Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There's also stuff like beaming back Picard from space when he beamed himself out as pure energy using the pattern buffer to put him back into his body or Kirk being split into his Good and Evil selves but trying to explain it all with :techno: lies madness.

Yup, that's why whenever I post about the whole teleporter/replicator stuff I sprinkle "Please ignore all the times on screen this is wrong" throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Much like the holodeck, everything about the transporter is a lie, starfleet engineering is just trying to keep up the charade that they have no idea what's going on inside.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: Since this has happened onscreen only twice, 99.999999...% out of times you end with a fine person mist or decaying quantum particles somewhere between the point of origin and target. Its regular enough for Starfleet to have a procedure in case it happens. Because of course they do, they are very organized.
I count three times. Evil (not mirror) Kirk, Tom Riker, and Boimler 2.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I count three times. Evil (not mirror) Kirk, Tom Riker, and Boimler 2.

Well, a nitpick would say that Evil Kirk is different case because the clones weren't identical.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SNW should explain, at length, exactly how the replicator and transporters work.

And then the next episode, they should to it again, but give a different, equally elaborate, explanation.

And then a third time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A Star Trek show where Colm Meany sits down and calmly explains the workings of various Treknology in the most technical detail imaginable.

Not O'Brien, just Colm Meany.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

worf does mention him (specifically, the clone) a couple times in DS9. i think some other klingons do too but i'm not sure, but either way yeah he doesn't actually show up

I may have read more into it than intended, but I remember it being implied that they essentially just stuck him on a throne and then just kept the exact same political system only with Kaahless* as a symbolic figurehead who is obviously the head of the empire as long as he doesn't actually do anything. I guess it's like the British monarchy, except newly instituted. But also an empire in decay.
It helps that that explanation lets the Klingon empire keep being the same without outright contradicting, walking back or ignoring that episode.

*I'm gonna go ahead and use old Star Wars EU clone naming conventions because they're hilarious

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Don’t they imply Kahless is leading a couple unseen battles during the Dominion War as well? Or am I thinking of EU novel poo poo?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Knormal posted:

Somehow I have ended up with a bunch of old Star Trek commercials in my Youtube recommendations.

This one goes hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l96aDWIbn48
And this one is ridiculously well done, but apparently never aired in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBTDlvShYg

IDK what is going on in that Cheer commercial.

But that set in the KFC one is pretty well done for what seems like a recreation in 1995? I wonder what kind of deal they had to strike to do this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don’t they imply Kahless is leading a couple unseen battles during the Dominion War as well? Or am I thinking of EU novel poo poo?
If nothing else, things were pretty bad and having Kahless and his Right Hand, General Somebody, at the head of a fleet would be a morale booster. (Even if Kahless himself just gives speeches.)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Although George Takei wishes he was built like that, jeez Sulu
I think the Sulu's by far the weakest. Everyone else is a pretty dang good lookalike, then Sulu's just some Asian guy in a wig.

Besides no one's ever going to beat the guy SNL used for Sulu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPgavT5am4

CainFortea posted:

Yup, that's why whenever I post about the whole teleporter/replicator stuff I sprinkle "Please ignore all the times on screen this is wrong" throughout.
Whenever you see them use the transporter or replicator, a space wizard did it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Knormal posted:

How in the world have I never seen this? :lol:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Knormal posted:

I think the Sulu's by far the weakest. Everyone else is a pretty dang good lookalike, then Sulu's just some Asian guy in a wig.

Whenever you see them use the transporter or replicator, a space wizard did it.
If the comments are correct, the guy who plays Sulu also played Sulu when John Belushi was on the show and they did a Trek parody then

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

If the comments are correct, the guy who plays Sulu also played Sulu when John Belushi was on the show and they did a Trek parody then

Yeah, he's just some staff dude who's worked at SNL forever but he was the only Asian guy around when they did their first Trek parody. Then it became a running joke to have him be Sulu in every one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Watching Voyager S6E1 to keep pace with Greatest Gen and OHHHH this is what everybody's talking about with Psycho Janeway

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Janeway gets more and more unhinged past the end of S5.

Image being on that loving show for 5 seasons and seeing DS9 end and like all of those actors have like great characters and growth and poo poo and the only thing new about your entire character over the last 6 years is that your hair changed.

Then again she didn’t have to sit through whatever the gently caress they put on makeup wise for Neelix every day of his shoot just for his character to get more and more forgettable.

Or literally sewn into her costume like Jeri Ryan.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Forgettable is a pretty good upgrade for Neelix though

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BonHair posted:

Forgettable is a pretty good upgrade for Neelix though

That episode where he comes face to face with his own mortality and becomes convinved that there's no afterlife was pretty cool. And not just because Neelix suffered, it was a genuinely uplifting ending.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I'm watching the Pegasus right now and am failing to see where all of ENT goes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BonHair posted:

I may have read more into it than intended, but I remember it being implied that they essentially just stuck him on a throne and then just kept the exact same political system only with Kaahless* as a symbolic figurehead who is obviously the head of the empire as long as he doesn't actually do anything. I guess it's like the British monarchy, except newly instituted. But also an empire in decay.
It helps that that explanation lets the Klingon empire keep being the same without outright contradicting, walking back or ignoring that episode.

*I'm gonna go ahead and use old Star Wars EU clone naming conventions because they're hilarious

yep, that was pretty much the intention. in TNG the equivalent of klingon religious fundamentalists basically forced the change by cloning kahless and programming the clone with "memories" from klingon lore, and they wanted him to replace gowron because they were sick of political bullshit

per memory alpha though the bits in DS9 i was thinking of were in "the way of the warrior" and "the sword of kahless". in the first instance he had condemned the cardassian invasion but was basically revealed to be powerless when he failed to stop it, and in the second kor mentioned specifically that he was "toothless" and refused to give him the sword (which arguably should have belonged to him)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

When Worf suggested that Kahless should be Emperor, he also mentioned that he should be the spiritual leader of the Empire. So he's also the Klingon equivalent of the Pope but has less power.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Boxturret posted:

I'm watching the Pegasus right now and am failing to see where all of ENT goes.

It is sort of amusing to watch tense episodes of Trek and imagine that every character is somehow taking in hours of holodeck media in the gaps, to work through moral dilemmas. Like that person you know who is always incredibly busy yet somehow binges hours of television.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The ENT finale just straight up doesn't work with the episode, in ENT he claims that the simulation helped him decide what to do and that he's gonna come clean to Picard, but in Pegasus that doesn't happen until he and Pressman are over on the Pegasus wreck and they find the cloak intact.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

maybe it was thomas riker simulating the pegasus simulating enterprise

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or maybe he walked off the holodeck and immediately had to go over to pegasus and didn't have time.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Darn, if only he had watched one less episode he would have had time to talk to Picard.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

"On reflection I don't think the one where Archer's dog peed on an important object and Archer had to do chainsawing with his shirt off to fix things was relavent to my problems..."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Personally, I feel like I got everything I needed by 'Terra Prime'. Made for a perfect finale; 'These are the Voyages' was superfluous at best, and actively detrimental to the overall tone of the series at worst."

"Will, these counseling sessions have become tedious for me."

"Starfleet requires them, Deanna"

"I'm not debating that."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

When Worf suggested that Kahless should be Emperor, he also mentioned that he should be the spiritual leader of the Empire. So he's also the Klingon equivalent of the Pope but has less power.

Given the feudal nature of the Klingon Empire, probably the closest equivalent is the pre-Meiji Japanese emperors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Or maybe he walked off the holodeck and immediately had to go over to pegasus and didn't have time.

He explicitly talks on the Pegasus about how the moment of actually finding the cloak is what forced him to make the choice.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Brawnfire posted:

"Personally, I feel like I got everything I needed by 'Terra Prime'. Made for a perfect finale; 'These are the Voyages' was superfluous at best, and actively detrimental to the overall tone of the series at worst."

"Will, these counseling sessions have become tedious for me."

"Starfleet requires them, Deanna"

"I'm not debating that."

"Also, the way Trip Tucker died was bullshit."

"Everyone knows that's not how he actually died, Will."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like the implication in lower decks that not only does he watch Enterprise regularly on the holodeck, he watches the opening with the music.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Those vocals are, in fact, Riker singing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sash! posted:

Those vocals are, in fact, Riker singing

No one’s going to bend or break him (due to Jonathan Frakes’ pre-existing back injury)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He recorded that song in only two takes.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Much like the Federation and root beer, the ENT theme is cloying and insidious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Angry Salami posted:

Given the feudal nature of the Klingon Empire, probably the closest equivalent is the pre-Meiji Japanese emperors.

Yeah, Worf basically tells Gowron to make Kahless the Klingon version of the King of England.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Thanks to ever insane Trek nerd Bernd, I was able to finally have an answer for the weird diagonal struts in Star Trek II’s torpedo room: it’s actually the Klingon bridge from TMP.

Not that it was a huge nagging question, but it’s something odd that I always noticed but then immediately forgot about.

Not as laff and glaringly obvious as in ST VI just reusing the conference room, ten-forward, or the engineering from TNG though. At least they added a cool light fixture for the conference room and threw up a curtain and piano for ten-forward. I think they only changed the LCARS screens for engineering and nothing else!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Reviews for the Star Trek: Resurgence video game are out and they are very much not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The reviews I'm seeing are that it's mediocre as a game but decent as a Star Trek story.