Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FilthyImp posted:

You could do any of the Carvana/Shift online sales ones

no

no.

do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

cruft posted:

What are the options for buying a new car in the united states, without having to go through a dealer? Seems like it's Tesla, Polestar, Rivian, maybe Volvo? Anyone else?

Costco has a program where you get a price up front and if they don't honor it you complain to Costco and ??? happens.

Bought my current ICE car that way. Got a quote for a flat price online, went in and bought it for that price. Try still tried to sell add-ons but i respectfully declined.

Not sure they have anything in place for BEVs

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jymmybob posted:

Went to buy a Kia EV6 GT yesterday and got a taste of the Kia dealer experience. Agreed on $54,500 + tax/title/etc via Kia financing during the week so I took the fam out 2.5 hours to ParkSide Kia in Knoxville to do the paperwork and drive back. Got there and saw what looked like my car in a side lot covered in dirt and mud but saw it had a preowned sticker so I relaxed a little. Went and set up the test drive while they 'got my car out of detailing' and lo and behold, it's the abused shitbox and it has 2800 miles on it.

It also had:
- dirt all over the rear seat area. Looked like a kid and muddy dog played back there.
- trash all over the car. Apparently the GM is using it as his personal dumpster
- GoPro mount on the dash
- absolutely shredded tires. It looked like a tire set after a trackday, just bizarre wear patterns.
- Both right tires and wheels were destroyed. Literally metal and rubber chunks gone. Both had about 1"x2" areas missing about 1/2" deep chunks of rubber. Vibrated at highway speeds too.

Then time for talking numbers. Best they would do was $59,500. Said the number they gave me reflected the full EV rebate, then that is was because of condition, then because it was a different trim, then that they did the numbers wrong, then that they never said I never got that email. Text from said email:

"Let me go ahead to answer your question regarding the EV6 GT model you inquired about. I have great news, if you finance with KIA I actually can sell you this vehicle for 54,500 plus tags, title, taxes and fees. This special price is exclusive to financing with KIA. "

Showed them the email and asked why the car was preowned and they basically said I could pay $59,500 or maybe they wouldn't replace the wheels/tires and would cut me another $500.

Worst dealer ever and I sent Kia corporate a complaint with pictures of the original ad, email, and CPO sticker with VIN etc because seriously what a bunch of loving losers. Wasted 7 hours of a prime Saturday and about $100 in gas.

Now I get to try this again, just sell me a loving car you clowns.

Lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm really feeling the added value this dealer was providing the customer in that story

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

cruft posted:

What are the options for buying a new car in the united states, without having to go through a dealer? Seems like it's Tesla, Polestar, Rivian, maybe Volvo? Anyone else?

Going direct through Rivian was so much simpler and less painful than every dealership experience I've had.

Aesirstorm fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 22, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm really feeling the added value this dealer was providing the customer in that story

They value-added the poo poo out of that customer!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That dealer is obviously poo poo but in the current market did you really think you were going to get 7 grand off MSRP on the GT model that just came out

Right now I’d expect a 54k dollar EV6 GT to have 12 grand in unrepaired body damage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well given that the dealer told them they'd sell it for that price and goons think it's super common for dealers to lock down prices over email without doing a rug-pull I can see how they got that impression

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Costco has a program where you get a price up front and if they don't honor it you complain to Costco and ??? happens.

Bought my current ICE car that way. Got a quote for a flat price online, went in and bought it for that price. Try still tried to sell add-ons but i respectfully declined.

Not sure they have anything in place for BEVs

I've got a Bolt through Costco that way, and at the time, they were taking $3,000 off the price of the car. As far as I know it just shows up as a reduced MSRP somehow, before any other customer cash etc. incentives and rebates.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jymmybob posted:

Went to buy a Kia EV6 GT yesterday and got a taste of the Kia dealer experience. Agreed on $54,500 + tax/title/etc via Kia financing during the week so I took the fam out 2.5 hours to ParkSide Kia in Knoxville to do the paperwork and drive back. Got there and saw what looked like my car in a side lot covered in dirt and mud but saw it had a preowned sticker so I relaxed a little. Went and set up the test drive while they 'got my car out of detailing' and lo and behold, it's the abused shitbox and it has 2800 miles on it.

It also had:
- dirt all over the rear seat area. Looked like a kid and muddy dog played back there.
- trash all over the car. Apparently the GM is using it as his personal dumpster
- absolutely shredded tires. It looked like a tire set after a trackday, just bizarre wear patterns.
- Both right tires and wheels were destroyed. Literally metal and rubber chunks gone. Both had about 1"x2" areas missing about 1/2" deep chunks of rubber. Vibrated at highway speeds too.

Then time for talking numbers. Best they would do was $59,500. Said the number they gave me reflected the full EV rebate, then that is was because of condition, then because it was a different trim, then that they did the numbers wrong, then that they never said I never got that email. Text from said email:

"Let me go ahead to answer your question regarding the EV6 GT model you inquired about. I have great news, if you finance with KIA I actually can sell you this vehicle for 54,500 plus tags, title, taxes and fees. This special price is exclusive to financing with KIA. "

Showed them the email and asked why the car was preowned and they basically said I could pay $59,500 or maybe they wouldn't replace the wheels/tires and would cut me another $500.

Worst dealer ever and I sent Kia corporate a complaint with pictures of the original ad, email, and CPO sticker with VIN etc because seriously what a bunch of loving losers. Wasted 7 hours of a prime Saturday and about $100 in gas.

I don't know how much it might actually help right now but like 5-6 years ago the FTC was really into going after car dealers for this sort of thing. Idk maybe the disclaimers were in the email but if they weren't: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/?pid=B

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Jymmybob posted:

It also had:

Half serious you should report that to some local news.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Jymmybob posted:

dealer horror story
Wow that's absolutely awful. Hopefully you can find a good car somewhere that isn't poo poo.
Stories like these really make me appreciate the Volvo dealer I just showed up and came back later to buy...

priznat posted:

Anyone bought a volvo online? It’s not quite as seamless as Tesla I’ve heard, but still less prone to this kind of bullshit. Just a shame the EX90 got pushed back. Trying to keep myself from getting too interested in the V60 Recharge but drat I do love volvo wagons.
They did MSRP 'online only' (while I was there) to drive away their showroom XC40 Recharge, albeit with some reluctance, and it didn't even take that long.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
In China right now and the mall next to my office has a entire floor dedicated to various NEV manufacturers. Anything in particular anyone is interested in seeing pictures of, I can run by and take some exterior and interior photos. Huawei, Zeekr, Nio, Xpeng, Li Auto etc, they're almost all there.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 23, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I saw a Vinfast in person today and I have to say it looks nicer than it does in photos. The front lights are dumb but the car’s got a nice, unobjectionable profile.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Kia and Hyundai dealers are the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to dealers. They're the worst examples of a model that at its absolute best is opaque and inconvenient.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I forgot one of the most telling lines from before I knew something was up, I think when they were trying the "you actually were quoted a GT-Line" tactic:

"Are you sure you aren't interested in a GT-Line? Kia requires us to ask if you want a cheaper model because we're always trying to save you money."

I've had just about as many good dealer experiences as bad but that's usually because I work the numbers out ahead of time and just go in for paperwork so the shitbag ones get weeded out early. This is the first time I've ever had every part of the experience fall apart and it also happens to be the only time that it involved a small road trip too.

I have faith that there's a couple out there interested in making some money and selling me a car but we shall see. I already tried a Polestar and couldn't like the interior. I work in automotive trim and the center console and shifter parting lines were just too much. I wouldn't be able to stand looking at them every day. Rest of it was good but you can tell Kia spent all their effort on the EV6 while the C40/Polestar twins feel like afterthoughts.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The usual advice is to get all quotes and writing before you go to the dealership. Anything over the phone is hearsay

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Nitrox posted:

The usual advice is to get all quotes and writing before you go to the dealership. Anything over the phone is hearsay

"We don't share quotes until you come in because we don't want you to show it to our competitor"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nitrox posted:

“Yeah we changed our minds. Looks like you made a long trip. You sure you want to leave empty handed?”

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

TheWevel posted:

"We don't share quotes until you come in because we don't want you to show it to our competitor"

I went to a Kia dealer last year and they didn't even give me a direct price in person, just the monthly payment and the interest rate. I back-calculated the purchase price after I got home and basically noped out of it.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
When I got my Ioniq 5, the dealer gave me a suspiciously good price.  I had them deliver the car to me so that I wouldn't be wasting my time if there was some catch.  There wasn't, but it still ended up being the worst car buying experience of my life.

- The charging cable was missing, so I ended up having to make a trip to the dealer anyway.

- The protective film on the door edges and around the charging door has huge spots of dirt trapped underneath it.  They promised their vendor would call me and arrange to come out and fix it.  It has been a month, and the salesman and manager stopped returning my calls and texts.

- A couple of weeks after I got the car, I got a bill for some unpaid tolls.  The salesman had taken some toll roads when he delivered the car.  Manager asked me to send the invoice number so they could pay it.  That was a couple weeks ago and the tolls are still unpaid.  Again, nobody is returning my calls/texts about this.

I got a great deal on an amazing car, but they managed to make it impossible to recommend to other people to buy one. Amazing.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Wait, I forgot the best single exchange:

Salesman: "My boss Steve said he emailed you details about the purchase."

Me: "Nope, just you and Amber from sales who said out of state taxes won't be collected and it's all fine."

Him: "Oh, that was probably Steve, he doesn't like giving out his email or even signing into his account because we just got 2-factor authentication that's a real pain. He just uses whoever's account is logged in or tells us to log our accounts in for him to do all his email. You'll never get an email from Steve but usually he puts his name it in somewhere so check that."

Me: :stare:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Wait, I forgot the best single exchange:

Salesman: "My boss Steve said he emailed you details about the purchase."

Me: "Nope, just you and Amber from sales who said out of state taxes won't be collected and it's all fine."

Him: "Oh, that was probably Steve, he doesn't like giving out his email or even signing into his account because we just got 2-factor authentication that's a real pain. He just uses whoever's account is logged in or tells us to log our accounts in for him to do all his email. You'll never get an email from Steve but usually he puts his name it in somewhere so check that."

Me: :stare:

That sounds completely above board and not at all like Steve is wanted on multiple counts of skulduggery and wanton sketchiness.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GlassEye-Boy posted:

In China right now and the mall next to my office has a entire floor dedicated to various NEV manufacturers. Anything in particular anyone is interested in seeing pictures of, I can run by and take some exterior and interior photos. Huawei, Zeekr, Nio, Xpeng, Li Auto etc, they're almost all there.

Any coupes or roadsters?

Chronojam posted:

I've got a Bolt through Costco that way, and at the time, they were taking $3,000 off the price of the car. As far as I know it just shows up as a reduced MSRP somehow, before any other customer cash etc. incentives and rebates.

Just a caution on this - It's still completely dependent on the dealer. If they're cooperating, it can be a big savings without haggling, but it's not going to make a lousy dealer into a good one.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Failson posted:

Just a caution on this - It's still completely dependent on the dealer. If they're cooperating, it can be a big savings without haggling, but it's not going to make a lousy dealer into a good one.

There is also no actual binding agreement between the dealer and costco. They can chose to not honor it at any time. It also often excludes high demand vehicles and a lot of dealers have stopped bothering with even offering costco pricing through the pandemic shortages.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Ship the Kirkland Signature EV, costco.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Qwijib0 posted:

Comes in horrible clamshell packaging that no one can open without inflicting grievous bodily injury

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

Comes in horrible clamshell packaging that no one can open without inflicting grievous bodily injury

But you can return it at full price 5 years from now regardless of wear, as long as you can bear judging looks from your fellow shoppers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kill me now posted:

There is also no actual binding agreement between the dealer and costco. They can chose to not honor it at any time. It also often excludes high demand vehicles and a lot of dealers have stopped bothering with even offering costco pricing through the pandemic shortages.

I used a service like this once to get a decent deal but the last time I tried it the dealer just changed the price once I said I was interested. I didn’t have to make the trip so at least they didn’t waste too much of my time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

But you can return it at full price 5 years from now regardless of wear, as long as you can bear judging looks from your fellow shoppers.

People will abuse the gently caress out of that and it gets shortened to a 6 month window, anything outside of that you call a “concierge service”

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I'd buy it

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It'd just be, like, an EV6 with a Kirkland Signature logo in place of the Kia one.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, good, GM is introducing yet another massive EV.

If I didn't know any better I'd think they had suddenly decided to follow the Tesla model of making really expensive EVs before they make cheap ones.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

cruft posted:

If I didn't know any better I'd think they had suddenly decided to follow the Tesla model of making really expensive EVs before they make cheap ones.

You mean the company that has had a small inexpensive EV for years? If anything they are doing the opposite of Tesla and making the cheap ones first and now switching over to expensive huge ones.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kill me now posted:

You mean the company that has had a small inexpensive EV for years? If anything they are doing the opposite of Tesla and making the cheap ones first and now switching over to expensive huge ones.

They've killed off every EV they've made so far. I feel like the Bolt is dying because they couldn't figure out how to make a profit with it. So they're starting over with all these gigantor trucks.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The new equinox will be a good replacement for the bolt IF they make more than 10 of them in the first year of production. They have said "around" 30k for the base model with 250 miles of range, it'll be a solid deal after tax credits.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

cruft posted:

The next GM EV is just going to be an electric city bus with a GMC Denali badge taped to it.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Failson posted:

Any coupes or roadsters?

Only saw one that could be considered a coupe or roadster. The Neta Speedster GT. List price is apparently around USD 27,000, claimed range of around 560km. Don't know much about this company and the interior was only meh in quality.

A few other note-worthies.

NIO Et5, this is a beautiful car in and out and may be the best looking EV IMO.

Zeekr 001, the 2023 models are supposed to have 1000+ km range with CATL's latest 140 kWh batteries. Interior was ok, but a little to much weird cloth like material on the dash for my liking.

afew others, the Li Auto L7 and the IM (Intelligence in Motion) confusingly also called the L7.

EV adoption seems to be huge here. Even in the 2nd tier city where I'm at about 1/3 of the personal vehicles on the road are EV. Shanghai seems like more than half.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Only saw one that could be considered a coupe or roadster. The Neta Speedster GT. List price is apparently around USD 27,000, claimed range of around 560km. Don't know much about this company and the interior was only meh in quality.

A few other note-worthies.

NIO Et5, this is a beautiful car in and out and may be the best looking EV IMO.

Zeekr 001, the 2023 models are supposed to have 1000+ km range with CATL's latest 140 kWh batteries. Interior was ok, but a little to much weird cloth like material on the dash for my liking.

afew others, the Li Auto L7 and the IM (Intelligence in Motion) confusingly also called the L7.

EV adoption seems to be huge here. Even in the 2nd tier city where I'm at about 1/3 of the personal vehicles on the road are EV. Shanghai seems like more than half.

How big is the Zeekr? Ioniq5 sort of size? I actually like the look the interior.