Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the point is there's not a ton of "build-defining" raid weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Pirate Jet posted:

Still lol sometimes at the way they dedicated an entire season to making sure nobody would ever ask when factions are coming back again

This was always really funny to me. The faction stuff was, at its best, just another vendor to grind for. It was never what I'd call good. Why did reddit want it back so bad

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
lmao that people are asking for raid weapons and perks without having to do the activity. also lmao that people have a problem with giving raid guns perks first or that raid guns have cool, unique rolls. Raids and GM's are the premier end game activity for PVE, they should have cool things to incentivize players.

Sestze posted:

DSC Chest: Must have completed at least one (1) encounter to get any of the items unlocked to come from the chest. Otherwise you get nothing.
Vow Chest: Same. Requires at least a small chunk of combat to be completed solo.
Last Wish Chest: Requires you to know how to platform/skate backwards from a checkpoint that you snag via the wishwall.

Twitch Bounty is Twitch Bounty, integration with Amazon and Twitch has always been really awkward and hamfisted, but it's to encourage people to stream or watch trials.
You still need to participate to get pity xp for loss engrams. Do poorly enough in Trials and a loss will not count at all, as it assumes you're full AFK.

None of the above are adept versions of the weapons, either, unless I missed something.

All of these things require a fair bit more effort than "be in a clan with people who do activities you don't like and sponge off of their completions via Hawthorne."

lmao that omg i have to do small amount of combat or engage in activity to get rewards is a thing? what are we even after here? Let me log in, give me free cool, new loot I don't even want to play the game? no, thanks i don't want to engage in any content. If i do, i want to wear and use anything i want because i don't want to try new things, and i only want to do easy, quick activities, so please just uhm postmaster me all the new loot thnx.

oh I have to spend 5 mins linking twitch accounts? What is the end space of this argument? Let players roll 1600 vanguard ops for the newest stuff they don't need and won't equip? That's bullshit tbh and it removes a significant incentive for engaging with the game in depth or doing any content at all. Playing the game is a fundamental concept here.

The only place any of this matters is the extreme end game of the PVE world in GM's and Master Raids and even there its....helpful but not a requirement. There are very few spaces in Destiny where you have to be so particular to build a certain way and stay in your ability loops to survive.

Also adept guns are like barely better than crafted all you get is Adept Big Ones in PVE. Are we asking for adept weapons out of every day content? There's already no reason to do Master Raids outside grabbing the title, we do that poo poo for love of the game.

syntaxfunction posted:

I think people overvalue the benefits of end game weapons. It's like an instrument. Yeah, if you're an expert the differences in performance will be noticeable and appreciable, but if you're an amateur or just a normal player then you probably won't see any real benefit.

People don't need a god roll Rufus over a crafted Perpetualis any more than the average guitar player needs a $5000 guitar over the nice one they already have.

I agree with this 100%, why are people who don't raid and engage with Destiny in the shallowest way possible complaining about game spaces they don't even interact with? Destiny just gave us add clear the raid, a full LFG run averages an hour and 24mins. You can use anything you want in that raid, it doesn't even matter and get a red box a week and have your auto-rifle or whatever in literally 5 clears. If someone's that thirsty for it maybe uh, you know watch a video and play the game?

It's like listening to t-ball kids ask for $500 bats but never walk to the plate

Shockeh posted:

Depends what you mean by 'break' then, doesn't it.

If it results in substantially lower performance to the point you can argue whether it's 'working', then yeah. Fine, just take Red War grey weapons in, they 'work' right?

it's not substantially lower performance and even if it is, outside of a few very specific spaces, it literally doesn't matter. because you can clear 99% of the content with whatever semi-modern guns you want and I'd argue anything at 1600 could be done with grey/green guns and be fine.

This is also a pretty lovely comparison because there are a ton of guns in the game you can use, and they even specifically provided an easier to obtain strand auto-rifle to allow people to engage with the cool new strand stuff. they just put a slightly better on in the raid. which is great! i thought that was excellent loot distribution.

Even if it is substantially lower performance.....go do the raid? for the gun? play the game, to get the things. Destiny is like a looter-shooter so simply shoot and loot things. If you don't want the challenge and just want to shoot mans literally 90% of the game is designed for you to do that in and you will face 0 consequences or stress in your life apart from not having a gun you don't need and don't want enough to engage with content to get.

I am an end-game player and I don't have immortal...because uhm I have like that other strand SMG? that's a strand type weapon and like....its fine and work with my strand builds and gets the surges boosts and such and I don't really enjoy trials and i'm totally cool with it. If I wanted to get it, i'd do the twitch thing but I can't be bothered so I'll just continue to have fun playing Destiny without that gun. I did used to jump off cliffs in Trials for that stupid stasis LFR though.

Oxyclean posted:

I think the point is there's not a ton of "build-defining" raid weapons.

The literal only one I can think of is collective obligation, which like still, if people want it...go get it off a boss check point. Rhulk is easy as gently caress, watch a video, engage with content. There is a very easy-going and welcoming discord community a click away full of goons who will dumpster whatever content someone would be concerned about. Even than, you can run a real good gyrfalcons hunter without it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
It's a game about collecting all the guns, people want all the guns. Some people can't/won't do high level activities and I see nothing objectionable to giving people one drop a week. Especially given the dire state of lfg/new player experience. People are running it for 18 drops a week!

Imo that taste may make people want to try these activities more. I think the beginner raid taste like preservation/seraph station should give one drop.

Currently the only "build defining" raid drop this season is Commemoration, with Bricks from Beyond and Volatile Flow on the artifact. The raid exotics Collective Obligation and Conditional Finality are also somewhat build defining. CF in particular is so well designed and fun I wish everyone had easy access to get it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I think Preservation was a great idea and they should roll a similar deal out for every Raid after the day 1. Giving a raid drop at the end would be a great way to reward engaging with the content.

They should have kept that gardens MG mission and made it a pinny

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

LFGs just don't cut it, and being an adult human being it is very difficult to schedule a 2 hour block of my day to watch pubbies stare at the first ball.

Goddamn I do want the Rufus. That comment previously comparing it to a Perpetualis was right on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waroduce posted:

The literal only one I can think of is collective obligation, which like still, if people want it...go get it off a boss check point. Rhulk is easy as gently caress, watch a video, engage with content. There is a very easy-going and welcoming discord community a click away full of goons who will dumpster whatever content someone would be concerned about. Even than, you can run a real good gyrfalcons hunter without it.
I am incredibly empathetic towards people intimated towards the raid/manual group barrier, and it can feel real bad having a ton of cool and unique guns behind this barrier, and you wonder why it can't be done better.

A year ago I had maybe...5 raids under my belt? And most of those were a friend literally dragging me into a raid when it was fairly fresh. Now I've collected all the patterns and exotics, and probably could sherpa any raid. I never thought I'd be here.

I cannot echo the above sentiment enough - the Overchill discord completely redefined/reignited how I have fun with this game.

magiccarpet posted:

LFGs just don't cut it, and being an adult human being it is very difficult to schedule a 2 hour block of my day to watch pubbies stare at the first ball.

Goddamn I do want the Rufus. That comment previously comparing it to a Perpetualis was right on.
You don't have to worry about LFG or pubbies if you group with goons, and the discord offers the ability to schedule a raid for a time that works for you. If you legitimately can't find 2 consecutive hours some time in the week on an evening or weekend, I dunno what to say, and it's almost tough not to be a little critical about how much you even are going to get use out of raid guns. Like are you just playing in multiple 20 minute increments?

That all said, I don't think it'd be the worst thing to have a trickle of raid drops outside of raids, but it's one of those things they very much want you to climb that barrier so you find out what you're missing out on.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Sestze posted:

Platforming or Skating, one of the two. Movement exotic, heat rises, strand, OOB if you don't own the raid, whatever. There's still a knowledge check and some gameplay required rather than "be in clan, talk to hawthorne by the end of the week"

"Watch a 90-second youtube video" is a knowledge check now? You're being an incredible baby.

It does not require skating, full stop. Again, I farmed the chest on all three characters for a year, I'm quite familiar with what's involved. Also, "OOB if you don't own the raid?"

PERMACAV 50 posted:

At this point you’re complaining about having to play the game to get loot.

eta: filing this one away, thanks

Waroduce posted:

It's like listening to t-ball kids ask for $500 bats but never walk to the plate

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 21, 2023

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Waroduce posted:

They should have kept that gardens MG mission and made it a pinny

Not to dunk on you since this was an extremely bad design choice, but the mission is still available. There’s a flag for it in the middle of the ground level of Nimbus’s zone (you know, the part where you literally never go). I just logged in to check and it is still there for the character I completed that mission with. You're right that it should be a pinnacle though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like the idea of a raid environment preview but preservation ain’t it, 45 minutes of shooting scorn and collecting knowledge for a pinnacle sucked. Some mechanics just don’t scale from 6 players down to 1

The D1 missions that took you into the Vault and Crota’s throne world were neat

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Preservation was buns but they could've salvaged it by having the Carts be like... way way shorter. like three stops with three knowledge spikes each or something. It was just brutal having to spend so much time doing that bit

Last season's outer space mission was the closest we've ever come to having a Raid: Casual Mode since it was practically DSC sans mechanics

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Environment preview? That's nice, but what the end game actually needs is a mechanics preview. Operation: Seraph's Shield was exactly that, and if it released alongside DSC (obviously the storyline would have to have been different) I'd actually praise Bungie for having good design. Preservation should have had an introduction to Vow symbols instead of just being TF2 payload map, and RoN should have had a mission introducing the seed mechanics.

People aren't avoiding endgame stuff like raids because they can scam a free legendary weapon once a week. They avoid it because they're intimidated by having to master entirely novel mechanics under the social pressure of trying not to annoy the other 5 nerds on the fire team. And getting actual pressure free gameplay experience with those mechanics is a thousand times more fun than having to watch a professional content creator's lovely 30 minute youtube tutorial.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lmfao the game actually loads you into 3v6 in PvP

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Sestze posted:

Platforming or Skating, one of the two. Movement exotic, heat rises, strand, OOB if you don't own the raid, whatever. There's still a knowledge check and some gameplay required rather than "be in clan, talk to hawthorne by the end of the week"

As someone who only plays a hunter, I’m able to get to the chest without any of the things you mentioned.

Have you maybe tried, getting good?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the things I do for my pinnies...

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

ponzicar posted:

Preservation should have had an introduction to Vow symbols instead of just being TF2 payload map

You literally walk through the symbol preview room on the way to the last area.

eta: it also shows symbols to tell you which room to go to next when you're in the Acquisition area, which is almost exactly how the encounter works in the raid. Do some of you play this game blindfolded?

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 21, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

I like the idea of a raid environment preview but preservation ain’t it, 45 minutes of shooting scorn and collecting knowledge for a pinnacle sucked. Some mechanics just don’t scale from 6 players down to 1

The D1 missions that took you into the Vault and Crota’s throne world were neat

Yeah, Vow's opening is already a little obnoxious with 6 people, doing it with 1 person is rrrrrrrough. Seraph's Shield on the other hand, while much, much longer, was a fun romp. I would be a lot more into Nord Avalon if they friggin' slimmed it back on the puzzle a bit.

I wish so, so badly that Nord Avalon was just an absolutely insane marathon Vex fight with minimal puzzle solving. That area after the first puzzle where it just pours dozens of Vex on you is so fun but it's over so quickly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

frajaq posted:

Whenever you need to grind Crucible for anything, just do Rumble. It goes so much faster and, I didn't know this until last week, it loving dumps gobs of reputation on you as long as you're finishing top 3. I was getting like 300 a match for second place, it's bananas.

Unless this is for the Supremacy pinnacle (which for some reason only showed up for me the first week? was that like a one time thing?), in which case, disregard.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

frajaq posted:

frajaq posted:

lmfao the game actually loads you into 3v6 in PvP

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?s=20

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PERMACAV 50 posted:

ponzicar posted:

Environment preview? That's nice, but what the end game actually needs is a mechanics preview. Operation: Seraph's Shield was exactly that, and if it released alongside DSC (obviously the storyline would have to have been different) I'd actually praise Bungie for having good design. Preservation should have had an introduction to Vow symbols instead of just being TF2 payload map, and RoN should have had a mission introducing the seed mechanics.

People aren't avoiding endgame stuff like raids because they can scam a free legendary weapon once a week. They avoid it because they're intimidated by having to master entirely novel mechanics under the social pressure of trying not to annoy the other 5 nerds on the fire team. And getting actual pressure free gameplay experience with those mechanics is a thousand times more fun than having to watch a professional content creator's lovely 30 minute youtube tutorial.

TBF, I am very sympathetic to the mechanics are intimidating for new players thing and I think Bungie has totally missed the on-boarding mark with making RoN as add clear-y as it is. A DSC Style one by one introduction to the various mechanics or layering in something cute like the first room in exhibition where it's a mini-mechanics tutorial would be a welcome addition. I would keep this separate from the Day 1/general raid experience but have it drop after the Day 1 is done or after the first reset after contest mode.

A little 20-30 min activity that takes you through the entrance/opening of the raid would be super cool and shows you some of the basic mechanics of like connecting flowers, light/dark buffs, reading and subsequently inputting symbols, or tethering a-la gardens would be a good stepping stool and throwing 1 raid drop at the end would be a good way to hook players in.

A fix however, is not making this game even easier (and its the easiest its ever been) and letting everyone get all the loot without even playing the game though, so we're stuck at, join the discord, watch a video, ask for help and engage with the content :shrug:

A very smart RL friend of mine started playing and just listening to his questions and trying to help him has really made me appreciate how absolutely dire the new player experience is and how much Destiny doesn't tell you about how poo poo works. The first time he's seen any of these mechanics are in the raid which is kinda rough for him. He's also mentioned he's tried to learn mechanics in strikes to figure out how the game works but everyone just blows through them and he doesn't get a chance. He's hit on nightfalls as fun mixes of difficulty and combat but there's just not alot of good like handheld/guided mechanical onboarding in the game.

They should really come up with some solution thats like ok, slot in a siphon, slot in a grenade mod, kill something to make an orb! ok now reach X power and 80 resilience or something. Btw here are champions! interact with your seasonal artifact.

I am going to be low key amused at the gnashing of teeth that a refreshed last wish causes if many players only experience is RoN.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Not to dunk on you since this was an extremely bad design choice, but the mission is still available. There’s a flag for it in the middle of the ground level of Nimbus’s zone (you know, the part where you literally never go). I just logged in to check and it is still there for the character I completed that mission with. You're right that it should be a pinnacle though.

Oh I really enjoyed this, this is super cool to know.

I really wish bungie slots all these little one off exotic/3 mans into a rotator for a pinnacle a week. Bring back all the things! and make the 6 man splicer override activity a master pinnacle too!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would like a montage of players who talked about how glad they were that they could turn their brains off in a raid for RoN having to do Vault in Last Wish.

Waroduce posted:

I really wish bungie slots all these little one off exotic/3 mans into a rotator for a pinnacle a week. Bring back all the things! and make the 6 man splicer override activity a master pinnacle too!

I think that's coming next week?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Exotic Rotator starts in season 22 with Presage, Vox Obscura, and Seraph Shield

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

probably the 4th time I've posted this, but still sad it's not coming with Zero Hour or The Whisper.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Just lmao at bitching about the free-est loot chest to ever exist in this game's entire lifetime, D1 included.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

PERMACAV 50 posted:

eta: it also shows symbols to tell you which room to go to next when you're in the Acquisition area, which is almost exactly how the encounter works in the raid. Do some of you play this game blindfolded?

It seems like a tutorial if you already know how the raid works, but the whole thing is easily completed by just wandering around and shooting dudes until the door opens.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Penumbra is Left!!!!1111!

🧠

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

ponzicar posted:

It seems like a tutorial if you already know how the raid works, but the whole thing is easily completed by just wandering around and shooting dudes until the door opens.

I did Preservation before I did the raid and it was in fact a decent intro to familiarizing oneself with the symbols and the layout of Acquisition. Sorry it doesn’t directly upload it to your brain like the loving Matrix?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

shut up and take my money

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Panderfringe posted:

This was always really funny to me. The faction stuff was, at its best, just another vendor to grind for. It was never what I'd call good. Why did reddit want it back so bad

shaders and ornaments

the faction rally ornaments are so much loving cooler than the base armor that it's not even funny

e: look at these things, they've got neat patterns and all that jazz!!! lots of it can't be recolored which sucks rocks, but that also gives some cool opportunities if you know what you're about

Kith fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 21, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The shaders were also really good, New Monarchy had a dead-on Iron Man shader and FWC makes you look like a plastic action figure. Dead Orbit had the grey-and-black shaders for space goths or people who thought it hurt enemy vision in crucible

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Remember when lost sectors got all hosed up with the Faction modifiers?
Wild times, I'm surprised they didn't bring that poo poo back and integrate it into LLS

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Kith posted:

shaders and ornaments

the faction rally ornaments are so much loving cooler than the base armor that it's not even funny

e: look at these things, they've got neat patterns and all that jazz!!! lots of it can't be recolored which sucks rocks, but that also gives some cool opportunities if you know what you're about

Holy smokes these look sick.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i would actually commit crimes to obtain this thing for myself

i love the base helmet but hate the little doodad on the side, and this gets rid of it!!!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

magiccarpet posted:

I've got complete or near-complete (still need 3 of the LFR from RoN but I don't really care about that one and have a god roll anyway) sets of crafted weapons for raids with those enabled + all raid exotics for all raids; around 98% of those runs were LFG. It's nowhere near that dire.

haveblue posted:

I like the idea of a raid environment preview but preservation ain’t it, 45 minutes of shooting scorn and collecting knowledge for a pinnacle sucked.
Preservation takes 15 minutes solo, maybe 20 at the outside.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s still way too long especially since collecting knowledge crystals in the swamp makes up the bulk of it

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Preservation was buns but they could've salvaged it by having the Carts be like... way way shorter. like three stops with three knowledge spikes each or something. It was just brutal having to spend so much time doing that bit

Last season's outer space mission was the closest we've ever come to having a Raid: Casual Mode since it was practically DSC sans mechanics

They could have fixed it by making it a Powerful not a Pinnacle.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Lost sectors should function for 3-mans. I've said this before, but have any given run reward an exotic (or engram as it is now). The better the run (lack of deaths, low time, etc) increases the chance of better stat rolls. This now works as a mini introduction of the style of system for dungeons and raids.

Exotic playlist should work as a great in between for lost sectors and dungeons. Then dungeons are your three persons, raids for six. I would kill for an 8/10/12 mans massive raid that splits the team tho.

Require 8-12 people, split into two groups, where each group needs to do things so the other group can do things for them. Big encounters merge the groups, then split again, repeat til the boss. Kind of like the split in DSC but more so.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

VodeAndreas posted:

They could have fixed it by making it a Powerful not a Pinnacle.

The funny part here was that anyone who raided in year 5 didn't need the preservation pinnacle

Non raiders needed it, so they ended up getting way more sick of Vow than people who actually did vow!

It's nice that we're getting a season off of the pinnacle climb. I imagine we'll get another +10 with reprised Scourge the season after to make it more appealing or whatever

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

PERMACAV 50 posted:

"Watch a 90-second youtube video" is a knowledge check now? You're being an incredible baby.

Chappy posted:

As someone who only plays a hunter, I’m able to get to the chest without any of the things you mentioned.

Have you maybe tried, getting good?
... you guys do realize that I'm agreeing that you need to do the activity to get the loot, right?

I'm saying that it required more than simply being part of a clan that did poo poo and receiving free raid loot for being a warm body in a clan. It's not particularly difficult, and since the loot is from 4.5 years ago, it's not particularly rewarding either.

The thread of conversation started with someone equating needing to do some platforming from a checkpoint to being handed free raid loot by hawthorne a la Year 1 from D2, and the free raid loot was a good thing.

Bungie disagrees, and if Last Wish gets a revamp, I would imagine those chests' functionality will change.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn’t expect Last Wish to get a major revamp, just red borders and perk refreshes and an origin trait like DSC. Vault and KF had to be ported to the D2 environment and sandbox so they may as well throw in some tweaks