 or 10 watts. for reference the average cable box uses 140 watts. air conditioners are more like 1000 watts

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Just a Moron posted:

blatman posted:

grind up caffeine pills and mix em in

look at these chummers who haven't found some soykaf yet :rolleyes:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Hubbert posted:

look at these chummers who haven't found some soykaf yet :rolleyes:

Is this one of those horrors I need to be studying?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

woah nice. most phones are only using USB to charge so it's more like 5 or 10 watts. for reference the average cable box uses 140 watts. air conditioners are more like 1000 watts

i was actually thinking watt-hours but lol i was still off by half. just incredible brains on display

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Stereotype posted:

But it’s a pain in the rear end that makes your life slightly worse every day, and that’s what counts!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gamers with their fat gpus and xboxen are having an outsized effect upon climate change

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

cat botherer posted:

But it’s a pain in the rear end that makes your life slightly worse every day, and that’s what counts!

telling people to turn off their AC for literally five minutes between 5 and 9pm would be more effective than what apple is doing lmao

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Humans are just huge pussies that need to learn to live without climate control. You think loving bears have space heaters in their caves? You think lions run ACs out on the Savanah? No, they suck it up and get down to animal business.

:qq: this combination of temperature and humidity is exceeding my body's natural cooling ability giving me heatstroke :qq:

Pathetic.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
People HATE it when you tell them that their ecological virtue signaling is actually pointless. Like turning off your lights: who loving cares anymore? people who want to save the environment and are "concerned" about global warming care and will remind you to turn the lights off, "don't you know how much electricity you are saving??" Yes. I do know. It's not much. Maybe back when lightbulbs used up 100W each it was a big deal, but modern LED bulbs use like 5W. If you had a light on for 24 hours it uses up as much electricity as an electric car driving 700 yards. Only nerds know how much power anything uses though and can do simple arithmetic, so we're going to do pointless things and pretend they are meaningful until we die.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Stereotype posted:

we're going to do pointless things and pretend they are meaningful until we die.

Welcome to Earth.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Just a Moron posted:

Humans are just huge pussies that need to learn to live without climate control. You think loving bears have space heaters in their caves? You think lions run ACs out on the Savanah? No, they suck it up and get down to animal business.

:qq: this combination of temperature and humidity is exceeding my body's natural cooling ability giving me heatstroke :qq:

Pathetic.

Speaking of

https://twitter.com/PGDynes/status/1660302247572430850?t=rq7tV9ZBG_x9TnrSULjf3Q&s=19

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/PGDynes/status/1660402436828176384

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeriepieris_circle

That's not good.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hexigrammus posted:

Is this one of those horrors I need to be studying?

only if you're rolling up a shadowrun character sheet :kiddo:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Heh, "this'll be an issue in the coming decades."

More like, in this decade. Sooner rather than later.

I remember one of the plots from Deep Space 9 involved a Bond-style supervillain building a lair on top of Mount Everest and flooding the entire world save for the very top of the summit. Looking forward to mountain chalets becoming mountain fortresses.

And to borrow from In Time, aside from water access, the best place to build will be at higher elevations - for the marginally better air quality.

I'm sure a ton of urban areas are already well over 1000ppm in CO2 levels most of the year.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I wanted to continue the bit, but goddamn how awful :smith:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MightyBigMinus posted:

this was long for my weed and adhd addled brain but i kept it open in another tab for a couple days and came back to it a few times and goddamn am I grateful Taima. after years of poo poo articles giving bad explanations of what el nino is i finally think i understand it (tradewinds drive water and energy west most of the time until enough of it piles up that it comes cascading back east for a bit until it settles/rebalances).

<3 I am happy to help and appreciate all the kind words. I've studied El Nino for many years, and it's really taken me a long time to synthesize these points in ways people can hopefully understand. You guys have been so good to me for so many years it's really the least I can do <3

And yes, you basically have it! Let's bring it home! All of the info I've discussed plus a little more to really give the full picture. This is my last effort post unless something changes.

----------------

Earth receives most of its incoming heat at the equator, which heavily warms the waters there. If nothing else happened, the equator would be more or less equally heated across the entire thing, right? But the earth rotates, which makes things interesting.

The earth's rotation creates the trade winds over the hottest (most energy rich) ocean waters in the world.

These trade winds push warm water west, where they encounter land masses that pile the water up:

You might be asking, why the other oceans don't built heat in the same way? Why don't they have pronounced warm pools on the western end of the equatorial oceans in the Indian and Atlantic oceans? Well, that has to do with the size of the oceans. The Pacific is incredibly vast. Therefore it has the most space to collect warm water. This is a simplification, and the Atlantic kinda does a mini version, but that's getting into the weeds.

El Nino is basically the pressure release valve for the West Pacific Warm Pool, which is the biggest warm pool in the entire world. For a rough comparison, think of a hot water kettle; it warms until a certain point, then begins ejecting steam. El Nino is kinda like this; El Nino is broadly speaking, a pressure release valve on the system.

For example, warm water displaces more space than cold water. This makes the ocean literally higher in the West Pacific and lower in the East Pacific:

This is incredibly unintuitive. I think if you asked a random person if the ocean was higher in some places than others, they would laugh. But it's not just true, it's so true that we can actually use satellites to measure the height differences, and use that as a proxy for the overall heat in that section of water, which is really loving cool if you ask me.

Check this poo poo out:

That's a map of water heights! So cool. It's constantly changing of course. This is just a rough map of 1992 and I don't even know that it's correct :shrug: but you can at least see the dynamics at play, so it's worth understanding.

Anyways- imagine if this water kept piling up? The more the water piles up, the more force is exerted on the system to rebalance. This should be intuitive; what comes up must come down, no? So, the trade winds will always keep piling up water. After all, the globe will always rotate (it actually rotates faster and slower depending on various factors but that is beyond the scope of this discussion). El Nino causes the earth to rotate slower, which is pretty dope but doesn't have much to do with our talk here today.

At a certain point, the overall factors in the system will drive an attempt to "blow off some steam" which is, on a basic level, what El Nino constitutes.

This is also why La Nina almost always follows El Nino; after El Nino the system is off balance in the other direction, which simply re-establishes trade winds (La Nina is not the opposite of El Nino, it is just an aggrivated push towards resuming normal trade functions)

The West Pacific Warm Pool is so large, and therefore such a container of heat energy, that its displacement alters the function of the entire ocean/atmospheric system. It changes the entire system of air circulation:

^ This is an important image. Things you need to know, and I'm trying to keep this light on details. Air circulation is a big rectangle and the most dominant part of the circulation creates the rest of the circulation.

This is somewhat technical, sorry, but the end results are easy to understand:

A) The UPLIFT part of the cell is because of convective energy (you can see in this image, it's creating rainfall above it!). You can see that the Warm Pool creates a near-permanent uplift branch in the far West Pacific. This is because the warm water convects upwards.

B) The moisture/energy-laden air is then moved Eastward over the Pacific. But it eventually falls DOWNARD, because a loop like this must always have upwards and downward components to make a circulation, right? This happens in the far East Pacific, where the USA is, because the trades move all the warm water west, leaving the water in the East Pacific cold as poo poo.

Downward moving air stifles storm formation and is associated with higher pressure. The image I posted is so important that I'm going to post it again:

You see what's happening there? The entire circulation is changed. The upward and downward branches of the circulation are switched!! The West Pacific cedes its dominant, uplift status to the East Pacific. That uplift branch then juices the poo poo out of the jet stream above it, which highly impacts North America. It moves the jet south, juices it up, and we get the canonical El Nino event.

The jet stream is strengthened by the area south of it on the equator, this is called the Equatorial Bridge and you can see it in action here:

So in a nutshell, what is happening in an El Nino?

1) The West Pacific warm pool gets incredibly warm due to trade winds operating normally.

2) The system eventually can't sustain its own operations and pressure releases, throwing packets of warm water eastward over time.

3) These packets form a warm pool of water in the East Pacific. If strong enough, this warm water establishes a Feedback Loop wherein more warm water is continually moving east. An El Nino is formed!

4) The atmosphere couples to these water temp changes, changing the circulation to favor convective uplift / enhanced storminess / more energy into the jet stream directly above it, which means the jet stream is boosted right into North America.

5) This persists until, usually, the following spring, where the trades resume and the warm water is again funneled to the West Pacific and the cycle begins again.

This coupling between atmosphere and ocean is integral. El Nino's full name is ENSO: The El Nino Southern Oscillation. The coupling of water and atmosphere to create a complex change to the entire workings of the system, and ultimately having profound effects on the entire world.

Sometimes, just one part of the system tries to couple- maybe one year the warm pool is has a lot of latent energy to move east, but the atmosphere isn't playing ball. Or the atmosphere is trying to move warm water east but the ocean isn't playing ball. ENSO needs a full coupling of both systems, strongly, to really present its "canonical" historic far East Pacific presentation.

Anyways that's it, cheers.

Yep. This region is in MAJOR trouble. El Nino stifles the monsoonal system in India, which is what the region relies on for temperature control and rain. It's scary to think about how this system will look in actual winter when El Nino is in full force. Pakistan looking horrible too.

There is still time for El Nino to collapse though... but I don't personally think it will. We had 3 years of La Nina before this; the pressure to create a strong El Nino is incredibly high.

Like I said before, I am very worried about the next 12 months. A strong El Nino would push forward global warming significantly. I tend to believe that we are underestimating climate change. This is highly speculative but I think we will see intense displacement events, causing worldwide reshuffling of humans, far before people estimate.

I hope I'm wrong. We decided not to have kids for several reasons including the climate; if you do have kids this is extremely important to you, and you should be following these trends VERY closely. Have a rainy day fund if you can. Have a plan; well before people must move northward, enough will that housing and resources in those areas will be increasingly expensive. They will lock the doors and draw up the ladder. Just a question of when. Be safe out there.

I've said this before but America is full of essentially 3rd world people who are one paycheck away from destitution. And I think it's pretty clear that at some point the government is going to treat these people the same way they treat climate refugees from, for example, Central America. It's horrifying but here we are.

That goes doubly for anyone in the "you're hosed" areas like Florida... Texas... the desert SW... basically where everyone is currently immigrating to! That owns! We definitely shouldn't have allowed that! lol

Taima has issued a correction as of 10:34 on May 23, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Not seeing the problem? There's a lovely cool bit there, all those billions can just move to the tibetan plateau where it's nice and chilly

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i was bicycling back home tonight, illuminating the road ahead of me with my cellphone flashlight, and then i had to stop and turn off the flashlight because the trees beside the road were wild with fireflies, more than i have seen in my entire life, flaring on and off all over this patch of trees like sparks from an unseen fire

it was pretty nice

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Well gently caress, that's the best ENSO stuff I've read in years of trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks Tamia!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Gravid Topiary posted:

i was bicycling back home tonight, illuminating the road ahead of me with my cellphone flashlight, and then i had to stop and turn off the flashlight because the trees beside the road were wild with fireflies, more than i have seen in my entire life, flaring on and off all over this patch of trees like sparks from an unseen fire

it was pretty nice

it's always nice to see poo poo like that once in a while

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Taima posted:

This is incredibly unintuitive. I think if you asked a random person if the ocean was higher in some places than others, they would laugh.

I would hope not! *looks pointedly at moon*

Thanks for the great posts, am catching up on them

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
El Niño is when the weather is a boy, and La Niña is when it is a girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
seriously though that was a great read and was super well written, thank you for posting it