Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The units sent to Ukraine might not have that capability installed, for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

FrozenVent posted:

The units sent to Ukraine might not have that capability installed, for various reasons.

I guess, though I suspect it's more a case of "we have not given them access to that stream of data" - if they want to link together the gear they have received using Link-16 (or whatever is modern), that seems comparatively uncontroversial?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Link 16 is NATO not just the US so it should be exportable in this kind of situation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

This is from Kongsberg's sales brochure for NASAMS; cropped down because I'm trying to screenshot a two page pdf spread on a cellphone.

I may be wrong, but that distinctly looks like an E-3 flying above it and linked into the network. Now, NASAMS is not Patriot, but I'd be mildly surprised if it were less capable in this regard.

Of course, "is the US sharing live targeting data" is a very different question than "does the equipment support it".

I have some bad news for you about marketing materials.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Computer viking posted:

This is from Kongsberg's sales brochure for NASAMS; cropped down because I'm trying to screenshot a two page pdf spread on a cellphone.

I may be wrong, but that distinctly looks like an E-3 flying above it and linked into the network. Now, NASAMS is not Patriot, but I'd be mildly surprised if it were less capable in this regard.

Of course, "is the US sharing live targeting data" is a very different question than "does the equipment support it".

I feel like NASAMS wouldn't have the range to make it that useful for Ukraine, but an F16 or a Patriot could deny a sizeable chunk of the Black Sea or possibly Crimea if they get targeting data from elsewhere.

Maybe we need a goon project to crowdfund a fleet of AWACS planes for Ukraine.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s hilarious how quiet the goons working with those systems have gotten in the last page.

Ukraine’s not getting that stuff. Because :nsa:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Link 16 is NATO not just the US so it should be exportable in this kind of situation.

Patriot can’t just guide missiles using E-3 j messages.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Computer viking posted:

It was my understanding that NASAMS was more of a replacement for Hawk than Patriot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FrozenVent posted:

It’s hilarious how quiet the goons working with those systems have gotten in the last page.

Ukraine’s not getting that stuff. Because :nsa:

Hey man we're not the war thunder forums!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey man we're not the war thunder forums!

I'm sure NSA Wizard is relieved with how well we've been behaving lately.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Computer viking posted:

That graphic is not showing an E3 providing a target lock for a NASAMS battery. It is just transmitting a datalink track so the NASAMS can cue their own targeting radar onto the contact and engage it themselves.

Same way that an datalink can show a fighter where an aircraft is, but if they want to shoot an AMRAAM at it they will either need to light it up with its own radar or shoot it from such a close range that it can go pitbull right off the rail.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Storkrasch posted:

Can Ukraine's patriot batteries and future F16s get targeting data from the various NATO AWACS planes flying around Ukraine? I.e. shoot down targets entirely without engaging their own radars?

The best I've got is "you can't do it in DCS or Falcon BMS". I don't know if the AIM-120C even has the capability to use a radar other then that of the firing aircraft.

You could "maddog" a missile at where AWACS says it is - firing without a missile lock hoping that the missile's own radar picks up the target - but that's mostly going to miss, or hit the wrong target since the missile has no IFF.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

kill me now posted:

That graphic is not showing an E3 providing a target lock for a NASAMS battery. It is just transmitting a datalink track so the NASAMS can cue their own targeting radar onto the contact and engage it themselves.

Same way that an datalink can show a fighter where an aircraft is, but if they want to shoot an AMRAAM at it they will either need to light it up with its own radar or shoot it from such a close range that it can go pitbull right off the rail.

Except maybe a flight of F35s.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Going pitbull sounds really cool. How do I go pitbull?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Borscht posted:

Like this i think

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Borscht posted:

First you have to know where you isn't.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

You could "maddog" a missile at where AWACS says it is - firing without a missile lock hoping that the missile's own radar picks up the target - but that's mostly going to miss, or hit the wrong target since the missile has no IFF.

Well that 747 shouldn't have been transiting through the circular track the Backfire's are taking over the Caspian, then, should it?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Borscht posted:

Turn on your monitor radar

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Borscht posted:

Get a bunch of goons to send him to Alaska.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopoulos/pitbull-pays-for-his-tormentor-to-meet-him-in-an-a

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Storkrasch posted:

Can Ukraine's patriot batteries and future F16s get targeting data from the various NATO AWACS planes flying around Ukraine? I.e. shoot down targets entirely without engaging their own radars?

Why would NATO be tracking Nessus's anus??

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

crusty posted:

track em if u got them, gotta track something

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kill me now posted:

mlmp08 posted:

Patriot can’t just guide missiles using E-3 j messages.

Fair enough. I guess we're getting into "the people who know aren't allowed to answer" territory, but it would make sense if Patriot needs the higher precision and timing of its own local radar and/or the seeker in the missile to actually hit the most slippery targets, anyway.

And yes NASAMS is a Hawk replacement, it started life as NOAH, "NOrwegian Advanced Hawk", though there has been a lot of development since then. It's not massively long range.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 22, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Russia: "We must not allow a Pitbull gap"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the video of that owns, like 2/3 of the town turned out for his show and he got probably the warmest welcome there that he's ever gotten anywhere

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you know goons are old

not by their regdate

but by their ability to get 3-4 character twitter handles

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Computer viking posted:

Fair enough. I guess we're getting into "the people who know aren't allowed to answer" territory, but it would make sense if Patriot needs the higher precision and timing of its own local radar and/or the seeker in the missile to actually hit the most slippery targets, anyway.

And yes NASAMS is a Hawk replacement, it started life as NOAH, "NOrwegian Advanced Hawk", though there has been a lot of development since then. It's not massively long range.

Going by the AIM-120 I think it's just more likely that the missiles wouldn't be designed to be controlled by more than one radar. That would be expensive.

I wouldn't think it's necessarily the case of the F-16 or Patriot needing a better radar signal from their own radar (though that's probably part of it), it's more that they can't launch a missile and hand control of it over to someone else because that would be complicated and expensive to do. I think.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
drat they banned beer?

https://twitter.com/marcbennetts1/status/1660584407432921089

putin don't you know what happened the last time russia did this

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hyperlynx posted:

Going by the AIM-120 I think it's just more likely that the missiles wouldn't be designed to be controlled by more than one radar. That would be expensive.

I wouldn't think it's necessarily the case of the F-16 or Patriot needing a better radar signal from their own radar (though that's probably part of it), it's more that they can't launch a missile and hand control of it over to someone else because that would be complicated and expensive to do. I think.

How does this work for the missiles with their own tracking systems (like the AIM-120), anyway? The launcher has to be sending a stream of target data to the missile, and at some point the missile takes over tracking on its own - presumably when it's much closer, given the differences in radar capability. If the launcher is something like an F-35, the targeting data could perhaps be from another F-35, but as long as the plane does the work of integrating the sources the missile should be blissfully unaware. Theoretically that same approach could work for other combinations than F-35 + F-35 (like Patriot+something) , but by now I'm stacking so many presumptions on top of each other it's getting a bit ridiculous. :)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's pretty telling that some people stopped commenting on just that.

:nsa:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where AWACS isn't. By subtracting where it is from where AWACS isn't, or where it isn't from where AWACS is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
So you're saying it's in a well actually?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Belgorod happening to some extent it seems. Russians fighting for Ukraine seem to be causing a ton of mayhem.

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1660620002196684800?t=KBEIO-N2Y0ggxSyubWiNbA&s=19

E: added tweet

InAndOutBrennan fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 22, 2023

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1660623779943284737

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1660624817756729348

I can't imagine this being a large force but that brings up the question where the hell the Russian defenses are.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Lavrov, a long time ago, to the idiot British Minister of Foreign Affairs: "are you suggesting that Russian troops cannot move freely throughout the Belgorod and <some other> regions?"

Ukraine, long after: "actually, quite the opposite"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Public sources say the AIM-120D has internal GPS guidance and the D as well as previous versions have had datalink capabilities so that it can be guided from surrogate platforms to a point where the missile goes active and targets independently. Not all AMRAAMs have this option and I have no idea if NASAMS integrates this capability, but it exists in the AIM-120 platform.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Hyperlynx posted:

The best I've got is "you can't do it in DCS or Falcon BMS". I don't know if the AIM-120C even has the capability to use a radar other then that of the firing aircraft.

It's unlikely. Using third party radar for targeting is the kind of new capability that is being considered for next-gen systems, and the few missiles that can do it (for example, SM-6) get heavily marketed for it, as are planes with radars that have the capability of guiding in weapons from different platforms. (F-35)

I don't think most of the current stuff can do it, because if they could, their vendors would be marketing that capability. The idea clearly isn't too :nsa: because Raytheon is screaming from the rooftops that the SM-6 can do it.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I can't imagine this being a large force but that brings up the question where the hell the Russian defenses are.

They are in Ukraine. Russia has almost entirely denuded everything else and moved their professional soldiers into Ukraine. The long land border between northern Ukraine and Russia is defended basically by cops and the idea that surely Ukraine wouldn't attack actual Russian soil.

I'm about 100% certain that the purpose of this attack is to try to force Russia to move troops to man the border, and thus thinning out the actual line where Ukraine wants to attack later.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

crusty posted:

Concerning

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the video of that owns, like 2/3 of the town turned out for his show and he got probably the warmest welcome there that he's ever gotten anywhere

Oh yeah it was fun to read about how Pitbull paid for Thorpe to also go and was nice to him, and that Pitbull made an effort to be cool about the whole thing. https://www.somethingawful.com/twitter-tuesday/thorpe-meets-pitbull/1/

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
lol, and I cannot stress enough, lmao if this is how they're saying that

https://twitter.com/hardcastIe/status/1660656736867426315

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

lol, and I cannot stress enough, lmao if this is how they're saying that

https://twitter.com/hardcastIe/status/1660656736867426315

They really are lucky that Russia is so dumb.