Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Xaris posted:

ur getting ripped off on the hidden menu "white people pricing" or something cuz i literally just ate tacos tonight in computer touching capital of the world and tacos are still "only" $3.7

which is still a lot but oh well.

is that with or without tips

because seems like the whole tipping system is rigged to shaft both the customers and workers while the hidden inflated cost of tipping just skips everyone's mind when they look at the menu prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

coke posted:

is that with or without tips

because seems like the whole tipping system is rigged to shaft both the customers and workers while the hidden inflated cost of tipping just skips everyone's mind when they look at the menu prices
without. I usually throw down an extra 10% for take-out/food truck

but yes certainly with dinner-for-two prices going from <$40 to $70+, there's another built-in tax and tip multipler that means out-the-door going from $52 to more like $90 which is vastly more expensive.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

PoundSand posted:

my wife pointed it out when she came back from visiting her family but now I can’t help but notice how “porky” stuff like pork chops smells. I feel like I don’t remember it having that odor or taste, like there’s the joke it’s the “other white meat” cause it’s kinda bland/just takes on whatever it’s seasoned with but whenever I open a package it’s not like it smells off per se, I’ll still eat it, but there’s a unique aroma.

sounds like you’ve got stank rear end boar taint on your hands

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

trevorreznik posted:

Neighbor told me a local place that reopened/reconcepted to be more upscale had a $17 hot dog. He asked if it was a big portion and was told it was "medium sized". This is just in a suburban town in Illinois! What the heck!

artisanal $17 hot dog

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I've seen that kind of thing, put kids food on the adult menu. Blackened Cod? Grilled lamb? Couscous?! No I only want to eat a hot dog or chicken tenders. no salad. french fries.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

palindrome posted:

I've seen that kind of thing, put kids food on the adult menu. Blackened Cod? Grilled lamb? Couscous?! No I only want to eat a hot dog or chicken tenders. no salad. french fries.
reminds me of my favorite goon post of all time

quote:

Is this really a thing? People forcing themselves to eat food they hate just because they are adults and feel that "adults should eat foods they hate"? Because honestly that seems pretty ridiculous to me. If you hate carrots, why eat them? Why not just get the vitamins you could get from carrots in the form of a pill? Seriously I just find it exceptionally weird that there are people who think that eating certain foods has anything at all to do with being "an adult."

Well, OK, exception: I can eat dark chocolate. Sometimes I'll eat a small piece of dark chocolate after a meal. But milk chocolate is disgusting because it's too sweet. And I definitely cannot drink coffee- it's far too bitter.

I DO like Sprite. Also lemonade, because it seems more sour than sweet. Those two things are the only things I can drink besides water. Mostly I just drink tons of water. And I can't stand tap water, it has to be filtered, or bottled water that has been filtered.

This is a list of pretty much any meal I eat ever:

- Steak and a baked potato with cheese and sour cream
- cheeseburger with ONLY ketchup and mayo and potato chips
- broiled fish (either whitefish or tilapia, no other kind) and clam chowder
- fried chicken and jojos with ranch dressing
- kung pao chicken and steamed white rice
- beef and cheese burrito and tortilla chips and salsa
- spicy chicken sandwich with cheese and mayo on it and potato chips
- hamburger helper (classic) and potato chips
- tuna helper (classic) and potato chips
- buffalo wings and mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce
- cheese ravioli with marinara sauce and garlic bread

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Xaris posted:

quote:

Please seek mental help before you die of scurvy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I forgot about that guy you posted, he's also the soulbonded to asuka guy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

euphronius posted:

you don’t even need soda unlike alcohol

can't remember the last time I had alcohol

thefatladysings
Jul 31, 2022

Zodium posted:

can't remember the last time I had alcohol

You had too much alcohol then

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

a.lo posted:

You won’t stop big beef in this country

Am I hallucinating or did the EU drop most of it's BSE prevention policies recently?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

China bans major chip maker Micron from key infrastructure projects

the poster ITT who predicted this would happen, good job 👏

i guess it’s only a few steps until there is a full ban on foreign chips once china feels self sufficient

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
xi is right. every product made by america is compromised

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there's cringe in the products :negative:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

xi is right. every product made by america is compromised

The stench of IBM.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

The stench of IBM.

the smell of zyklon b

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

90s Solo Cup posted:

Not when you have armed security and cops eyeballing the self-checkout area.

Those guys are there for 8 hours, you think they’re paying close attention to every customer?

If you just want to dip your toes into it, get the organic produce and drop the “9” from the PLU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Xaris posted:

I'd like to congratulate that goon on their early death from colorectal cancer. What a loving goober!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1660608281570689025?s=20

lol

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
I regret to inform you all that the apes have once again, escaped

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1660443101260050434

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1660523097248903174

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
A morning of truths!
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1660610562923872258?t=sbRH_mei4Vsl-zhVUwqduQ&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lmao at Neel saying moral hazard isn't real

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

are apes easy to hack or something, seems a silly store of value if so

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

UKJeff posted:

Those guys are there for 8 hours, you think they’re paying close attention to every customer?

If you just want to dip your toes into it, get the organic produce and drop the “9” from the PLU

They dropped non-organic produce entirely where I used to shop.

Enjoy the Piggly Wiggly model while it lasts.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jel Shaker posted:

him paying that much money for it points to a hidden wash trade, wouldn't surprise me if he'll try to unload or otherwise monetize it later

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

UKJeff posted:

No, not every customer.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

They dropped non-organic produce entirely where I used to shop.

Enjoy the Piggly Wiggly model while it lasts.

That's the future they are hoping for. The whole "organic" fad won and they're going to slap an organic label on everything so they can justify an large price increase on everything

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I loving yearn everyday for a Carrington Event

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

shouting "i'm loving it" at the television that has replaced one wall so i can skip the mcdonald's commercial

I do this whether a McDonald's commercial is on or not

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the skip button is only enabled when we have confirmation that you have recognized the brands in the Ad

Apr 7, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

That's the future they are hoping for. The whole "organic" fad won and they're going to slap an organic label on everything so they can justify an large price increase on everything

I've noticed that pod clothing detergent has been really lovely for like the past year or so, clothes still smell after you get them out, etc. Anyway Tide is now advertising MEGA PODS with MORE DETERGENT so it's pretty clear the game was to make the normal pods lovely on purpose and sell you the original formula at higher prices

https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.970114416.html
https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.970035536.html

Original is 31ct for $11, "MEGA PODS" are 25ct for $16. lol

Apr 7, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

they're for money laundering and they've served their purpose

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've noticed that pod clothing detergent has been really lovely for like the past year or so, clothes still smell after you get them out, etc. Anyway Tide is now advertising MEGA PODS with MORE DETERGENT so it's pretty clear the game was to make the normal pods lovely on purpose and sell you the original formula at higher prices

https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.970114416.html
https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.970035536.html

Original is 31ct for $11, "MEGA PODS" are 25ct for $16. lol

ive used the tiniest bit of detergent both for the laundry and the dishwasher for years and both always come out just fine. ive long since been convinced that the suggested amount are massive overkill so that you buy more.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

That Works posted:

ive used the tiniest bit of detergent both for the laundry and the dishwasher for years and both always come out just fine. ive long since been convinced that the suggested amount are massive overkill so that you buy more.

with the reusable diapers we also noticed that too much detergent over time builds up and they start to smell, and now we use significantly less than recommended without problem

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Goldman Says Treasury Will Drop Under Its Cash Minimum June 8-9

The actual, "we're out of money," date is coming into clearer focus.

If we’re planning to collapse, could we make it quick? I have a thing on the 14th that I’d really just rather not.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

lol, people that work hard for their money don't blow it on dumbass ape jpegs and this dude is out there lighting his trust fund money on fire while telling the people calling him stupid lazy poors

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

That Works posted:

same for the laundry, we buy the biggest liquid container we can get and despite having very dirty outdoor hobbies and a family that thing lasts over a year

our dishwasher is an otherwise brilliant Bosch but it works much better with the pods than gel/powder which is very frustrating

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

same for the laundry, we buy the biggest liquid container we can get and despite having very dirty outdoor hobbies and a family that thing lasts over a year

our dishwasher is an otherwise brilliant Bosch but it works much better with the pods than gel/powder which is very frustrating

weird, i have a bosch dw and just add the very lowest amount of liquid detergent each time, no issues.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
https://www.propublica.org/article/college-high-school-research-peer-review-publications

quote:

As these differentiators recede and the number of applications soars, colleges are grappling with the latest pay-to-play maneuver that gives the rich an edge: published research papers. A new industry is extracting fees from well-heeled families to enable their teenage children to conduct and publish research that colleges may regard as a credential.

At least 20 online research programs for high schoolers have sprung up in the U.S. and abroad in recent years, along with a bevy of journals that publish the work. This growth was aided by the pandemic, which normalized online education and stymied opportunities for in-person research.

[...]

“You’re teaching students to be cynical about research,” said Kent Anderson, past president of the Society for Scholarly Publishing and former publishing director of the New England Journal of Medicine. “That’s the really corrosive part. ‘I can hire someone to do it. We can get it done, we can get it published, what’s the big deal?’”
College-track students are finally learning something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

there’s absolutely no way those “programs” are having the kids actually do anything