Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Try everything you can legally, and uh, maybe don't post about things that could be used against you by ideologically motivated internet trolls.

I really do wish the best of luck for you both.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Russia has banned the South from Russia, leaving a very confused half of congress unable to work

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Does "when she finishes" (her PHD) mean there's no set time limit on finishing, and therefore needing to go back to Russia?

Could she then apply for US citizenship in the meantime, so she can then ignore Russia until a new regime comes in that reverses Putin's insanity, and then consider going back to Russia?

It sounds like it might be a case for asylum, given the possible outcome if she went home.

IANAL

Its pretty much whenever she finishes her degree, she has about a year left. After graduation there is a three year period where she can work in the States before going back, so we have about four years before she has to go back if we don't get a waiver.

A problem is that her current visa is expired and she has to leave the country to renew it, but they aren't giving visas to Russians so there is no guarantee that she would be able to get back. She's still legal to finish her degree and but she cant leave the States or she won't be able to get back in.

Lunitica posted:

If you are a US citizen she needs to apply for her Permanent Residence

Fulbright requirements supersede pretty much anything else. That's why we hired a lawyer and are going for a waiver.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Gejnor posted:

Try everything you can legally, and uh, maybe don't post about things that could be used against you by ideologically motivated internet trolls.

I really do wish the best of luck for you both.

Yeah, your probably right. Editing my post.

Thanks

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/ABeardedPanda/status/1659758027388633096?s=20

This would explain why there are so many pictures of not-Ukraine claiming to be secret NATO bases destroyed by Russian missiles.

:laffo:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1660326383996788736

lmbo

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

South posted:

Fulbright requirements supersede pretty much anything else. That's why we hired a lawyer and are going for a waiver.

Not a lawyer, but if you're married you can get her a green card pretty easily (I'm assuming you're a US citizen) and I'd be very surprised if the Fulbright program had the authority to kick a green card holder out of the US.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Based Dark Brandon :911:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

thekeeshman posted:

Not a lawyer, but if you're married you can get her a green card pretty easily (I'm assuming you're a US citizen) and I'd be very surprised if the Fulbright program had the authority to kick a green card holder out of the US.

"easily" is an extremely relative term here. unlike many other immigration streams which are basically impossible for most people, even those who fit/qualify, it's "possible" to get your spouse a green card, if you can jump through the insane hoops designed to winnow out unfortunates who don't have the exact required paperwork/income/proof of income/etc. it is definitely not easy

here's an example - how's this guy with a russian wife going to provide his wife's russian police record (or written proof from appropriate russian authorities that her record is clean) if she may already be persona non grata in her home country?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As a former Immigration Services Officer I can confirm there was no "is she doing a Fulbright program though" exemption to the normal process of getting your foreign spouse legal residency. gently caress Russia, gently caress Fulbright if they expect you to follow those rules, and gently caress anyone who disagrees

(I even have personal love for Fulbright since my father was a frequent grantee which is why I ended up all over the drat world as a child)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1660273337744982023
Igor is none too pleased at the crowing of Pigozhin and the Vatnik MoD over their pyrrhic victory at Bakhmut.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Concerning.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:shopkeeper:
:fedora:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Concerning.

can jeffery sue the donesk nazis for stealing his grenade logo?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NoiseAnnoys posted:

can jeffery sue the donesk nazis for stealing his grenade logo?

I don't think you can sue yourself

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

zone posted:

Igor is none too pleased at the crowing of Pigozhin and the Vatnik MoD over their pyrrhic victory at Bakhmut.

Well it is a little silly.

24 February 2022: The 3 day conquest of Ukraine has begun. Our parade uniforms are packed and riot police have been dispatched to secure order in Kyiv and Kharkiv.
20 May 2023: After a year long effort we have conquered the bombed out remains of the 53rd largest city in Ukraine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

"easily" is an extremely relative term here. unlike many other immigration streams which are basically impossible for most people, even those who fit/qualify, it's "possible" to get your spouse a green card, if you can jump through the insane hoops designed to winnow out unfortunates who don't have the exact required paperwork/income/proof of income/etc. it is definitely not easy

here's an example - how's this guy with a russian wife going to provide his wife's russian police record (or written proof from appropriate russian authorities that her record is clean) if she may already be persona non grata in her home country?

Russian citizens in the US can get their MVD records from the embassy/consulate. Even in the event she’s been charged from overseas (unlikely) they’ll still give the record. We finished our paperwork poo poo like a month before the war thank Orthodox god. I would highly recommend exhausting every avenue to get the green card within the US.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Owling Howl posted:

Well it is a little silly.

24 February 2022: The 3 day conquest of Ukraine has begun. Our parade uniforms are packed and riot police have been dispatched to secure order in Kyiv and Kharkiv.
20 May 2023: After a year long effort we have conquered the bombed out remains of the 53rd largest city in Ukraine.

*the taking of which resulted in casualty numbers that far exceeded the original population of the city

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This just in all the patriot batteries were captured in bakhmut. Russia victorious

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Concerning.

https://i.imgur.com/oW6qFBk.mp4

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would highly recommend exhausting every avenue to get the green card within the US.
Consider reaching out to your representatives, too. Some might lean on the relevant stakeholders if it offers a campaign talking point about standing against Putin's autocracy.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I actually went through this process, my wife sponsored me. I don't recall having to get my criminal record from my country of origin, and the income requirements for the sponsor aren't that high. The biggest hoop to jump through is proving that it's a genuine relationship, but in my case we had proof we'd been together for a long time, literally printed out all the pictures of us together off facebook and brought them to the interview in a big binder. I don't know who you've talked to about this process but it's not that bad if you aren't throwing up any red flags that would make the USCIS officer suspicious.

OP I would recommend getting an immigration lawyer if you can swing it, it was a few thousand bucks but she helped us get all the paperwork in order and went with us to the interview, and I think her presence helped us. Getting your wife a green card is going to solve a lot of problems.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Consider reaching out to your representatives, too. Some might lean on the relevant stakeholders if it offers a campaign talking point about standing against Putin's autocracy.

the host university too, they can sometimes also intercede and lean on relevant authorities, iirc.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Zelensky for some reason was too afraid to meet face to face with Lula

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bakhmut is still contested, right? It's just that the city proper doesn't have Ukrainean boots on the ground, correct?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Haystack posted:

Bakhmut is still contested, right? It's just that the city proper doesn't have Ukrainean boots on the ground, correct?

Best case, Ukraine hold on a tiny strip at the southwestern edge. Whether you think that's significant is up to you. Calling it contested feels like a stretch.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Haystack posted:

sorta, I think all the Ukrainian forces inside the city have been evacuated and the bombed out rubble pile that used to be Bakhmut is now in Russian hands. Prigozhin has said he intends to pull Wagner forces back to recover on the 25th, but who knows. Fighting is continuing around the city, where Ukrainians are sort of moving towards encircling it (but that's still a very long way off, if they even intend to). I guess it depends how you define 'contested'.

Negostrike posted:

Zelensky for some reason was too afraid to meet face to face with Lula

I think it's more like "you've signaled disinterest in supporting me and don't send any aid, so I'm not bumping your numbers by appearing with you", cf Zelensky's willingness to appear with Boris Johnson despite Boris being a nightmare clown because the UK does send aid and Zelensky wants it to keep going.

but yeah maybe the "I need ammunition, not a ride" guy who stayed in his capital and routinely visits the front line despite numerous assassination attempts is too afraid of a politician from the other side of the world to meet with them. who can say

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It's for the best anyway. The global south can't and shouldn't send any material support for a war that isn't theirs

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Negostrike posted:

It's for the best anyway. The global south can't and shouldn't send any material support for a war that isn't theirs

It's not about material support (though I think they also did refuse to sell any ammo?) but Lula had some terrible takes on the conflict. I don't know if it'd be worth the attempt to convince him to be less dumb.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Actually they and any other self respecting country absolutely should send materiel aid if they can afford to or don’t need it because Russia is 100% wrong and illegal and a line should be drawn by the rest of the world since their occupation is criminal and should be stopped with force if they won’t stop it themselves, thanks for the post though

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Zelensky did say he wanted to talk with the guy and the Brazilian delegation offered a couple schedules, but he did a no-show anyway. That was Zelensky's chance to show he's no butthurt soury puss and Lula's chance he's serious about helping in the peace negotiations. Lula should just abandon the idea though, not worth it, considering Brazil's more urgent needs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Negostrike posted:

Good point. The Global South certainly has no experience with being victims of imperialism and shouldn't have the slightest care if it happens elsewhere.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1660349857888976897

We stand alone

Well technically NK, Belarus, Syria and Eritrea stand with you...There's something these countries all have in common...

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Toxic Mental posted:

Actually they and any other self respecting country absolutely should send materiel aid if they can afford to or don’t need it because Russia is 100% wrong and illegal and a line should be drawn by the rest of the world since their occupation is criminal and should be stopped with force if they won’t stop it themselves, thanks for the post though

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The good old [country] are "suckers" paying a VAST of money money going to Ukraine, instead of fixing things at home. VERY UNFAIR!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, he's totally gonna get support by snobbing the global south like that, good job. :thumbsup:

quote:

When asked by the journalist whether Zelenskyy was disappointed that he had not met with his Brazilian counterpart, he replied: "I think this disappoints him", smiling.

Please, Zelenskyy, let's be less of a media clown and be more serious about ending this war, shall we? Enjoy your Vipers at least :shrug:

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

lol, better not cross the global south, bud. That's negostrike's turf.

not taking south America seriously? Bad look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
You are obsessed with Brazil, and should post in a thread about Brazil, and not here. Thanks.